PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do work for a Non-Profit organization Before!!

bulhead19
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
This is my second year going hard into lawn and property services and i need some advice on this new job i was called upon for. i received a call today about an apartment complex which was in need of mulch, top soil, planting, and taking away old mulch, top soil and dead or dying bushes (1 bush 1 dwarf spruce). I come to find out that the apartment complex was a non profit organization for mobilized handicap. so i wasn't sure on really how to charge them...Give em a a deal or..? So this is what i came up with:

4 yards of mulch@ $30 a yd = $120
1.5 yds of soil @ $40 +yd(cant get it yet due to the rain so priced varies)= $60+
4 hours of labor at $30 per man per hour ( 2 of us so 30x4= 120x2= $240)
Delivery/ Pick up for mulch/ soil $25
Material ( 5 3lb bags of potting soil= 25 + a solid $50 on the spruce trees ( 2 of them) so at least 75- $90 in material
Debris Removal (dirt, dead plants etc) I have to shovel out current mulch and id say quarter to half inch of soil then lay down my soil and mulch so id say $75
So im gonna ball park this job at around $650. about 4 to 5 hours of work myself and a helper. i was thinking about adding in a 10% discount due to the fact that they are non profit and "good willed".... so whats everyone thinking?.. I appreciate the tips and thoughts

alexschultz1
04-20-2011, 12:26 AM
non-profit does not mean that you should charge less. they are still a business and pay people salaries. i own a 501c3 non-profit charity and i have to pay my bills just the same as someone who owns an llc. non-profit just means that the organiztion itself cannot have a surplus of income.

topsites
04-20-2011, 12:39 AM
non-profit does not mean that you should charge less. they are still a business and pay people salaries. i own a 501c3 non-profit charity and i have to pay my bills just the same as someone who owns an llc. non-profit just means that the organiztion itself cannot have a surplus of income.

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner!

Get Some...
04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Quite a few non-profit mowing operation's around here.....but I woulkd never work for any of them.....

KZRider
04-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I sit on the leadership board of our church. While the generosity of people who choose to make charitable contributions is APPRECIATED it is not EXPECTED of those with whom we contract to do work. IMO you should contract with them as you would with any other client. If you choose to be generous afterwards, you deserve thanks AND a tax receipt for the value of your donation.

Hell on Blades
04-20-2011, 02:54 AM
I agree with all the above. Each year we get our fair share of "help requests" for a here and there family that needs a little help. That is entirely different from a business, for profit or not.