PDA

View Full Version : chem lawn pulled up while i was there

ant
10-01-2002, 11:20 PM
got a call to look at a lawn today.
while out there to work up a price on a fert. program a car pulled up and kid (20 years old max)got out walked on the lawn" made the sign of the cross"LOL.. knocked on the door ,handed her papers and left..
i go up to the door to talk with her,handed her my price and she said that i was 30.00 more per application(32,000 sf) he was 105.00 and i was 135.00 i looked at her and said i do 35 out of 67 homes in that development ....she said she will let me know...
will see.....
anthony

greenman
10-02-2002, 12:20 AM
I say the other guy needs to raise his prices alittle. I would have priced it around 125 to 130.

Runner
10-02-2002, 11:23 AM
You should've also told her that she'll be getting alot better product (and more of it) than that straight N junk that they put down. That stuff is totally worthless for a healthy lawn. Not only that, she's getting one on one personalized service. Not some "hosejockey" that don't care about anything but making his $1100. a day quota. BIG difference. The results speak the loudest. I can get about ANY TG/CL customer I choose to talk to with just 5 minutes worth of their time.

MATTHEW
10-02-2002, 11:18 PM
It's easy to get cocky about winning over a TGCL bid, but beware. People have this perception that THEY are the "professionals".
Even if the guy is 19 yrs old and doesn't have a clue.

Make sure to have them ask what their technitions name is and if he has a licence and how much experience he has. Most often, that will seal the deal.

sirsweatsalot
10-03-2002, 12:44 AM
im sure the chem lawn guys know they don't have that neigbor hood in there pocket yet so they are trying to squeeze you out so they can raise there price later.

philk17088
02-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Even if they go with the low ball Chem-Scotts companies you will probably get them in the long run. They will get tired of paying for a marketing service and will hire a lawn care service. ex chemlawn and Scotts customers can be the most loyal once they have had a taste of service.

youcantdothat
02-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Isn't that slander? payup

CCLAWN
02-12-2003, 01:01 AM
LOL Nothing but the truth. How can It be slander.....Although the big boys put on a good game face, the clown paint comes out in the summer when the lawns roast. EMPHASISE ON THE HOMEOWNER KEEP THE ESTIMATE.....They will call next year when they continually get called and hassled for the flavor of the month to push revenue....be sure they know that and undertand the price they will pay if going with the unneeded upsells

richard coffman
02-12-2003, 02:05 AM
:cool:
I've delt with competition from tg/cm in the past, it's pretty easy to overcome there customer deceptions. I'm sure they mean well, but your presentation to the customer and the emphesis of quality work and not quanity will help win the bid. Be only yourself, and don't sell yourself short. payup

Richard Coffman/ Owner

GarPA
02-12-2003, 02:25 AM
many moons ago b4 i got into this business, i was always impressed by their trucks...Harry Homeowner sees the good looking truck....but cant see what is (or is not) coming out of the hose

richard coffman
02-12-2003, 02:30 AM
and that which is coming out of there hose "Is the deception".

Richard Coffman/Owner

philk17088
02-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by youcantdothat
Isn't that slander? payup

Not slander if it is the truth.
So sue me if you think it is, Another way to stifle competition.
It's been tried before and failed.

youcantdothat
02-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Keep your pants on sizzlechest. I was just asking a question and looking for incite on what business owners in the industry (pesticide app specific) view as slander.

Were you sued for slander? If so by whom? What were the circumstances?

No Malice Here :angel:

philk17088
02-12-2003, 04:08 PM
No Malice Here :angel:]

Yeah right, no malice

No, what I meant was that some co workers of mine were sued by Scotts and Scott's lost. But Scott's did manage to tie these guys up for six weeks in the spring with an injunction so they couldn't effectively sell their services to customers who wanted them. It was a lame attempt by a half-brained manager who was handling the Scott's buyout of another lawn service to keep people from switching.
Under handed tricks do make me angry.:angry:

youcantdothat
02-12-2003, 05:17 PM
True 'dat, True 'dat.

When our peeps seldom lawn care ops to da Scotts' man, they tryin to keep all da homey's down.

You odyssey how they dissed my dog in SFLA.

On a more serious note: I've heard the horror stories but, they're probably still losing sleep over that one.

:drinkup:

GarPA
02-12-2003, 06:27 PM
to use one of our most appropriate expressions on this Forum...

AMAZIN'...simply amazin'.......

philk17088
02-14-2003, 05:13 PM
:confused: What's amazing , the actions of Scott's or his insulting post?