PDA

View Full Version : Travertine-Marble Paver Install Questions

yardworks, inc.
04-19-2011, 12:12 AM
I was needing some info on sand thickness and the proper way to set the pavers. They are one inch thick pavers from Olympic Stone. I had read on here that someone laid 1/2 plywood on top the did initial compaction. Is this ok or not. Also what about joint sand. Any info would be great. I have alot of experience with concrete pavers just not these. Thanks again.

zedosix
04-19-2011, 06:59 AM
I guess that could all depend on the size of the stone, larger they are the easier they will break. Be careful, compactor size will come into play here.

yardworks, inc.
04-19-2011, 11:31 PM
8x8, 8x16, and 16x24 are the dimensions, any other info will be appreciated

zedosix
04-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I believe that setting them on a mostly compacted sand base is best, if they are on 1" of loose sand the odds are that they will crack when you compact them. Check out some of the techo-bloc videos, they do show some techniqes there on setting slabs on a sand base. If you must compact then you'll need to at the very least, lighten the impact with non woven textile laid on top and a 1/4" sheet plywood. But I'm telling you 1" is way to thin to compact with tiles in the 16 x 24" size. Thats just too much in my opinion.

yardworks, inc.
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info. Would you just set the pavers with a mallet as you go? Also what about joint sand, some say to wash it in since you cannot vibrate, others say just sweep.

zedosix
04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info. Would you just set the pavers with a mallet as you go? Also what about joint sand, some say to wash it in since you cannot vibrate, others say just sweep.

I would use a mallet and sweep polysand when you're finished. Never wash in polysand.

yardworks, inc.
04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Thats what I figured, I just keep hearing all sorts of different techniques on these pavers.

zedosix
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Thats what I figured, I just keep hearing all sorts of different techniques on these pavers.

There may be others who have their opinions but what is known is that compacting a 1" thick stone without any sort of protection, well lets just say I hope you have some spare stones.

yardworks, inc.
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
What about the joint sand? These pavers fit very tight. I have concerns on trying to get the sand in the joint without compacting. I just feel that whatever sand I do sweep in the joint will be blown out while blowing the pavers off.

zedosix
04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
So there are no spacers on the stone I take it? Can you lay them with a small space or do they have to go tight together?

yardworks, inc.
04-22-2011, 05:40 PM
The picture the homeowner has shows the joints tight.

ryde307
04-23-2011, 12:32 PM
We have a similair project coming up. A friend works for a large company and I know his boss pretty well. They lay 1000's of feet of this every year. I asked about the same thing you are what the do is get your base set then the use 1/2" clear to level. No sand. The goal is to basically lay it on the base i would think a small bit of sand would be ok to level. Install edge restraint and do not compact. also when laying the stone is never perfect so leave small gaps use a coin or something as a spacer. Sand the joints when done.
Thats kind of one long sentance but hope that makes sense.

ryde307
04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Landscaperesources dot com is his stone distributor website. They wholesale stone and also have an install company. The feature stone oyster quartzite is a really cool stone it from china and he has a shipment on its way right now.

yardworks, inc.
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
No bedding sand, I have never heard of this. I have talked to alot of people on this subject and nobody has said this.