PDA

View Full Version : How's business now?

starry night
04-19-2011, 07:04 PM
In reading through the archives of this forum, I got back to 2008 when I discovered the lighting business was apparently having some difficulties because of the economy. Some of the regular posters were talking about getting jobs in allied fields (e.g. landscape maintenance). Lighting was slow for others.

So how is it going now? Anyone care to comment or share a story?

The Lighting Geek
04-19-2011, 07:33 PM
It is steady for me, great first quarter. Too much rain in April and slow spring, but I am happy to be working.

starry night
04-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Good to hear, Tommy. First quarter? Here that means winter. Income doesn't even begin until quarter 2.

The Lighting Geek
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
For the most part, we work year round. Slower during rainy season, but ok.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
The only thing we are suffering from here is the slowest to arrive spring in recent memory! We were spoiled in 2010 and by this time last year had completed a few installations already. We just started doing seasonal maintenance today and have a few solid weeks of this work ahead of us. Once the warm weather arrives and stays for good we have a bunch of new installations to do as well as a surprising number of additions and renovations to complete.

The major difference in our market since 2008/2009 is a significant reduction in the number of new home starts. We have had to adapt to this change in the market by re-engaging our client base, targeting new markets, introducing new products (controls, LED and spec. grade systems) and re-energizing our "Remarkability Campaign"

Still confident we will see some year over year growth, but it may be more modest than in the past.

starry night
04-19-2011, 09:14 PM

The major difference in our market since 2008/2009 is a significant reduction in the number of new home starts. We have had to adapt to this change in the market by re-engaging our client base, targeting new markets, introducing new products (controls, LED and spec. grade systems) and re-energizing our "Remarkability Campaign"

Still confident we will see some year over year growth, but it may be more modest than in the past.

Some of my best years of profit go against the grain of the economy. The last two years have been excellent. Bear in mind, I have not entered the lighting field, yet. (Primarily, landscape maintenance.) I see some very good signs of a turnaround here in my region.... fair amount of new homes being built and several new businesses and existing business expansions.

Mark B
04-19-2011, 09:36 PM
The only way my year would get better if I had a few goddess living with me.. Hahaha. This is the best I have had in about 10 years. That is just life all around!!
Posted via Mobile Device

emby
04-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I am having a lot of fun developing my portfolio and learning a ton as always. Business looks promising for 2011.

Ken

David Gretzmier
04-20-2011, 12:26 AM
although we have had our best sales to date yet for landscape lighting in the first 4 months, with 2 guys helping me now, I currently have very little backlog. I don't know if I have exausted my spring rush, but I would love more work. If I only had one employee on lighting this quarter I would probably be one month out right now.

NightScenes
04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
January was dead but we are enjoying the busiest spring in a few years. I'm praying that the economy keeps on chugging along.

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Out by 8am---home by 10pm. Jobs, service calls(paid), demos, bids, night adjustments, fun...