PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Excavator Lawsuit

Dirtman2007
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
so here's a stange one for you. I received an email the other day after several of my extreme mud digging videos were watched by this person.

So here's what the email consisted of. I've **** out some of the names to keep them private, but I'd like your oppinions too. Personally I don't think they have a good case?

Hi Christopher, my name is Carl B***** and I am an attorney in Saluda, VA. I have a case involving a stuck excavator and I came across some of your videos on Utube. My paralegal, Heather, was able to contact you and I appreciate your willingness to help us. My client is John Luttrell (Luttrell), and the adverse party is Ransone’s Nursery and Maintenance (Ransone). Luttrell formerly worked for Ransone, and in the course of his employment operated one or more of the Case CX 160 excavators owned by Ransone.

Ransone is engaged in land clearing and marine contracting which as you know is hard on equipment. At some point, Luttrell left Ransone and started his own business. Luttrell wanted to dredge out a sandy creek bed to allow small boats to use a creek adjoining his land. Ransone was familiar with the proposed project and hoped to benefit from it by installing a dock and pier for an upstream land owner. Luttrell rented a 2002 Case CX 160 excavator from Ransone on February 24, 2008, to do the dredging work in the creek. The machine was delivered by Ransone to the job site, and Luttrell started work that afternoon.

In a short time, the excavator became mired in the sand just over the tracks. Luttrell was unable to free the machine because it did not have sufficient power to multitask with the boom and tracks at the same time. Luttrell immediately stopped the work and called Ransone’s foreman to the job site. The foreman looked at the stuck excavator and laughed saying: “what do you mean stuck, I will show you how to free the excavator.” As you can guess, the foreman could not free the excavator either. At this point, Luttrell turned the recovery operation over to Ransone and its employees.

The next day, the foreman arrived with another Case CX 160 excavator. He drove into the creek bed with no trouble and scooped out around the tracks of the stuck machine to reduce suction pressure. The foreman told Luttrell to start the stuck excavator and fully extend the boom. Then the foreman positioned his excavator facing Luttrell and grabbed the teeth of Luttrell’s bucked with the teeth of his bucket and began to lift and pull backward. This maneuver caused Luttrell’s excavator to tip back on the rear of the tracks at which time it broke through the sand bottom and sank in the creek causing water to be ingested into the engine. This of course effectively destroyed the machine. Two days later and with the help of three excavators, the sunken excavator was recovered. Luttrell paid the recovery bill of about $5,400 to Ransone.

Ransone filed a claim with his insurance company for the loss of the excavator which he said was worth $85,000. The insurance company paid $75,000 and has now sued Luttrell to recover the funds paid. It is Luttrell’s position that although the excavator became stuck on his watch, he turned the recovery effort over to Ransone who botched the recovery effort causing the excavator to sink and ingest water into the engine.

What do you think of the recovery effort by Ransone? What did they do wrong? How would you have approached the problem? Tell me about your knowledge and experience in dealing with stuck excavators or other track equipment.

I am authorized by Mr. Luttrell to compensate you for time spent in consulting on this case at the rate of $50 per hour. If you conclude as have I that Ransone botched the recovery effort, I would like to use you as an expert witness when the case goes to trial in which event we can discuss additional compensation for your time and expertise.

Thank you very much for your assistance. Please let me know if you need further information from me.

Carl

bobcat_ron
04-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Just ignore it dude, who cares, you know how many times I won a Nigerian lottery or some Joe Shmoe wants to send me money if I send him my personal info.

You will make more than just 50 bucks if you ignore it and get back to work. Like you are the only person in the entire world that can assist them in telling the parties involved that they are a bunch of f**k ups.

crab
04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Do it dude ,why not you can start a whole new venture

IES
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Give them an honest assessment of the situation obviously you have drawn attention and are already considered an expert. As the attorney I'm sure it's not easy to find an operator with documented skill
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowingman
04-21-2011, 08:53 PM
I would talk to them. Heck, if they want to use you, you can charge $100/hour, plus any and all expenses. If you have valuable knowledge that they think will help them, then get paid for it. It is a lot easier work than you are doing ever day right now.

ioilyouin
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Luttrell turned over the ex recovery Ransone. Luttrell was under the foreman's direction. His actions are not the cause for the CASE's demise.

Scag48
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
The employee paid the recovery fee? Man screw that sh!t, things happen. There should be no way possible that the insurance company can sue an employee after he acknowledged his mistake before damage was done and notified management. Anything from there on out, whether he was involved with the recovery or not, should be on the employer. That is the most ridiculous story I think I've ever read.

As for helping the attorney, if he's for real I don't see why you shouldn't.

Ozz
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Luttrell turned over the ex recovery Ransone. Luttrell was under the foreman's direction. His actions are not the cause for the CASE's demise.

Nope. It's Ransone's foreman's fault, as he was directing the recovery at the time. Ransome could say that they took over after a f**k up, and it's Luttrell's fault the machine was there in the first place, and go to the root cause; but it's still a pretty weak case.

Scag; it was not the employee of Ransone in the hoe when it got stuck. It was the independent contractor, Luttrell.

Scag48
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Scag; it was not the employee of Ransone in the hoe when it got stuck. It was the independent contractor, Luttrell.

Ah, I see that part now. I saw the employment part at the top but missed the part where it said he started his own venture. Either way, he turned over the recovery to Ransone, therefore it's their ass. That also explains him paying the recovery. However, their foreman caused the machine to take a dip, it's more or less his fault.

Ozz
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Ask to see the site. Do that before anything else. After that; then you can make your best estimate as to what to do. My take from the information given is:

Frankly, I would have tried to hook the hoe up to a dozer and winch from the undercarriage of the hoe. If the dozer was anchored correctly, the hoe couldn't have slid back; at least in principle. Then I would have dug around the hoe; and hooked again to the U/C and use both machines to pull it out. But that's assuming they had that equipment. I do; but Ransone may not have. If all they had was the other hoe; then they still could have pulled from a lower point, and attached the two machines better than "grabbing the teeth of the bucket with the other machine's bucket."

But, before making any more assumptions; I would want to see the site.

P.Services
04-21-2011, 10:16 PM
dont waste your time with this stupid shet. Next thing you know you make the guy loose the lawsuit and then what are the odds.....sure enough one of your buddies friends is his brother. It always works out like that. Just stay out of the battle.

knox gsl
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
If this was something you could drive across town and survey I may do it, but its in another state. Also at $50 per hour you're not making near what you could charge working on your own jobs and making videos.

stuvecorp
04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
dont waste your time with this stupid shet. Next thing you know you make the guy loose the lawsuit and then what are the odds.....sure enough one of your buddies friends is his brother. It always works out like that. Just stay out of the battle.

That's my thought too.

backhoe
04-21-2011, 10:52 PM
this sounds like another ins. company trying to get out of doing their job.

ksss
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Tell me the power of the internet isn't impressive. Personally I would let it go. If it goes to court which these seldom do, you get to prove your an expert witness. Good luck with that. Not saying your not an expert, you could be the greatest excavator operator ever put on earth, by the time they are done with cross examination they will have you looking for a rock to crawl under. Your exposing yourself to potential liablity for 50 an hour, probably not worth it. The real sad story here is the death of CX160. I would like to call for a moment of silence.:cry:

ioilyouin
04-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Maybe they're leaving something out. I wouldn't see how the engine sucking water alone is enough to total the machine. It wasn't rolled down a hill or involved in a fire. If the owner values the machine at 85K, I don't see why a rebulit couldn't replace the stricken engine. What's an engine for something like this going for? 20K?

ClearViewGroup
04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Chris...call me 804-761-4738 this is not a scam...I live 10 miles from saluda and personally know the attorney..Ransone's and John Luttrell...wow what a small world situation!

J. Peterson Grading
04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
This is why I closed my picture thread. To many un-known people seeing what you are doing is never a good thing.

Chris, with the type of "enviromental" work you do, its a damn miracle that some tree hugging enviro nut hasn't become "Offended" by what you are doing and decided to sue you over what they have seen on your Youtube page. They could call it "distruction" of some endangered molusk habitat.

It happens all the time.

J

ksss
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
This is why I closed my picture thread. To many un-known people seeing what you are doing is never a good thing.

Chris, with the type of "enviromental" work you do, its a damn miracle that some tree hugging enviro nut hasn't become "Offended" by what you are doing and decided to sue you over what they have seen on your Youtube page. They could call it "distruction" of some endangered molusk habitat.

It happens all the time.

J

I have always thought the same thing. Too much exposure is not a good thing.

Dirtman2007
04-22-2011, 12:20 PM

It happens all the time.

J

One of the main reasons I never give out my company name or my personal name to anyone on the internet I don't know
Posted via Mobile Device

Giles_uk
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM
i personally wouldnt get involved more hassle than its worth

can you prove youre an expert? are you certified etc by a national board in excavator recovery etc experience isnt enough when some lawyer is chewing you up in court.

from the way i read it its his fault, he got the machine stuck, he should have got it unstuck. not just shrugged his shoulders and said its not my fault.

its not off hire till its back on the lowloader and been signed for by the driver.

cant get it burried then hop out and say its not my fault rescue me, he going to learn a valuable lesson that lad. dont run before you can walk

Dirt Digger2
04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
One of the main reasons I never give out my company name or my personal name to anyone on the internet I don't know
Posted via Mobile Device

but this guy still found you. This is why since starting at a new and a lot more high profile company my picture posting has come to an end. All it takes is one guy to ruin it all. I'm not saying stop the pictures, we all enjoy them but like mentioned it only takes 1 guy to see your operation...call the EPA and DNR and you get a big fine for not having SWPPS and proper permitting to do a job...again not saying you don't have all your ducks lined up...but even if you do the aggravation of the EPA is one thing nobody needs.

As for the case...I would avoid it, unless of course you talk through your attorney to talk to this attorney. As mentioned if your "expert" opinion causes one of these guys to lose the case they may come after you for something.

Krafty
04-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a train wreck in the making, I would stay out of it. Come on your computer savy, are you telling me you don't think I could find your name, company name, and probably and address in less than and hour....

Dirtman2007
04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a train wreck in the making, I would stay out of it. Come on your computer savy, are you telling me you don't think I could find your name, company name, and probably and address in less than and hour....

well if you weren't on my facebook I'd say you'd have fun time! lol but like I said I just wanted to share this with ya'll Im not getting involved I've got way to much work to do this year than to deal with that. Just thought it was a interesting case and wanted to share.

But as far as youtube Im not stopping on that, I've made 10's of thousands off the work I've got from it and the ad sharing so im gonna ride that for what its worth.

Stayed tuned for more pics, lots of work this year. I'll keep the tire fire pics out so no EPA guy freaks out hahaha. just kidding

Krafty
04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
hahaha I always wondered how you did on youtube, I don't know much about it but sounds like a gold mine!$!$!$!$!$!

AWJ Services
04-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Owning your own buisness is about Liability. Why do you think so many Insurance companies have changed there names to "Risk Managment"?

The only reason I see to stop posting pics and videos is if you are working for someone else( may lead to lose of Job) or your doing something that may be wrong which would lead to fines.