View Full Version : BadBoy or snapper zero turn with ZT-2800s

04-19-2011, 11:05 AM

I'm searching for a 42 to 48" zero turn mower that will be for home use only. Right now I'm only mowing 1/2 acre with lots of obstacles, but next summer that will go up to 1 or 1 1/4 acres.

I was looking at the BadBoy MZ48 with a B&S eninge when a local dealer told me about the new Snapper 285Z series. It has a stamped deck, but the axles and deck are pretty solid and there are zerk fittings where needed.

On the BadBoy, you get a more commercial looking machine with a better deck.

The kicker is that Snapper put their money into offering the ZT-2800 hydros versus the EZT's on the BadBoy, and have double the warranty. Same engine. Same price: $3400. Snapper dealer is closer by 15 minutes.

What do you guys think? This is the snapper's link: http://www.snapper.com/zero-turn-mowers/285Z/
BadBoy: http://www.badboymowers.com/view/2011-mz

D&K Lawns
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I think you answered your own question. Better hydros, better warranty, same price. Sounds like Snapper is the one. I have had snapper products. Very decent stuff.

04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, if I just look at warranty and the transmission, the snapper wins. But I think the snapper probably has a weaker frame and deck.

I don't know what commonly breaks on these after 3 or 4 years of residential use. I can't imagine the BadBoy would require repairs in 18months, but yes it's possible, so the 2 year warranty there is nice, but, will the badboy be perfect in 4 years while the snapper will be worn out?

Neither is a commercial machine, but having changed the hydro fluid on my old Kubota, I like that you can change it on the zt-2800's and that they have filters that you can replace.

04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
"probably"has a weaker frame and deck??
How do you know the BB would be "perfect in 4 years"???

I just sold a 3yr old 150z and it wasn't babied. Frame on it was fine. Fact is nothing was wrong with it. I bought a Snapper PRO to replace to mow heavier stuff than my yard. Had a Briggs ELS. From the comparisons I''ve done so far Snapper probably has the best quality per value out there. And I have looked at bunch of em before i bought.
You would be happy with the snapper. I would pick it over the BB
You would "probably" have transmission troubles before you have problems with the frame on a residential yard.
My 3100 has filters it is a version of the 2800 so I would say yes they have filters

04-19-2011, 12:45 PM
John Deere is rated higher on the scale (my scale anyway)than either the BB or Snapper and has a stamped deck.

04-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I also like Deere products. But for value and quality per dollar Snapper has Deere beat. You are paying for the Deere name.

04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
BB are build like tanks on the outside, but as far as their homeowner models, the hydros and real components that make the mower "tick" just are not that good. I have a snapper pro and love it, but it is a commercial mower

04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
"probably"has a weaker frame and deck??
How do you know the BB would be "perfect in 4 years"???

I didn't say either of those would be the case. I was asking, and I apologize if you thought I was insulting the snapper brand. That was not my intent, I just wanted to make sure the stamped deck and frame were not likely to be issues for me.

Thank you all for the input, I'll probably go with the Snapper.