PDA

View Full Version : strange call

Agape
04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
So I get a call yesterday while driving and a guy with a heavy latino accent says. " hi I've got 5 trees on my property I need an estimate to take them down". I said no problem, can I call you back in a bit at this #? (I was in heavy traffic and hed rented equipment I was trying to get back before the next rental bracket etc...) he almost iterrupted me and raised his voice saying " If you don't help me now, I'll just get someone else!!). I said "Fine get someone else, I'm in the middle of traffic and I can't take down your info this second....ok buh-bye!" and hung up.

Now truthfully I'd have pulled over and taken the info, but in my 14 years in the industry I know to be fact that........
" latino's only hire other latinos. They don't call white boys to do cheeto, so no, I didn't give it my top priority. I was going to call back in an hour or so when I was done. also he was rushing through his speech like he was really nervous.

He called back immediately and said "remember my name...Dick Brown (Me-lol) call me later please I want an estimate"

I said "ok" but I have no intention of calling this psycho, who went half nuts when I asked to call him back- God help me if I leave a bit of tree root.

EvenCutLawnCare
04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Yea good call on that one. Let someone else deal with him.

SkinnyVinny
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
man thats rediculous.. same kind of thing happened to me yesterday. I gave someone an estimate on Tuesday, told me "ok you got it". Told him sounds good Ill be there Friday and if anything happens (rain, etc.) it will be done on Monday. So I left and put him on the list and I get an e-mail yesterday morning from him asking when I will be there..... I said "like I told you, Friday if not then Monday." it took me a few hours to respond to him as I was working and only had my cell phone to send e-mails. I also apologized for the slow response, explained that previous customers have priority over him, etc.. As I send that e-mail out, I get another one from him saying "sorry to waste your time but I am going with another service. Your inability to answer e-mails promptly has left a our taste in my mouth and shows your lack of reliability. please take me off your list as a customer." ????? I said "Im sorry you feel that way, your off the list and good luck finding another service.". Strange people...

BestImpressions99
04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Man, this thread has really shown where people are in this society (human kind in general, not a jab at Americans). Everybody still wants everything NOW NOW NOW. They don't want to wait.

Reminds me of a commercial for a furniture company here in town. Pops up the name of the company and the background music is: I want it all, I want it all, I want it all and I want it now. Completely disgusting. That's how we got into this mess in the first place with the economy because people didn't care how they got what they wanted or really even at what price (financially or emotionally). They just have to have it now or no go.

Customers like that I say good ridence. Actually reminds me of a guy I work with. He's so OCD. Anyway, he wants me to cut his lawn. I put out there to try to drive him away that how far away he lives I'd have to charge him almost $60 in travel charge. (I live almost an hour away from work... 45 minutes from my lawncare job to work). He backed off. There are just some people it's not worth messing with (he's the type that if I had a stragler because of the thickness of the lawn he wouldn't just point it out and ask me to take care of it, he'd go crazy).

MOHUSTLER
04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Yep thus the age of over spending and debt. But everyone needs to have 2 $40,000 cars in the driveway right? :hammerhead:

NJT
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
man thats rediculous.. same kind of thing happened to me yesterday. I gave someone an estimate on Tuesday, told me "ok you got it". Told him sounds good Ill be there Friday and if anything happens (rain, etc.) it will be done on Monday. So I left and put him on the list and I get an e-mail yesterday morning from him asking when I will be there..... I said "like I told you, Friday if not then Monday." it took me a few hours to respond to him as I was working and only had my cell phone to send e-mails. I also apologized for the slow response, explained that previous customers have priority over him, etc.. As I send that e-mail out, I get another one from him saying "sorry to waste your time but I am going with another service. Your inability to answer e-mails promptly has left a our taste in my mouth and shows your lack of reliability. please take me off your list as a customer." ????? I said "Im sorry you feel that way, your off the list and good luck finding another service.". Strange people...

I would've called this clown immediately and gave him an earful. Answer emails promptly? WTF? People like this deserve to have their asses chewed.

grincon
04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
So I get a call yesterday while driving and a guy with a heavy latino accent says. " hi I've got 5 trees on my property I need an estimate to take them down". I said no problem, can I call you back in a bit at this #? (I was in heavy traffic and hed rented equipment I was trying to get back before the next rental bracket etc...) he almost iterrupted me and raised his voice saying " If you don't help me now, I'll just get someone else!!). I said "Fine get someone else, I'm in the middle of traffic and I can't take down your info this second....ok buh-bye!" and hung up.

Now truthfully I'd have pulled over and taken the info, but in my 14 years in the industry I know to be fact that........
" latino's only hire other latinos. They don't call white boys to do cheeto, so no, I didn't give it my top priority. I was going to call back in an hour or so when I was done. also he was rushing through his speech like he was really nervous.

He called back immediately and said "remember my name...Dick Brown (Me-lol) call me later please I want an estimate"

I said "ok" but I have no intention of calling this psycho, who went half nuts when I asked to call him back- God help me if I leave a bit of tree root.

Yeah, us "latinos" only hire other latinos anly shop at latino stores only eat at muchas gracias and only buy products made by other latinos.
Posted via Mobile Device

lazyike
04-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, us "latinos" only hire other latinos anly shop at latino stores only eat at muchas gracias and only buy products made by other latinos.
Posted via Mobile Device

That what he said......

chesterlawn
04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I just did a good size clean up, pruning, planting and mulching job at a Latinos house. You could not ask for a better or nicer customer.

SkinnyVinny
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I would've called this clown immediately and gave him an earful. Answer emails promptly? WTF? People like this deserve to have their asses chewed.

I know right? cant pick up the phone and call me? It wouldnt even be worth the time... kinda glad it worked out this way because it was obviously going to be a pita customer regardless of what I did

Southern Pride
04-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I'll add my recent PITA.
My uncle is a member at the local "rich guy" racquetball club. He's great with giving referrals for my biz so this rich guy calls me (makes uniforms for a living, including all of ours at the Memphis Fire Dept) He originally wanted a quote on some heavy irrigation work. Let me add this is the type of guy where we mainly communicate through e-mail. Anyway it was going to be about 2 grand for the irrigation work. He wrote me saying "glad I was sitting down I didn't want to get near half that high!" blah blah he just wanted me to throw some rocks down which would have done nothing. Come to find out the SOB got some other company to do it for MORE than what I quoted him???

I do all of his leafwork monthly (rural area mansion with alot of land and a tennis court) so then he gets me to give a quote for pressure washing the tennis court and a leaf job. Fine. It's ab 100 yards from his house to the tennis court but he has a full on bathroom, waterfountain with a water source right there by the tennis court. SO we get out there and his water at the bathroom by the tennis court isn't turned on, and his water spout at the house is too long of a distance to run water hose to keep pressure in the pressure washer so we can't do it. Gotta wait till he gets the freaking water turned on out there. SO I say call me when you get the water turned on and we'll get you setup. I hear from him on a wednesday couple weeks back. He says "water's turned on when will I see you?" So i tell him I have 30 lawns to get done before the weekend, and so it will have to be monday. He goes OFF, trying to make it sound like MY FAULT why we could not get the job done the FIRST time we came out. How do you call someone on a wednesday and automatically assume they don't have anything else going on than getting all of your stuff done before the weekend? I've learned that these rich guys have had alot of things handed to them and get it their way 99% of the time, so when they don't get their way, they throw one hell of a tantrum. He pays me on time and everything and I still take care of his yard but man after that conversation I wanted to tell him to find someone else to talk down to.

KINGMADE
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Latino man calls me from an advertisement. Says is the quote good. I say the quote is for weekly and if he needed bi weekly it would go up 5 bucks. He said he has someone doing it bi-weekly for that price already. I say fine I will do it at the regular weekly price... we set up a date that is 2 weeks out. I pull up on that date. Lawn is freshly cut. I call him, and he tells me he does not need my service. So of course he used me to get his current service down. Which I understand but how bout a phone call CANCELLING so I dont waste any more of my time on you.

jsslawncare
04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Here in Gainesville,Ga they want us to hire them but, they want hire us.

Agape
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Not all the time obviously, but the trend IS to keep it in the group.

Agape
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I just did a good size clean up, pruning, planting and mulching job at a Latinos house. You could not ask for a better or nicer customer.

You must've bid reeeeal low to beat out all the latinos lol JK

RLS24
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Its not just the latinos, its all the ethnic groups. Which is fine, if I were living somewhere else I'd subconsciously be more likely to hire another American to do work for me, as would you I'm sure.

But people these days are getting out of hand. I understand that having a blackberry, droid, iPhone or whatever is the new standard for business owners to have that kind of access. I'll admit of being guilty of being "on the phone" while I'm at jobs sometimes not even dealing with business related things, but to that person I would say "well sir how would you like it if I took time away from working on YOUR house to answer my phone or check my email every 5 minutes?"

Get Some...
04-21-2011, 10:41 PM

X2.
People are people, stereotyping is BS and offensive to some member's of this site.
I am Polish, bring it on.........:laugh:

LGL
04-21-2011, 10:43 PM
This thread is cracking me up!:laugh:

topsites
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
A lesson that took me years and more than a few headaches and frustration to learn is that with customers it doesn't work this way...
And I have watched in hindsight businesses way bigger than yours or mine fail because they never saw the error.

What happens is this...
We can not (unfortunately) pick our good customers from the bad and decide we are only going to service those accounts
we like the most while basically giving the rest the cold shoulder as that will one day, eventually, backfire in a very bad way.
Well, at least somewhat unfortunately lol

Because those chotos locos, those pitas and all the rest of those folks who, in not so many words,
we would rather not do business with?
Those folks are exactly the ones who end up badmouthing us to the "good" folks!
Yes, doesn't it suck, the worst of the bad are the ones talking to their friends who just so happen to be your number 1 customer!
No way you say, but watch out because the chances are so good that one day you fire the wrong one
and before you know it, granted it can take years, but before you know it you have no customers at all!

Take it from someone who has been there, or find out yourself, that choice is yours.

Because it has been my experience that customers come in all sizes, shapes, and flavors.
And I take them all, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Because when it comes to customers, it is a package deal.
Take them all, then make the best of it.

BestImpressions99
04-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah Kingmade you're right. People just are rude and don't care about common courtesy.

Km81
04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
You all seem to forget that we are in the service industry. If it werent for the customers, we would be unemployed. If you dont like it, you should probably find another line of work.

underPSI
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
My guess is he's trying to either get into the tree business or expand his current LC business and didn't know how to bid on tree removal.

SkinnyVinny
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
You all seem to forget that we are in the service industry. If it werent for the customers, we would be unemployed. If you dont like it, you should probably find another line of work.

If thats your attitude, you must let people walk all over you.. Theres a fine line between being in the "service industry" and getting walked on by people who are just out to take advantage of you and your services. You can't please everyone in the industry..

rywnygc
04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
X2.

A guy walks into a store and asks where the polish sausage is. The employee asks " are you Polish sir?"

The man replies, "yes I am as a matter of fact, but thats very insulting. If I had asked where the Italian sausage was, would you have asked me if I was Italian? If I asked where the bratwurst was, would you ask me if I was German?"

The employee replied, "well no sir, I guess not."

The man then asked, "well then why would you ask if I was Polish?"

The employee replied simply.....

Because you're in Home Depot sir.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Everybody still wants everything NOW NOW NOW. They don't want to wait.

I got a call yeserday after I had already finished for the day by store manager to a local grocery store one of my buddys work at. He recommended me.

Guy said he needed his grass cut before easter and its pretty bad. I'm already done for the week because of easter and good friday. I tell him I can come give him an estimate now but won't be able to get to him untill first thing monday. He says never mind i'll find someone else to do it.

I just think its funny that people wait untill the last minute to do stuff. Like they dont know easter is comming.

Get Some...
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
A guy walks into a store and asks where the polish sausage is. The employee asks " are you Polish sir?"

The man replies, "yes I am as a matter of fact, but thats very insulting. If I had asked where the Italian sausage was, would you have asked me if I was Italian? If I asked where the bratwurst was, would you ask me if I was German?"

The employee replied, "well no sir, I guess not."

The man then asked, "well then why would you ask if I was Polish?"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How many polack's needed to change a lightbulb??????

Agape
04-23-2011, 02:03 AM
X2.
People are people, stereotyping is BS and offensive to some member's of this site.

I am...... unfamiliar with the practices of the polish peoples:laugh:

elitelawnteam1
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM

At my home depot, they have a food stand right before you exit the door, and yes, they have polish sausages and they are GOOOD.

ALC-GregH
04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
If thats your attitude, you must let people walk all over you.. Theres a fine line between being in the "service industry" and getting walked on by people who are just out to take advantage of you and your services. You can't please everyone in the industry..

I NEVER EVER believed that "the customer is always right" crap. There's a right way and a wrong way to do most anything. If they want it done the wrong way, well then, they're wrong and I'll tell then that. I'm not going to let any potential customer tell me to do a job the wrong way. Either they want it done right and have me do it or they can find someone else to do it wrong. Not sure if that makes any sense or not.

Agape
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I got a call yeserday after I had already finished for the day by store manager to a local grocery store one of my buddys work at. He recommended me.

Guy said he needed his grass cut before easter and its pretty bad. I'm already done for the week because of easter and good friday. I tell him I can come give him an estimate now but won't be able to get to him untill first thing monday. He says never mind i'll find someone else to do it.

I just think its funny that people wait untill the last minute to do stuff. Like they dont know easter is comming.

you would stop what you're doing and drive across the city for this guy, but I'm reasonably doing well with enough calls/customers to let this one "slip through the cracks" it costs me time and it costs me money in fuel to kiss this guy's butt. I WON'T DO IT! I CAN'T GO THE REST OF MY DAY WITH MY BREATH SMELLING LIKE THIS GUYS BUTTOCKS!

bc3xx0
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Do you have the number on your truck? They might have been the competition or some jokesters in the next lane just f'n with you.....

ALC-GregH
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM

I would have JUMPED ALL over it. Now your friend looks like an azz because you shot the guy down when he needed your services. You could have easily charge triple for the first cut if it was long maybe more. So what if they know it's Easter weekend and waited until the last minute? You could have made a big chunk of change on their behalf. I know I'm in this to make money and wouldn't turn it down if it was Christmas! To each there own.

rywnygc
04-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I would have JUMPED ALL over it. Now your friend looks like an azz because you shot the guy down when he needed your services. You could have easily charge triple for the first cut if it was long maybe more. So what if they know it's Easter weekend and waited until the last minute? You could have made a big chunk of change on their behalf. I know I'm in this to make money and wouldn't turn it down if it was Christmas! To each there own.

Yep, I would have milked that goat.

Patriot Services
04-23-2011, 06:35 PM
My guess is he's trying to either get into the tree business or expand his current LC business and didn't know how to bid on tree removal.

This is how I feel about most callers demanding a phone quote.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
04-23-2011, 06:41 PM

I used to think like this too. Unfortunately most STAT cuts were more like half day clean ups that they wanted to pay one time mowing prices for. Friday is already a tight schedule with my loyal, profitable customers. One timers usually don't lead to more work or regular gigs.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
04-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Whats worse if if you get there and its already done by someone else. I get calls for quotes and if I don't get a quote to them within hours, someone else already has it done. Oh well... I keep all names of people who ask for quotes. If they call multiple times, or do what I described above, they don't get quoted....I can't waste time with that kind of thing.

SkinnyVinny
04-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Whats worse if if you get there and its already done by someone else. I get calls for quotes and if I don't get a quote to them within hours, someone else already has it done. Oh well... I keep all names of people who ask for quotes. If they call multiple times, or do what I described above, they don't get quoted....I can't waste time with that kind of thing.

I have never had that happen to me thankfully but I can't imagine how much free time a company would have to get a new customer done instantly like that.. I like to keep my current and repeat customers happy.. I really don't go through hoops for people i give estimates to and they want it done immediately unless I really want the thorn in the side... Customers like that right out of the gate are always trouble and not worth the time.. You can instead spend the time keeping your good, paying customers happy like I said.

This year has been really bad attitude wise. I dont know if its the economy or what but I have gotten some obscene complaints. Customers ask for a de-thatch only and call me when I am done and ask my why none of the beds are blown out...? I do a cleanup up and the next day I get a call saying "there are a few leafs in between my chain link fence and my neighbors bordering fence, can you come by and take care of it? I go and there is literally 3 leafs stuck between this fence (mind you we have had above 40mph winds for the past few days).. People are getting very ungrateful and its only going to get worse... I leave properties spotless and I am just baffled when I get the calls of complaints..

Yarden Of Eden
04-23-2011, 10:05 PM

I have done work for one latino gentleman and his wife, they always paid in cash, mor cash than I billed them for, always offered me a delicious Modelo when I was done working. Very polite, very friendly. Wish I could have a boatload of accounts like that.

TuffWork
04-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I have done work for one latino gentleman and his wife, they always paid in cash, mor cash than I billed them for, always offered me a delicious Modelo when I was done working. Very polite, very friendly. Wish I could have a boatload of accounts like that.

I've had a customer that was like that. They were also latino. Saved them til the end of the day so I could feel guilt free about enjoying a beer. :)

topsites
04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
What, Easter, what's that, is that one of those real world holidays or something?
But yes, Friday did turn out good for me, odd that they'd name a day in advance, how they would know this.

I've had a customer that was like that. They were also latino. Saved them til the end of the day so I could feel guilt free about enjoying a beer. :)

Ah no, I don't drink, stuff's no good, it clouds my judgment. :nono:

EvandSeby
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
I had an elderly hispanic man as a client for quite a few years. His family would always seem to drop by when I was there, I think he liked to show off his white gardener, we always had a chuckle over this. He was one of the best clients I have ever had, sadly he passed a few years back. You just never know. In my experience however, the worst clients are Indians (and I don't mean Native Americans) and recent immigrants from Europe. Not painting a broad picture, its just what I have dealt with personally. It seems that the type of work we do is held in very low regard in their countries.

BestImpressions99
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Hiya ALC-Greg... question for you based on your response that you "won't do someones lawn if they want it done wrong". If I passed up customer because they wanted the grass cut at 4" or 2.5" instead of the nominal 3" for us... I'd be out of business.

The question is, how far does the adage of "the customer is always right go"? Also what is a "wrong" way to cut a lawn? If I bid a job at 3" every 10 days and the potential client wants the lawn cut at 4" every 14 days I will nicely let them know what it will look like and what may suffer because of that and if that is still the consensus to cut @ 4" every 14 days... so be it. I will remind them every few months if it's a problem, but your comment has me somewhat confused Greg.

Walking all over someone is NOT getting what you pay for. Are there ultra critical people out there? YEAH... but that's when you have to decide is the aggravation worth you having an account or not.

I have a contracted account that is ultra critical and they called and told me I missed a spot weed eating. I didn't recall doing such and defended myself nicely but she was adamant that I missed something. So I went back out the next day and weed-eated (or is it weed ate) the whole property again. Was I being pushed around and walked on? No. Was I kissing up to the customer because I'm so worried? Not a bit. It's called customer satisfaction. Like guys on here talk about all the time with the dealers/mfg's of the mowers we use.