PDA

View Full Version : Winter Flowers

Hodge
10-01-2002, 11:45 PM
I was watching a Home Improvement channel the other day and they were advertising something called freeze pansies. They are able to live during the winter...freeze hard and still recover after the ice melts...

Has anybody hear of these?? and when can I get some??
:confused:

Hodge
10-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the help but I found it they are called Icicle pansies

Evan528
10-02-2002, 01:24 AM
They are pretty popular around here. Flower in the fall when you put them in.....in the winter they go somewhat dormant but then pop back up in full force come February/March. Not a god plant if you are trying to make money thoguh as it cuts out your early spring planting. I prefer to plant ornamental Kale In October.....Its looks beautiful through January sometimes and then I install my pansies first thing in the spring.

GarPA
10-02-2002, 06:06 AM
just bought 200 icicle pansies yesterday. THey are 'guaranteed' to sprout as you mentioned in late winter. We'll see. MOst of my commercial clients dont do any flower planting in early spring until we can do the summer flowers like wave petunias (if you have never used these, you are issing out on the BEST looking, drought tolerant plant ever developed)...so anyway I'm not losing anything in spring by having these sprout back. THe thing I dont like about pansies is that they do not spread much after planting...it takes a whole lot more plants to make mass platings than if you were planting marigolds petunias etc...oh and the icicles cost double what the typcial pansy costs. I too like the ornamental kale/cabbage...holds up very well and looks great. Lowes is carrying the icicles if you have a store near you

Hodge
10-02-2002, 10:58 AM
The closest dealer to me is 456 miles away.. I am in N. TX. How much did they cost per plant and do you receive a discount for volume purchase?

TurfGuyTX
10-02-2002, 02:41 PM
In North Texas you wouldn't need those specific types of pansies. The pansies offered at your local nursery will do fine if taken care of properly. Any hard freezes to come here are usually warned before happening. If the pansies aren't dryed out, a freeze isn't likely to do much to them. If an extended hard freeze is expected, have them covered. I've planted pansies for years and the only time I've had problems, was when they were stressed before a freeze. Good luck.

dan deutekom
10-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Icicle pansies are the best thing sinced sliced bread. Plant in fall have a bit of a show and then in spring you have a fantastic show before anyone can even get the regular pansies in the ground. I won't even bother with regular pansies anymore. Although they cost more I can double how far they cover by breaking each cell into two individual plants.

trailboss
10-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Like Turfguy I am also in North Texas. We plant Pansies every fall and as long as they are watered regularly they will be fine.

Hodge
10-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Sold :dizzy:

TurfGuyTX
10-04-2002, 10:41 PM
What do you guys get per flat? I charge anywhere from 20-30 dollars per flat.

Hodge
10-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Well I try to keep my prices in line with what the customer might be able to purchase them locally ie: Lowes ~ plus a profit for the professional installation ~ a flat will run about $8.00 - $12.00. 20 - 30 is high! Just my thoughts:D

trailboss
10-04-2002, 11:25 PM
I've Been charging $25, but I think that I may go up to $30 this year.:D

Lanelle
10-04-2002, 11:39 PM
If the flat that you are referring to is made up of 15 (4") pots of pansies---I'd love to know where that is sold for less than $12.00
A good price here is $0.75 each, plus delivery. Mark it up to cover your investment and add the labor.

TurfGuyTX
10-04-2002, 11:52 PM
$10-12 per flt. of 20 around here from several different nurseries. Our installed price of $20-$30 can be flexible in needed. We've got a job of 110 flats to do sometime next week or so. Once the weather cools down.

LonghornShortgrass
10-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Glad to see all this info here, as I have'nt done much flowering. BTW, do you just pull begonias & put down pansies in existing hole, or do you add fert.? Also, is there an easy way to determine how much to plant per s.f.?
Thanks- Bill

TurfGuyTX
10-14-2002, 12:30 AM
We don't just put them in the same hole. I like to fertilize the pansies when planted and regularly. The formula for square ft is off my mind right now. I have a very busy day tomorrow and I'll try to get back to you about it. You could call the Flower Ranch in Keller(also known as Pipes Plant Farm) and they could tell you. They have it on a little catalogue they give out.

Mark50
10-14-2002, 02:45 PM
:blob2:
I hate to put a damper on the party but they are just a variety called Sky and are no better than any other new hybred. It is just marketing. In all of the studies done at North Carolina State on winter hardiness they are all about the same. The price for 1801 pansy in the Charlotte area is any where from $7.00 up, depending on quantity. Maybe even less. The planting should be about 2 to 3 plants per square foot. There is a lot more marketing going on in the market place these days making claims about plant varieties that are either not true or at best a over sold. The wave petunias are good but there are many more spreading petunias that have come on the market in the last several years that are as good or better.
;)