PDA

View Full Version : Advertisement

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
04-19-2011, 11:24 PM
i had a guy approach me about doing a commercial for my business on the radio, but i dont feel the money i would spend for that would be very benefical. what are some of the things you guys have found to have the most feedback? i put out flyers and business cards and i have signs on my truck. i was thinking for next spring to get some really nice door hangers made up (instead of flyers). i want a sign or banner for the gate on my open trailer...do any of you have one and if so what is it made of and are you happy with it?

thanks in advance!
Zak

MOHUSTLER
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Been doing this for a long time and have spent thousands on all types of advertising on the LCO side and a dealership side.

Every area is different and what works here might not work for you.

With that said, as a LCO flyers, business cards , newspaper and phone book, are your smart investments. Raido, TV and billboard are a waste.

When someone is sitting in thier house thinking they need thier yard mowed they either one, grab the newspaper and look for adds or 2 grab the phone book and look at adds.

A good think to put with a flyer is a magnet, they arent much money and people will keep a nice magnet for thier fridge. They will toss a flyer in the trash. And 2 years down the road if they need yard work that magnet will still be on the fridge. Your flyer will be long gone in the trash.

Get Some...
04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Mohustler is correct IMO.
Magnet's and newspaper.
Newspaper ad's can be changed weekly......bold print to advertise the service that is needed for that time of year.

superdog1
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
While I am new to the LCO business, I have spent at least $50,000 in the last 10 years on advertising for my prior insurance business. What the other members have told you above are correct. My only exception is with the phone book. 10 years ago, a Yellow Pages ad would have been a no brainer, "must have" type of advertising. In today's world, the relevance of the phone book is dropping every year. The large insurance CO I worked for spent a LOT of cash doing doing research on how people attain services and goods when looking to make a new purchase etc.

A great majority of people now use the computer and the internet to search for something they want. If you are computer savvy, it takes less time to look up a phone # than it does to open up the phone book and dig through the Yellow Pages. Your choices are also much larger. If you create a website and then use Google Adwords, your CO's name will appear as a sponsored ad whenever someone does a search for landscaping, lawn cutting etc. in your area. This isn't the hardest thing to do, but it's not easy either.

Take the time to read all the info. on Googles website and see if it is something you want to do?. The other thing is to make sure that a human being answers your phone whenever a prospective customer calls. People will call and if they get a machine, they will hang up and keep calling until they get a person. Chances are they will use the first "Real" business that answers the phone, as when they are calling, they want an answer NOW!. In today's world, service is everything and everybody wants it done yesterday! Instant gratification is the name of the game, Lol

I am telling you this because I don't want a Yellow Pages salesperson to get a hold of you and talk you into wasting your entire advertising budget on a single location, place etc. While you need something in the phone book for all the old timers to read, you also need to use the old "Shotgun" approach and put ads everywhere at one time, as this method greatly increases your exposure.

You may also be told that your Yellow Pages CO will create a web page for you?. This is true, BUT, the page itself gets buried in the huge online Yellow Pages website itself and gets very limited exposure compared to a single website that you have put up and the page(s) they make for you are very generic and may not begin to cover all the great things your LCO can do. Good luck!

JFGauvreau
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Ya fridge magnets are a good way to advertise, most of my clients have them on their fridge. I mean how many times a day do you open your fridge?

The only problem I found with the fridge magnets is most people now are turning their old fridge for newer stainless steel fridge, and the magnet don't stick on it! lol

PostcardMania
04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
i had a guy approach me about doing a commercial for my business on the radio, but i dont feel the money i would spend for that would be very benefical. what are some of the things you guys have found to have the most feedback? i put out flyers and business cards and i have signs on my truck. i was thinking for next spring to get some really nice door hangers made up (instead of flyers). i want a sign or banner for the gate on my open trailer...do any of you have one and if so what is it made of and are you happy with it?

thanks in advance!
Zak

Hey Zak,

I know a lot of business owners in your industry have found a ton of success with the use of direct mail postcard marketing. See for yourself...

The company I work for, PostcardMania, has collected stories from some of our most successful landscaping clients and compiled them in a report we call "How to Get More Landscaping Clients: 7 Real-Life Marketing Success Stories". You can get a copy of this report here: http://bit.ly/gWWSSO

There's a lot of good, detailed info in this report. I think it will definitely help you with future marketing ideas!