PDA

View Full Version : What's my other " DOG TURD" option?

soloscaperman
04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I was doing a spring cleanup a few days ago and meet up with the wife. We are pretty close and she gave me a lot of work. Once I asked her if they can remove some of the dog turds so I can mow she got all offended. She said something like I get nauseous looking at it so that is out of the question. I gave her an excuse saying for safety reason with other customers and there dogs I don't like to run it over and track it to the other yard. She mumbled that she will ask her husband but the sad part is that he is very LAZY!!

Her dog is a huge Husky. It's like the size of a Bear. Should I just charge more or charge a fee for me to remove it?? They both lost there jobs and both have part time jobs so I don't want to rise the price. The dumps are about as big as a small basketball!!

grincon
04-22-2011, 02:38 AM
I usually blow it off into the beds if they dont pick it up. Theres nothing like the smell of that crap inside an enclosed trailer or in the truck.

soloscaperman
04-22-2011, 02:44 AM
This is the worse. It's light brown and muddy like. My mower can't even go up the trailer with it on the tire lol. I guess I will waste my time hosing it down. Not sure what they feed the dog. She actually can't wait till it dies and I am sorry to say this but I wouldn't miss the dog. Her back yard is gated and this things craps in a 2 foot radius and they just smell horrible.

Dr.NewEarth
04-22-2011, 02:57 AM
I have it in our HOA contract that if a yard doesn't clean up there is a fine.
They sign it, but they won't pay me the fines. Why do I bother having contracts?

It sounds too big to just cut around. I'll bet the yard is all tufts of grass and
slippery stinky dead areas.

I wouldn't feel bad about their alleged financial situation.
Don't be offended, but they could drop you like a ton of bricks
even if you are the best thing out there for them.

People want the pets, but they won't look after them.

If I see a yard like that I tell the potential client that I am not interested.

My crew doesn't want crap on their clothes all day and we don't want it on our equipment, in the trailers or the trucks....

The fine is supposed to cover the cost of cleaning clothes, the time it takes to hose off the tools and clean the truck. Also, if you can't cut for a couple of weeks the longer grass is more of a burden on the machinery and blades.

Do you bag your dog waste with your clippings?

I actually have one residential client with a pitt bull. He told me, if they don't clean the
grass where the dog does its business, just don't cut it. When I do cut that area, I
make it really short. Then if I have to miss a week, it's still easy to cut the next time.

Lately I don't know what to do. It seems like people and hoa's don't have
much respect for the contractors that help to increase their property value.

There are companies that clean up after dogs. Around here they cost about ten bucks a week per house.

I met one of these guys on a residential property before I cut. He scooped and dumped the waste into his five gallon pails in the back of his little pick-up. He wore no gloves.
Then he grabbed his sandwich and stood there eating and talking to me. Yum.

mikemat31
04-22-2011, 03:01 AM
I am 16 and I work for a landscaper. We did a spring clean up and I was on picking up the leaves and barreling crew. I was using my hands to pick up the leaves. One of the other employees asked if i have gloves because there might be dog poop I said no I don't need them. I bend down to pick up the next bundle and sure enough something mooshy on my hands it smelt like pure S***. So you can just hire a young kid and hopefully he is stupid enough like myself and pick it up.
lol

soloscaperman
04-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Mike When I was your age which wasn't that long ago I use to weed wack it and one time it hit my face. My boss cracked up.

Smallaxe
04-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Lost their jobs, support a dog and don't take care of it and pay to have someone else mow their lawn... Those kind of people make me more nauseous than dog poop...

Tell them to give a call when the yard is cleaned up, then don't go back...

topsites
04-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Long version:
Dog poop is part of the unsigned agreement down in sub-classification 93b on one of the very last pages of the long-term
contract over in the fine print section that nobody ever reads, but I am pretty sure it's in there because even the most
hard-core anti-poop folks run into it and so unfortunately it's become part of the occupational hazards of this here landscaping
job you signed up for, if we did not have dog poop this job would likely be too easy but the good news is after so many years
I do believe you kind of get used to it, for example it still bothers me some but then again it is just dog poop.

Short version:
Deal with it best you can.

fazzy815-66
04-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Long version:
Dog poop is part of the unsigned agreement down in sub-classification 93b on one of the very last pages of the long-term
contract over in the fine print section that nobody ever reads, but I am pretty sure it's in there because even the most
hard-core anti-poop folks run into it and so unfortunately it's become part of the occupational hazards of this here landscaping
job you signed up for, if we did not have dog poop this job would likely be too easy but the good news is after so many years
I do believe you kind of get used to it, for example it still bothers me some but then again it is just dog poop.

Short version:
Deal with it best you can.
LOL! this is great! Topsites you are hilarious. I will never forget this incident. We had this one yard we called "the poop yard" I am mowing the front yard and I notice my employee walking to the truck, so I stop the mower to ask whats up? He turns and looks at me,I notice dog crap all over his face and body.By this time I am rolling on the ground and I say to him "what happened?" He says "I hit it with the whip and it even went in my mouth" lol,needless to say I had to take him home so he could change.

NJT
04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I put it right in my agreements: $10 charge per week for yards that aren't consistently cleared of crap. Works fine. Now there's a few that miss a landmine or two, but it keeps the 45 other loads in the backyard picked up, so I don't fret over that.