PDA

View Full Version : how to treat moss?

l&slawncare1990
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I have a lawn that is really getting a lot of moss the entire rear is moss. I am planning to remove the moss, till the soil and bring in about 2 inches of topsoil. Seed and starter fertilize. Does this sound right. In the front, half is getting mossy. I plan to thatch, aerate seed and starter fertilize and 1 inch of top soil. Any suggestions would be great to treat moss and also if there is anything to keep it away. Thank you

Exact Rototilling
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Taller grass can crowed out moss much better than thin.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg100.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/877

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lawn003/lawn003.htm

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/pubs/ay-14.pdf

l&slawncare1990
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I will be tilling and applying lime all over will that help in general. I will also bring in top soil and spread grass seed like crazy to grow a thick tall grass. Drainage in the back is not great is pools due to the ground for some reason. But I will till and bring in new soil there as well. I just didnt know if there was a treatment I could do to keep it from growing.

Dr.NewEarth
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
You should try to fix the problem that is causing the moss. It will come back.

If you can't do a proper drainage system, look into a "French drain." Perhaps that will take away some of the standing water.

Correct you pH with lime and use feric sulphate, iron based moss killer. It will turn it
black like oil. Rake it out. Use a quality lawn seed that grows in wet and shady environments.

Personally, I wouldn't till the soil. You need to fix the reasons the moss is growing.

Alternatively, Japanese Moss gardens are really popular right now!

l&slawncare1990
04-19-2011, 08:53 PM
ok thaks for the info. the area is under a lot of trees in the back. Very wet. I cant do much with drainage but. I will put lie down. and I will go to my feed store and get proper seed and treatments for the moss. So i should spread feric sulphate first. how long does that take to work and rake it out

mike174
04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
There was an earlier post about moss...moss is environmental. All good suggestions above, but even if you remove moss and reseed, you'll get moss again. Cure shade by tree removal and any other drainage issues as posted above. You'll have moss again soon by just reseeding and not curing the environmental reason (water & shade).

l&slawncare1990
04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
as far as drainage goes in the front it gets mossy here and there but what am I supposed to cure drainage issues with.

Smallaxe
04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Depending on what is happening with water, you can either raise the soil level with a sandy mix or dig a pool off to the side somewhere... You donot want topsoil with any clay whatsoever.

You may have to consider growing something that is fitted to that environment, if you are not going to modify it...
You could raise something like... moss.

Dr.NewEarth
04-20-2011, 07:57 PM
You could put down your lime and ferric sulphate at the same time, but seperately.
The moss will be dark in a few hours.

If you were to be fertilizing your lawn to make it greener, the lime depletes the nitrogen content in that type of fertilizer. In a case such as this, wait a week to ten days between liming and fertilizing.

You're on the right track.

Search for "French Drains" and see if that helps your front yard pooling.

We could compare some aspects of landscaping to being a Doctor. They have to experiment with pill combinations and therapies some-times to see what works best for each patient

l&slawncare1990
04-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I went to my feed store today. I bought lime, a peletized treatment for moss and i bought Kentucky blue grass seed. The guy told me put the lime and moss treatment down as well as the seed and starter fert at the same time. In front I will aerate put like, moss treatment seed and starter fert and add a top coat of top soil/ compost. for the rear scrape moss, till and re do everything. Is this right. I just don't wanna do this wrong.

Leo the Landscaper
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Use fescue not blue grass.

BlazerRidge
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Use fescue not blue grass.

I agree. KBG doesn't like shade

l&slawncare1990
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
will the KBG grow at all with proper treatment. The guy said it will grow well in any situation and most landscapers prefer KBG. I got starter fert, lime everythign and I will brign in new top soil/ compost

grassman88
04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
fescue is what you want, much better for shade

l&slawncare1990
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I looked today and it has tall fescue in it. I Tilled another property of mine today raked out rocks etc and spread a lot of starter fert, lime and then the KBG/ Fescue and put some straw on top..

grassman88
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
when i do grass seed i go back about 2 weeks later and spread more starter fertilizer idk if thats what everyone else dose but works awsome for me so far

l&slawncare1990
04-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Ok thanks I will consider that. Materials are just so damn expensive like everything else these days but for good results the proper treatment is necessary. I hope the seed I used will be alright

grassman88
04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
if its the KBG fescue blend it should work fine, i love KBG but for shady areas its just a lot harder to get a full thick lawn im hoping to redo my personal lawn this year with KBG only but its mostly full sun i like the darker green of the KBG

l&slawncare1990
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Yea thats why I bought it and it is very durable I was told. But it has the fescue mix and I will put loads of starter fert down as well. I hope for the best hah

Smallaxe
04-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Yea thats why I bought it and it is very durable I was told. But it has the fescue mix and I will put loads of starter fert down as well. I hope for the best hah

That is your way of taking care of moss, and correcting the problem area?? Send us before and after pictures, because by the end of summer it will be the same, only moss takes time to grow back...

Double the fertilizer in the shade... must be a pro!!!

l&slawncare1990
04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Well what do you suggest. was going to spread the mos treatment, loads of lime, where heavily mossy I will scrape up moss, till soil bring in 2 inches of topsoil and re seed and starter fert

lilmarvin4064
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
If you can't increase sunlight to the area I would plant Creeping Red Fescue maybe with some Chewings Fescue.

Better than just topsoil, you should incorporate some Turface Profile Field & Fairway ideally, or Turface MVP into the soil.

After removing the existing moss and planting your seed follow up applications of Terracyte (sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) will prevent moss from coming back. or light doses of ammonium sulfate.

l&slawncare1990
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks I will keep this in mind. I will buy the materials I will sill bring in topsoil/compost and mix these in thanks again