PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Super Z with the 37 hp Kawasaki New info !

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Guys,
Yesterday morning I took a 45 mile trip from my house to Murfreesboro Tn to pick up a new hustler Super Z. I have owned a Super Z with a 27 hp Kohler for several years, and have been very disappointed with the hill climbing abilities of the machine. So I was really struggling with the decision on whether to get the 31 hp Kawasaki or the 37 hp. I knew the 31 hp would be more powerful than the 27 hp was, but I also knew that most of the power would be consumed with the extra weight of the machine, and possibly by the new pumps. I had already told the dealer that I was coming after the 37 hp machine, but was second guessing myself on the way down to pick it up. I decided to call him about 20 minutes before I was going to be there, I told him what I had read on here about the 37 hp engines, and my concerns. I ask him to see which engine number was on the mower and the build date.

When I arrived at the dealership the salesman had some pretty interesting information to pass along to me. First off he hadn't heard anything about the engine failures, so the first thing he did was call Kawasaki. This is what he was told. First off there are two bulletins coming out on the engine neither of which had this dealership received as of yesterday. One is on the cams and the other is on the heads. It turns out that the machine I was going to look at, had a engine build date of 11/10 or November 2010. This engine already has the new cams, but will still need both heads replaced under the recall bulletin.
It seems that the metal in the cams was much too soft, and this was part of the problem. They also said that something was wrong with the metal in the heads. I guess both of these issues together was the cause of valve train failures.
I bought the Kawasaki super oil that extended the engine warranty to 5 years, loaded that monster 37 hp up and brought it home. I work in the auto industry, and I know from time to time that issues do arrive that cause poor quality. I also know that any major company that has quality issues will dig in real deep real quick to correct the issues. Most of the time they don't admit they have a problem until they have a solution to fix it figured out.
Hustler has had pump and deck issues now they have fixed them, Kawasaki has had engine problems, and now they are fixing them .... I hope ... lol
going out to mow some hills, and will give some feed back on performance. soon.

PJ over at the hustler forum should be able to find more info on the Kawasaki engine bulletins. If my salesman can I know he can also.

MOHUSTLER
04-22-2011, 09:42 AM
We recived the bulleten over 2 months ago. Fortunatly none of mine were on the list to fix. From what im to understand only a very small number had to have cams replaced. Quite a few had the heads replaced. Im not sure how kawi figured out the problem becasue we got the bulleten before most of the country started cutting grass. It might have been a 1 out of 100 had this happen and it was enough for a recal. Who knows kawis thought process. But so far the ones we have sold have has 0 issues.

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Mine was the first 37 they had sold at this dealership. I wonder if this is some sort of new bulletin. He said that they would call me when they got the bulletin to change the heads. I guess when you get new heads they come with new valves and everything.
I bet Kawasaki was probably basing the repair off their previous history with this engine. I can tell for sure that it is a major improvement over my old super z. This thing pulls the hills on my place without any effort at all. My old 27 hp kohler would bog down, and the blades would slow down. This machine doesn't do that at all. The one thing that I have noticed right off is the blue smoke at start up. I only have one hour on the machine so this may be due partly to the rings not being seated just yet.

I also noticed that this engine is a FXT00V while the older one was FX1000V. .

HenryB
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
We recived the bulleten over 2 months ago. Fortunatly none of mine were on the list to fix. From what im to understand only a very small number had to have cams replaced. Quite a few had the heads replaced. Im not sure how kawi figured out the problem becasue we got the bulleten before most of the country started cutting grass. It might have been a 1 out of 100 had this happen and it was enough for a recal. Who knows kawis thought process. But so far the ones we have sold have has 0 issues.

I had two 37 Kawy's both blew up in under 400hrs. Yes it was a very widespread problem not 1 in a 100 IMO.

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I had two 37 Kawy's both blew up in under 400hrs. Yes it was a very widespread problem not 1 in a 100 IMO.

I agree, it was enough that they could no longer ignore the problem. Like I stated earlier these large companies are very slow to admit that they have problems. They like to come up with the fix for the problem first...

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
My friend had two Kawasaki 37's go bad, the first sign of trouble was blue smoke at start up.

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
My friend had two Kawasaki 37's go bad, the first sign of trouble was blue smoke at start up.

Usually it's a sign of oil slipping past the rings or the valve guides. Could be rings not seated yet with only 1 hour on unit. Could also be valve guides, and this could be part of the reason for the cylinder head replacement recall.

I believe the replacement heads will come with the valves already installed, so hopefully this along with the new cam will cure all the valve train issues. I guess time will tell... I believe they will know if this solves the problem well before my 5 year warranty runs out. I sure hope they do anyway .....

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Usually it's a sign of oil slipping past the rings or the valve guides. Could be rings not seated yet with only 1 hour on unit. Could also be valve guides, and this could be part of the reason for the cylinder head replacement recall.

I believe the replacement heads will come with the valves already installed, so hopefully this along with the new cam will cure all the valve train issues. I guess time will tell... I believe they will know if this solves the problem well before my 5 year warranty runs out. I sure hope they do anyway .....

Yes just check your engine serial # and make sure it isn't in the recall or if it is at least you will know. Kawasaki seems to be stepping up to the plate with the recall. My friend had a long year last year though having all these issues and since there was no widespread knowledge of a problem he was sweating it. Any company can get some bad parts and have many units already in the field before it becomes apparent there is a problem. I tested the 37 Kawasaki, plenty of power, governor kicks in and out a lot (thirsty). What's with the 5 year warranty? I thought it was 3?

T.M. LAWNS
04-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes just check your engine serial # and make sure it isn't in the recall or if it is at least you will know. Kawasaki seems to be stepping up to the plate with the recall. My friend had a long year last year though having all these issues and since there was no widespread knowledge of a problem he was sweating it. Any company can get some bad parts and have many units already in the field before it becomes apparent there is a problem. I tested the 37 Kawasaki, plenty of power, governor kicks in and out a lot (thirsty). What's with the 5 year warranty? I thought it was 3?

Tacoma,do you think the new heads will come with new updated valve guides & valve stem seals?

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Tacoma,do you think the new heads will come with new updated valve guides & valve stem seals?

Yes from what I have heard it will be a new intact head with everything in place, ready to bolt on, we have several that Kawasaki dealers/mechanics on this site that could tell us for sure. Some may get heads and/or cams I think. Someone with more inside info could let us know.

hkmachinegun
04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
are the cams roller or flat tappet,today's oil will not work with ft cams.

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 09:27 PM

The engine is in the recall for the new heads, so I will have to take it back at some point for this. According to the serial number it already has the new cams installed.

The engine might actually have a 6 year warranty on internal parts. When I purchased the mower, I also purchased a special oil called Opti-4. This is what the warranty card says.....

If you buy this oil " Interlube international, inc will extend your warranty period on internal engine parts to twice that offered by the engine manufacturer.

How to Qualify:

1. Make sure your new unit has been initially filled with Opti-4 four cycle lubricant and the engine sticker is attached.
2. Purchase a 6 pack or 2-1 gallon jugs of Opti-4 four cycle lubricant for top up and oil changes. Equipment and oil must be purchased at the same time and same location.
3. Use Opti-4 four cycle lubricant exclusively during entire warranty period."

Underneath all this information are spaces that have to be filled out by the hustler dealer. which included my name, address, purchase date and information about the engine, and what the original manufacturers warranty is ( 3 years ). The dealer then sent one copy to Interlube, and gave me the other copy.

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 09:42 PM
The engine is in the recall for the new heads, so I will have to take it back at some point for this. According to the serial number it already has the new cams installed.

The engine might actually have a 6 year warranty on internal parts. When I purchased the mower, I also purchased a special oil called Opti-4. This is what the warranty card says.....

If you buy this oil " Interlube international, inc will extend your warranty period on internal engine parts to twice that offered by the engine manufacturer.

How to Qualify:

1. Make sure your new unit has been initially filled with Opti-4 four cycle lubricant and the engine sticker is attached.
2. Purchase a 6 pack or 2-1 gallon jugs of Opti-4 four cycle lubricant for top up and oil changes. Equipment and oil must be purchased at the same time and same location.
3. Use Opti-4 four cycle lubricant exclusively during entire warranty period."

Underneath all this information are spaces that have to be filled out by the hustler dealer. which included my name, address, purchase date and information about the engine, and what the original manufacturers warranty is ( 3 years ). The dealer then sent one copy to Interlube, and gave me the other copy.

Well I'm happy for you Randy. I also had the old Super Z with the 27 Kohler and the grades were a bit hard on it. The Super Z should shine with the larger engine. One of the better handling, riding ZTR's I ever owned. I hope this new deck works out great for you. All that power and speed, I bet you can't wait to hit the grass in the morning! The new transmission sounds impressive also.

webdrifter
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Well I'm happy for you Randy. I also had the old Super Z with the 27 Kohler and the grades were a bit hard on it. The Super Z should shine with the larger engine. One of the better handling, riding ZTR's I ever owned. I hope this new deck works out great for you. All that power and speed, I bet you can't wait to hit the grass in the morning! The new transmission sounds impressive also.

Thanks,
I actually mowed about 2 acres with it today... The hydro's are very quiet unlike the old super z... When you push the sticks forward you actually feel the front end try to rise up instead of the blades dying down. I haven't been just dumping the sticks all at once yet because of the new factor, and wanting to break it in easy... The ride and handling are very similar to the older model, but I do feel like I'm sitting slightly higher than before.

Earlier in the week I demoed a 29 hp dfi liquid cooled turf tiger. The turf tiger pulled my hills much better than my old super z did. This new super z pulls the hills better without bogging than the turf tiger did. Of course comparing a 29 horse to a 37 horse is not very fair. I also know that the turf tiger with the big Briggs would be a different story all together.
I was going to keep the turf tiger, but I have a few places on my property that the front end would head towards the sky, and it like to scared me to death. It was great mowing across the hills though. I never had the super z try to come up like that. I figured that maybe the liquid cooled motor placed too much weight in the back, making the front end light going up hill... The scag was also used with just a 1 year warranty.

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks,
I actually mowed about 2 acres with it today... The hydro's are very quiet unlike the old super z... When you push the sticks forward you actually feel the front end try to rise up instead of the blades dying down. I haven't been just dumping the sticks all at once yet because of the new factor, and wanting to break it in easy... The ride and handling are very similar to the older model, but I do feel like I'm sitting slightly higher than before.

Earlier in the week I demoed a 29 hp dfi liquid cooled turf tiger. The turf tiger pulled my hills much better than my old super z did. This new super z pulls the hills better without bogging than the turf tiger did. Of course comparing a 29 horse to a 37 horse is not very fair. I also know that the turf tiger with the big Briggs would be a different story all together.
I was going to keep the turf tiger, but I have a few places on my property that the front end would head towards the sky, and it like to scared me to death. It was great mowing across the hills though. I never had the super z try to come up like that. I figured that maybe the liquid cooled motor placed too much weight in the back, making the front end light going up hill... The scag was also used with just a 1 year warranty.
Keep us updated.. especially on the cut from the new deck.

MOHUSTLER
04-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I had a chance to test the new VX4 yesterday on my dads yard. He has not mowed yet this year. Grass was 8" tall and I was cutting it back to 3.5 inches. I mowed the grass all in the same dirtection thorwing it ontop of the uncut grass and going back. ( was doing this casue were having the kids up for easter egg hunting and I dident want dead grass in the yard.)

Anyways.. his yard is around 1acre and by the time I was twards the last few passes there was a large pile of cut grass ontop of the uncut 8" tall grass. The new deck did AMAZING. it was still throwing the soaking wet grass 2-3 rows far and spreading it out like it was bone dry grass.

My dad is a hustler skeptic ( loving the scags we also sell ) And he was amazed at the new mower. My dad is a quite man and only speaks in yes and no scentenses. He was chattering about the cut like a 15 year old girl on the phone.

NOW THE REAL TEST. we had 3/4 inch of rain move through at 8am yesterday morning. We cut the grass at 5:30 in the after noon, it was overcast all day and did not have much time to dry out. The VX4 deck was almost spotless underneath.

Id give huster an A+ on the new deck. Serously try it out and you will belive it as well.

webdrifter
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I can't hardly wait for my grass to grow some more, so I can mow it again .... lol

SouthSide Cutter
04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
If a guy buys a Hustler what decks beside the VX4 are good? Have run about all the gas mtrs out but the 37 Kaw. And if gas keeps going higher sure glad I got a 29DFI. Haven't run anything gas that will compete with it on fuel.

webdrifter
04-23-2011, 01:17 PM
If a guy buys a Hustler what decks beside the VX4 are good? Have run about all the gas mtrs out but the 37 Kaw. And if gas keeps going higher sure glad I got a 29DFI. Haven't run anything gas that will compete with it on fuel.

The old Hustler deck was the XR7 the new one is the VX4. I don't think you have any other choices besides these on the Super Z or the X-One. So far the VX4 deck is showing improvements over the old XR7.

The 29 HP DFI will probably keep more profit in your pocket .... I only mow a little over 3 acres so the gas isn't such a big issue with me. If I spend $10 or $15 on gas each mowing it's fine...

webdrifter
04-23-2011, 01:22 PM
NOW THE REAL TEST. we had 3/4 inch of rain move through at 8am yesterday morning. We cut the grass at 5:30 in the after noon, it was overcast all day and did not have much time to dry out. The VX4 deck was almost spotless underneath.

Id give huster an A+ on the new deck. Serously try it out and you will belive it as well.

I'm glad to hear the deck stays clean .... I actually took some extra steps on mine. As soon as I got it off the trailer I waxed the entire unit including the underside of the deck. I hope this will make clean up a lot easier down the road.

weeze
04-23-2011, 04:25 PM
i admire huslter for accepting defeat and redesigning their decks...they used to talk how their decks were welded not stamped like it was a big deal...it's nice that they accepted that a stamped deck gives a better cut and doesn't get clogged up as much....i think the JD 7 iron, Scag velocity, and now the hustler vx4 are the best decks out there now....would like to see a side by side comparison cutting the same exact yard in the same conditions for every deck out there made....then everyone could see the truth lol

tacoma200
04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
As far as if grass sticks, most newer decks will not get much grass build up until all the paint is gone. So it takes awhile to tell for sure. The XR7 I had was bad about deck build up. Of course that depended on if I had one triangle fix, two triangle fixes, lift kit add on, etc. Some of you probably don't remember the first XR7 with the fixes.

mtmower
09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new 60" super z and would like opinions on weather to go with the 31 or 37 horse. I've heard that some day they may offer the 31dsi but who knows for sure if or when. Have a standard deck 24hond/60 and a xr7 28efi kohler/66 to compare to. Both are not over powered by any means of the word.

tacoma200
09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a new 60" super z and would like opinions on weather to go with the 31 or 37 horse. I've heard that some day they may offer the 31dsi but who knows for sure if or when. Have a standard deck 24hond/60 and a xr7 28efi kohler/66 to compare to. Both are not over powered by any means of the word.

I wish I knew what Kawasaki has done to remedy the early problems (if anything). I think the fact they have increased the warranty to 3 years is promising though. I don't think you can have too much power with a Super Z. I couldn't in good faith recommend either engine till I was sure they had worked out all the problems. So far the consensus is that the FX series overall is unreliable and very thirsty. Even the 29 hp has had several failures reported on this site and it is very thirsty also. That being said I have one 29 FX, it runs great and has a lot of power compared to a Kohler in that horsepower range.

mtmower
09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I talked to a friend that's running three exmark 29/60 all about 1 1/2 yrs old. Highest hrs on one is under 700. He just lost the engine due to intake valve failure. Kaw is sending him a new motor. Of course he's worried if the fix is a final fix and about when the other two will go (in or out of warranty). Thinking of trading all three in but what a $ hit.

Huling
09-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I wish I knew what Kawasaki has done to remedy the early problems (if anything). I think the fact they have increased the warranty to 3 years is promising though. I don't think you can have too much power with a Super Z. I couldn't in good faith recommend either engine till I was sure they had worked out all the problems. So far the consensus is that the FX series overall is unreliable and very thirsty. Even the 29 hp has had several failures reported on this site and it is very thirsty also. That being said I have one 29 FX, it runs great and has a lot of power compared to a Kohler in that horsepower range.

Unbelieveable to me. With all the anadotal comments on the problems with the FX engines.... wouldn't you think they would have a major notification / marketing program to tell what was wrong and what had been done to fix it. Lack of feedback from kaw has completely changed my mind of what I would buy.

MJB
09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm about to give up on Kawasaki engines alltogether. Has anyone else had trouble getting parts from Kawasaki? I'm waiting almost 2 weeks for valve seats for my FH770D 28hp . Exmark dealer says Kawi is hard to get parts on time now, you never know if it's 2 days or 2 weeks. I went to adjust the valves and found the seat floating on 1 side. Hope thats all I have to worry about.

tacoma200
09-17-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm about to give up on Kawasaki engines alltogether. Has anyone else had trouble getting parts from Kawasaki? I'm waiting almost 2 weeks for valve seats for my FH770D 28hp . Exmark dealer says Kawi is hard to get parts on time now, you never know if it's 2 days or 2 weeks. I went to adjust the valves and found the seat floating on 1 side. Hope thats all I have to worry about.

I was hoping it was only the FX series vertical engines. I've always thought the horizontal engines were bullet proof. How many hours on it? I'm glad you caught the problem early.

MJB
09-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I was hoping it was only the FX series vertical engines. I've always thought the horizontal engines were bullet proof. How many hours on it? I'm glad you caught the problem early.

1260 hrs. But I am wondering if this happened because the valves were not adjusted every 300 hrs like the book says. Does everyone adjust them every 300 hrs? I might be to blame for this. Otherwise the engine has run great up until the coil went out last month. But it still had a miss so I pulled the valve covers and the rocker arms were to loose, also an o ring and what looks like 1 of the valve seats were laying between the 2 .

retrodog
09-17-2011, 11:19 AM
My Kawasaki distributor has an emergency overnite service I use a lot. Its cheaper than you would think on their shipping too. Kawasaki has been the best for me on parts and their tech support is hands down the greatest... I can fix any Kawasaki in 2 days, I can't say the same for the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
09-17-2011, 04:20 PM
My Kawasaki distributor has an emergency overnite service I use a lot. Its cheaper than you would think on their shipping too. Kawasaki has been the best for me on parts and their tech support is hands down the greatest... I can fix any Kawasaki in 2 days, I can't say the same for the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can he service dealers for my area? Sounds like I need to have my dealer call him for parts next time. Or I will just call and order parts from you next time.

retrodog
09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah, they offer drop ship on their dealer ordering set up, I could just drop ship you parts directly from them. To be honest, I think we all use the same distributor in the states, but I could be wrong. I think its just direct from kawasaki power. Any dealer can get their emergency service, they just have to click on it when ordering. If the part is not in an American location, they can see right there on the ordering site in like 10 seconds, and tell you if its backordered or not. I did have coils backordered last year, and a complete carb this year, but other than that they seem to keep nearly everything on hand....

tacoma200
09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
1260 hrs. But I am wondering if this happened because the valves were not adjusted every 300 hrs like the book says. Does everyone adjust them every 300 hrs? I might be to blame for this. Otherwise the engine has run great up until the coil went out last month. But it still had a miss so I pulled the valve covers and the rocker arms were to loose, also an o ring and what looks like 1 of the valve seats were laying between the 2 .

That's a possibility. I give Kohler credit for using hydraulic lifters (or whatever) so they never need adjusting. Kohler just doesn't have the torque a Kawasaki does though. Like I said glad you caught it. I know the Kawasaki FX series wants you to take it to the dealer and have the all the shrouds taken off yearly and clean the debris around the heads. It states that this should be done by the dealer. I'm guessing they are having problems with excessive heat in this area, hence the head, valve problems. Adjusting the valves every 300 hrs is a bit of a pain and many of us overlook it.

MJB
09-18-2011, 01:30 AM
That's a possibility. I give Kohler credit for using hydraulic lifters (or whatever) so they never need adjusting. Kohler just doesn't have the torque a Kawasaki does though. Like I said glad you caught it. I know the Kawasaki FX series wants you to take it to the dealer and have the all the shrouds taken off yearly and clean the debris around the heads. It states that this should be done by the dealer. I'm guessing they are having problems with excessive heat in this area, hence the head, valve problems. Adjusting the valves every 300 hrs is a bit of a pain and many of us overlook it.

My Outlaw has the FX series in it I forgot which one but it is 31hp. Nobody has told me anything to do on it. The valves do not appear to adjustable either. I guess I need to get retrodog to clarify what I need to do, if anything, I'm almost at 400 hrs with no problems, I can't find an engine manual, not sure if I got one or downloaded one online. But it does seem the lifters are a little louder than before, but it could be just me.

TLS
09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
MJB,

Sorry to hear of your issues.

That 28 Kawi, though not hugely popular, has had good durability overall.

Don't know about you guys, but I'd pay a thousand more dollars for a ZTR if it had an engine on it that was PERFECT.

Too often engine manufacturers are forced to build an engine to maintain a certain price point.

Really wish Honda (or any other manufacturer) would get into the 800+ cc category and offer a premium engine designed to last 5K hrs.

Mickhippy
09-19-2011, 07:12 AM
A few weeks ago I mentioned to my dealer/mechanic that my 31kawi was back firing when shutting down, sometimes on start up and he mentioned the valve adjustment. Then I read this thread and being that my SZ has 700 odd hours on it I took it in today for the work to be done.
Well, IT ISNT A SIMPLE JOB! Most of the rear end has to come off including the muffler and guess what, the muffler broke off from the exhaust pipe. The steal had turned to almost like tissue (more like toilet) paper! Fortunately he was able to weld it back together.

So, if anyone is thinking of adjusting these valves on a pre 2011 SZ, take great care!
I just hope the weld holds until I sell this machine!

The new 2011 SZ has a different exhaust set up now doesn't it?????

TLS
09-19-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm on my 2nd muffler and head pipe!

When I mow at dusk, the entire head pipe and bottom half of muffler is cherry red!

I'll have to remember to shoot this area with my IR temp sensor.

Repeated super hot/cold cycles are very difficult for this thin gauge steel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
09-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I thought it was you TLS but wasnt sure!
My first on this machine. One went out on last 28efi SZ but at least I had 1000hrs on it!

MJB
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm on my 2nd muffler and head pipe!

When I mow at dusk, the entire head pipe and bottom half of muffler is cherry red!

I'll have to remember to shoot this area with my IR temp sensor.

Repeated super hot/cold cycles are very difficult for this thin gauge steel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Watch for cracks under the engine too. I had my exhaust welded up a few times but then I found the crack. I sure don't miss the burnt grass anymore either. They should change the name from Super Z to Super Hot Z. Anyway super z owners might want to watch fo these cracks especially with the 30 kohler engine.

TLS
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
MJB,

Your engine deck looks to be much more "open" then I remember mine being. I don't think I can see my starter from underneath.