PDA

View Full Version : Buying a RedMax Trimmer Soon...

Thunderhead
04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok, I was gonna get either an Echo or RedMax, but have decided on RedMax because of local dealer support.

But before I go any farther I must say that my Echo SRM-210 has been bulletproof since the day I bought it on 4/23/2003. And it's still running as strong as it was that day.

I'm looking at the BCZ 2460 TS, BCZ 2660 TS, and the BCZ 2650 T.

My questions are:

What does the "T" and "S" mean on the different models?

What is the difference(s) between the 2660 TS and the 2650 T ?

The 2660 TS is only $10.00 LESS than the 2650 T... Why is this?

I'm leaning more towards the 2660 TS because it's only $40.00 more than the 2460 TS, and I think you're getting more power for not much more money (25.4cc/ 1.2hp vs. 23.6cc/1.14hp ).

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, Are there any problems with these models or is there any reason(s) that I should just completely avoid them altogether?

Thank You.

...I also have a RedMax HBZ 2601 handheld blower that I LOVE too. In 4 months, it'll be 2 years old...

Thunderhead
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Is there anybody on here who knows Anything about the RedMax trimmers??

goodgreen
04-21-2011, 10:22 PM
My area ExMark dealer started carrying RedMax equipment. I've always used Stihl and he told me the RedMax blowers and trimmers were more commercially heavy duty. Might be trying some out this year.

Big C
04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
How much power do you need?....if it is just trimming weekly and bi-weekly accts I would get the TR2350 from Redmax it is only 21cc but weighs a superlight 9lbs, I run 2 of them and love them.

MOHUSTLER
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok sorry thunderhead ive been backed up. here is the answer to your questions.

The TS is the straight shaft HIGH TORQUE It spins at a higher RPM then the standard T

Its made ( and they wont say this ) BUT its for the guys who take the guards off to keep power when you run string out further then the guard allows.

MOHUSTLER
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
P.S i also agree that the 2350 is a sweet trimmer we sell over 200 of them a year. I own one for myself as well. Been my favorite trimmer over everything for the past 6 years back when it was numbered as the 2301s.

Thunderhead
04-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Thank ya'll for the replies. I do appreciate it.

underPSI
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
My area ExMark dealer started carrying RedMax equipment. I've always used Stihl and he told me the RedMax blowers and trimmers were more commercially heavy duty. Might be trying some out this year.

Of course he told you that. He just started selling them which means he obviously makes more profit off each unit. I continue to buy Stihl for a reason. A fellow LCO who's also a friend uses Redmax and has recent bought a Husky and used to use Echo. He can't wait until it's time for replacement because he's going to Stihl.

Alan0354
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I read a lot about Redmax strato engine being very cold blooded, complains of hard to start and take forever to warmup. Do a search and read the comments. No body seems to complain about reliability though, just irritating.

hawaii
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Redmax runs a lot better than echo after start up, easy to start too. We run 2350t and 2650t. They have way more power than a comparable size echo and run forever, cant go wrong with Redmax, go for it.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey man good choice on Redmax.

I also have a srm210 & pb403t I bought in 2001. Both start first pull and are backups on the trailer.

I just wanted to say, promise yourself to try out the Redmax tr2350s before you buy anything. $250 at my local dealer. It's the only trimmer I will buy from here out. My guys fight over who gets to use it. Light as a feather and never have to take it near full throttle.

Thunderhead
04-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Hey man good choice on Redmax.

I also have a srm210 & pb403t I bought in 2001. Both start first pull and are backups on the trailer.

I just wanted to say, promise yourself to try out the Redmax tr2350s before you buy anything. $250 at my local dealer. It's the only trimmer I will buy from here out. My guys fight over who gets to use it. Light as a feather and never have to take it near full throttle.

Thanks and I promise that I'll look into that trimmer... Is it a commercial model and how does it do in the thick stuff? Will it accept the .095 Cable Twist trimmer line?

Merkava_4
04-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Ok sorry thunderhead ive been backed up. here is the answer to your questions.

The TS is the straight shaft HIGH TORQUE It spins at a higher RPM then the standard T

Its made ( and they wont say this ) BUT its for the guys who take the guards off to keep power when you run string out further then the guard allows.

So you're saying you want the high torque gear head (which spins slower per given engine rpm) for running a trimmer without the guard?

MOHUSTLER
04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
So you're saying you want the high torque gear head (which spins slower per given engine rpm) for running a trimmer without the guard?

Not quite shure of the question here but the TS has a higher rpm and the clutch engages at around 7000 rpm where the standard trimmer engages at around 5000 rpm. This eliminates constant clutch engagement when guys feather the trigger. When guys do that the clutch is constantly engageing in and out causing premature clutch wear. The TS is designed to engage at a higher rpm so that you get the rpms up when the clutch engages so that when your running string far out of the head your not taxing the clutch as hard.

I hope this answeres the questions.

Axxis
04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Well guys I'm not sure what all the differences on those letters are. I know that somenoe said somehting about running with the guards off and I know for a fact manufacturers are doing things like that for the commercial mowing industry. This trade has exploded in the past few years and things are changing. Now I done lawncare back when I first graduated for a couple years then got out of it. Last spring I started back into it with the largest company around. We have about 10 lawn trucks, 2 tree trucks and bout another 6-8 truck/trailer landscaping/mulch crews. Not to mention snow trucks and gehls and vaccuum trucks and lots of misc. stuff. Now I live in kentucky so this isn't the biggest operation but for around here we are head and shoulders above everyone else. Anyways. . . ..
I'm back into it harder than ever. My boss is letting me run my own crew this year so I'm tryin to work my way up. Last year when I came back I hadn't heard of redmax. Now we keep some 250 stihl for brush cutting but MAN i can't say enough bout redmax trimmers and blowers. They can be a little cold natured when starting and warming up but they have no other weakness. They have enough power to take on jungle work but they idle down perfectly for $20 yards. I edge/trim/brush banks and slay through thick ass hillside kentucky vine/weeds/saplings like nothing without a blade! I'm not saying they do anything a stihl does but they are much lighter and do just fine for everyday work. They don't wear you out, priced decent and they hold up in the long run. They are like a light-weight Shindaiwa that my old boss used to use. Anyone that's considering redmax go get at least ONE and try them out, you will NOT be dissatisfied.

Merkava_4
04-23-2011, 06:14 PM
The TS is designed to engage at a higher rpm so that you get the rpms up when the clutch engages so that when your running string far out of the head your not taxing the clutch as hard.

So the TS model is better for running without the guard and having a lot of line out?

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks and I promise that I'll look into that trimmer... Is it a commercial model and how does it do in the thick stuff? Will it accept the .095 Cable Twist trimmer line?

Yes it's commercial. Does just as good as my srm210 in thick and all I run is .095 string. I also got the new speed feed head for it ($30) and can re line it in less than 30 seconds. So, i've customized it a little to be the best trimmer I have ever run. Just promise yourself to use one for 10 minutes or so trimming or edging, then grab ANY other trimmer and you will see the difference.

-griffin

RTR Landscaping
04-23-2011, 07:34 PM
In this area RedMax and Stihl dominate the market. We used to run Stihl FS80's and loved them. Stihl discontinued them and we went to the RedMax BCZ2460T. I love this trimmer! I'm glad we made the switch.

Thunderhead
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Ok now that I've pretty much narrowed it down, What should I expect to pay for the BCZ 2460 TS, the BCZ 2660 TS, and possibly even the BCZ 2650 T ?