PDA

View Full Version : Another Another Mulch Job Thread

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:08 PM
This is in response to another mulch job thread. I just did this 8 yard mulch job (probably more like 9 or 10 yards really, the place loads me heavy).

There are some existing problems with these beds that I had to work around. For one, there's fabic under the mulch. On the large bed, there had previously been poly edging that was standing up pretty proud and had fallen over, so the customer removed it. The problem is now the beds are a bit too steep at the edges. In order to flatten them a bit I'd either have to remove the fabric and regrade the beds or extend them out, neither of which was in the scope of the job. So I just dug the soil from the edges and disposed of it rather than put it in the beds and make the problem worse. Also, the turf is kind of clumpy, so even if you get a nice edge, it doesn't look like it because you have tufts of grass hanging over the edge. Not to mention lots and lots of rocks...I'd make a mess trying to dig them out.

Anyway, this is a basic mulch job for me for a fairly low profile property up in the woods. I don't get super picky but still try to make it look nice. For those from the other thread, this is what I'd call 90%. No, it's not up to PerfectEarths quailty, but I'm sure the customer will be delighted with both the product and the price.

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
More pics....I do these beds pretty quick...just a veneer coat really since they're not very visible and there are lots of small plants in them.

Well the bed in the 4th pic gets full thickness and I bet you all wanna do something with that juniper, don't you? lol

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:18 PM
And the obligatory tools and truck pic, lol

PerfectEarth
04-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Looks nice. I know what you're talking about with beds that have that sharp "slope" as you get towards the edge... They need shaving down (more of a project, as you said). Tough to get mulch to stick to it!

One of my tricks on the "grass hanging over the edge/clumpy turf" is to run a string trimmer on the newly spaded edge to clip off any grass- that really makes a sharp looking edge!! So.... use a trimmer first to clean up the grass, then spade edge, then trim again, then mulch. Makes it super crisp.

McG_Landscaping
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
looks good! I did a mulch job today too.

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Looks nice. I know what you're talking about with beds that have that sharp "slope" as you get towards the edge... They need shaving down (more of a project, as you said). Tough to get mulch to stick to it!

One of my tricks on the "grass hanging over the edge/clumpy turf" is to run a string trimmer on the newly spaded edge to clip off any grass- that really makes a sharp looking edge!! So.... use a trimmer first to clean up the grass, then spade edge, then trim again, then mulch. Makes it super crisp.

Yup on the trimmer...out of scope, lol. Actually I snuck this job in on short notice and really only had time for what I did, and that was pushing it. But the wife will be happy it's done before Easter.

I'm still breaking this customer in to using me for his landscaping. It's a long term plowing customer that usually does everything himself. He still does his own mowing and between the 2 of them they take care of the beds. I have done the fall cleanup for the last 2 years as well. I renovated the lawn too last year but it's kind of crappy soil...looked good at first...you should have seen it before though...work in progress I guess!

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh, the mulch is kind of a budget mulch. The call it "Dark Pine". It's composted pine chips, not bark. The only thing is that it's kind of "hot". You have to watch that you don't put it down too thickly near tender plants or it will literally scorch them. I do like that having gotten so hot that there's really no viable weed seeds in it.

And thanks for the compliments guys...especially coming from PerfectEarth...your work really is top notch!

Premier landscaping south
04-21-2011, 10:47 PM
OMG! That walkway needs some attention, like ripped out and pavers installed. I could not take that if I lived their.

Mulch looks great my friend. Keep it up.

THEGOLDPRO
04-21-2011, 10:50 PM
looks good man, I like the dark mulch, Most people by me dont seem to like it they usually go with dyed brown.

On a side note i cant believe this garage only has one door.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=219072&stc=1&d=1303438410

Darryl G
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes the sidewalk has character, lol and they sacrificed half of the garage when they had an in-law suite installed. In fact the part of the garage that remains isn't full depth I don't think, so it's more like a tool shed now. Personally there's no way I'd sacrafice even a square foot of my gargage for an in-law!!!

BadRancher
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Yes the sidewalk has character, lol and they sacrificed half of the garage when they had an in-law suite installed. In fact the part of the garage that remains isn't full depth I don't think, so it's more like a tool shed now. Personally there's no way I'd sacrafice even a square foot of my gargage for an in-law!!!

I like the work!!!! That is also a nice house!!! I like the looks and design of houses in the NE. Especially the older one that have been remodeled.... And the one that haven't been remodeled.

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Before and after pics of a job from today. The before pics are after bed prep, which was done yesterday. The mulch for this one is Hemlock. Did the back beds and the tree ring for the Red Maple in the front too. Lawn is due for a mow tomorrow.

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Question for you guys about that bed in the last pics. It just doesn't look right to me. I thought maybe it was the pachysandra that was kind of tall so I trimmed that but things still don't look right...unbalanced. Without going too crazy, what can i do to balance things better. You have the overgrown shrubs on one side, the smaller shrubs on the other and low growing juniper and pacyhsandra in between. Maybe a shrub in that bare spot between the junipers? There used to be a big tree in about that area but it was badly diseased so they removed it. Maybe a Sand Cherry? Star Magnolia? I don't know...not a great designer but I know it doesn't look right.

PerfectEarth
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I've seen worse beds in terms of layout, but yes- it is very random and a mix of old a new. My first thought was to add something like a small Crimson Queen Japanese maple in the middle of it all. In line with the gutter, in between the Junipers.

That would give you a different texture, a nice red to break things up, and a focal item that "fills" that spot...kind of a transition plant that would distract you from the unbalanced sides. It would provide a little low height (if that makes sense) and some color to transition you from one area to another.

nepatsfan
06-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Question for you guys about that bed in the last pics. It just doesn't look right to me. I thought maybe it was the pachysandra that was kind of tall so I trimmed that but things still don't look right...unbalanced. Without going too crazy, what can i do to balance things better. You have the overgrown shrubs on one side, the smaller shrubs on the other and low growing juniper and pacyhsandra in between. Maybe a shrub in that bare spot between the junipers? There used to be a big tree in about that area but it was badly diseased so they removed it. Maybe a Sand Cherry? Star Magnolia? I don't know...not a great designer but I know it doesn't look right.

It looks to me like they converted one of the garage bays into a room and just put an addition on the mulch bed. Thats why you have the mature shrubs in front and newer ones in front of the old garage. If I had to guess.

Not a bad spot for a wigelia or something. It will give a little height fairly quickly and they blossom twice sometimes and look real nice......I wouldnt do anything too tall in front of the window. Some catmint or russian sage will give some color too. Even something like ornamental grass would give it a little more height and balance it off a little but I am not real sure where I would put it without seeing it up close. I would dig up some of those boxwoods and move them around also...I think they are boxwoods..its kind of tough to see.

Darryl G
06-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Nepats - Actually it's a couple holly, couple barberry and couple of them dwarf golden arbs and a couple mutated azeleas, lol...hard to tell since they were just all trimmed of new growth/color. But yeah they're kind of tight and were all grown together in fact before I trimmed them yesterday. I really couldn't leave any texture on them and get seperation. I hear what you're saying about the garage but I don't think so. The 20 plus inch maple tree stump in that bed makes me think not...would have been very close to the garage entry if not blocking it. The house is Circa 1970 BTW and the original owner. My property abuts the other side of this subdivision.

Where Perfect Earth mentioned adding a tree is where I was thinking and in fact where the maple was. I think I like the Japaneese Maple idea.

So how do you guys like the bed border bricks? That was professionally done by a large well established landscaping outfit here in town. No retainer edging on either side of the walk, just those pavers loosely laid down one one side of it and the driveway. Maybe some day I'll take the time to at least level them. I didn't really realize how sloppy they look until seeing them in these pictures.