PDA

View Full Version : Pond Light Suggestions

emby
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello everybody,

Here is the scenario: Two ponds one upper and one lower. The size of the upper pond is 30 feet in length by 15 feet in width with a depth of 4 feet. The lower pond is just a bit smaller but the same depth in the middle. Keep in mind that the landscaper has installed stepped down shelves around the perimeter which eventually lead to the four foot depth.
I have installed four underwater fixtures made of brass with 35 watt 36 degree Ushio Lamps in each. I have positioned them around the perimeter aiming down and toward the middle so that the client can observe the fish at night. (requested by them)
Even with the 140 watts of light they would like more illumination. My thoughts were to migrate over to line voltage with something more robust with a higher wattage such as a 75 watt Metal Halide fixture.
I am asking all you professionals out there if you would not mind throwing some suggestions my way, such as a manufacturer and design ideas on how to WOW the client. Many thanks all and I look forward to your ideas.

Ken

Illumicare
04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Posted to wrong thread.

Tomwilllight
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi Ken,

As far as I know, fish don't have eyelids (with the possible exception of Sharks). Please remind your client that his fish need to sleep and light at night will stress them. And that will do them no good.

I was told by a high end aquarium guy to make sure there are places in a lighted pond for the fish to hide from the light. At the same time I've was warned about introducing any copper into a pond. This means brass fixtures too. Because, if the water is at all acidic, it may create copper sulfate and that WILL KILL fish.

As for your client having trouble seeing the fish, I think you may have a problem with the client's eyes dark adaption. Be sure there is no "brightness" or glare that will disturb their night vision in or out of the pond. If they are approaching the pond from a lighted area, they will require to wait a few moments before they will be able to see into the lighted pond. If they are elderly, they will require far more than a few moments to dark adapt.

I suggest you try to avoid going to submersible MH. Line-voltage fixtures in a pond seem a bad idea to me. You have used a Pool and Spa Transformer to power the LV underwater fixtures?

Tom