PDA

View Full Version : Battery Powered Push Mowers

SageDesignLM
04-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Guys,

I am considering offering some zero impact mowing service for some customers. This means buying a few battery powered push mowers. At this point there are no commerical grade options available so I am looking at them as replacement items as very few repairs would be worth doing because of the low cost of the mower initially. Anyway, I have researched mowers by Neutron, Black & Decker, Worx, and GreenWorks (these all have swapable 36volt batteries) but still can not determine which may be the best option.

So the question is; has anyone out there gone down this road and evaluated/acutally use this mowers and if so which manufacture would you recommend based on quality of the mower, durability, runtime, quality of cut, ease of use, etc. Any feedback you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yarden Of Eden
04-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Why not just buy a couple of the old school reel mowers and huff it out? That would be truely green, and you wouldn't be fixing replacing yoour mowers! I also hear they cut very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah because battery powered isn't really green because it still takes energy
to recharge the battery and that energy is created by burning fossil fuels so all
we're doing is shuffling things around some, so I second that reel mower suggestion.

Smallaxe
04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
It takes energy to manufacture and ship those reel mowers, so they aren't green either... I would suggest goats but they produce methane just like people do... Nothing is green... :)

I was looking at the robot mower that trains itself to a cord around the yard, and it had high rpm blades that I would like. 2 cycle gas had better rpm than 4 cycle engines, and lately with all the 'green' crap you can't even get them anymore...

I think it would take at least 3 batteries to do the average small lawn... But it would be fun, i'm so sick of being disappointed with mowers... Briggs engines are worse than ever... and Honda is now down to the American standard... So far the Toro seems ok...

mikbee
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I like the Worx

Aaronnc
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
At least with batteries you don't have the emissions that you do with internal combustion, but yeah to charge those batteries your definitely using some fossil fuels. Probably the greenest mower out there (next to a manual reel one, of course) is gonna be one of those Lehr propane mowers.

Patriot Services
07-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Time hasn't come yet. Maybe some day rapid charge batteries fed by solar arrays. Tech isn't quite there yet. Hustler continues to extend the runtime on the Xeon.
Posted via Mobile Device