PDA

View Full Version : Another "small mulch job" thread

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
3.5 yards me and 2 buddys knocked out in less than 2 hours last week. I had to come through and de-weed all of these beds had weeds waist high. It was ridiculous, but I'm happy with the final product. Now I have the guy on Bi-weekly weed control too.

Obviously the first pics are the beds prepped and sprayed with roundup. You can see all of the dead stuff I sprayed. Then there's the afters with all the mulch thrown down.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011009.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011010.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011011.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011012.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011013.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011014.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011015.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011016.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011017.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011018.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011020.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011021.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011022.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011023.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011024.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011025.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Rob%20Jones%20Mulch%20Job/4-13-2011026.jpg

Thanks for looking :usflag:

Schrock Lawns
04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
looks good how much did you pay for your trailer

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
It was $940 I believe. A guy about 1.5hr from me sells them in Brownsville I think it was? Anyway, he drove it into Memphis and met me, it was a sweet deal. Everything brand new, except used tires but in good condition. If you can get one with the dove tail and short gate, I'd highly recommend it. Gate is very light and dove tail leaves no room for mower scraping. It's a single 3500lb axle, and so far it has been perfect. I do want to get a full 6x16 as I get more equipment and work though.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I also plan on pulling all of the dead bushes with weeds still growing throughout them in the last pic. The customer didn't even really seem to care. I think he just wanted it all killed and mulch to shut his wife up! lol

Schrock Lawns
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I also plan on pulling all of the dead bushes with weeds still growing throughout them in the last pic. The customer didn't even really seem to care. I think he just wanted it all killed and mulch to shut his wife up! lol

hahahahahaha

rlmlandscape
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Looks alright. Mulch is kinda lumpy looking and looks piled up around the base of some of the plants, did you edge the beds at all?

Pressedun
04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Customer didn't want to pay for edging?

KPZ Enterprises
04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
ur truck is squating that much from 3.5yds??? time to get a 2500 id say. :weightlifter:

Lefet
04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Have to agree, first thing I noticed was the lack of edging. Not so much the "piled up mulch", but 3 people and only 3.5 yards of mulch, those beds should look a lot sharper.

bobcat48
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Looks good,nice job!

lukemelo216
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Agreed with the few previous comments. Also about 2 hours is quite a long time for that job. Even pulling out the larger weeds you should have been in and out in an hour. Me and my employee did 10 yards of western red cedar today in the rain, with weeding the larger weeds and spraying the smaller ones, along with snap shot. No edging (plastic edging installed). The mulch was delivered at 730 this morning, we pulled in at 945, unloaded and working by 950, did the weeding/spraying/pre-em, spread the 10 yards, and cleaned up and loaded up and on the road by 1225. Cleanup also took about 20 minutes becasue it was wet.

nepatsfan
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Have to agree, first thing I noticed was the lack of edging. Not so much the "piled up mulch", but 3 people and only 3.5 yards of mulch, those beds should look a lot sharper.

Looks like a homeowner job....a homeowner that was in a rush. If my guys did a job like that...I would fire them...honestly.

Thomas Grundy
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Your work is fine man dont listen to all the joshin. You prolly mow more grass than you do landscape like me. Pay attention to more detail next time and im sure that will close a few mouths. Do another job and prove to it. lol and dont state time frames theres always the hot shot that can throw 10 yards with his brother in an hour and he will always tell you so.

Premier landscaping south
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
If I am seeing correctly, that is dyed black mulch? If so be careful watering it down just after application. Try to let dye to dry at least 24 hours after installing to let it "set in". Applying water to freshly laid dyed mulch can flush some color out of the wood. just an FYI.

Looks good! keep up the good work.

lukemelo216
04-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm not considering myself a hot shot and I don't use my brother to do work. We are are a full service landscape contracting firm running 2 crews. I should have explained more. About 6 of those 10 yards went into smaller beds and the last 4 yards went in a wide open big bed. However; we were under a time frame because of weather so we were moving quick. When you have a lot of mulch work and cleanups on the books, your 3 days behind schedule and the forcasted weather is not helping you out, you get as much work done in as little time as possible which is what we did today. Before rain cancelled us we did a cleanup at another property getting everyting else prepped for mulch there, and then did the 10 yards of mulch by 1230.

The work isn't terrible, what I am saying and I think others will agree that for having 5.5 to 6 hours on a 3.5 yrd mulch job the screws could have been tightened up a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
04-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I agree on the humpy, lumpy, bumpy comments and lack of edging. My jobs may look bumpy like that when I'm putting the mulch down but not when I'm done (I usually just put it all down first and smooth later).

I run the back side of a metal spring rake over mine to level them and then give it a blow with one or both of the tubes off of my backpack blower to knock any of the small bumps off and to blow the mulch off the plants and any hard surfaces.

And if I hauled mulch on an open trailer like that around here I'd be pulled over in about 30 seconds. Did you have a tarp on that?

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Your work is fine man dont listen to all the joshin. You prolly mow more grass than you do landscape like me. Pay attention to more detail next time and im sure that will close a few mouths. Do another job and prove to it. lol and dont state time frames theres always the hot shot that can throw 10 yards with his brother in an hour and he will always tell you so.

Don't worry man I'm already a step ahead of you on that. I thought the same thing when I read that post. Me and one other guy have thrown 16 yards in one day so I know exactly what 10 yards takes. There's also the guy that's gonna diss on the truck immediately since it's heavily customized.

To answer some questions no the customer didn't care for edging. I don't do anything extra for free either. I do go along and edge the beds with the trimmer when I come cut. I didn't care about it taking longer I had my friends working with me so we took our time. I don't treat them like some slave Mexicans.

As for my truck, I like the "cali" stance where it sits a little higher up front than in the back. Nothing worse than a 4x4 that sits lower in the front than in the back. If you think I need a 2500 for some mulch, you're nuts :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments guys, and yes I mainly do cuts, leaf removal, and hedge trims. I enjoy doing mulch it's good money but most of my customers don't care to have it done??

-Griffin

Lefet
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM

However well intentioned your comment is, I think you're missing the point here. Oftentimes we post pictures, brainstorm ideas and what not TO FINE TUNE WHAT WE DO. So to say "don't listen to all the joshin" is actually pretty bad advice. We try to do the very best we can do because we want others to see it and WANT us to do work for them, or a repeat call from the customer. Nobody's trying to rag on him, just giving what is called "constructive criticism".

I'm not considering myself a hot shot and I don't use my brother to do work. We are are a full service landscape contracting firm running 2 crews. I should have explained more. About 6 of those 10 yards went into smaller beds and the last 4 yards went in a wide open big bed. However; we were under a time frame because of weather so we were moving quick. When you have a lot of mulch work and cleanups on the books, your 3 days behind schedule and the forcasted weather is not helping you out, you get as much work done in as little time as possible which is what we did today. Before rain cancelled us we did a cleanup at another property getting everyting else prepped for mulch there, and then did the 10 yards of mulch by 1230.

The work isn't terrible, what I am saying and I think others will agree that for having 5.5 to 6 hours on a 3.5 yrd mulch job the screws could have been tightened up a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bingo.

MMADDUX
04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Gosh guys... you all are mean. jk but really you all had to learn at one point also and the first jobs you did were probably of the same quality. I understand you all are trying to help but give him a break guys. We are all learning.
Let help each other.
Peace

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
I agree on the humpy, lumpy, bumpy comments and lack of edging. My jobs may look bumpy like that when I'm putting the mulch down but not when I'm done (I usually just put it all down first and smooth later).

I run the back side of a metal spring rake over mine to level them and then give it a blow with one or both of the tubes off of my backpack blower to knock any of the small bumps off and to blow the mulch off the plants and any hard surfaces.

And if I hauled mulch on an open trailer like that around here I'd be pulled over in about 30 seconds. Did you have a tarp on that?

Yeah we dump all the main piles and then start spreading. I like to leave at least .5 yard on the trailer for any empty spots. We also use rakes to evenly spread everything and there are a few lumps around some plants but a lot of the areas are very tight.

Hell no I didn't have a tarp over the mulch. Here in Memphis the police officers have waayyy more serious things going on. It's not even an issue here. That must suck to live somewhere where the cops are jerk offs. I bet they would write you a ticket for not having the gas cans "strapped down" in the bed either :laugh: Sucks man, but yeah I don't know what to tell you. Not an issue here at all.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Gosh guys... you all are mean. jk but really you all had to learn at one point also and the first jobs you did were probably of the same quality. I understand you all are trying to help but give him a break guys. We are all learning.
Let help each other.
Peace

Thanks man but I've been doing this since I was 12 lol I'm no noob. I think it looks great and so does the customer :) You just gotta know what you're really signing up for with these internet forums.

MMADDUX
04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks man but I've been doing this since I was 12 lol I'm no noob. I think it looks great and so does the customer :) You just gotta know what you're really signing up for with these internet forums.

Haha yah i figured. just seems as if everyones been on your case lately. Yah these internet forms are crazy sometimes.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I think others will agree that for having 5.5 to 6 hours on a 3.5 yrd mulch job the screws could have been tightened up a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not sure why you're thinking that it took us 5.5-6hrs to throw 3.5 yards of mulch??? I left my driveway in the first pic at 945 and was leaving the customers house @ about 11:50....

Turf Commando
04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Edging the beds would give it a drastic change...
Also, I thought my 92 F150 squatted but NOT ANYMORE...!!!

MMADDUX
04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure why you're thinking that it took us 5.5-6hrs to throw 3.5 yards of mulch??? I left my driveway in the first pic at 945 and was leaving the customers house @ about 11:50....

I guess they are talking about total man hours?

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Haha yah i figured. just seems as if everyones been on your case lately. Yah these internet forms are crazy sometimes.

Yes I'm sure a lot of people have noticed people have gotten on my case. Something about being behind a computer and seeing a guy post some pics of his truck that's all decked out is easy for them to gossip about it like 7th grade girls. Again, if I just had a mundane setup, noone would say anything. They could teach this stuff in psychology class.

rcslawncare
04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
2 hour job. 3 people. 6 man hours to do the job, I try to use the least amount of people on mulch, just doesn't seem to keep more than 2 people busy. Id try to get them do the edge, but doesn't look bad at all! Truck looks good too, nothing wrong with liking your truck!

MMADDUX
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Yes I'm sure a lot of people have noticed people have gotten on my case. Something about being behind a computer and seeing a guy post some pics of his truck that's all decked out is easy for them to gossip about it like 7th grade girls. Again, if I just had a mundane setup, noone would say anything. They could teach this stuff in psychology class.

Yep i saw it. I will probably get fussed at but i like your truck and think its cool. I have a dodge 3500 and its almost to big but i would love to jack it up some. maybe not quite so much because it is a big truck already but you get the point. I just dont have the money and dont want to put the money into it right know.
BTW that aint my truck in the picture above. I want one like it though

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I guess they are talking about total man hours?

I guess? My average and other company's averages have always been 1 yard of mulch per man hour BUT that is depends heavily on the type of job. There were not alot of places to just dump a ton of mulch on this job. Like I said a lot of it was very heavy areas that had to be thrown by hand, etc. Also, these were my friends so I wasn't racing them at all I wanted it to be worth their time that's the only job they helped me with that day. I let them take their time on blowing and watering everything down also. After that I went and cut 6 or 7 houses by myself.

After paying the guys and the mulch yard I made $220 in 2 hours.

No complaints here.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
2 hour job. 3 people. 6 man hours to do the job, I try to use the least amount of people on mulch, just doesn't seem to keep more than 2 people busy. Id try to get them do the edge, but doesn't look bad at all! Truck looks good too, nothing wrong with liking your truck!

I don't really see a problem. If I pulled up to that job by myself I know it would of at least taken me 5 or 6 hours to complete the way we did. I agree about 3 guys is perfect for mulch. 2 guys shoveling while one guy spreads it around and makes it easier to get with the pitch forks and then you rotate in and out so not 1 guys is doing all the grunt work.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Also guys, you don't seem to be reading this but I do edge the beds when I come to cut. Their first cut is actually tomorrow so that's when they'll be edged. Not alot I can do though for some of those areas where there is dirt right next to the bed though.

MMADDUX
04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I guess? My average and other company's averages have always been 1 yard of mulch per man hour BUT that is depends heavily on the type of job. There were not alot of places to just dump a ton of mulch on this job. Like I said a lot of it was very heavy areas that had to be thrown by hand, etc. Also, these were my friends so I wasn't racing them at all I wanted it to be worth their time that's the only job they helped me with that day. I let them take their time on blowing and watering everything down also. After that I went and cut 6 or 7 houses by myself.

After paying the guys and the mulch yard I made $220 in 2 hours.

No complaints here.

Sounds good. I put down 17 cubic yards today in 18 man hours and thats edging (rental bed edger) ( i hate all the roots :(... )and some small weeds but was pretty open and about 70 trees to go around. We were booking it though because it was spread out over 13 acres and the mulch was all in one pile. Still got another 10 cubic yards or so to do there.

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Dang man that's awesome. That's the caliber job where I would hire out all of the labor and watch :)

Thomas Grundy
04-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I understand everything you stated many of us have the situations you have stated. Im not going to get into the crews and overhead at a job most of us have. Yes I know most is all advice some just isnt very professional. I didnt mean to throw you under with the brother statement you werent at target I just read each comment quickly to see what everybody stated and the time frame was one of them. As for everybody and every thread advice could be approached as hey man do this or that next time rather than thats lumpy homeowner in a rush thats just crap to me. Yes I know you didnt say half of it I was just letting him know that its fine. If he pleased the customer and left with a paycheck for profit move and learn and slow peoples criticism the next go around.

Thomas Grundy
04-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Sorry pride to the little argumentative statements lol. keep up with the good work buddy !

Southern Pride
04-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh hey bud it's no problem. I love the constructive criticism. I know that job is faaarrr from perfect, but the customer just did not care so it was just one of those throw and go jobs. I have learned so much from this site, but sometimes you just get the guys that just want to say some crap ya know. They're easy to spot out. You sir said nothing close to anything ignorant.

-Griffin

weeze
04-20-2011, 12:07 AM
just take a look at the people that make critical comments of other people's work. they don't post any pics of their work do they. funny how that works out lol.

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 12:24 AM
just take a look at the people that make critical comments of other people's work. they don't post any pics of their work do they. funny how that works out lol.

So funny you say that. The guys who just hardcore hate on my work or truck, I always look them up to see their golden mulch or truck and of course NO RECORD of pictures. EVER. Haha. Hit the nail on the head on that one Jason.

-Griffin

nobagger
04-20-2011, 12:46 AM
I HATE IT when customer's don't want any edging done. We all agree beds look like night and day edged. We do a handful of big box stores and one chain didn't want any edging, they have never had it done as far as I can tell. So we did what they asked, we simply plopped mulch down and evened it out to the existing shape. It looks good from the road driving 40mph,lol But what can you do say no to the job because of that. I'm just glad its done.....one of the stores were 6 yards of dyed red and the other was 24 yards of regular brown. Me (at 41) and one other employee laid the 24 yards down in 10 hours. I didn't think it was going to end,lol.

nobagger
04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Also in your defense, thats a real PITA mulching in and around plants so close together. That in itself sucks up a ton of time.

PerfectEarth
04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
yikes. Sorry to be critical. I know you've said the customer gave you some "restrictions" but I wouldn't want to post post pics of a hasty job.

It's not worth doing if it's not done right- would never take a job like that.

Darryl G
04-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Look at PerfectEarth's mulching...that's what it's supposed to look like!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316386

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I guess man it was $220 profit in my pocket in 2 hours and I'll take that every time, any time. I personally don't think it looks bad at all other than the edging. That will be done tomorrow but like I said you can only do it so good when there are spots that there is dirt instead of grass around the bed.

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Look at PerfectEarth's mulching...that's what it's supposed to look like!!!!!!!!!!

LOL calm down darryl. In my defense I am servicing mostly middle class homes where I can only do so much with what I have. They can't afford for me to completely re-landscape their yard. On my pics you notice in a lot of spots there are dirt spots around the edges of the bed so I'm not going to lay sod for free just to compete with PerfectEarth. Only so much I can do, but I am going to edge the beds out tomorrow.

PerfectEarth, all of your casas look to be tip top level customers and landscapes. That's awesome man. I wish I could build that quality of a customer base. Looks like I need to start advertising in more upscale neighborhoods. Your work is awesome bro.

Darryl G
04-20-2011, 01:12 AM
I'm calm...it really wouldn't have taken much to smooth it out. Yes, it looks better than it did but with a little more attention to detail it would have looked even better. My work falls somewhere inbetween, lol. I'm in the middle of a mulch job now..i'll take some pics tomorrow if it's not too rainy.

zak406
04-20-2011, 01:14 AM
How is that toro treating you? you like htem hydros?

ashgrove landscaping
04-20-2011, 01:15 AM
sloppy edges man. terrible pics. Why would even post that?

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 01:41 AM
How is that toro treating you? you like htem hydros?

I love it man. It's now my primary obviously. It's weird. Now my 36 feels tiny. The hydros make all the difference in the world. Not only giving it smoother controls, but being able to use reverse on my sulky is HUGE.

I'm calm...it really wouldn't have taken much to smooth it out. Yes, it looks better than it did but with a little more attention to detail it would have looked even better. My work falls somewhere inbetween, lol. I'm in the middle of a mulch job now..i'll take some pics tomorrow if it's not too rainy.

I know I didn't mean to make it sound like you were ranting or anything and I understand it's a little clumpy in some spots. I'm going to have to take a better look at it tomorrow and re smooth I guess cause I thought it looked alright. Be sure to PM me the link to your mulch thread!

sloppy edges man. terrible pics. Why would even post that?

lol Negative Nancy over here. It doesn't look near as bad as you're trying to make it sound. Nice try though. Go yield your positive insight in someone elses thread.

nepatsfan
04-20-2011, 07:00 AM

That is what is sad.:cry:

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Dang man that's awesome. That's the caliber job where I would hire out all of the labor and watch :)

Haha Yah I wish. I am 18 and have never hired anyone but my bothers. I plan to have my brother run a mowing crew( thatís what he likes to do) and I will run the landscaping side of things with a crew and eventually turn it over to someone I can trust. That will free me up to do paperwork and estimates. Now I want to know where to find good help because we were booking it yesterday and most companies I see people are very lazy. I guess there are gona be a lot of searching to find them. Or at least the good ones.

PerfectEarth
04-20-2011, 07:57 AM
PerfectEarth, all of your casas look to be tip top level customers and landscapes. That's awesome man. I wish I could build that quality of a customer base. Looks like I need to start advertising in more upscale neighborhoods. Your work is awesome bro.

Thanks Darryl, for the compliment.

As for customers, I admit I have had good "relationships" with the right type of residential customer- a lot of back story there. BUT- I have also done ZERO advertising and marketing. I have never chased work (maybe that's a bad thing) and always worked off work of mouth and referral. You have to let the work speak for itself. I hope to always operate like this. No cheesy coupons, discounts, and door hangers. I do drop nice brochures on occasion but I have always been low-key on potential customers.

Too many guys here post picture of their trucks 50 times and a backpack blower. Big deal. Let people see your best WORK. :waving:

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Here is what my black enhanced looks like. Go to post #132
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3995616#post3995616

MDLawn
04-20-2011, 09:14 AM

As for customers, I admit I have had good "relationships" with the right type of residential customer- a lot of back story there. BUT- I have also done ZERO advertising and marketing. I have never chased work (maybe that's a bad thing) and always worked off work of mouth and referral. You have to let the work speak for itself. I hope to always operate like this. No cheesy coupons, discounts, and door hangers. I do drop nice brochures on occasion but I have always been low-key on potential customers.

Too many guys here post picture of their trucks 50 times and a backpack blower. Big deal. Let people see your best WORK. :waving:

That comment I highlighted in your first paragraph just speaks for itself. That just gets people in trouble when you chase work. I've advertised and done some doorhangers with little to no success (people that do not fit into my plan). Most good business comes from a referral or someone seeing the work. Your work reminds me of the guy I worked for many moons ago, very detail oriented. I learned a lot from him.

With the second highlighted comment I agree with that completely and if I can ever remember my camera I will take pictures of some work this year. Doing a patio this year so that will be picture worthy. Also its a shame with some of the larger companies picture threads that many people just keep asking "Can you post of pic of your truck, tractor, skid steer, etc...." I think we all know what they look like. Instead they should be asking production questions, how to's, etc.. Maybe they should make two picture forums "Work Photos", "Trucks & Equipment" photos.

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 09:20 AM

No joke. Good post. I have never advertised either nor plan to in the near future. Quality and getting a job done in a timely manner is the key to referrals.

Darryl G
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I know I didn't mean to make it sound like you were ranting or anything and I understand it's a little clumpy in some spots. I'm going to have to take a better look at it tomorrow and re smooth I guess cause I thought it looked alright. Be sure to PM me the link to your mulch thread!

For me, the question I always ask myself regarding my own work is "was it done in a workman-like manner." As a minimum, that's the standard we should all be applying to our work. If there were ever an issue with payment with a customer, that's the standard that will be applied in the courts. I'm not trying to pick on you, but it's arguable that the job you did doesn't meet that standard.

weeze
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
i always try to post pics of all of my work. some of the yards look nice and some of them look like crap. my job is the same on either but there's only so much you can do sometimes lol.

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
i always try to post pics of all of my work. some of the yards look nice and some of them look like crap. my job is the same on either but there's only so much you can do sometimes lol.

I know how you feel and I am in the same boat as far as some yards are crap and others and nice. But i have learned the more you charge you will weed out those crap yards. It is hard to do and many do not realize it. Good luck

weeze
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I know how you feel and I am in the same boat as far as some yards are crap and others and nice. But i have learned the more you charge you will weed out those crap yards. It is hard to do and many do not realize it. Good luck

my prices are the same regardless of how nice or crappy the yard is lol. it doens't matter to me since they pay the same. i don't charge more for people that have a nice house and a nice yard and i don't charge less for people with a run down house and a crap yard. my price is simply my price regardless.

lukemelo216
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree, I hate just opening threads and simply seeing pictures of peoples equipment/trucks. Me I take pictures of all my work, but the camera and the computer stay at my office usually and then I just transfer them right over to my hard drive. So when I actually do go on LS I dont actually have the camera or the photos to upload any new pictures. Tomorrow when I am on my way home, I will try to remember to grab the camera.

lukemelo216
04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I just started a picture thread under bristol turf 2011 with some pictures from last year.

Darryl G
04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
This one is for PerfectEarth, lol.

PerfectEarth
04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
DUDE!! Sweet blower! Do you like it? When did you buy it? Do you like the left side controls? where did you buy it? I used to have one just like it. A buddy of mine has one...but it got stolen. How does it do on gas? What type of 2-cycle do you run? Do you work on it or do you have it serviced? What kind of dealer support do you get??

I love that one on here. "Dealer Support"... working it into a comment to sound fancy- like you're the Brickman Group and just purchased 45 brand new Exmarks or something... lol.

OK, sorry for the massive hijack. More work pics!

Kylec3
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
smooth it out a bit..lumppyy

93Chevy
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow, if I did a job that looked like that, I sure wouldn't post pics of it.

Pressedun
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Wow, if I did a job that looked like that, I sure wouldn't post pics of it.

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

weeze
04-20-2011, 09:14 PM
what do you think of the gas prices?

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
my prices are the same regardless of how nice or crappy the yard is lol. it doens't matter to me since they pay the same. i don't charge more for people that have a nice house and a nice yard and i don't charge less for people with a run down house and a crap yard. my price is simply my price regardless.

Yah i hear what you are saying ( that is the way i do it to) You took my post the wrong way. That's ok. I meant that if you increase your price you will not pick up as many crap yards.
Not many people are going to pay alot to mow a junky yard. So increasing your price gets rid of the lower class homes that normally do not have as nice of yard
and landscape. Make sense now? If not let me know.

weeze
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
lol yeah i get what you are saying. i try to price things high as i can without ripping anyone off haha. there's not really an upper class around here. it's all upper, middle, and lower middle class and then lower class that wouldn't even pay for someone to mow their yard. plus this is my first year full time so i need all of the customers i can get lol.

MMADDUX
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
lol yeah i get what you are saying. i try to price things high as i can without ripping anyone off haha. there's not really an upper class around here. it's all upper, middle, and lower middle class and then lower class that wouldn't even pay for someone to mow their yard. plus this is my first year full time so i need all of the customers i can get lol.

Really? I was down there 2 years ago but I did not pay any attention. And yeah you need any work you can get but if there is no profit, then why do it? you know that. It wont be that way eventually. Im starting to get to the point that i will raise prices because i have to much to do and or start another crew.
Edit: we should stop hijacking Southern Pride's picture thread.

Southern Pride
04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I agree about posting nothing but equipment. While it's great to see equipment pics and all in the spring sometimes that's all you can get because guys just haven't really started working yet. I try to post many a pictures of everything I do. My best quality is in my cuts which you guys can view in my other thread titled "5 yards I did Friday"

No one can tell me my cut quality is poor. This mulch job is the only one I've done since last year. Well last year I did one other also but like I said my customers never have me do it. You guys just straight up putting me down sure never start ANY pic threads at all. That's whats funny. You can get on here, click on a link and bad mouth someone for some lumps but there is no history of you EVER posting pics. I get about 1/3 looks good 1/3 Work looks amateur and 1/3 just down right trying to put it down and the guys in that last category are the ones I'm talking about.

I knew what I was signing up for by starting this thread, and yeah I don't think the mulch looks BAD, nor do I think it looks GREAT. The customer was very pleased with it, so once I get THAT approval, I'm good and got $220 profit. I just enjoy posting up the pics regardless. I know I'm gonna get the trolls in here that apparently are the picture of perfect without ANY evidence. PerfectEarth is the real deal though. Props to that man. Wish even 1/30th of my yards looked that good. I'll have another thread up before too long with all 30 of my houses CUT, and noone will be able to deny that quality.

Thanks to the guys who deliver constructive criticisms in a positive manner.

-Griffin

weeze
04-20-2011, 10:49 PM
i don't think he will mind lol...i get what you're saying...once i get filled up then i can be a little more picky about what i take or don't take...i still don't budge much even now. i have a figure in my head and i will come off a bit if necessary...like $5-$10 but i'm not gonna come off $20-$25 like some people want you to lol

ok now back to southern pride's thread rofl...sorry

BadRancher
04-20-2011, 11:22 PM
I agree about posting nothing but equipment. While it's great to see equipment pics and all in the spring sometimes that's all you can get because guys just haven't really started working yet. I try to post many a pictures of everything I do. My best quality is in my cuts which you guys can view in my other thread titled "5 yards I did Friday"

No one can tell me my cut quality is poor. This mulch job is the only one I've done since last year. Well last year I did one other also but like I said my customers never have me do it. You guys just straight up putting me down sure never start ANY pic threads at all. That's whats funny. You can get on here, click on a link and bad mouth someone for some lumps but there is no history of you EVER posting pics. I get about 1/3 looks good 1/3 Work looks amateur and 1/3 just down right trying to put it down and the guys in that last category are the ones I'm talking about.

I knew what I was signing up for by starting this thread, and yeah I don't think the mulch looks BAD, nor do I think it looks GREAT. The customer was very pleased with it, so once I get THAT approval, I'm good and got $220 profit. I just enjoy posting up the pics regardless. I know I'm gonna get the trolls in here that apparently are the picture of perfect without ANY evidence. PerfectEarth is the real deal though. Props to that man. Wish even 1/30th of my yards looked that good. I'll have another thread up before too long with all 30 of my houses CUT, and noone will be able to deny that quality.

Thanks to the guys who deliver constructive criticisms in a positive manner.

-Griffin

It needs edging and it looks unleveled in a few spots, I'm also not a fan of dark mulch. Bed Edging is ESSENTIAL on any mulch job, even straw. To me its 50% of the look! Its just like cutting grass, edging defines the yard and drive, sidewalk, curb and etc. Same thing with mulch!!! You have to have that definition!!!!

Look up 93chevy, he has nice pics of his work I believe. Pressedun also does nice work!!!

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM
It needs edging and it looks unleveled in a few spots, I'm also not a fan of dark mulch. Bed Edging is ESSENTIAL on any mulch job, even straw. To me its 50% of the look! Its just like cutting grass, edging defines the yard and drive, sidewalk, curb and etc. Same thing with mulch!!! You have to have that definition!!!!

Look up 93chevy, he has nice pics of his work I believe. Pressedun also does nice work!!!

Yeah man like I've said many times the beds are edged. Just not in the original pics. I always edge out those beds when I come to cut and the customer knows this. Also like I've said there are some spots with no grass near the beds, so those areas don't have a very definitive edge. Most people that really put you down have never posted pics.

BadRancher
04-21-2011, 01:56 AM
You say constructive criticism... I give you constructive criticism....

I don't post pics because I don't really care about that kind of stuff and never have a digital camera with me.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
04-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Yeah man like I've said many times the beds are edged. Just not in the original pics. I always edge out those beds when I come to cut and the customer knows this. Also like I've said there are some spots with no grass near the beds, so those areas don't have a very definitive edge. Most people that really put you down have never posted pics.

Here is some more constructive criticism. Edge the beds before you mulch so you don't make a mess of the mulch.

rlmlandscape
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I think your confusing what we call edging with what you call edging. I understand you use the string trimmer to edge the beds when you cut. What all of us are saying is to use a spade shovel and edge the beds 3"-4" deep before installing the mulch. Here is a link to my pics and I have some of before, after I edged and after the mulch was installed. Maybe it will help to give you a better idea of what were talking about. In my opinion edging the beds is half the look of a quality mulch job. Heres my thread http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=342168&page=6 . Also not every homeowner needs to be high end residential to afford quality work. I work for mainly middle-class people and their beds get edged when I install mulch, maybe you need to upsell it a little bit more.

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I believe I did provide some constructive criticism and even gave some tips on how to smooth the beds. In fact I think I was kind in what I said.

The bottom line and what you should take away from this is that what you did is substandard...not professional quality. All you seem to care about is that you made $200 on the job.

Not all of us have the budget and skill to put out a top notch product like PerfectEarth, but there's a bit more to mulching than pulling up some weeds and dumping mulch in the beds. Anybody can do that. What sets a professional apart is the ability to provide a product that goes above and beyond what the average homeowner can do themselves.

lukemelo216
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Not all of us have the budget and skill to put out a top notch product like PerfectEarth, but there's a bit more to mulching than pulling up some weeds and dumping mulch in the beds. Anybody can do that. What sets a professional apart is the ability to provide a product that goes above and beyond what the average homeowner can do themselves.[/QUOTE]

I cant speak for him, however; im sure he doesnt have an elevated budget becasue of his quality of work. He simply takes his time, and charges for it accordingly. If you put yourself to it, you can put out a top notch product. He doesnt have all sorts of tools and equipment he doesnt need.

The biggest thing is to not sell yourself short. Charge accordingly for your services. People will not have a problem paying for a high quality job, when the work is high quality.

Turf Commando
04-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Here is some more constructive criticism. Edge the beds before you mulch so you don't make a mess of the mulch.

OUCH..!!!
But so true why edge after mulch install ? makes no sense...

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all of the pointers guys, and no I don't just care about $$ at all....My #1 concern is customer satisfaction, and he loved it. I hear what you are saying about the edging but he didn't ask for it and I had enough to worry about. If you guys had seen real before pics then it would be like night/day.

I have done the edging before, even this season to some already existing beds without doing mulch but the customer asked for it so I did it. I guess I don't know what I was thinking posting pics as if it was a great job or anything I don't know...I just post them for the hell of it. Really though should of gotten the real before pics when the weeds were 3 ft high in all of the beds.

wiselandscaping
04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
"...Not all of us have the budget and skill to put out a top notch product like PerfectEarth..."

Can you afford a spade from A.M. Leonard? If yes, you have the budget to put out a top notch product.

As for skill? Cutting a 3"-4" v-shaped, consistent edge around a bed is not that hard.

Does a $1,500 dollar machine produce outstanding results very quickly? Yes, but not having the money for a machine is a terrible excuse for offering a sub par product.

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Well speaking for myself, I know that most of my customers are not willing to pay me to make things perfect, and I'm sure as hell not going to do it for free.

PefectEarth's work comes about as close to perfect as I've seen...and I'm sure he does take his time and bill accordingly, likely more than some customers are willing to pay.

I try to balance cost and quality while still meeting or exceeding my customer's expecatations. But attaining perfection isn't usually my goal on the properties I service. Getting things 90% "there" isn't difficult, it's going that last 10% that requires skill, time and money.

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
rlmlandscape, I checked out your pic thread you provided and that edging looks awesome.

lukemelo216
04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I wouldnt settle for 90% but thats just me. I price the jobs I do at the rate I want to. I always am making a profit on a job. I have a sliding price scale, meaning I have my cost of business, then I have my A through E Pricing. A 50% B 40% C 35% D 30% and E 20%. So on a 10 yard mulch job say with DS Hardwood, my cost is $49.00/yard installed. That Means I will try to sell that mulch anywhere from $73/yard down to $59.00 per yard and I will still make a profit. Now most of my work this year is around the C mark. 50% is usually never sold, however; there are some exceptions. But i usually always try to get my B pricing.

Now just beacsue I sell something at C or E doesnt mean I dont do 100% on the job. I always give 100%, it just means I dont make as much additional profit.

Our prices arent through the roof, we just work effeciently and make sure our work is always at 100%. When the quality of the work is there, the profit will be there too.

grassman88
04-21-2011, 08:58 PM
3.5 yards took you 2 hours without edging with 2 guys??? and the cali stance? i was hoping it was cause the mulch but i like the truck but have the wheele gaps equal would look much better!

PerfectEarth
04-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments (seriously) from everybody, especially Southern Pride... you're taking it all in stride. This is a good thread- we can all learn a lot from it.

I think Darryl didn't literally mean my operating "budget" is huge and therefore I do decent work... I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that he was talking about money in general- my type of customer and the value (?) of the jobs I do.

On most of my Springtime mulch/edge/clean-ups, we use what everyone else uses! ...blowers, rakes, wheelbarrows, big green buckets, and spades, etc. My truck/trailer combo makes things easier (and cleaner, more efficient), but the WORK is the focus. We remove all the soil from the edgings. We don't kick it into the bed and stomp on it. We don't mulch over weeds. We use "knife" tools to remove them. We hand-trim groundcover edges... I obsess about level mulch consistency. There is A LOT that goes into each and every yard I'm on. It's cliche, but I really do treat client's yards as my own.

Bottom line is- customers notice these things AND THEY SPREAD THE WORD. They see how we work our asses off (and they comment on it) and the detail we put into things. We're not acting like wusses in their yard- we still do a lot of heavy lifting and messy stuff... but the end result is CLEAN. Just me and another guy.

I know a lot of guys on here don't have access to or live near areas where I draw most of my work from. I get that. There are A LOT bigger landscape companies around here that smoke my clientele... They do BIG time work. I am small time right now. But the majority of yards I do in my pics still average $1200-2500 for Spring mulch and clean-up... Not CRAZY expensive but still no $500 mulch job. I like being priced where I am. It's too much for some, and fine for others...and I'm cool with that.

My bottom line is- you will get work with quality and detail. People will wait for you to show up because they want your product. If you have access to people who want to spend on their landscaping, target them! Make doing "high-end residential" part of your business plan and don't be cheap. Shy away from work where you can't display what you can do. Show customers pictures of you work- prove continually that you will without a doubt leave their property looking great when you finish the job.

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Very well said. Honestly guys, here in Memphis all the companys I've run all these years and now mine have never done the actual bed edging with a spade unless the customer really wanted that. I can honestly never remember doing it or have anyone ask for it (and that's ALOT of mulch jobs) but we do edge (with trimmer) around all of the beds and make that neat separation line. My point isn't that it makes it okay, but just to give you an idea where I'm coming from. It's a little different in different regions but I do believe that the edging with a spade is top notch. It really looks amazing. I'm going to go back and do it on the backyard beds on this house just to show the customer what I've learned and that I care. Guys I am just as obsessed with quality as the next guy. Definitely not a hack and I try not to take on any work that won't show that. Like I said though, we're mainly a cut company, and that's where my quality really shows. In the edging, etc. I know that's not a big deal but I have certain things I do to set me apart. I really appreciate the information, advice, and helpful criticisms. The guys just being plain ******s can F off though.

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Perfect Earth, I am stuck on your company's facebook page. Insanely awesome. I've been wanting to dig more into actual landscape jobs more and more as I go on. (constantly wanting to learn plus it's great $) but anyway I wanted to post a comment but can't find how to. I wanted you to take a look at my company page. Just search Griffin's Lawn & Landscape. I really want to get a cool logo like you have made...Maybe I can just do that in Paint or something??

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Ok, here's a link to my mulch job thread for you all to nit pick about, lol. I wouldn't have normally put it up since I don't think it's anything special, but it's in response to Southern's request.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3997924&posted=1#post3997924

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks darryl bout to check it out.

Greenlandscaping
04-22-2011, 12:20 AM
It was $940 I believe. A guy about 1.5hr from me sells them in Brownsville I think it was? Anyway, he drove it into Memphis and met me, it was a sweet deal. Everything brand new, except used tires but in good condition. If you can get one with the dove tail and short gate, I'd highly recommend it. Gate is very light and dove tail leaves no room for mower scraping. It's a single 3500lb axle, and so far it has been perfect. I do want to get a full 6x16 as I get more equipment and work though.
In aug. of 2010 i bought a 6 by 10 at the home depot for a 1000 and then title and what not costed me 200 but look for deals before the winter at depot, lowes etc. I already need a bigger trailer so choose wisley.:hammerhead:

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 12:33 AM
In aug. of 2010 i bought a 6 by 10 at the home depot for a 1000 and then title and what not costed me 200 but look for deals before the winter at depot, lowes etc. I already need a bigger trailer so choose wisley.:hammerhead:

Are you talking about the ones out in the parking lot with the tiny little tires on them?

Greenlandscaping
04-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Are you talking about the ones out in the parking lot with the tiny little tires on them?

No this one is about 2 of yours put together i got it real cheap and its runs nice i just grew out of it and i use two mowers but i cant only hold one

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 12:58 AM
2 of mine put together? How do you mean? You have a 6x10 and I have a 5x12 w/ single 3500lb axle and holds all 3 of my mowers? Is yours a double axle or something? I don't get it unless you were just being smartace.

Greenlandscaping
04-22-2011, 02:37 AM
2 of mine put together? How do you mean? You have a 6x10 and I have a 5x12 w/ single 3500lb axle and holds all 3 of my mowers? Is yours a double axle or something? I don't get it unless you were just being smartace.

wait do you have 2 trailers and also its a 6 by 12 i can just hold my 60 inch turf tracer with a push mower blower trimmer etc. I cant put my craftsman rider on it enless i use 2 ratchest of the gate to hold it up

South Florida Lawns
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Git-er-done!

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
I got her done as they say. Went back today with a spade shovel and made it perfect. I had so much going on in my mind about the day ahead I forgot the freaking camera. I'll go snap soon asap though. Thanks for all the help fellas, it really made a difference.

nepatsfan
04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Just so you don't think I was picking on you. I never post pictures...but I posted a few for you. Putting my money where my mouth is so to speak. I was dead serious in everything I said. It seems like you care though...so that is good.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=349022&page=2

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah man I do. Just read back where I was saying how no companys in all my 10 years have done the edging with a spade nor have I obviously. I don't know why but it's just not that popular around here. All we really do is edge the beds with trimmer to get that separation.