PDA

View Full Version : local paper worth advertising in?

highlander316
04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
ok, there's a weekly ad paper that goes around this area, circulation claims about 30,000 recipients (that might be store front entrances, gas stations, etc also for part of that number). There's 7 or 8 lawn care/landscape companies listed in there. I was thinking of putting an ad in. The advantage I would have is that I would be the only one with a website listed. I would be roughly $550 for six weeks, 1/4 page (I believe that was the price). I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this would be an over-crowded (as in number of companies listed) paper to advertise in, or would having a website give me an advantage? Somebody I know who is in it says he gets a good amount of calls from it. Thanks.

rain man
04-22-2011, 12:33 AM
You can get different opinions but here is mine. Ad papers draw "customers" who want it cheap and don't want to cut regular. I would use the regular local newspaper. I would start with a small ad and see if it works before investing too much. Good luck.

topsites
04-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Well...

Anytime I am not sure of an advertising medium, I always run a "test" ad.
Read: With a small amount of money and for a short time frame.

So, for example, that paper of yours I would like to see if they have something for 1-2 weeks for say $50,
absolutely I would be willing to downsize the ad, even if it downsizes a lot!
Yes, I'd consider spending a little over $50 but not too much more.

Because I can tell you this...
If for $50 I don't get a one call?
It's probably not worth spending the 550.

And I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a test ad, I also wouldn't go 1/4 page.
Anything but the tiniest classified, get a 2x2 or a 1/8th page or something that should get you at least 1 call.
Then, if it works out, you can drop the big loot.

Hope that helps

weeze
04-22-2011, 12:54 AM
maybe just try the classified section at first...i did a month long ad in there and it was $100...i got several good season long customers from it which more than makes up for the money i spent

topsites
04-22-2011, 12:59 AM
True, you may not even need to spend big, it is very possible a smaller ad is all you need.

pestcontrolguy
04-22-2011, 02:14 AM
If you setup a simple Facebook business page and spent $550 on either Facebook ads or used Google Adwords for your area, you could easily recoup your investment... that does imply that you have a basic knowledge of it, but in my opinion, the eyeballs are online, and you can get very detailed statistics about how your ad dollars performed.

With print, you really don't know.

MOHUSTLER
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I avoid thoes "trade magazines" like the plague. Only guys who want stuff dirt cheap read thoes.

mnglocker
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I've had decent luck with my local paper. I live in a town of about 5,000, I run a full color 4x4 ad in an insert once a month.

Our local paper still have very good circulation though, that's probably why I've had decent results.

LawnsRUsInc.
04-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Yea the paper worked good for us but that was 10+ years ago. Like others have said its all online now.

Dr.NewEarth
04-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Two local papers here just cost me $325 for a month. I'm guessing the circulation in the
four cities involved is about 350,000. That's two papers, printed twice a week, with another daily copy that goes to businesses and exposure on their website. That's the going rate for only a four line ad. Not one call.

I wish I could get a 1/4 page ad for your cost.
Most of my business lately is word of mouth.
There are too many tire kickers and scammers on C's List and from the papers....
even the yellow pages bring out pita's.

I have done flyers and mailing campaigns and e-mails. That just p- - - es people off.
Return on flyers and mail is about one to three percent max.

We have the facebook ads and google and also a nice website and myspace and twitter and advertise on thirty other websites and on industry referral webpages and a couple of periodicals and also advertise on our trucks.....

There aren't too many calls coming in from any-where so far this year. Usually when the sun shines we get calls. Maybe after Easter?