PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Install

CFD192
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Here is what I have....I have a lady who wants her yard completly redone and uodated. I have a few ideas of what to do. I was wondering if someone had a few common questions to ask the home owner. Do you have certain questions to ask them or not. We asked her if she had any ideas of what she wanted done and she said, " she was kind of leaving that up to us." So with that I was wondering if you hardcore landscapers out there have any common questions you ask on every landscape install? I have done a few smaller jobs and most of the time the customer already knew what they wanted. I just would like to have a few questions to take with me when we meet to go over yard to ask her. So that way, I don't forget something I should have asked about. This job is a big job and I don't want to sound like a fool. Thanks!

Dr.NewEarth
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Do they have a budget in mind?

What will they be using the landscaped area for?

Color scheme or for us Canadians, Colour Scheme?

When do they want it done? ie: is there a special occassion like a wedding coming up?

Florida Gardener
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
in florida, we have so many plants to choose from that one of my questions is do you want high or low maintenance? High maintenance means frequency of pruning, water, and nutritional requirements.

Budget is another good one in my opinion. Some will say don't ask this question as they feel the customer may think you will limit the design and not give your best product, but why create a 100k design when they only want to spend 20k??

Use of landscape.....Do you want privacy, more color, an outdoor room,etc.

Who will be maintaining it? If I am going to maintain the new landscape, I will give them stuff that can be more detailed to maintain....If they are going to do it or some lawn boy, I will probably use plant material that a dummy couldn't mess up.....

HTH

Florida Gardener
04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
I would also stress that you need to know your plant material. If they dont like a certain plant or tree, you have to have option b,c,d,e...etc. You will need to know how this plant looks and performs as it matures. A big problem here is many guys say, "We do landscape design," but they throw a bunch of plants together and the result is a mess when everything starts to grow. Guys will put in shrubs that can get to 7-8 ft. and maintain them at 2 ft. They will plant something that needs more shade in full sun or vice versa. There is a lot that goes into designing a new landscape other than just "putting plants in the ground." A great design is one that still looks great once everything has matured. That also has to do with who is maintaining everything.

White Gardens
04-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Ditto on all above posts.

The only thing I would add is I always ask what their long-term goals are for their property.

I'm surprised a lot of the time and either I get we only plan on staying her for 4 more years, or they are long term home owners.

head_start
04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I ask if they have any specific plant allergies, but im just quarky like that. I don't want to be the landscaper that puts in plants which will make someone sick everytime they touch it.
Other than that i agree with above, budget, time frame, etc.