PDA

View Full Version : Customer email, had a feeling. ughhh They were good paying clients.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Got 4 new clients and so far lost 2 so far. One was a store and now this customer.

Hi James. Hope all is well. I have some bad news. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to hold off using your services this year. Not sure if you are aware, Gloria got laid off last November, and between that and the massive truck repairs, things are extremely tight right now, and a major struggle. Plus the fact that I have close to $3,000 of equipment that's just sitting in the garage, makes it crazy that I'm not using it. So I'll have Elias help me until he can do it completely on his own.

Sorry for the late notice and I hope you'll have a profitable summer, especially with your new company name.

Alex

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
What I don't get is why can't they sell it and use the money for me and by then wouldn't the wife have another job?? They are very nice and rich people and they invited me to a few parties in the past. I hope it wasn't that kid that threw the rocks in the bag and hire him for cheap. Just don't get it. 3 years I only lost about 4 customers.

TuffWork
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Customers can come and go sometimes. I've been fired by people and had them call a couple of months later and hire me back. They thought they could find somebody better and cheaper. They thought wrong.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I hope the son doesn't mow the neighbors lawn because I mow that lawn as well. It's a huge lawn and the front has a crazy hill and that John Deere tractor ain't going to make it, very dangerous for the kid. I feel like crap now.

DLCS
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Tough times for everyone, maybe they are not as "rich" as they appear to be. Plus, if the kid is getting old enough to mow, then maybe they figure he should be helping around the house. My parents would never have thought about paying somone to mow their lawn, that was my job as soon as i got old enough. Don't feel bad, we have all lost them this way.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
What the hell they got art paintings worth thousands, why can't they sell there mower and us that money to pay for my services until the wife finds another job. The husband is an accountant. This sucks sorry for me bi*** I never lost a good customer before.

Raising gas prices in a crappy economy should be illegal. I hope someone shows the ceo's of the oil companies a lesson.

jsslawncare
04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
NEVER burn bridges! Wish them well and keep your feelings to your self (and remember if they were to google your name this post will appear) Money is tight for everyone. This happens to all of us and they will be replaced soon enough.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I didn't burn the bridge, learn that from you guys a few years ago. I told him I'm here for him and if he ever needs help I am only a phone call away. I told him also I hope the family is doing ok. This is what happens when you get mentally close to a customer. I mean mind wise. I gotta keep thinking I'm here to make money not friends.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
It's part of the game man. You are the last thing on their minds right now. They would rather worry about themselves then worry about keeping you employed. I would do the same thing, when times get difficult you have to cut out the luxuries. Don't worry dude, this is part of the mowing business game. They let you go because of tough times, not your quality of work. Don't beat yourself up. Move on.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-18-2011, 08:30 PM
"I gotta keep thinking I'm here to make money not friends."
Yes, and remember this very well, the customer ain't your friend! I have lost 6 so far this month from job losses to someone cheaper. Its just tough times right now and who knows, he may very well call you back at sometime.

mowerbrad
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
You have said that they should just sell the $3k worth of equipment in their garage or sell some of their expensive paintings to pay for your services, but what you don't seem to realize is that those are only temporary solutions. Why would someone sell their pocessions just to keep the landscaper employed, especially when they already have all the equipment needed to maintain their property themselves?

I'm sure they have other bills that need to be paid so certain things need to go. Lawn care is not a necessary service, they can do that themselves, so typically you will be the first to go. Who knows how long the wife will be unemployed and maybe the husband isn't making as much money as he used to. Like I said, they are surely trying to cut back on their expenses and your services really aren't "needed". Sure it sucks, but things like that happen.

ALC-GregH
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
What I don't get is why can't they sell it and use the money for me and by then wouldn't the wife have another job?? They are very nice and rich people and they invited me to a few parties in the past. I hope it wasn't that kid that threw the rocks in the bag and hire him for cheap. Just don't get it. 3 years I only lost about 4 customers.

What the hell they got art paintings worth thousands, why can't they sell there mower and us that money to pay for my services until the wife finds another job. The husband is an accountant. This sucks sorry for me bi*** I never lost a good customer before.

Raising gas prices in a crappy economy should be illegal. I hope someone shows the ceo's of the oil companies a lesson.

You sound VERY selfish with the comments in bold.

For the record, I've only lost 1 customer in 4 years and she was a pita and I told her she'll need to find someone else to service her property. This was in my first year. I've had near perfect retention on my customer list outside of her. I've also grown considerably this season to the point I can barely keep up. I got 2 calls today that are referrals. Chances are, I'll get the work from them. They even asked if I had business cards they could have to give my number to others. Mind you, I haven't even given them a estimate and they want to refer my services! Yes I'm that good. :D Today was my best day in business. I made a cool 1K in 9hrs.

gebby
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
offer a trade for the mowing equipment, then you can sell. Just a idea.

PerfectEarth
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM

wow....I will echo this. This is the exact opposite of how you need to look at your clients. The vast majority of my customers are very well off... and I would NEVER think to question how they spend- or say to myself "OH they can afford this....etc" You have no idea what their business is- nor should you.

Lawn care and landscaping is a luxury for homeowners.... truth hurts, but you are not high on their "spending priority" list.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I didn't mean to say that I was just pissedoff at the moment.I am not selfish!! Today I sat down and had coffee with my old customer that is 98 years old and did some little things for free for her because her husband died a few years ago and she is alone. So I am far from selfish. Just that when I am mad I tend to say things I don't mean.

The customer is right makes no sense his stuff is sittin in the garage. The son did it a few years ago and gave up and they hired me. Now the economy is falling in CT pretty had finally so I don't blame them.

What makes me shocked is that in a way were just there rebound just like dating. They try it themselves or hire someone else and if it doesn't work well they hire us back.

bel-nor
04-18-2011, 08:58 PM
solo I was glad to see post #8. I had something similar happen offered to help the family member get better aquainted with the task being taken on, and a few tips on keeeping the equipment running and storage for the end of last years season. Got several references that turned out to be from that family. The entire experience was approached professionally and friendly. This economy is rough, and thats why I tell a few guys here don't raise your prices $5.00 when you don't even use a full gallon of gas. It can always "just get mowed" stay focused. Good luck man!

rain man
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
"I gotta keep thinking I'm here to make money not friends."
Yes, and remember this very well, the customer ain't your friend! I have lost 6 so far this month from job losses to someone cheaper. Its just tough times right now and who knows, he may very well call you back at sometime.

Agreed. In the end its no more and no less.

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry for this immature post but I am kinda young in this business. I know all the other older guys or people that have been in business will just laugh this off and I gotta stay mature. This scenery is like when I was 15 and lost my first girlfriend lol but as you get older you tend to laugh it off or not take it seriously. This is the kind of stuff my old boss didn't teach me.

The hardest thing in any business is the customers. Also there is only so much of a relationship you can build with a customer and so close you can get but never forget that the most they will ever be is just a customer to you...... Blood is Blood and Money is Money....

daveyo
04-18-2011, 09:23 PM

I suggest you get with the times, no offense. Why the heck should they have to pull moves just to keep you on board, that doesn't even make sense. To me your thinking is wrong, wish them the best and in the future if things pick up for them you'll be back, just the way it is has nothing to do with you.

topsites
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Hey man I feel you there, I find that for us solos it's hard not to take it personally and especially when I feel like...
Well, I lost one too and mine said "nothing against you personally" and so then almost right away I'm thinking
"Well if it ain't nothing against me why drop me!"
:laugh:

But I try and not look at it that way, they don't mean it like that it's just there's no nice way of saying good bye
and at least they tried not to rub a bunch of crap in my face and I have to try and appreciate it for that
and a lot of folks are struggling as bad or worse but I do so know exactly where you are coming from.

So I wish you the best in getting over the customer-drop-you blues.

Peace

soloscaperman
04-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Hey man I feel you there, I find that for us solos it's hard not to take it personally and especially when I feel like...
Well, I lost one too and mine said "nothing against you personally" and so then almost right away I'm thinking
"Well if it ain't nothing against me why drop me!"

But I try and not look at it that way, they don't mean it like that it's just there's no nice way of saying good bye
and at least they tried not to rub a bunch of crap in my face and I have to try and appreciate it for that
and a lot of folks are struggling as bad or worse but I do so know exactly where you are coming from.

So I wish you the best in getting over the customer-drop-you blues.

Peace

Thanks TOPSITES, I was expecting something harsh from you but you feel where I am coming from. You are right about SOLO people like us because we tend to be very close to our customers then the big LCO's that sit in there AC room doing the billing while they got 3 mexicans doing there work.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
You may run your business however is best for you, but I personally wouldn't ever sit down with one of my customers over coffee (or hot-chocolate, i don't drink coffee) unless we were discussing an upcoming project and working out a proposal. I have found that having too much of a personal relationship is dangerous in this type of business. But if it works for you than more power to you man. I treat my customers very friendly and keep our lines of communication very open and when i talk to them i like to shoot the breeze for a couple minutes and thats about it. I've found that is best for my operation. Bottomline, just a word of caution in trying to become too friendly with people.

letzgoblues
04-18-2011, 09:58 PM

For the record, I've only lost 1 customer in 4 years and she was a pita and I told her she'll need to find someone else to service her property. This was in my first year. I've had near perfect retention on my customer list outside of her. I've also grown considerably this season to the point I can barely keep up. I got 2 calls today that are referrals. Chances are, I'll get the work from them. They even asked if I had business cards they could have to give my number to others. Mind you, I haven't even given them a estimate and they want to refer my services! Yes I'm that good. :D Today was my best day in business. I made a cool 1K in 9hrs.

It is normal to lose customers every year! I bet almost everyone on this site loses customers yearly! People move, die, are a pain in your butt so you drop them and other reasons. Wow so are you going to cry when someone moves? You sound like you are full of it! Pull your head out of the sky and come back to reality no one cares how good you think you are!

madisonpressurewashing
04-18-2011, 10:47 PM
never burn bridges! Wish them well and keep your feelings to your self (and remember if they were to google your name this post will appear) money is tight for everyone. This happens to all of us and they will be replaced soon enough.

post of the day award

vencops
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
You could always sell all your equipment and pay someone mow your yard.

With the profits gained from the sale.....you could kick back for a while....or, it would tide you over until you found a job.

:)

ashgrove landscaping
04-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Sounds like you do get jealous. geesh. You lost a customer. So what. It happens. Move on and get over it.

soloscaperman
04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Sounds like you do get jealous. geesh. You lost a customer. So what. It happens. Move on and get over it.

Well it's shocking when it's one of the customers you lease expect.

Get Some...
04-19-2011, 05:56 AM
You could always sell all your equipment and pay someone mow your yard.

With the profits gained from the sale.....you could kick back for a while....or, it would tide you over until you found a job.

:)

:laugh: :hammerhead:

AI Inc
04-19-2011, 06:15 AM
It's part of the game man. You are the last thing on their minds right now. They would rather worry about themselves then worry about keeping you employed. I would do the same thing, when times get difficult you have to cut out the luxuries. Don't worry dude, this is part of the mowing business game. They let you go because of tough times, not your quality of work. Don't beat yourself up. Move on.

First goes the cleaning lady, then the lawnboy.

32vld
04-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Since 2007 the economy has taken a dump.

Jobs allowed to get out source.

Jobs being insourced (illegals not being stopped).

Business' closing or moving out of state.

New jobs created pay 1/4 of the jobs they replaced.

Still high unemployment.

People still getting laid off due the economy.

AND this guy is surprised the economy has caused him to lose a customer.

Teenage son + garage full of equipement = free labor/work

Why pay when you have a son to exploit.

As a parent you have to get something back after all those years of feeding and clothing that young man.

Get Some...
04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Since 2007 the economy has taken a dump.

Jobs allowed to get out source.

Jobs being insourced (illegals not being stopped).

Business' closing or moving out of state.

New jobs created pay 1/4 of the jobs they replaced.

Still high unemployment.

People still getting laid off due the economy.

AND this guy is surprised the economy has caused him to lose a customer.

Teenage son + garage full of equipement = free labor/work

Why pay when you have a son to exploit.

As a parent you have to get something back after all those years of feeding and clothing that young man.

Well said....
Personally, I am amazed that mid income folk's pay me what they do to get out of doing some physical labor.......

soloscaperman
04-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I like this thread. Seeing the truth spoken and the causes.

fivestarlandscapes
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
When people pay to have their property maintained, they start to forget how much work it really is. They start to think, "well, it only takes johhny 20 minutes to do the lawn, maybe I should just do it myself and save the money." Then, they go out to the back of the shed, find the old push mower they have had for a decade and get that going. Then they realize it takes an hour just to mow the yard and they now have a bunch of clippings to deal with. They also realize that because they dont have a trimmer, the turf is encroaching into the planting beds and the grass around obstacles is a foot tall. Then the realization that maybe paying Johnny $50 bucks a visit to do a good job maintaing the lawn was really not that bad afterall. This is the point where I like to come in. I like it when a potential customer tells me, "well, I used to do It but Id rather have someone else do it." This tells me that the potential customer has realized that its too much work for them, they do not want to do it ever again and possibly they realize they cannot perform the trimming and edging necessary for a quality appearance. I have actually had a customer give me his push mower because he said if he kept it, he would think about going back to mowing himself. He said if it was gone, he would not consider going back to doing it himself. But, the lawn guy is always the first to go when there are financial issues that warrant cutting back on spending.

soloscaperman
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
One of you guys said something about services versus personal expenses or objects. Mowing is a repeated service and weekly payment. An expensive painting or buying expensive foods or cars is a personal thing and is something that makes them happy and is priceless. Selling it will only last so long. I mean if he wanted me for the next year he would of sold the mower that sat for so long but it sounds like there in a pickle for years to come unfortunately. He is realizing that he has more time on his hands and his son and would rather pay his son then me because family comes first and I gotta understand that.

jsslawncare
04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I didn't burn the bridge, learn that from you guys a few years ago. I told him I'm here for him and if he ever needs help I am only a phone call away. I told him also I hope the family is doing ok. This is what happens when you get mentally close to a customer. I mean mind wise. I gotta keep thinking I'm here to make money not friends.

I say the samething. I'm just a phone call away.