PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol!?!?!

Genlandscape
04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm sure there are a number of threads on Lawnsite about this subject... However I didn't bother searching. I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy Lawnsite for the past few months, and thought I'd throw it out there.

What is your opinion on Ethanol in gasoline, and how it is affecting our small engines?

I am having issues with my Kohler carbs eating up return diphragms, and I'm at the end of my rope. And to think that the half the feds want to double the ethanol content in pump gas. Wish I could afford to convert my entire fleet to diesel!!

RTR Landscaping
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm getting a product called Startron from my dealer. It completely eliminates the ethanol. Ethanol is very hard on all engines both 2 and 4 cycle. It attacks all rubber parts(fuel lines,diaphrams in carbs) and it also pulls moisture out of the air making water in your tank. This Startron really works well. It's not too expensive, we pay $6.95 for enough to treat 48 gallons of fuel.

FryDaddy
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I quit using gas with ethanol in my mowed & 2 strokes. Only ethanol free 93 octane found at two gas stations where I live. As stated earlier, it will make water in the tanks which made my 27 kohler sputter like it had problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
04-18-2011, 11:20 PM
You are correct about water. Also it breaks down faster. Any gas older than three weeks old is no good. Aim for 89-93 octane fuel, these fuels usually are ethonal free, at least in my area.

Sackett
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm getting a product called Startron from my dealer. It completely eliminates the ethanol. Ethanol is very hard on all engines both 2 and 4 cycle. It attacks all rubber parts(fuel lines,diaphrams in carbs) and it also pulls moisture out of the air making water in your tank. This Startron really works well. It's not too expensive, we pay $6.95 for enough to treat 48 gallons of fuel.

Startron is good stuff, but there is not a product out there that "eliminates" ethanol. You still need to try and avoid ethanol fuel, but if your like those of us that live near high population municipalities, you have to go TWO counties over to get 100% gasoline.
Posted via Mobile Device

gasracer
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
The local repair shops are covered up with issues from Ethanol. I have been lucky since I live near the lake a couple of stations still carry Ethanol free gas for all the boaters.Using 89 or 93 octane will help some.

krackerjack9
04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Yep flex fuel is what you are getting Flex 85 I think is the offical term. The manufactors went to a cheaper fuel line and ethanol starts breaking it down which cause the fuel line to collapse in on itself. Upgrade to better fuel lines 90% of your problem is solved. now for the diaphrams got no answer for that one, The manufactors have to be addressing this issue soon. FI will be the answer to most of the issues,Might see a bigger battery or altenator for electrical upgrades, Ethanol is a good fuel but has less BTUs than gasoline which inturn means less power per wieght so you need more fuel to make the same power .
But if I was going to bet on a what fuel source is going to moving up the ladder its going to be natural gas liquified.