PDA

View Full Version : Wut to do with these roots?

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-19-2011, 07:05 PM
I am doin a sod tear out an install. This tree has roots up at the surface that are in terrible shape. Extremely water logged and super soft. I was trying to dig around the rood to expose it and it was falling apart at the end, and in the middle and close to the trunk extremely wet. What should i do. Remove the root, install around the root? I dont know anything about root systems on a tree like this. please help

Think Green
04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
convince the customer to stay away from those inexpensive scalloped borders.
Extend the bed out past the root flare by about 4 feet and create a flowing natural border using steel edging, retainer stones. Extend that gutter drain out to the edge of the bed, add some more vinca minor, hedera helix, or hostas. Remulch and be done with it.
You will need to excavate some turfgrass in the process, so don't feel that this job is to hard.

JB1
04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
add some topsoil and sod over it.

Think Green
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
And you expect the sod to live for how long???

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
i like the idea of mulching around it but there is only about 5 feet make between the roots and the neighbors driveway, which is 4 feet below the grade of the yard i am working on. so i'm worried if i extend the bed out, the path of grass leading to the backyard will be reduced by 80%
the inexpensive pavers are definitely gone.

Earth_Effects
04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
can you post a broader picture of the area? Need to see more of the walkway to the back.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
first thing tomorrow i will

Smallaxe
04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
It looks like there is a slope away from the tree, yet you say the ground is wet and the roots are 'falling apart'...

If the roots are in wetter than normal areas, they may go above ground to get air and covering them or cutting them can be a real problem... What kind of tree is it?

Why is it a big deal to have only 4' of grass between the driveway and tree?

Think Green
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Axe,
The real problem i see is this tree is too close to the porch and foundation since the roots are so above ground like this. Years of compaction in the urban setting. And I am sure there has been several inches of soil wash from torrential rains and bare grounds.
Don't quote me but that tree appears to be a elm or a oak. I would worry about a splitting foundation and porch.

Smallaxe
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Roots definately will definately trash a foundation, sidewalk etc., and it very well could be the constant washout from the house roof... Am I to assume that the ground is wet from springtime and this moisture issue is not an ongoing problem? In that case, covering away from the crown, could be acceptable, but perhaps root removal is not good for Oak trees, this time of year, although I've done severe root pruning in the past with success. None of them died...

If its Elm, we just get rid of it because the Dutch Elm will start killing them at this size, most of the time...

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I have never done work on this property before so I am assuming it might just be because of the all of the rain we have had here........it has rained 4 of the last 7 days, and forecasted 4 of next 6......but i could literally pull the outer layer of the root off with my hands, maybe 1/4 inch until i hit solid wood.

Smallaxe
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
You are just talking about peeling the bark... I thought you were breaking up dead rotted roots in their entirety... :)

mike174
04-22-2011, 01:33 AM
All good suggestions above. How about getting the tree removed? That might be a better option depending on their budget.