PDA

View Full Version : Burger King

bulhead19
04-20-2011, 05:01 AM
I have a meeting with the owner of of one the burger kings over by me today. since most bk's are the same and alike in set up and design..what should i charge to mow the grass, weed wack, blow and possible vacuum a small amount of clippings. Ill use my 21's which have baggers so ill take the grass clippings with me. I was thinking this...$40 per man per hour. it will take me 2 hours to do solo. so 80 bucks plus 10% to cover taxes and another 10% for my profit. So about $100 each visit. So for $100 i will mow, weed trim, blow and bag/vacuum the grass discharge and dispose the grass clippings in my truck/trailer. By vacuuming, i was gonna buy an echo shred n vac. So please let me know what you think about my bid...I meet with this guy in9 hours!!

vencops
04-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Will 10% cover your taxes? 10% all you need for profit?

So....you're actually at $60/man hr.

Nothing wrong with that (if that's what it costs you to do business.....or, you can get it). But, my "guess" is......you're not going to get $100/wk. to mow a BK. I'm a solo, too. And, I could do the one up the street in 30min..

Good luck.

Get Some...
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
A guy does one here for 30.00.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a meeting with the owner of of one the burger kings over by me today. since most bk's are the same and alike in set up and design..what should i charge to mow the grass, weed wack, blow and possible vacuum a small amount of clippings. Ill use my 21's which have baggers so ill take the grass clippings with me. I was thinking this...$40 per man per hour. it will take me 2 hours to do solo. so 80 bucks plus 10% to cover taxes and another 10% for my profit. So about $100 each visit. So for $100 i will mow, weed trim, blow and bag/vacuum the grass discharge and dispose the grass clippings in my truck/trailer. By vacuuming, i was gonna buy an echo shred n vac. So please let me know what you think about my bid...I meet with this guy in9 hours!!

Wow!!
With your 21'' bagger isnt worth $40 per hr Maybe $20 per hr

Good luck on winning the bid

Grass Shark
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
burger kings are like $35 cuts by me.

LawnGuy73
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
A guy does one here for 30.00.

Same over here, one being done for $37.00.

bulhead19
04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
vencops: what do you charge them? I took this advice from my uncle who is very successful in landscaping. Do you mow once a week? how often do you visit??

AzLawnMan
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Wow! Look, the big picture of this bid is that its probobly only going to be 1 store not 100, so dont fall for the "Give me a good price and I might be able to get you all the stores" chances are he only manages or ownes this one store. I used to do Del Tacos and I actually worked for the franchise and not the individual owners so I had many stores. I would charge them anywhere between $175-$225 per month and only serviced each property once per month. Your man hour rate is super high at $40, my man hour rate is $14.89 and I add an additional $7.50 for travel time. Now I may have more employees to bring down the average price than you do, but if we were in a meeting together, I would look at your numbers and think you had no idea what your talking about. I went to an HOA board meeting last night and they asked me my man hour rates and I stalled so they can go to the other guy first and I had the biggest smile on my face when he said "$75.00 an hour" I turned and said $22.39 and everyone nodded and wrote that down, the other LCO had a blank look on his face and then realized his mistake. Many companies and HOA's are now asking for man hr rates, hell I even had a comapny ask me for my profits margins!. Good luck with the bid, cant help with a price unless I knew what it looked like.

Runner
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
A BK for 100 a cut? Their corporate office in Florida probably doesn't even pay that.

vencops
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't do them, at all (to answer your question).

Not my cup of tea.

jsslawncare
04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Do it for some burgers and a shake.

hackitdown
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow! Look, the big picture of this bid is that its probobly only going to be 1 store not 100, so dont fall for the "Give me a good price and I might be able to get you all the stores" chances are he only manages or ownes this one store. I used to do Del Tacos and I actually worked for the franchise and not the individual owners so I had many stores. I would charge them anywhere between $175-$225 per month and only serviced each property once per month. Your man hour rate is super high at $40, my man hour rate is $14.89 and I add an additional $7.50 for travel time. Now I may have more employees to bring down the average price than you do, but if we were in a meeting together, I would look at your numbers and think you had no idea what your talking about. I went to an HOA board meeting last night and they asked me my man hour rates and I stalled so they can go to the other guy first and I had the biggest smile on my face when he said "$75.00 an hour" I turned and said $22.39 and everyone nodded and wrote that down, the other LCO had a blank look on his face and then realized his mistake. Many companies and HOA's are now asking for man hr rates, hell I even had a comapny ask me for my profits margins!. Good luck with the bid, cant help with a price unless I knew what it looked like.

My overhead is about $10 per hr. I pay my main helper $16.50 per hr (plus $3 per hr in taxes and comp), so I am at $29.50 per hour just to cover costs on the 1st guy working. We shoot for at least $50 per hr. But I never tell a customer what the rate is.

Maybe that is why I don't win those HOA bids!

AzLawnMan
04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
My overhead is about $10 per hr. I pay my main helper $16.50 per hr (plus $3 per hr in taxes and comp), so I am at $29.50 per hour just to cover costs on the 1st guy working. We shoot for at least $50 per hr. But I never tell a customer what the rate is.

Maybe that is why I don't win those HOA bids!

Well that is exactly the answer to alot of peoples questions on here when we see the posts "How do the larger companies under-bid me?" Its simple, they have more employees to bring the average cost of doing business down. I have an uncle in the biz and his man hour rate is right around $11.00 an hour. I have bid properties against him just to see where I was at, not that he wouldnt tell me how or what he was bidding at anyways but we do it to mess with eachother, but he is always able to come in cheaper than me and he has 100 more employees than I do. But its the same for larger companies, they are able to get better insurance rates than a smaller company, better shop space for cheaper, better gas prices and etc so their cost of doing business is lower than mine or yours would be. At $29.50 an hour I will win every bid against you. I am bidding a property right now and I am only making $2 profit per man on that property, but I am making 500% on over-seeding, 200% on pre-emegance, of course 90% of tree trimming is pure profit and I own 2 de-thatchers and an aerator and I will be charging $475 to de-thatch and aerating is $750 per application at least twice per year. So even if you are not able to make money on the hour rate then you can make it up on the extras. If there are no extras and you are making pennies then you need to just walk away. I have a property now that I charge $6300 for the year in weekly maintenance but I made $16k on that same property in extras!

cms289
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Well that is exactly the answer to alot of peoples questions on here when we see the posts "How do the larger companies under-bid me?" Its simple, they have more employees to bring the average cost of doing business down. I have an uncle in the biz and his man hour rate is right around $11.00 an hour. I have bid properties against him just to see where I was at, not that he wouldnt tell me how or what he was bidding at anyways but we do it to mess with eachother, but he is always able to come in cheaper than me and he has 100 more employees than I do. But its the same for larger companies, they are able to get better insurance rates than a smaller company, better shop space for cheaper, better gas prices and etc so their cost of doing business is lower than mine or yours would be. At $29.50 an hour I will win every bid against you. I am bidding a property right now and I am only making $2 profit per man on that property, but I am making 500% on over-seeding, 200% on pre-emegance, of course 90% of tree trimming is pure profit and I own 2 de-thatchers and an aerator and I will be charging $475 to de-thatch and aerating is $750 per application at least twice per year. So even if you are not able to make money on the hour rate then you can make it up on the extras. If there are no extras and you are making pennies then you need to just walk away. I have a property now that I charge $6300 for the year in weekly maintenance but I made $16k on that same property in extras!

11 an hour total per person cost is great, but I pay all of my guys more than 11 an hour. Different areas have different cost of labor. I know AZ has cheaper labor, that helps. Also the quality of your people will differ. Your right on, if you have 200 guys you just hire them and they leave in a few weeks, you run crews with an extra guy or 2 to make up for this. That works great in the commercial world, but for my higher end residential customers they do not want to deal with those people. They could pay less, but they want people they can talk to, that they feel safe working around their homes and families.

It is just a different type of business with different types of customers. You can not compare the two by just price. The economy of scale is a parabola, and at some point you do not gain anything adding size. Plus, it comes to what you like to do. I can think of 2 companies in my area, both have net profits in the 1 million range, but they are way different in size and scope. My guess is one’s gross receipts is 12-15 million and one’s are closer to 4 million. The outcome is about the same, the type of people that run them are totally different. The larger one is run by a MBA I went to school with, it is a cost point business. Mostly commercial. No above and beyond service. The other is a guy that still goes in the field with his guys, loves plants, loves the out doors, I bet when he retires he will keep a handful of customers to do. Only very high end customers that are VERY loyal. Both of these guys have taken their skill sets and have become very successful, and both seem happy with they way they do it.

I guess the point is you have to choose which type of company you are. We all have our place, the low price guys and the heavy personal service guys. And the type of customer they both attract is totally different. So, do not get so set on per hour cost. To be honest This market is HUGE, more than enough room for all of us

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-22-2011, 07:10 PM
skip the bagging, mulch mow, and you could bid much lower without the added work of carrying clippings around. Key is not to let the lawn get overgrown between mowings, not tough to do.

Clark Griswold
04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
weed wack

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wiedmann
04-22-2011, 07:59 PM
With all this talk of being able to charge less per man hour makes me really think. Personally I have been around a few different law care companies and now am in the first year of running my own. I have gotten out bided a lot in my first year as I know i might have a bit higher cost but with that cost comes things that big lawn care companies cant do. For instance, i have a elderly lady who i mow for... she pays me $100 to mow something that takes me around a hour and 20 minutes to do but she doesnt care because I'm a local person and take pride in mowing her yard. I take the few extra minutes to stop talk to her when i mow and she really enjoys the social part and being friendly. i know a lot of the bigger mowing companies around me dont do that, but that's not their field they are in. they are there to mow and go to the next one.. im a one man crew and try and focus on the things the bigger guys cant / dont do to earn customers. I personally try to stay around $50 to $60 a hour.

vencops
04-22-2011, 08:03 PM
I personally try to stay around $50 to $60 a hour.

Based on a 40hr work week.....that's almost $115K/yr. (gross).

As a solo......congratulations.

Bumpmaster
04-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Do it for some burgers and a shake.

And some coupons.

Copy that, Bring it on, come on, come back.:usflag:

Wiedmann
04-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't work 40 hours a week.. that's not my goal of my mowing business. I wouldn't want to be working for 40 hours a week with cutting grass. Used to work for companies that had me working 70 hours a week due to rain and other things because they had me planed out to mow 40 hours work of yards in a week. I do all mine solo so I have a set limit I try to stay in order to keep my workload to a reachable amount.

Bumpmaster
04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't work 40 hours a week.. that's not my goal of my mowing business. I wouldn't want to be working for 40 hours a week with cutting grass. Used to work for companies that had me working 70 hours a week due to rain and other things because they had me planed out to mow 40 hours work of yards in a week. I do all mine solo so I have a set limit I try to stay in order to keep my workload to a reachable amount.

Copy that, Bring it on, come on come back.:usflag:

Bumpmaster
04-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Ask for no Maynoise when ordering the sandwich.

RoyalTree
04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
A good friend of mine mowed about 40 of them untill last year. they were all corporate owned. He got 80 each plus the extras.
Posted via Mobile Device

bulhead19
04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I won the 2 burger kings. I start them on Monday. The bigger one is 50 bucks the tiny one is 25. I charge extra for any thing other than mowing weed trimming and blowing.