PDA

View Full Version : Stander X

THG
04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I demoed a 52" Sentar Sport last week and it did not hold hills as well as my 48" Scag Tiger Cat. This Friday I am picking up a Demo Stander X in 52". My dealer says the Stander X will outperform the Tigercat on hills by a longshot so we will see. Do any of you have input on the Stander X ??

grassman177
04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
i used it and it performed just like a regular stander which was good

THG
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Does a regular stander outperform a Sentar on slopes?

WJC
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
THG, I have a sentar sport and always thought it was pretty good on hills. But when you demo that X model, let us know what you think about that new deck. I'm hoping that the new deck works good in Springtime conditions.

THG
04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I will let you know how it works. I am hoping the wider tires provide good traction on slopes. My dealer said the new deck design is a big improvement but I have not used a Wright in the past to know how the old deck performed. The main issue I had with the Sentar is it didnt allow you to lean forward as much as the Stander when standing up on it.

grassman177
04-18-2011, 10:13 PM
i dont think they were much different as i have mowed with a sentar when we had three of them. very agile machines.

i demoed the stander x and it was a much better cut, but did not get to test in spring growth which would make all the difference in the world.

WJC
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
My sentar sport has the 8" wheels on it and I put 1" wider tires on it to help with rutting. I dont know if you tried the one with 8" tires or not. Also I very rarely stand up on my mower, usually only to keep the front end from bouncing on really bumpy yards. The old decks are bad with getting a lot of grass buildup under the deck, and they don't disperse the grass very well either so you end up getting clumps of grass all over the yard. So when you use that X model, after awhile stop and check under the deck to see if it is building up. Also make sure it's clean under there before you start. I waiting to see how the new deck performs because Wright is putting that deck on a sitdown version of the Stander X, it will be called a Sport X.

THG
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Grassman,
Do you use a stander today? If so what kind?

alexschultz1
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
the stander x is way better at holding onto hills than the sentar. it has a much lower center of gravity and you can really control your body weight on it

THG
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
WJC,
The Sentar I demoed had the smaller tires on it. The distributor said if I were to buy it then they would put the wider tires and add the Donaldson air filter on it. I acutally only demoed the Sentar because at that time they did not have the Stander X for me to try. I will put the new deck through the test and let you know how it goes.

WJC
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
WJC,
The Sentar I demoed had the smaller tires on it. The distributor said if I were to buy it then they would put the wider tires and add the Donaldson air filter on it. I acutally only demoed the Sentar because at that time they did not have the Stander X for me to try. I will put the new deck through the test and let you know how it goes.

OK , great, I will look for your results. Yeah I put the canister filter on mine and it made a TREMENDOUS difference in staying clean.

WJC
04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey THG, just wondering if you got to demo the Stander X and what you thought of it. Especially the deck.

THG
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I am replying from a blackberry so over look any typo's. I actually still have the mower as I may buy it. The handling is awesome and really sticks to hills. The mower deck was clean as it was brand new when I got it. We cut a lot of grass, including grass that was wet due to the rains we had and the deck dispersed everything out with no clumping. As far as this decks dispersing clippings, it performed equal to my Scag velocity deck which is very good. This Wright deck actually seemed to stripe better than the scag and cut was just as good. Please keep in mind that I am new to using Wright equipment but based on about 7 hours of usage I think I am sold. Let me know if you want any further data. I may have some photos I could load tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey thanks for the reply, I really like what you had to say about that new deck. I knew that it had rained and was wondering if you were cutting any wet grass with the mower to see how it would do. I have been keeping my fingers crossed that the deck would perform well because I would like to stick with Wright mowers because that is what I'm used to.

grassman177
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
thought the same thing, but the toro was more comfy and actually cut nicer. what kind of grass were you cutting?

THG
04-27-2011, 10:48 PM
I was cutting tall fescue and some fescue blend with common bermuda. It took me a little while to get used to the feel of the Wright controls but the agility, balance and cutting really impressed me. My main goal was to find a machine that would handle slopes and hills but after using this mower it makes me question why use a ZTR at all.

pugs
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
As far as this decks dispersing clippings, it performed equal to my Scag velocity deck which is very good. This Wright deck actually seemed to stripe better than the scag and cut was just as good.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Wright basically has a built in striping kit. Similar to the Ferris ICD decks also. Basically a strip of rubber at the rear of the deck.

WJC
05-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey THG, now that you've had your stander x for a little longer, are you still pleased with the performance of the mower?

j-ville native
05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Compared to zero turns, are standers or "stand-on mowers" any more abrasive to the turf? I have never used a stander.

grassman177
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
they are not, unless you are a hard operator

THG
05-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Very satisfied with the mower. It was a short learning curve to get used to this mower and we are very satisfied with all aspects of it. We have not experienced any problems with clumping or with the cut at all. I actually think it has a better finished cut than the velocity decks. Handling is where it really shines and in that department it runs circles around our ZTR's. So far even the fuel gauge is accurate.

WJC
05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Thats good to hear because I'm interested in getting a new mower, but I'm waiting to see how the 61" version of the new deck works. But atleast I know the 52" is good.