PDA

View Full Version : Hedges

crocs27
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Man im not even sure where to start here. I do trim back some bushes but havent had anything as close to this big of a job. I want to give a good price becase they want me to mow as well. There are about 25 to 30 bushes, i have to cut back a lot of things pretty high up. I was thinking in the $200 range. any pointers?

crocs27
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
ohh and the back yard looks like the second pic. About 30 feet more of it.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I know you really want this account and sometimes in situations like this, I will take a little hit to ensure that I get the customer. Be sure to let them know you will go ahead and knock them back again (fall and spring) before it ever gets this bad and be sure to explain that the price will be less, the less drastic the trimmings are. I would get your base number (maybe 3 hours or so) it's hard to really determine from the pics, I'm just going off what I see. I'm guessing your solo, but anyway I would go ahead and get a price you are comfortable with, then cut it back just a little to ensure they are happy. You take a little hit but then you get the yard and you can charge less the next time it won't be as bad...Just explain the situation thoroughly before hand.."it's gone off so long since anyones trimmed it so it's just going to be a good bit of extra work" blah blah and present them with your best number. If they accept great, they are potentially going to be a great customer, but if they cuss your price and all that I would just walk, because that's a red flag right off the bat that they will NOT be worth it in the long run.

I would also hire a buddy or someone to come behind you and pick up all the debris. Trimming is the fun part. Picking/bagging it all up is what sucks. $10/hr and buy em some lunch and you get it done quick and can start concentrating on the cuts!

Just my .02 man. I know how it gets difficult sometimes giving estimates. You'll get a feel for it and learn to each seperate customer and hit that magic number where you're happy, their happy and you get to maintain the account for many many years. Hope this helped at all.

-Griffin

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Oh and be sure to explain that because there are alot of high up bushes is what's driving the price up. If they were all right there on the ground like pic one it would be different. It's all just based on how labor intensive things are. When I'm just weedeating blowing it's like $25/hr, mulching is atleast $45/hr depending on the mulch and including the price of mulch, cleanups are @ $35/hr....You see where I'm going wit this. I think my hedge trimming is right about $30-35/hr depending if they are like pic 1 or pic 2.

Alan0354
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Oh and be sure to explain that because there are alot of high up bushes is what's driving the price up. If they were all right there on the ground like pic one it would be different. It's all just based on how labor intensive things are. When I'm just weedeating blowing it's like $25/hr, mulching is atleast $45/hr depending on the mulch and including the price of mulch, cleanups are @ $35/hr....You see where I'm going wit this. I think my hedge trimming is right about $30-35/hr depending if they are like pic 1 or pic 2.

Time for him to get a Big Jack like yours!!!:laugh::laugh:

That's quite a bit of work there!!!

crocs27
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for your help southern pride however I don't believe i'm going to get this account. I bid a bit under what i originally was going to do but he seemed to be taken back a bit with my price. I got the we will get back to you quote that we all know what it means. Win some and lose some. I offered the least I was willing to do it for but he'll probably look for a neighbor to do it when he gets home from school. Thanks again

corey4671
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks for your help southern pride however I don't believe i'm going to get this account. I bid a bit under what i originally was going to do but he seemed to be taken back a bit with my price. I got the we will get back to you quote that we all know what it means. Win some and lose some. I offered the least I was willing to do it for but he'll probably look for a neighbor to do it when he gets home from school. Thanks again

you will be thankful for that later on. Had you gotten this job you would have been kicking yourself. Do NOT allow a customer to strongarm you into bidding a job lower than what you priced it at.

weeze
04-20-2011, 12:52 AM
don't worry about it...i always bid these trim/cleanup/complete overhaul jobs really high...they are really hard work and time consuming so i'm gonna get paid for it really well or i'm not gonna do it...simple as that...people want you to spend 8hrs at their house all day doing a cleanup and pay you $100 for it...no thanks..you can cut 2 yards in 2 hours and make that much..i would've bid it in the $150-$200 range myself...someone called me for an estimate for a similar type job and i said $150...they didn't accept and the bushes still haven't been trimmed and it's been months.

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Yep. When you give a customer your best price and the snicker at it, it's almost a relief; because even if you got their yard for the season, it would have been a MAJOR PITA.

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Time for him to get a Big Jack like yours!!!:laugh::laugh:

That's quite a bit of work there!!!

Alan, I actually broke the heck out of that Big Jack. The engine and main unit is fine, but the actual hedge trimmer attachment I broke. It was going and I tried to pull it off the trimmer rack, well the blades caught the metal hook on the trimmer rack and broke the gear in there so I'm hoping I can just buy another actual trimmer attachment from them...It wasn't the tools fault, completely my doing. I was mad after talking with this ridiculous customer that couldnt understand why I couldnt be at his house doing this huge job the day he calls me and expects me to be there. So I jumped out the truck and wasn't thinking...:cry: Sucks but hopefully I don't have to buy a whole nother one.

Alan0354
04-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Alan, I actually broke the heck out of that Big Jack. The engine and main unit is fine, but the actual hedge trimmer attachment I broke. It was going and I tried to pull it off the trimmer rack, well the blades caught the metal hook on the trimmer rack and broke the gear in there so I'm hoping I can just buy another actual trimmer attachment from them...It wasn't the tools fault, completely my doing. I was mad after talking with this ridiculous customer that couldnt understand why I couldnt be at his house doing this huge job the day he calls me and expects me to be there. So I jumped out the truck and wasn't thinking...:cry: Sucks but hopefully I don't have to buy a whole nother one.

That sucks!!!