PDA

View Full Version : Waist high weeds and grass

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Im tryin to start a landscaping business and i need help pricing a job....the yard is roughly 100x20 feet...all waist high weeds and crab grass...she just wants it all knocked down and picked up.. no hauling off just bagged up...what should i charge?

doyles
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
you just have to really look at the property and figure how many hours it will take you then times hours by what you whant to make an hour and thats your price

CashMaintenance
04-18-2011, 10:48 PM
there is no way to answer that question, there are way too many variables like what equipment are you using, does it have a bagger, how many rocks and limbs are you going to run over, how fast do you work and the list goes on. figure out how long it's going to take and charge her your hourly rate x however many hours you think it's going to take. obviously the number is going to be way different if you have a walker and can mow/bag it all in way less then an hour versus if you have a 21'' push mower with no bag and have to mow it 10x to knock it down and then rake up all of the clippings. you will have to learn how to give estimates very quickly or else you will be hating life working your butt off to make pennies because you gave an estimate that is way too low. i am not trying to be harsh just trying to be honest. i can promise you no one on lawnsite is going to post a number that you should charge besides someone saying $5 and someone saying $1000. i was going to say $5 but figured i would not be a smarta@@ today. so good luck and make sure to give a fair price that will make the customer and YOU happy when you are all done.

Get Some...
04-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Rent a brushcutter mower, include rental in price.......
Maybe two hour's to transport rental and mow.
Maybe three more hour's to put stuff in brown bag's and put them at the curb....

So five-six hour's X what you need to make an hour plus overhead and rental.

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah I know peeps are harsh here...thing is I'm using crappy black n decker weed eaters and a craftsman mower so I know it will take some time...not even sure the mower will do the job...was just trying to see what some pros would think
Posted via Mobile Device

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
If you have waist high weeds leave the craftsman at home. rent a commercial weedeater and up charge it to the customer,,

start weedeating from the top of the weeds down to the bottom.. your first "strip" you should only chop the weeds at about 60%. if you dont do this and try to buzz them off at ground level it will just wrap the weeds around the head of the weedeater and clog it up. end up spending your whole day yanking weeds from around your weedeater head. take a rake or blower and clear out all of the excess weeds that you have cut. then go back over it maybe 2 times until you can buzz the weeds close to ground level.

i'd say its gonna take you everybit of 4 hours....good luck

weeze
04-18-2011, 11:12 PM
are there woods or anything near by?..if so cut it with the mower and blow it all into the woods :)

CashMaintenance
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
i would do anything you could to try and borrow a friend or neighbors riding mower. even a crappy craftsman riding mower will do it with a few passes im sure, you are not going to have any fun/luck with a cheap weed eater, especially if it's electric as i'm assuming from black and decker. i don't know about the rental idea since for one you have to be a certain age to rent stuff (idk how old you are) and second thats going to eat any profit. there is only so much that you are going to be able to charge that someone will accept and pay... good luck with however you get it done though, as long as you're happy with the amount of money you made versus how much work it took, then you had a good day and you're doing better than many people in the U.S. right now. :usflag:

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:20 PM
are there woods or anything near by?..if so cut it with the mower and blow it all into the woods :)

Ya cuz rotting grass smells great!

You can cut it with a craftsman although I do not recomend it because it is harsh on the belts.
20x100 is fairly small. You shouldn't be there more than 1.5-2 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

CashMaintenance
04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
better yet find someone with big equipment that can do it quickly, pay them to do it, and charge the customer a little bit more than you paid the company that did the work. easy money haha. you could be a "Landscape Contractor"

weeze
04-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Ya cuz rotting grass smells great!

You can cut it with a craftsman although I do not recomend it because it is harsh on the belts.
20x100 is fairly small. You shouldn't be there more than 1.5-2 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

what do you think clippings that fall into lawns are?

rain man
04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
When weeds are 2 ft. high we should call it land clearing instead of landscaping.

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
what do you think clippings that fall into lawns are?

They're certainly not clumps of grass!
Those are evenly distributed, mowing and then blowing 2' tall grass is gouge to clump up in the woods and attract mice, and mosquittos.
Posted via Mobile Device

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
The reason I'm not renting equipment and trying to keep it cheap for the customer is cause it's my moms friend so I'm trying to give a good price... And I'm 28 by the way... Worked at a cemetery for 10 years so I know about good equipment but now I just have my personal crap and don't have money for good crap
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
The reason I'm not renting equipment and trying to keep it cheap for the customer is cause it's my moms friend so I'm trying to give a good price... And I'm 28 by the way... Worked at a cemetery for 10 years so I know about good equipment but now I just have my personal crap and don't have money for good crap
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll bet you didn't get too many people complaining there!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Is it a craftsman rider or push?
Posted via Mobile Device

CashMaintenance
04-18-2011, 11:38 PM
im thinkin in your situation i would say screw it and give that craftsman push mower hell haha. mow everything so that all the clippings blow towards the middle and then rake up that line of clippings and run over the whole thing a few times to chop up everything left and make it look clean. not the best way to do it but given the situation i would say that would be the easiest choice for you. i am interested to see how this works out now! haha .. i bet you could do it in under 3 hours.

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:42 PM
It's a push mower and I'm sure it won't get through that mess lol
Posted via Mobile Device

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:44 PM
I'll bet you didn't get too many people complaining there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ha good one
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
If you get the job, I hope you get a dry period to do it in.

weeze
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
They're certainly not clumps of grass!
Those are evenly distributed, mowing and then blowing 2' tall grass is gouge to clump up in the woods and attract mice, and mosquittos.
Posted via Mobile Device

haha you are funny dude

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:48 PM
It's a push mower and I'm sure it won't get through that mess lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I know you said you would like to keep prices low, go up to sun belt or w/e your local rental facility is and rent a walk behind trimmer (also called a weed eater or whip)

then once you've chopped everything down, do over it with the mower.
Or sub the job out.
Posted via Mobile Device

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
haha you are funny dude

Almost as funny as towing my equipment around in a Tonka truck.
Just kidding!
What state are you in tho because I saw you hill climbing and was wondering where the pic was taken.
Posted via Mobile Device

MisfitBobletts
04-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Well I'm not gonna sub it out...I did a job for her friend that took me about 10 hours and I charged 250 cause it was horribly bad so I know this lady will pay me good no matter what but I don't want to lowball myself or screw her out of money
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Almost as funny as towing my equipment around in a Tonka truck.
Just kidding!
What state are you in tho because I saw you hill climbing and was wondering where the pic was taken.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm in alabama lol

32vld
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Well I'm not gonna sub it out...I did a job for her friend that took me about 10 hours and I charged 250 cause it was horribly bad so I know this lady will pay me good no matter what but I don't want to lowball myself or screw her out of money
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem is every time you push that mower a foot forward it will want to stall out. So if you want to take all day pushing the mower a foot until it almost stalls then stop pushing so the engine can get it rpms back up and get $250.

Wouldn't it be better to rent a brush cutter and get it done in an hour for $250? Even if it cost $50 to rent the machine would you rather work one hour for $200 profit.

Or do you thing it better to make $250 for 8 hours and abuse the crap out of your mower?

Last you have confidence that they will pay you well then tack on the rental cost to the $250.

Get Some...
04-19-2011, 07:31 AM
The problem is every time you push that mower a foot forward it will want to stall out. So if you want to take all day pushing the mower a foot until it almost stalls then stop pushing so the engine can get it rpms back up and get $250.

Wouldn't it be better to rent a brush cutter and get it done in an hour for $250? Even if it cost $50 to rent the machine would you rather work one hour for $200 profit.

Or do you thing it better to make $250 for 8 hours and abuse the crap out of your mower?

Last you have confidence that they will pay you well then tack on the rental cost to the $250.

X2.
Best to go to do a job with the proper equipment..... I mean you can break up a concrete slab with a framing hammer......but what's the point of that?

topsites
04-19-2011, 07:33 AM
I'd quote at least double

TNGrassCutter
04-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll make a suggestion I have yet to see. I know you want to help this customer out and make some money but, let's be honest here if you don't have the proper equipment for the job, pass on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnyredd99
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
guy once told me an estimate is just that an estimate. if your estimate is it will take 4 hours to do the job x hourly wage you want to make but it really takes you 6 hours will you not charge her for the extra 2? it is what it is.... an estimate

topsites
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
guy once told me an estimate is just that an estimate. if your estimate is it will take 4 hours to do the job x hourly wage you want to make but it really takes you 6 hours will you not charge her for the extra 2? it is what it is.... an estimate

Don't you think if that worked, everyone would do it?
It's against the law to exceed an original quote by anywhere near what you are suggesting.
Seriously against the law.
Think in terms of fraud.

ashgrove landscaping
04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
better yet find someone with big equipment that can do it quickly, pay them to do it, and charge the customer a little bit more than you paid the company that did the work. easy money haha. you could be a "Landscape Contractor"

I second this idea. Then take the job over from there. That is a very small property and will take no time for someone with the right equipment. One hour at the most.

alexschultz1
04-19-2011, 09:33 PM
weed eat it and then mow and bag. charge $60 an hour

doyles
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
It's against the law to exceed an original quote by anywhere near what you are suggesting.
Think in terms of fraud.

so what are you saying if i give an estimate four 4 hours and it takes me longer what do i do stop work or tell the customer i'am sorry but i have to charge you extra
if you try to change your price because it takes you longer you will develop a bad rep and people will not call you

weeze
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Think in terms of fraud.

exactly!...so when you bid jobs like this say it will be anywhere from $200-$300 depending on how long it takes...that covers your bases...the numbers i listed were just an example and do not apply to this job you are bidding.

doyles
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
topsites i'am sorry i miss understude what you and johnyredd was saying
i agree with you and johnny is wrong you can not change your prices

mjschue
04-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Find a BAdBOY AOS Diesel. 35hp 60" Done in half hour 45min tops with the cutting.

weeze
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
you need this mower!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrexYgkHs4&feature=related

Curtis
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Big pieces of metal lurk in tall grass like that better watch out .

StanWilhite
04-20-2011, 11:34 PM
you need this mower!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YrexYgkHs4&feature=related

I saw that video a while back and was really impressed with that little mower's capability. After looking around and reading up on the mower, if my memory's right, the blade tip speed is about 10-15 % higher than what's legal here in the US.
Notice the discharge!

Sammy
04-21-2011, 03:21 AM
You must follow, "the 1/3 Rule".