PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer: Shindaiwa v. Kawasaki

bagator
04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Deciding whether to purchase a Kawasaki 44" single sided trimmer KHS1100B
or Shindaiwa 40" HT231-40. Any experiences or thoughts?

Alan0354
04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
44" is toooooooo long. 40" is really pushing it already.

That said, Kawasaki D model is every bit as good as Shindaiwa. I did a lot of research on the gear box and Shindaiwa, Kawi D series and Maruyama have the similar and the best design where they have two ball bearing one on each side of each gear. And they all have roller bearing on the connecting rod of the blades.

Kawasaki is usually a lot cheaper than Shindaiwa. I would go with Kawasaki. I bought the Maruyama hedge trimmer, I really like it. The engine is very easy to start, very little warmup needed. It has very good blades. This is the cheapest I found so far.

http://www.norwalkpower.net/store/pc/Maruyama-Hedge-Trimmers-c159.htm

Go on ebay to look for Kawasaki, they are cheaper than even Maru.

brodo374
04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
I have a kawa kgt-27a. It is very very powerful and extremely light. (great combination). However, it began running poorly. Took it to the shop and it came down to the carb. Well this kawa has no adjustments for the carb and I had to purchase a new carb for it. ($85). I see only one reason for kawasaki to make a carb that one cannot adjust and I am sure it's dollars. I certainly didn't like that. But this trimmer is so much lighter than my echo that I still grab for it.

stephen424
04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I think he's talking hedge trimmers. But I too have the kaw 27A string strimmer. Very light, but I'm starting to feen for more power. I have the 27A and a KM 90R stihl kombi. The stihl is wayyy heavier but I like its power @ 29 cc. The 27A has 26 cc I think
I'm going to look @ the kaw 35A soon, with 34 cc. I hope its light as well
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
The Kawasaki likely will be harder and the wait longer for parts. Shindaiwa makes a good single hedge trimmer( make sure to get a sweep for it). You might find a good used one out there - Craigslist or Ebay.

However, if you have a Maruyama dealer near you that you like, go with them since they have a great gearbox and hardened blades. Good warranty also.
I'm guessing but I think the price would be on par to the Kawasaki unit.

Let us know what you finally decide and why....

Alan0354
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
On a different note, consider a double side 30" instead. I did a lot of hard comparison when I bought my Maruyama last Christmas. I even borrow a 30" single side to try. The two side just cut better. Branches grow both direction, I always has to cut both direction to get all of them. Yes the handle of the single side feels better, but it is very inconvinent to use. I really want to get a single side but after trying and talked to people here, I went with the 30" double side and glad I did. I can tell you the weight is very minor difference.

I have the Echo HC151, Shindaiwa M242 with hedge trimmer attachment and the Maruyama HT2321DLR. I think the Maru blades are a little better, not a big difference, but just feel a little better. Check the teeth depth and the opening of the Shindaiwa, the opening and the depth on my Shindaiwa is smaller and shorter than Maruyama and Echo. Maybe it is a pole hedge attachment. But the bigger the opening and deeper the teeth, the bigger the branch you can cut.

FYI, if weight is important, Tanaka and Stihl HS81 are the lightest by about 2 lbs. But the gearbox design is nothing like the three I mentioned. But they do have good reputation though.

Alan0354
04-20-2011, 08:47 PM
The Kawasaki likely will be harder and the wait longer for parts. Shindaiwa makes a good single hedge trimmer( make sure to get a sweep for it). You might find a good used one out there - Craigslist or Ebay.

However, if you have a Maruyama dealer near you that you like, go with them since they have a great gearbox and hardened blades. Good warranty also.
I'm guessing but I think the price would be on par to the Kawasaki unit.

Let us know what you finally decide and why....

The Kawi D series are a lot cheaper on ebay, I saw $260 for the 600D before!!! That is cheaper than even the Echo HC151 in HD!!! For the bang for the buck, Kawi hands down the best. Maruyama is very well built, it is a little heavy because it has extra brace to make the unit more rugged!! The plastic outer cover really cover the engine!!! Clear difference compare with Echo and my Shindy M242. I only have it for 4 months, but I really like it.

doublesharp
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I've had this trimmer for several years and it's been reliable. I like the 40" single side but it gets to be heavy after about 20 minutes. I mainly trim boxwoods and it goes thru them fast.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0156.jpg

ghunter502
04-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I have 2 kawasaki's I really like them I like shindaiwa trimmers so either would probably be good.

Alan0354
04-21-2011, 01:44 AM
I've had this trimmer for several years and it's been reliable. I like the 40" single side but it gets to be heavy after about 20 minutes. I mainly trim boxwoods and it goes thru them fast.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0156.jpg

Yes the Husqvarna is very nice, actually I was seriously consider this one after you show this same picture as there was a new one on ebay for something like $375. Actually that was the one I compare with the 30" double side all along down the wire and finally decided to go with the 30". I am not tall, it was kind of awkard to hold it. It wound be a lot better if it is 36" or 34" for me. 30" is just too short.

If you can still find one on ebay new, it's worth considering if you insist on single side.