PDA

View Full Version : Steps?

OutdoorCreations
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I am building a curved retaining wall using CST Versa-Lock Standard units that is going to be 115' long and 3' high. The homeowner has decided that she would like 2 sets of steps, one on either end of the wall (not on the very end, they will be inset).
The finish height of the wall and steps is going to be 36" high above grade. Do you guys usually use wall block to construct the entire structure? I came up with a total of 63 blocks for each stair case (they are going to be 4' wide). It just seems like that is a lot of expensive material to use to construct steps. This is how I have done it in the past, but was wondering if you guys do it this way or use another method. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

Anthony

sven1277
04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Thats what I generally use to construct steps.

stuvecorp
04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
That's how I do it. I would use the gray standard(cheapest) but sometimes there are beat up block even cheaper.

OutdoorCreations
04-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys!

DVS, anything to add????

SVA_Concrete
04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys!

DVS, anything to add????

throw water on a grease fire why don't you.

DVS Hardscaper
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
MY sincere apologies in the lengthly delay in responding to your very important concern, Outdoor Creations.

I dont know what this block is you're talkin bout using. When referencing block, please state the dimensions so those of us that don't use it know what you're talkin bout.

And ummm......NO. I'm not gonna sit here and Google the fah king thing :)

I'm guessing you're talking bout building a cute little pedistal out of block?

Yeah, the block companies will LOVE you for that! That's what, 2 pallets of block per set of steps, and most of it's burried!!!!!! Do you also lather twice as the instructions on the shampoo call for? Do you also change your car's oil every 3,000 miles as the oil tycoons have scared most of the population into doing?

Build your first step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

Build your 2nd step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

Build your 3rd step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

Build your 4th step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

If required, build your 5th step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

If required, build your 6th step course. Backfill with Crusher Run and compact.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-20-2011, 10:18 PM
throw water on a grease fire why don't you.

I needed that!:laugh::laugh:

Murphy's Law
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Why not use granite for the steps to break it up a bit...You'll definitely save labor dollars.

OutdoorCreations
04-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you DVS! I figured that you would have a tried and true method that you would have like to share.
As for the granite....it is a little harder to find in these parts, so that means more money for the material. This may or may not affect the total cost, but I have never installed granite steps.
I wasn't sure if the "DVS Method to stairs" would hold up over time, but I will take your word for it DVS:) I also thought that all the weight of the block in such a small area would have settlement down the road.

Thanks again!

DVS Hardscaper
04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
As long as the overdig has had multiple years to settle - the steps will be fine.

In one of MRusk's recent threads there is some talk about step construction. There are a few good guys here that do utilize the pedistal method and firmly believe in it. So it's one of those "to each his own" things.

I think the block weight is not different than aggregate.

Moneypit
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I've done stairs with the crusher run method over 12 years ago that look as good today as the day I built them.