PDA

View Full Version : We now have 89 LCO's in our paper

CustomCreations
04-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I was just browsing through our local paper and saw advertising for 31 NEW "lawncare" businesses bringing the total advertising to 89. I posted last year on this as for the $18.95 mowing but there are guys now putting under 10K sq ft for 10 dollars.. Showing fully insured. The smart thing to do is pick this fella and sub my lawns out if I knew they were any good... Thats a good business move :cool2:

Just getting absolutely ridiculous.. Dont even need a truck anymore just a car with a trunk...

Forgot to add those 89 "companies" are in a town of 38,400

BINKY1902
04-21-2011, 12:28 AM
In my town around this time of the year you see a ton of ads for lawn care, but by June you see the same amount of ads for almost new/used commercial mowers for sale.

topsites
04-21-2011, 01:15 AM
It's more every year.

rcslawncare
04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Iv counted at least 20 non legit this year I haven't seen before. Don't mind seeing the competition doing it right, but unloading a MTD rider with no hood out of an old Toyota U-Hall truck.... Good stuff right there.

Richard Martin
04-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Even my wife said something to me about it. She said she was stopped at a traffic light and she saw 4 LCOs go by while waiting for the light to turn green. It gets even worse on the weekends around here. Then the part timers come out.

Jimslawncareservice
04-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Well the other day I saw a guy from iowa up here doing clean ups. Is there no work down there. We are a good hour from the border. He has advertising either. Not sure how he gets work.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I see a few new "companies" around me but really not that many. I see the usual, legit companies around and only a few new ones. I never see the people with the mower in the trunk of the car.

Groomer
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
welcome to the rust belt. An ever increasing horde of trucks and trailers, with an equally decreasing demand for quality by a shrinking public that has been hard hit economically. Not exactly the greatest recipe for lawncare 2011.

Mahoney3223
04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
welcome to the rust belt. An ever increasing horde of trucks and trailers, with an equally decreasing demand for quality by a shrinking public that has been hard hit economically. Not exactly the greatest recipe for lawncare 2011.

amen ....................now we have mechanics at our dealers moonlighting mowing lawns on the side around me. i've officially seen it all

Clark Griswold
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I was just browsing through our local paper and saw advertising for 31 NEW "lawncare" businesses bringing the total advertising to 89. I posted last year on this as for the $18.95 mowing but there are guys now putting under 10K sq ft for 10 dollars.. Showing fully insured. The smart thing to do is pick this fella and sub my lawns out if I knew they were any good... Thats a good business move :cool2:

Just getting absolutely ridiculous.. Dont even need a truck anymore just a car with a trunk...

How do you know the exact amout of LCO's in your area? It's impossible to know!

I bet there's actually more than that!

CustomCreations
04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Your correct, there are probably more but that is just advertised LCO's. I am a GC as well and usually have at least 5 or so a week stop by our properties to see whos laying the sod or maintaining the lawns.

I have all my trucks lettered so evidently they cant read:hammerhead:

ajslands
04-21-2011, 02:44 PM

are you scared?
Do you need someone to hold your hand?
Are you afraid of a little compettion?
Posted via Mobile Device

CustomCreations
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
are you scared?
Do you need someone to hold your hand?
Are you afraid of a little compettion?
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely not! :)

Just funny to see all the advertising around. I have my accounts set up, but I do have good friends that arent as established that this could impact. I stated I am a GC as well so lawncare isnt my only business. I realize the economy isnt the greatest and unemployment has spiked so I DO NOT get upset to see people trying to feed their families. Just if they could keep it in the same price range. Tough for 3 grown men with families, insurance, healthcare, mortgage, etc to compete with someone that has none of that.

I wish well for everyone but thats alot of people. You always see the true ones in July when its 90's and no wind.

rain man
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
From a cold start it would be a challange to feed your family in this business...

Hoardes of new competitors each year
Most pricing too low because of inexperience or desperation
Many of the better customers and better providers locked in for years
Expensive equipment
Expensive gas
Expensive repairs
Easy to get dead-beat or PITA customers
Bla bla bla

bc3xx0
04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
You have to admit, mowing grass is not a skilled trade. Every year I have been buying equipment in the mid summer from guys that hang it up cheap..... Tinker with it all winter long making repairs and cleaning it up, then sell it in the spring to guys wanting their piece of the "lawn care" pie!!

I won't compete with them in prices, but now I supply them with equipment!! I adapted!!

To the customer, you're just mowing grass. To the average residential customer, it don't matter if you cut it with a 200 dollar used JCPenny Grass king mower, or a 10k dollar zero turn....... Of course they will go with the lower price.

If you want to get ahead in the lawnmowing game, you have to find a niche and break in to the higher end residentials or break in to the commercial properties.............

The little guy in the middle class neighborhoods is gonna get hit with lowballers, but then again........ anybody you beat on price is gonna call you a lowballer.

In short, the middle class homeowner is the lowballer. They want it cheap.

Clark Griswold
04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
To the customer, you're just mowing grass. To the average residential customer, it don't matter if you cut it with a 200 dollar used JCPenny Grass king mower, or a 10k dollar zero turn....... Of course they will go with the lower price

One of the best quotes said on this forum in a long time & I couldn't agree more!

jsslawncare
04-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Same 'ol some 'ol, they will all be gone in about June when it's too hot, gas is too high and they have no customers. Can't buy word of month advertising.