PDA

View Full Version : Sod Questions

thackerlawncare
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a customer that wants me to re-sod their front yard. Do you think it would be better to kill the grass then til it up before sodding? Or do you think simply tilling the existing turf and putting the sod on top would work? Thanks

ajslands
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
What's the soil like? How large is if?
Do you have any pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device

FLAhaulboy
04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Till it, rake out most of the debris. I've never sprayed to kill the weeds before but just till it up instead.

thackerlawncare
04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks haulboy

RigglePLC
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Tilling makes a mess--you end up with thousands of chunks of sod. Then you have to lift those out by hand, load onto your truck and haul away.
Sod cutter is the way to go.

bamaturf
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
spray ru , wait a week or so until good & dead. by this time the neighbors
are asking ?'s then harley rake then lay sod

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
if the area is flat rent the sod cutter, you are still gonna have a fair amount of debris to remove, just did 900 square feet removing existing lawn, took 6 hours total, lawn was not flat, and ground is soaking wet so sod cutter had a rough time, and bent my 6x13 trailer tongue from the weight of debris! Not happy about that one.

Smallaxe
04-27-2011, 03:13 AM
I know it is always frowned upon and laughed at by other lcos, but just cutting it short and laying th sod right on top does seem to work without problems. I suppose it would help to layer down some compost over the old stuff.
I would still kill the old stuff to ensure that green decay doesn't create disease for the new roots...