PDA

View Full Version : Kubota ZD326 issue

Circle 4 Ranch
04-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Kubota ZD326 here, bought last year. I’m not a commercial user, got about 60 hrs on it. Great mower, I like it a lot.

Only one issue that has popped up. Three times now, it will suddenly sputter lose power. Each time I stopped the deck, let it kind of catch itself..then it goes on like nothing ever happened. I’ve thought about fuel filters, in fact bought two…it has two filters…but haven’t put on. I’m in the process of moving, and everything is packed and I can’t even get to them now or I would change. BUT…given how good it runs otherwise, I’m not so sure that is the problem. Seems if it was the filters, it wouldn’t be so momentary.

Anyone with ideas?

GlynnC
04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Kubota ZD326 here, bought last year. I’m not a commercial user, got about 60 hrs on it. Great mower, I like it a lot.

Only one issue that has popped up. Three times now, it will suddenly sputter lose power. Each time I stopped the deck, let it kind of catch itself..then it goes on like nothing ever happened. I’ve thought about fuel filters, in fact bought two…it has two filters…but haven’t put on. I’m in the process of moving, and everything is packed and I can’t even get to them now or I would change. BUT…given how good it runs otherwise, I’m not so sure that is the problem. Seems if it was the filters, it wouldn’t be so momentary.

Anyone with ideas?

The problem is indeed the fuel filters--just had the exact same problem with my son-in-law's ZD326. The mower (with 200 hours) came as part of the deal on his new house wih 9 acres. The filters are somewhat of a pain to get to--don't forget to bleed the air out of the fuel lines before starting. The owners manual says this is a dealer repair--I did it but it did take a couple hours.

Circle 4 Ranch
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks. That's actually good to know it's the filters and not something else.

I've looked, and figured this is one of those pita things to change them.

How did you go about bleeding the lines?

grassman177
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
i have filters to put on mine, but have never got around to it.....have 1000hrs and no issues at all like that. sounds fuel related though and could be either low fuel, or the valve to switch tanks is not in the correct position. i find guys screw this up alot as it is not to the left and right respectively, it is to the left for left and down for right. right is off.

just thought you would like to know that in case you did not already

GlynnC
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks. That's actually good to know it's the filters and not something else.

I've looked, and figured this is one of those pita things to change them.

How did you go about bleeding the lines?

Bleeding the line is the easy part--this is the last thing before starting.

Just did this a couple weeks ago so the process is fresh in my worn out old brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And many thanks to my Kubota parts guy for sharing some how-to hints!

Clamp off the fuel line from the tanks--I used a pair of vice-grips. Clamp tight enough to trun off the fuel, but no so tight to ruin the fuel line.

I removed the line from the top of the filters first, then removed the bolts holding the filter clamps, pulled the filters down to get them free of the clamps, removed the lower hoses, put new filters on the lower hoses (be sure to turn new filters the same direction as the old ones--they have directional arrows for the fuel), reinstall clamps, then put on upper hoses.

Release clamp on fuel line. On the high pressure fuel pump (same side of engine as fuel filters, there's what appears to be a bolt head--this is a bleed valve. Lossen slightly (do not remove), then turn the key to the on position. The electric fuel pump (a metal fuel filter shaped pump in between the two plastic fuel filters) will pump fuel through the filters, lines, and up to the high pressure pump. When fuel comes out of the bleeder valve, close the valve and it should be good to go.

These appear to be awesome mowers--a little big to haul around for regular commercial mowing--at least the type I do, but great for larger mowing blocks. We've put about 15 hours on my son-in-law's (actually my grandson's). Fuel consumption appears to be less than 1 gallon/hour (compared to 2 or more on my 25hp Scag/Kohler) and the 26hp Kubota diesel handles the 60" mowing deck easily.

Good luck, and come back at me if you have more questions. Have faith--as the Kubota parts guy said, get fuel to a Kubota diesel and it'll run!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again as I first stated, ours was doing the exact same thing--the new filters solved the problem.

Circle 4 Ranch
04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Glynn I appreciate the instructions. I copied this and saved for later. I can't do this right now, even though it needs it. Moving to southern Illinois...and doing it all myself. Already taken two loads up, final one in two weeks. It's about all this old man can handle.

I bought this mower because of mowing I needed to do at a ranch I'm trying to sell, having sold my larger tractor. I figured I would buy a place in Illinois that would need that kind of mower. I was right. So happens the current owner has the exact same mower. It looks like I'm going to have more mowing in Illinois than what I've been doing here in Texas too...and it's going to be a fair amount. The Kubota will really be used.

bamaturf
04-22-2011, 09:54 AM
sounds like you got the fuel filters changed out. i just did the same. my
kubota dealer showed me some shortcuts they use in the shop. they said
just turn the fuel petcock off. then on the sideplate remove 2 bolts ( the nuts
are backwelded) and the whole bracket drops down. push up vertical and
unhook fuel lines and fuel pump then the bracket drops way down for easy access. this all saves alot of time if you have to change out in the field. they also said when your done ,turn the fuel back on and the newer models will
prime back up .kinda like the same as running out of diesel and switching
tanks.hope this helps for next time

homerescue
05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
kubota had a silent recall on fuel pumps, my was replaced at the dealer for same problem but mine still has power loss.