PDA

View Full Version : 1300 sq. ft patio with 1 foot of stone dust already down

tslandscaping
04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
I was asked to submit a proposal to remove 1300 sq.ft. of bluestone from around a pool and replace it with pavers. It is beautiful bluestone ranging from 3'x3' to 1'x1'. The homeowners don't like it, however, because the corners are sharp and a few of the stones have cracked. Anyway, they want the bluestone removed and a completely new patio installed.

I dug down with a shovel and the bluestone was sitting on 12" of stone dust and there has been very little settlement over the past 12 years. The customer isn't too excited about ripping everything out and doing an entirely new base (not because of money but because of the mess). Should I go down a full foot with crushed stone and geo or can I get away with 6"?

http://i.imgur.com/ictaFl.jpg

4Russl5
04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
I would rip it all out and put in a foundation the client can count on, and you can warranty without losing sleep.

PatriotLandscape
04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Excavate for 6" base then put geotextile then proceed as normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bru75
04-22-2011, 06:30 PM
What's under the dust?
I would take it all out, just to be on the safe side.

GreenLight
04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
I would thoroughly evaluate your numbers on something like this. It's not that I disagree with what people are saying about scrapping all existing building materials, but at the same time, before the first paver is ever laid you have an immense amount of work to do.

If your numbers are true (1300 square feet @ 1 foot of stone dust) and you were to follow up with removing all the stone dust, you are talking about collectively removing almost 50 cubic yards of material alone. That's about 6 standard dump truck loads of material to remove and dispose of. Then the process flips and you now have 48-50 cubic yards of material to go back in. Couple that with the fact that it's around a pool and the variables really pile up. More than likely you can't use a bobcat for removal. Maybe a small mini skid removes and dumps to a safe location very close to the work area, then a bobcat takes over from there. Still sounds like a hell of a lot of work and money to be accounted for before any pavers are laid. Not a bad thing at all, but I would certainly leave a lot of wiggle and expense room on the excavation and prep work.

PatriotLandscape
04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
The main problem here is that the customer has not really bought into the idea of the change

Someone else will say that it's fine and lay right over it.

If you need the job then excavate put 4" of process. Then geo then paver. Convince the customer that the investment into the change is worth the small additional cost of excavation.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
stone dust is NOT the end of the world.

15 yrs ago we started installing these paver patio things. FOr the 1st 2 years our bases consisted of stone dust, because I didn't know better. And........all our jobs are still fully in tact. But.......they also have fabric under the dust!

If your patio is structurally still in good shape, then do as Patriot is recommending. Do a good job and collect your check :)

If there are sunken areas - then you may wanna start over completely.