PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest reason to ever lose a customer

wvaughn7
04-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Ok, so I guess this is my rant for the week. Last week we go to mow a lawn that hasn't been mowed in three weeks. :hammerhead: We get there and I say to myself "Hey this is a nice account that I am getting a good profit for I will not charge extra for this first cut to make them happy." So, anyway we mow the yard and pick up all the clippings as asked. Everything looks immaculate considering the height of the yard to begin with. When this is done I notice a few little weeds in the flowerbed by the road. So I pull them up because it takes all of 10 seconds, and I believe customers notice these things. A couple days I get a call from the lady and she says that she will be going with another service because the yard was growing back too quickly with us cutting it. She then states that it doesn't look like the blades are sharp and maybe that is why the yard isn't getting "cut good" and growing back too quick. The yard is filled with dandelions and various other weeds, and she also notices that there are too many weeds since we started mowing, but she will not let you do anything extra except mow and weedeat. No edging or anythign.

How dumb can some people be? Can she really think that we control how fast it grows?

madisonpressurewashing
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I hear dumb stuff like this everyday. I think America is realy dumbing down.

tophermaintcrew
04-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Dude, this sounds so familiar it makes me sick haha. We have had several customers in the past that have accused us of everything from 'the grass clippings are growing in the gardens'!? to, ' when you cut the grass, the clippings are peeling...thats right...peeling the paint off my garage door'. I could think of more.
:dizzy:

Get Some...
04-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Sound's like a competitor stopped by and talked to her....

wvaughn7
04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Oh well I know a competitor stopped haha. We also take care of the neighbors lawns and they say she goes through 2-4 lawn care companies a year. I am actually glad we lost this account after getting to know her, but it still confused me. At the beginning of the year she called and we gave her the price and she was like well go ahead and do it every other week, with edging, and grass clipping removal. I told her that she did not state that she wanted those things when asking for an estimate so it would be extra, especially for bagging grass that hasn't been cut in two weeks. She thought it was absurd to charge extra for going biweekly by itself and said it was the same to pick up the grass every week as every other. She declined doing anything extra and still resented our price. I guess she tried us till she could find some lowballer to mow, edge, and bag the grass for $25 all on a fairly large lawn.

weeze
04-19-2011, 12:22 AM
people are weird sometimes...why not just tell you she found someone cheaper? i wish people were more straightforward.

rain man
04-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Count your blessings...she could have stayed with you. Got one right now that I wish would go ahead and change to someone else. But noooo.....she wants to stay and be crazy. Going to have to do something.

ajslands
04-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Dam, imagine if you did the first cut free and she got rid of you after that!
Posted via Mobile Device

tophermaintcrew
04-19-2011, 12:31 AM
We're to the point that, should a customer cause us so much trouble each visit, it probably isn't worth our time and their money. So I guess sometimes its worth 'firing' the customer, cutting our loss, and moving on.

rain man
04-19-2011, 12:33 AM
I can see that. Time is money.

wvaughn7
04-19-2011, 12:36 AM
This is the main flaw I see in these guys strategies of using the first cut is free technique. I worked in the grocery store for a couple years and people have no problem taking anything that could be free. Even though it is designed to get people in the store to buy other things. Why would they think they had to stay with a company after getting that free cut? The greatest part of the story is that the day after we find out her other neighbor called and wanted us to mow weekly, for more money each time on an easier yard. I love the looks we get when we are doing a total of 5 houses around her and they are all loving it.

TuffWork
04-19-2011, 12:39 AM
I have one that's pretty bad. She won't let us blow off the back porch because if we do "leaves and grass clippings will stick in the paint". No, it is not wet paint. She's just crazy. Sometimes she'll decide that part of the yard hasn't grown enough and we'll only mow half of it. She also always has a complaint about my help. Doesn't matter who it is. If I didn't do it then it's not right. I have wanted to "fire" her several times, but I guess I'm just too nice.

weeze
04-19-2011, 12:42 AM
at least it keeps things interesting lol. better than doing the same old boring job every day like most careers haha.

TuffWork
04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
I love the looks we get when we are doing a total of 5 houses around her and they are all loving it.

I've got a guy I used to mow for in high school, but he fired me basically because he's perfectionist and a jerk. I can usually make it "perfect" for the perfectionists we do work for but there was just no pleasing that guy. He would literally YELL at me. I think I was 14 at the time. Anyway, we mow the house across the street and the one next door. We also do 4 more on that block. I love it when comes outside and gives me dirty looks because his neighbors yards look better than his and he has too much pride to hire me back.

TuffWork
04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
at least it keeps things interesting lol. better than doing the same old boring job every day like most careers haha.

You said it my friend. I had one desk job ever. I did it for nine months and will never do it again. BORING!!!!!!

tophermaintcrew
04-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Its priceless when you still cut the neighbour's house and they love it, especially when the guy they replace you with cuts in circles and takes half the day to do the same job. Some of our customers have most of the day, if not week to think about themselves and their lawn and yeah its annoying, but I guess you cant fire them all.

buttaluv
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I love it when people call and say " I have dandelions....you put that Crabgrass preventer down, why do I have dandelions" or the ones that have a yard full of crabgrass in April....I don't even argue with these people anymore...they can use someone else.

Golfpro21
04-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I would have said good bye soon as she asked for bi-weekly cutting....no way you can keep a lawn looking great bi weekly cutting, you would be cutting more than 1/3 of the blade off, which stresses the lawn out......is harder on your machines, and bagging it, well have fun with that.

So if you have a full mowing schedule, bi-weekly cutting screws that right up....unless you have an entire day each week devoted to bi-weekly cuts

topsites
04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
It took me years to understand, and I still don't always see it but customers don't always
say it the way it is, and they don't always mean exactly the way they say...

Why that is so, any number of possible reasons...
For example that thing with the porch, I have clambered up on porches to blow them off just to find
out it was too rickety for me to be standing on, dang thing nearly collapsed under me...

Get it?

Like maybe the customer is too embarrassed to want to tell me that they haven't spent the money,
they know they should but then again maybe they don't have it and besides, who the hell am I to tell
them how to spend it?

Just have to learn to take things for what it is.