PDA

View Full Version : Beware Shemin

John Allin
10-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Been dealing with Shemin Nurseries for several years (amongst others). Not really had much of a problem (even when they were still Imperial).... recently though, it appears there may have been a change in philosophy there. Been getting some really bad plant material from them recently, and they are downright belligerent about our rejecting trees with no leaves, ivy that looks anemic, and the like....

Don't know what's up, but think ya'll should be aware if you're dealing with them at all.....

Loosestrife
10-02-2002, 10:47 PM
Ahh... Shemin- The place where you stand at the counter waiting for a sales person while 3 sales people loaf around the watercooler not even acknowledging you.

John Allin
10-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Kinda sounds like we're talking about the same branch too...

steveair
10-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Hello,

Do you think that maybe the drought has had some effect of fall plant quality? I can honestly say that locally, I've noticed a definite decline in overall plant quality at many of my suppliers.

Also, because of both the drought and the downturn in the economy, I've noticed that alot of the nurseries just don't have the inventory on hand that thy usually do......so in other words, you get stuck with 'those plants' that no one else wanted to buy and have been sitting around since spring, or last year, or who knows when.

steve

John Allin
10-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Interesting point.... I suppose that might be true... hadn't thought of that....

65hoss
10-03-2002, 10:10 PM
...but if their business approach and customer service seems to be a problem, it might not be drought related that is effecting the plants. It might be their maintenance of the plants.

tailoredlook
10-04-2002, 03:29 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the branch near me. Sales people are on the ball, ask if I 'm being helped. Walk the yard with the picker tell him exactly what plants I will take and not take. I guess your branch just ain't contractor friendly. But then again near me there are several other nursuries that would kill for the biz.