PDA

View Full Version : Which one to purchase??

Dave in Buffalo
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Hello everyone,
I am a frequent visitor to the sister site for snow removal etc... I am now taking on one (1) lawn maintenance job, and I need some help. I will be cutting approxamately 2.5 acres of lawn. Since this is my only lawn job, I do not have to rush and get it done and get on to the next one and the next one and so on...I approached my employer and asked if i could cut the lawn for them. They loved the ambition. My question to all of you is..I am looking for a zero turn mower. There are many makes and models out there. I will be looking for a 50-60 inch deck. One capable of bagging a couple select areas. It doesnt have to be a speed demon either since I have a lot of time to cut. I dont want to spend a fortune either. My research has shown me 5k machines all the way up to 15k machines. The mower will be working at the max 20 hours a week.(spring ..when i will cut 2x per week). Please provide me with your suggestions. Thank you in advance

ashgrove landscaping
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Well if you are bagging for 20 hours a week, that's quite a bit. You are asking for a full time job basically. 2.5 acres does not equal 20 hrs. a week. More accurate info. I guess.

knox gsl
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I would look for a entry level commercial machine with an accelerator grass catcher or look for a used commercial machine with a bagger. Whatever you do don't go to HomeCrapo or Lowes, they sell overpriced sheetmetal.

topsites
04-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I am sorry but 2.5 acres of lawn won't take you no 10 hours on a Ztr of most any configuration,
my 60" would do such a puny expanse in under three hours but I would recommend you get a smaller deck
in the 48" range because not only will you still git'r done in half an afternoon (4 hours max) but the smaller
deck will turn out a much better looking lawn.

You have to remember, the bigger the deck, the trickier the cut,
mostly because it scalps easier.

Meanwhile you might get away with less $$$ spent but insofar as recommendations,
have you tried talking to your dealer?

jiggz
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Bobcat..hands down best ztr for the money.. you can get a leftover Fastcat for well under 5 gs.. Id stay closer to a 52" mabye een a 48.. 60 is huge.. and if you pick up more lawns you might not be able to use something that big.. remeber you can always spend an extra 5 minutes cutting but you cant make the deck smaller

pugs
04-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Honestly for 2.5 acres get a nice Gear drive walkbehind for around 3000 and add a grass gobbler or what not for when you want to pickup stuff.