PDA

View Full Version : Fun day at the dealer today

Greyst1
04-19-2011, 01:33 AM
So today i was prepping my exmark for the season (i.e. new plugs, oil change, filters, lube, wash n wax, nut'n n bolt'n everything, blah blah blah) and i guess my muscles were in Rocky 4 mode and over tightened the oil drain hose plug and snapped the fitting.

I was like O chit that did not just happened. So ok i knew i had some parts to remove (i.e starter, p. brake linkage) to get to the drain hose assembly and as anticipated no prob. Came off like i knew it would. So i figure i'll go to the toro dealer 1st because they are down the street from my house and it's a common item amongst toro and exmark since both use Kohler. Well, i strike out and they don't stock it. So i make to the trip to Akron (about 15 minutes form N. Canton) to my exmark dealer and to my surprise they don't stock it. Called another dealer about 30 min away and they didn't have it.

I was like WTF WTF, what do you dealers stock beside oil, filters, and blades.... I swear most dealers are useless, worthless, lazy BUMBS!!!

This should be a stocking item since its easily broken not to mention it's such a low dollar item.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant but for those of you who are your own mechanic i'm sure you'll understand my frustration and for you dealers on here please stock some parts other than oil n filters.

Whats even more ef'd up is they didn't even have anti scalpers in stock. This dealer was supposedly a Star dealer or what ever exmark calls a full stocking dealer. What a joke.....

TuffWork
04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Preachin to the choir my friend. I've had my best push mower (a 21" toro commercial) at the dealer for a week. I would have fixed it myself but its still under warranty. Apparently they had to order a part for it. I've got three push mowers, but we have to use two at a time sometimes and my backup is piece of crap!

Puddle of Oil
04-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Was beltz one of them?

Greyst1
04-19-2011, 01:51 AM
You know it neighbor, Troy is a hard worker which i can respect. I rarely buy parts from the dealer and typically i know what stocking and what's not which why i was a little pissed...

Anyhow, how's your season going? Was going to start mowing this week but with the rain i dunno. Did you start yet?

Puddle of Oil
04-19-2011, 02:06 AM
I cut a couple today. Then picked up a bunch sticks for a customer. So far things are off to a screwed up start with this screwed up weather.

Be greatful you have a dealer, my dealer is a chemical company and dane went out of business. So imaging how I feel when things break,lol. But beltz saved my butt when my spindle shaft broke. To bad they didn't help you out.

all ferris
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
I got you beat. I broke the left-handed bolt that hold the water pump impeller on. This is on a KAW FD731D. Who carries left handed bolts? And how are you supposed to know the bolt is left handed till you break it off with and impact?

MOHUSTLER
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
When I first became a delaer I stocked up on a bunch of random parts. I bought a drain plug and its still sitting on my shelf 6 years later.

Not takeing your dealers side because I DO have one in stock but its not a fast moving part.

Greyst1
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Yea I get it, not a fast moving part. However you stock one.... Any chance you want to open a dealership in North Canton Ohio?
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Lol thats a bit of a commute every day.

elitelawnteam1
04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
A few months ago I had my 21" Super Recycler tuned up at the dealer, brought it home, sat w/ no gas for about 2 days, attempted to start it, and wouldn't. brought it back, and they said there was a primer bulb issue, no problem, get it back, come home from school and my garage smells like gas, and lots of it. Something was wrong with the primer bulb that they just "fixed", which made the entire gas tank drain on the floor. TOTAL TRIPS MADE - 3

All the while, they've been wanting me to purchase a $7000+ Grandstand from them and i'm like saying to myself "if you can't even make the correct repairs to a little 21", what makes you think that i'll buy and have you service anything bigger?

This has been my rant of the day

ZMAX
04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
no big deal, order one and it will arrive when you can start mowing in 3 weeks.

Greyst1
04-20-2011, 12:46 AM
no big deal, order one and it will arrive when you can start mowing in 3 weeks.

To me it is a big deal, this should be a mandatory stocking item regardless of the sales history.

People started mowing last week, not me but i might try to mow Thursday depending on how saturated the soil is.

Anyhow, i did order one Monday and i'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I just expect more that's all.

Maybe my next venture is to open a dealership in Canton. Full service too, plow, spreaders, mowers, skid steers, hand helds, dump inserts, etc.... One stop shopping. Closest one in an hour away....

mowerknower
04-20-2011, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Greyst1;3995311]To me it is a big deal, this should be a mandatory stocking item regardless of the sales history.

Are you for real? If it does not sell atleast for times a year then it should not be stocked.
I can understand if its a wear item or something like that but you were the one who screwed up and broke it.

Greyst1
04-20-2011, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=Greyst1;3995311]To me it is a big deal, this should be a mandatory stocking item regardless of the sales history.

Are you for real? If it does not sell atleast for times a year then it should not be stocked.
I can understand if its a wear item or something like that but you were the one who screwed up and broke it.

Yes i did and yes i am for real. Surely i can't be the only one in ztr & walk behind history that has done this..... Low dollar (especially easily breakable) items should be stocked, especially aux engine items. I guess i'm asking to much for anti scalpers too....Right????

4 times a year, where did you pull that # from and why? Can't wait to hear this????

Btw, i spark plugs boots break all the time. Maybe not for you or for me, but i'm sure the dealer has those.....

mowerknower
04-20-2011, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=mowerknower;3995384]

Yes i did and yes i am for real. Surely i can't be the only one in ztr & walk behind history that has done this..... Low dollar (especially easily breakable) items should be stocked, especially aux engine items. I guess i'm asking to much for anti scalpers too....Right????

4 times a year, where did you pull that # from and why? Can't wait to hear this????

Btw, i spark plugs boots break all the time. Maybe not for you or for me, but i'm sure the dealer has those.....

I had a nice long response typed out but deleted it. Clearly you have no clue how a retail business works. Nuff said.

Greyst1
04-20-2011, 02:45 AM
[QUOTE=Greyst1;3995395]

I had a nice long response typed out but deleted it. Clearly you have no clue how a retail business works. Nuff said.

Clearly you don't, but i would love for you to share your wisdom why my dealer doesn't stock an oil drain assembly or the other 3 dealers? It's funny they stock the Kaw's, but not Kohler. Perhaps you can explain that?

BTW, I see a lot of Kohler power on Exmark's website.....

Please, i'm dying to get educated here?????

Greyst1
04-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Mohustler is a dealer on here, he had one.... Guess he is clueless too. I don't want to hear this chit about inventory turns and sales history too either.

I would love to hear you school everybody on retail tho.....

MOHUSTLER
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Hold on fellas. Lets stop this before it gets way outa hand. Some dealers stock parts that others dont. I stocked a oil drain the frist order I put in with hustler. BECAUSE I use to mow for 11 years and I MYSELF broke a drain plug and went through the exact same thing that Greyst1 is going through.

Its impossible to stock every part on a mower. And even if I DO stock it not saying that someone walked in 10 min before you and bought my one part I had in stock.

Our parts room is sitting around $200,000 and growing every day. And id say 30% of the people who come in I have it the other 70% I have to order it.

I also understand the rule of 4 that mowerknower is talking about. Its not set in stone, but a good guideline. Cheap stuff if we sell 2 a year it gets stocked. Expensive stuff I want to sell it at least 3-5 times a year to be stocked. And high ticket items, engines/hydro pumps ext... Never get stocked. Id be out of business if I tried to do so.

I hired a new parts guy to keep our inventories down becasue when I tried to do parts and sales on my own, I stocked WAY WAY to much parts. And I could barley keep my lights turned on. Now its smooth sailing and 95% of parts can be here next day.

ZMAX
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM
To me it is a big deal, this should be a mandatory stocking item regardless of the sales history.

People started mowing last week, not me but i might try to mow Thursday depending on how saturated the soil is.

Anyhow, i did order one Monday and i'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I just expect more that's all.

Maybe my next venture is to open a dealership in Canton. Full service too, plow, spreaders, mowers, skid steers, hand helds, dump inserts, etc.... One stop shopping. Closest one in an hour away....

I don't mow but I saw a few companies mowing last week before we got hit with rain again, but I don't see how you can start mowing at all this week. It's so wet out there I can't even take out the Zspray and I am leaving tracks with a push spreader.

BrunoT
04-20-2011, 08:56 PM
When I first became a delaer I stocked up on a bunch of random parts. I bought a drain plug and its still sitting on my shelf 6 years later.

Not takeing your dealers side because I DO have one in stock but its not a fast moving part.

I was gonna say, how often is someone ham-fisted enough to break one of those? At some point one has to make decisions on what to stock and what not to stock. The sheer area required to store and catalog all that can, I'm sure, get out of hand.

Also, you gotta have spare machines for just this sort of thing. Drop the thing off, use your backup, and there's no hassle. If you can't afford at least a used basic machine as a backup, then maybe self-employment 'ain't your thang'.

deere615
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Wait till they tell ya the parts on backorder then you never know when you will get it!