PDA

View Full Version : A Yard of Mulch

141 woodmann
04-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Back in the day, when these garden centers filled my truck, two yards of mulch would just about fill the back of my F-150. Now I can ask for three yards and it's still not filled. Anyone see this trend?

grassman88
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
nope i can ask for 1 yard and it will fill my chevy 2500 maybe it helps to be freinds with the loader operator hahaha but i still dont see 3 yards in an f150 without high sides on it IMHO your getting ripped off

knox gsl
04-21-2011, 04:06 PM
At my supplier a yard and half and I'm sitting on the axle.

Dr.NewEarth
04-21-2011, 10:26 PM
At my supplier a yard and half and I'm sitting on the axle.

Same here. In fact I have trouble after only a metric yard.
It depends on the weather.

You need to know, I only puchase small loads and only use a trailer now.
Any-thing over a yard and I have it delivered, or if it's mulch it's blown in.

I went in one time for a half yard of soil and the scoop came off the tractor.
It landed tines down in my new f-150's box and caused
three thousand dollars damage!!!

My wholesaler paid for the damage, but what a shocker to watch it happen

dKoester
04-22-2011, 12:09 AM
You need to call out people not giving you what you paid for. Tell them to stop getting over on you.

johnyredd99
04-22-2011, 12:57 AM
find that 2 yards really has to be packed down in order to fit in an 8 ft bed w/ a toolbox. If your say 3 would fit in yours I would pull around front and get your money back

KINGMADE
04-22-2011, 01:23 AM
no way you are getting 3 into your truck. I can't get 3 in my 5 X 10. If I did I would lose a 3rd of it on the way to the job site. Measure your bed and do the math on how much it should take to fill it up.

Dr.NewEarth
04-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Some-one on here said the other day, he found out from the tractor operator at his suppliers yard that the scoop was only 2/3 of a yard.
He said they just knocked off a bit if he wanted a half yard.

There should be a weights and measurements law like they have for gas pumps and
companies that manufacture tape measures.

KINGMADE
04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Some-one on here said the other day, he found out from the tractor operator at his suppliers yard that the scoop was only 2/3 of a yard.
He said they just knocked off a bit if he wanted a half yard.

There should be a weights and measurements law like they have for gas pumps and
companies that manufacture tape measures.

That would just make it more expensive. The system is fine now. We should all know what a yard of mulch looks like(or there abouts), and I hope we all know that 3 yards are not going into the beds of our trucks.

I got a local supplier to match his bagged mulch to my bulk mulch prices. When we loaded up a yard of bagged mulch I thought I was getting screwed till we emptied the bags. I guess it is more compact in the bag because the yard was plenty.

soloscaperman
04-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Pond Springs in CT is very honest. I know the old folks and if you have a huge job they give you a good discount. My truck holds about 2 yards and that's if I jump on the bed and compact it down. Also tipping the guy that drops the Mulch tends to over load his tractor for you. Either a bottle of water or a $2 tip. You may not think that is enough but if 20 guys do it every day he is making $40 in tips daily!

141 woodmann
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to get two yards in an empty truck today and post the pic. (if I can figure out how to do that). I've been dealing with this guy for a long time (nice mulch, and centally located) and it just seemed like in the past couple of years the buckets have grown smaller.

Thanks again

soloscaperman
04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Where do you go to get mulch in CT? I always watch when they load the mulch. I mean it's not like the buckets get smaller on the tractor but maybe they are putting some kind of filler at the bottom of the bucket that you can't see?? Look inside!?!

rowdiestang
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
most tractor buckets are not a yard...They are about .6 yards. Make sure that their bucket is a full yard

141 woodmann
04-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys. I never leave my truck when someone is loading anything. I have in the past and just yesterday asked, "That bucket you guys use is a full yard, right." Response "Yes." Couldn't get my pic of two yards on here but it was just under the bed of the truck and free space the last foot or so near the tailgate.

cutbetterthanyou
04-23-2011, 09:50 AM
We have the same thing happening here too one guy has a little compact tractor that sells a bucket full as a yard. Another guy gets around it by selling it as a "scoop" not a yard. The next closest guy is 30mins away he loads a actual yard with a backhoe or mini wheel loader. I've gotten to the point i don't deal with any of them. In the spring i get bulk delivered to my shop by the people that make it, and load myself that way i know what i got. Plus i get it for 22.50 a yard the others are 32,35,and 26(but 30mins each way) i don't use dyed but i heard this year it was 45 and 48 a yard thats just crazy.

Most backhoe buckets are a yard. You can most of the time get a yard with a skid steer but it has to be heaping over and spilling out. With my 26 hp compact tractor it takes 3-4 buckets full to get a yard depending on weather i shake it off flat or load it heaping. Hope that can give you a idea of what you should be getting.

Darryl G
04-23-2011, 10:11 AM
The places around here use a 1 yard bucket on their loaders, at least the 2 places that I deal with. If you do a good bit of business with them they heap as much as they can in it. But it depends who is doing the loading too. I find that the owner actually tends to be more generous than the employees. But of course they all fluff it first before loading, lol.

soloscaperman
04-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Pond springs in CT has a special bucket just for Mulch and it holds a little more then a 1/2 of mulch. I pay $32 a yard but any large jobs they minus a few bucks off each yard. But still it's fast and easier then bags. I try to surround my work near my house and the Nursery to save gas and time. Some nurseries have old mulch sitting through the winter and you gotta wait till late spring early Summer for fresher much that will last you another 6-12 months of color. I am usually in and out within 5-10 min the Mexican see's my truck then gets ready while I am paying inside.

tailboardtech
04-23-2011, 01:50 PM
next time just walk up to the back of the loader bucket before you get loaded it should have the cubic capacity stamped on the back of it some will also give you the heaped capacity

wiselandscaping
04-27-2011, 02:01 AM
27 cubic feet. If you aren't getting enough mulch in "one yard" to fill up 27 cubic feet, show the yard foreman and the owner of the yard. Then proceed to dump the mulch and get a refund. Take your business somewhere else. There are plenty of honest mulch suppliers out there, you just have to find them.

If you can, buy in bulk. Mulch yards like the money that comes with 80 yards up front, and they might help you out with scoop size.

KINGMADE
04-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Pond springs in CT has a special bucket just for Mulch and it holds a little more then a 1/2 of mulch. I pay $32 a yard but any large jobs they minus a few bucks off each yard. But still it's fast and easier then bags. I try to surround my work near my house and the Nursery to save gas and time. Some nurseries have old mulch sitting through the winter and you gotta wait till late spring early Summer for fresher much that will last you another 6-12 months of color. I am usually in and out within 5-10 min the Mexican see's my truck then gets ready while I am paying inside.

Really? I like bagged more than bulk. No shoveling, just rip open and dump. No mess under the trailer either.

grincon
04-27-2011, 02:33 AM
The place I go to know me really good and I think they are just trying to be nice but, I ask for 2 yards or 1 unit and I get the same thing, A truck full. Theres one supplier her that actually weighs it on the bucket, I dont know if thats accurate since the humidity and rain factor in.

straightlineland
05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
the best i could ever get in my dodge 2500 w/8' bed and board sides on the back was 4 yds and that was to the roof. If they are telling you that you got 3 yds. in a regular pick-up you are getting ripped.

soloscaperman
05-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Really? I like bagged more than bulk. No shoveling, just rip open and dump. No mess under the trailer either.

When your doing more then 1/2 yard mulch, bags just suck. My fingers and wrist start to ache and ripping bags suck. They get very messy then you gotta make sure the bags don't blow away and they add up . Disposing them sucks as well.

The worse thing about bag mulch is there so compacted down that when you lay the mulch down it looks very uneven and you gotta break it up. Sorry it's just too slow and doesn't look as good as the mulch I get. Like I said in 5 min I'm in and out at my nursery.

Darryl G
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
When your doing more then 1/2 yard mulch, bags just suck. My fingers and wrist start to ache and ripping bags suck. They get very messy then you gotta make sure the bags don't blow away and they add up . Disposing them sucks as well.

The worse thing about bag mulch is there so compacted down that when you lay the mulch down it looks very uneven and you gotta break it up. Sorry it's just too slow and doesn't look as good as the mulch I get. Like I said in 5 min I'm in and out at my nursery.

I agree with most of what you said about bagged mulch, especially the compacted part. But for gods sake, get a utility blade to open them! All I do is cut an X in them and then roll them over and pick them up and the mulch is out.

To me bags are good for small jobs or for jobs where you can't get a wheelbarrow (although I sometimes carry bulk mulch in trash barrels) or for speicalty mulches. Otherwise I also prefer bulk.

soloscaperman
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with most of what you said about bagged mulch, especially the compacted part. But for gods sake, get a utility blade to open them! All I do is cut an X in them and then roll them over and pick them up and the mulch is out.

To me bags are good for small jobs or for jobs where you can't get a wheelbarrow (although I sometimes carry bulk mulch in trash barrels) or for speicalty mulches. Otherwise I also prefer bulk.

I do use a blade but when I flipped them over to open them I just notice that it kills your wrist and fingers after a certain amount of bags.