PDA

View Full Version : Stone Fire Pit

Pahl's Lawn & landscape
04-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a customer that is looking to have a stone fire pit put in. I am just wondering how you would go about somthing like this. I was just thinking getting a 3ft metal ring to start off as the shape. Then put fire brick on the outside of that to keep the heat off the stone then finally mortar in some type of realistic stone for the final. Is this a good way of doing it or does someone have a better idea or option. Also what do you recomend for material stone, brick, mortar, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DVS Hardscaper
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
most importantly make sure the pit is at least 20-feet away from any dwellings, building, or structures.

Do a search on my user name here for my Thread regarding fire feature liability.

Also, I havent had time to post, but had something happen recently where I'm even more deadset on this fire feature liability stuff.

2low4NH
04-26-2011, 10:27 PM
do you have any experience with brick and mortar? If not stay away from this project. Laying stone is more of an art then a trade. the joints need to be properly tooled to avoid cracking. the mud needs to be properly mixed. the brick need to be fire brick and you don't use mortar with them. the metal ring is not needed if built properly. I tear down a lot of work that others have screwed up most of it is stone work that failed after the first year or 2. If you are dead set on this look at fire brick,Refractory cement for the fire pit portion.

Pahl's Lawn & landscape
04-28-2011, 02:54 AM
do you have any experience with brick and mortar? If not stay away from this project. Laying stone is more of an art then a trade. the joints need to be properly tooled to avoid cracking. the mud needs to be properly mixed. the brick need to be fire brick and you don't use mortar with them. the metal ring is not needed if built properly. I tear down a lot of work that others have screwed up most of it is stone work that failed after the first year or 2. If you are dead set on this look at fire brick,Refractory cement for the fire pit portion.
Me personally I don't have much for a background in it. My dad has owned a concrete masonry business for over 30 years but never really deals with somthing that has to do with heat or fire. Him and I can definently do the project he is doing the pit and I am doing the patio and the rest. Im just looking for a little guidance on the best material to use for the pit and how you would go about pricing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated if I figure this one out pretty easily and make some money I can land a few more for us to do. So again if anyone has any help I would really appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

2low4NH
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I am a 4th generation mason we specialize in rumford style fireplaces. I do indoor and outdoor fireplaces all the time as well as firepits. brick block stone stucco you name it. on the low end of the spectrum $500 for a very generic brick pit. if I even touch stone you are looking at $1000. If I were you I would build a few for family and friends before you sell one to a customer.