PDA

View Full Version : $20K In Stolen Landscaping Equipment Seized in Sanford, Fl

FLAhaulboy
04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/27589508/detail.html

Updated: 6:21 pm EDT April 18, 2011

SANFORD, Fla. -- Sanford police say they've recovered tens of thousands of dollars in stolen goods, but don't know who it all belongs to. The tools and other equipment, mostly for landscaping, were all recovered as a surprise during a drug investigation.
Sanford police have all the equipment you'd need to landscape, trim trees, even buff floors, after a drug bust turned into a huge stolen property case. Cops served a search warrant last week looking for drugs and found dozens of expensive pieces of equipment, all stolen.
"Apparently, these people were stealing these items, taking them to the drug dealer and trading them for crack cocaine. Now we're stuck with all of the property here at the station," a Sanford police official said.
The problem is that police don't know who most of the items belong to, and they believe there are many victims out there who want their property back and want justice.
Police noticed a pattern with a number of the items; they've been spray-painted brown, investigators believe, in an effort to disguise the stolen property. But several of the tools did have identifying marks and three victims have been identified, including the city of Sanford, Volusia County and Seminole County; all were missing a variety of landscaping and tree cutting tools.
But without victims, there is no way to charge the still unnamed suspect with dealing in stolen property, along with the drug charges.
"No victim, there's really no way we can help anybody," a Sanford police official said.
"And no way you can prosecute?" WFTV reporter Steve Barrett asked.
"Correct," the official replied.
Any items not claimed will simply be auctioned off 90 days after the case is closed. Investigators believe they have more than $20,000 worth of property and they say the number of victims they can identify will dramatically impact the number of charges they can file in the case.

Tim Smith
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Good they hit me hard need to see if my stiff is there
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Yo

Tim Smith a lawnsite member from Sanford Fla. is one of the victims. He has been hit several time.

Tim Smith
04-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ric now I get to put a face to my anger going tomorrow to look at all of it and hopefully get some of it back
Posted via Mobile Device

gregory
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
good luck tim.. that type of stuff hits hard..chop off there hands then they can only steel twice after the 2nd time they can figure out a way to wipe there ass...

Tim Smith
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I bought a special new toy for the it's called THE JUDGE google it they got me for over $30,000 the bastards the even more if you count the damage they did getting at it
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ric now I get to put a face to my anger going tomorrow to look at all of it and hopefully get some of it back
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim

when I read this I immediately called you and left a message when you didn't answer. Then I posted my reply.

Gregory

Yep that is one thing the Muslims do that I agree with. They also do it in Public and any one in the area is required to watch. I have had several friends who worked oil fields in the Middle East and they even have video of public executions. BTW they Cut off the Right Hand and left foot for stealing. that way it is to hard to hold a crutch.

Keith
04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
They got me for over 15k about 18 months ago. Luckily insurance covered most of it, but I would still love to look the stuff over. You know there is going to be no sign of a serial on any of the stuff though.

Tim Smith
04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Mine to insurance covered us it was just the hassle
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
subbing for updates.

unkownfl
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Just lost my hand helds Friday night. Bastards took the power heads off and slipped them right off the racks.

Keith
04-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Mine to insurance covered us it was just the hassle
Posted via Mobile Device

I notified the insurance company as soon as it happened, but did not make the claim until almost three months later. I was sure I would track it down on craigslist or word of mouth. But I never did. They did find my truck, relatively undamaged, in Pine Hills 15 days later. I got pretty lucky there.

Tim, if you think about it, see if you see any Kawasaki handheld equipment when you go to look. I don't think Kawi is all that common. I looked at the video a couple times, and I think I see only a Kawi blower, but it had the right hand throttle. I'm sure my stuff has been long gone.

Tim Smith
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Will do
Posted via Mobile Device

JFGauvreau
04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
They put the auctions after 90 days if no one reclaims them, and I'm assuming at the auctions the tools gets low-ball in value, that just sucks for the owners.

Keith
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I kind of wonder how much of it is reported, only to never have the serial numbers logged into any kind of database. I know that my trailer shows up on FDLE's stolen property site, but none of the other 15 pieces with serial numbers are in there. I honestly never saw the serials recorded on the report with the exception of the truck and trailer.

Tim Smith
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Yep happens all the time
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Good Luck Tim, hope you find some of your stuff.

Johnagain
04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Tim, forgot to ask you before I left today, if any of the equipment that Sanford Police had was yours?

Tim Smith
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
No not mine but a lot of stuff there
Posted via Mobile Device