PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on Multi Tool - Shindaiwa vs Maruyama

ChristianJ318
04-20-2011, 03:46 PM
I know most people say only buy a dedicated tool for each job but my purpose is to use a multi tool system as a back up trimmer and hedge trimmer. I currently run all Shindaiwa handhelds but a problem with a new ht2510 hedge trimmer is forcing me to buy a multi tool now. The only dealers in my area that I'll buy from carry Shindaiwa, Maruyama and Echo. I havent even looked at the echo's because theres just something about the fact that they are in home depot that bothers me. Im worried about the shin. m242 because of all the problems ive read about on here with the t242. Have the kinks been worked out on the 2011 models? Does it have enough power to be used as a good trimmer?
The 5 yr warranty sounds great on maruyama but the attachments all looked cheap as they could be to me. The edger attachment looked absolutely horrible but the price was about the same as shindaiwa's attachments.
Please give any feedback you have on these as I need to buy today or tomorrow at the latest to finish a landscape job.

ChristianJ318
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Any input? going to dealer in the morning to make the purchase
Posted via Mobile Device

Tennesseepowerstroke
04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
I like my Shindaiwa M231 but the shafts seem to wear where the "release pin" goes in the "hole". Mine has plenty of power for the hedge trimmers and weed trimmers but is not as strong as I would like for the edger. I have about a hundered hours on the head and have not had the first problem with it. I have no experience with the other brand. I looked at the Stihl but none of the dealers in my area could verify if they were commercially rated. A lot of Stihl products are but it seems to be a guessing game as to which ones are.

Alan0354
04-21-2011, 01:32 AM
I always have a lot of opinions!!!:laugh:

OK, I am always a Maruyama fan.......but when come to multi tool, Maru has too few attachments and no short shaft articulate hedge attachment, so I am not going to suggest this.

I have the Shindaiwa M242. I have to change the choke assembly because the original unit has recall. It is not that powerful for a 24cc engine. Honestly if I were to go out and buy one today, I would go with Husqvarna. The good thing is Shindaiwa has the short articulate hedge attachment, there is no added shaft length to the power head so the total shaft length is 29". I can use it as regular hedge trimmer with good control because I can literally grap the handle on the gear box, it is that short. Unless you need to trim straight rectangular shape boxwood( which is very trying), you can do everything else with this in place of the regular hedge trimmer.
My other problem with the M242 is when I use it as hedge trimmer to reach high, the gas filter alway work itself into the neck and can't get gas. I put a few 1/4" nut to weight it down, still it give me problem occationally.

Echo, Redmax and Stihl do not have the short version of the articulate hedge trimmer attachment which to me is a big disadvantage in your case. So I would not consider these.

The only other one I know that has the short articulate hedge attachment is Husqvarna. The 326LDx engine is very well know to be reliable and has been out for a long time. If I were to do it again, it would be a no brainer to get this instead of the Shindaiwa. You also has the option of the 324LDx which use the super reliable Honda GX25 4-stroke engine that don't need to mix oil.

I know Redmax, Kawasaki has the short shaft articulate hedge trimmer, but they are not the multi tool units.

Look into Husqvarna 326LDx and 324LDx. I believe the power head comes with the string trimmer attachment( at least the time I was shopping ) so you don't have to pay extra for that. I almost got that except the dealer was totally out of stock when I was ready to buy and Shindaiwa had a promotion of getting a free string trimmer attachment if I get the head and the hedge attachment.

If you really has to buy the Shindaiwa, I'll get the M2510 or M231.

Enough opinion for you yet?:laugh:

Tennesseepowerstroke
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
M231 is long gone unless you want a used one.

Alan0354
04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
M231 is long gone unless you want a used one.

Too bad, from reading posts here, the T242 and T282 don't seem to live up to the Shindy reputation. I don't have big problem with my M242, just the small little things that is irritating specially the filter don't pickup gas, that is really irritating when you have to stop and stick the filter back to the tank.

ChristianJ318
04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Id be ok with buying used but their aren't any within 200 miles or so from me (that ive found) and I definitely cant find a 2510 or any of the old models in stores. I couldve sworn I saw a maruyama short articulating hedge trimmer attachment but, if they dont offer one then maru. is outta the picture. As for the 242 filter issue, have you tried slipping another line over the fuel line? I havent looked at it so that might not even been possible but if its one line thats obviously too flexible, it seems like you could get some line from hd or lowes that would fit over it and stiffen it up a bit.

Alan0354
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Id be ok with buying used but their aren't any within 200 miles or so from me (that ive found) and I definitely cant find a 2510 or any of the old models in stores. I couldve sworn I saw a maruyama short articulating hedge trimmer attachment but, if they dont offer one then maru. is outta the picture. As for the 242 filter issue, have you tried slipping another line over the fuel line? I havent looked at it so that might not even been possible but if its one line thats obviously too flexible, it seems like you could get some line from hd or lowes that would fit over it and stiffen it up a bit.

I never try trouble shoot anymore now that I have the maruyama. I straightly use it as a string trimmer now.

You might be right:

http://maruyamausa.com/uploadedFiles/Maruyama_US/Support/Specification_Sheets/NMC-ATTACHMENTS.pdf

In my days, I saw only one articulate hedge attachment, I notice they have two now......HTSL and HTS. Check with your dealer on this. I don't mean to mislead you, I was really looking for at the time and I gave up because of that, I even talked to the dealer also. I would take Maru over the Shindaiwa, even Husqvarna. If they came out with the short one, they must heard our voices!!!

Yes Maru would be my first choice. I have two pieces of Maru and I have nothing but praise about them. They are very well built, easy start, no bogging even when stone cold, just won't pull full rpm until like 20 seconds later. Unlike the M242, it die when you try to rev it cold!!! Maru are definitely easier to start, mostly two pull on both my blower and the hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer is quiet!!! Only the Honda GX engine can compare.

I don't see you need the 31cc head unless you have to do heavy duty trimming. For hedge attachment, even the 22.5 cc is enough. But to be safe, get the 25cc one. Only one thing is the 25cc is quite new. The 22.5 has been around, it is on my hedge trimmer also. I can't tell you how powerful it is because you really don't need a lot of power for the hedge trimmer. Both the 22.5 and the 31cc have been around and no complains I know of.

One more thing, my Maru are good on gas too.

ChristianJ318
04-22-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the replys. I went with the m242. I took another look at the maruyama and just couldn't make the switch. A few weeks ago I was given a maruyama bcl2550 as a loaner and hated the trigger lock/cruise thing on the side as I kept accidentally engaging it, that could Be a problem while trimming shrubs. It also felt very underpowered to be 25cc but I'm used to my t282 in all fairness. The best thing about it was warm up time which wasn't more than like 15-20 seconds. Another thing that kinda sealed it for me is that the dealer said they haven't sold much maruyama so I figured parts won't be kept stocked like shindaiwa as everyone in my area runs shindy or echo. As I said before the accessories that were on hand looked and felt extreeemely cheap when compared to shindaiwas.
Now as for the m242, so far I'm very happy with my decision. I've only used it as a trimmer on two yards this afternoon so my experience is very limited but it seemed to actually have more power than the 25cc maruyama. The only time it bogged down was when I hit a mole mound. I've flipped it every direction and angle I can think of to replicate the filter problem you guys have mentioned with a quarter to a third of a tank of gas and didn't experience any issues so far, maybe they addressed the issue? The only thing I don't like about it so far is that my forearm pretty much has to rest on the top Of the engine which gets hot. I don't know if it's because of it's shorter length and has to be held at a different angle or what the deal is but I don't have that problem with my t282. I haven't set them side by side to notice any differences yet but regardless, I'll just have to figure out a way to adjust to it if I ever have to run it as a trimmer for an extended period to not burn my arm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
04-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Let us know how you like it. Can you do me a favour? Can you fish out the gas filter and measure what is the length of the tube from the opening of the neck to the base of the gas filter( not the top, just to the bottom of the filter.). I have a suspicion my tube is too short that cause the problem.

ChristianJ318
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah give me a couple days though to get caught up
Posted via Mobile Device