PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall help

ScottH
10-02-2002, 08:12 AM
My lot sits on a slope. the driveway is in back of the house and the wonderful builders( we didnt have it built) just outdid themselves. so, the driveway is trying to make its way down the hill.

I'm thinking of putting up a retaining wall approx 40' long. I have 4-1/2 to 5 ' of driveway above grade at the back. Driveway is gravel and will have to stay that way for another year or two. Right now, i'm thinking of using beams which will be painted installed vertically and packed with dry concrete in the holes. Then, railroad ties between beams. Top it off with a steel inverted channel. also planning on putting in a 3' concrete cylinder half way back to the house to which i could run rebar from back of each beam to tie them into the drive. Driveway does appear stable in that area.

my main question is does anyone know how deep a vertical post should be put in the ground to support say 5' above grade?

Any other thoughts, comments, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ScottH

Alan
10-02-2002, 03:03 PM
You might want to consider a "Segmental Retaining Wall" for that location. It would probably be easier than setting pilings. Even with the surcharge for traffic loads you're still within design heights for SRW with Geogrid.

Try www.retainingwall.com for information about Rockwood SRW systems. There may be a dealer in your area for Rockwood or a similar product. I'm familiar with R'wood products as they have a licensed manufacturer locally. Other brands are Versalok (sp?) and (I think) Keystone.

The Rockwood site shows some VERY impressive walls with heavy surcharges, so it can be done.

paul
10-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Last job that we did with driven pileings was a few years ago......
There we drove them 12' deep with 15' exposed, these where spaced 8' apart and we needed a engineer plus soil tests. Now I would think that by the time you found the I-beams that would be long enough or bought them, then hired a company to drive them, you could find a retaining wall company that would build a wall that would be cheaper.

Now I don't know what kind of slope you have but there are many ways of dealing with this, if you have room you could extened the slope and plant grass or other plants, a poured concrete wakll would work as would a natural stone wall. Lots of people pay big money for lots like that here, making the slope or lack of slope a main part of their landscape design.