PDA

View Full Version : fc 90 or 110

smz89
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I need to decide on an edger asap and cant decide on the fc90 or fc110. The local dealer here has one fc90 in stock for $350 and would have to order a 110 for $460 and said I would have to pay the shipping. What would you guys do. Any suggestions apprecaited.

Thanks

All_Toro_4ME
04-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I've never known a dealer to charge the customer for shipping when placing an order. Where in the heck do you live? They usually just include it with their regular shipment of other equipment/supplies so its all inclusive. Honestly it depends on the heavy overgrowth you'd be facing or lack thereof for which edger is best for your needs. If you foresee a lot of heavy overgrowth on the curbs for edging, then the extra power in the 110 will be appreciated. If its just general weekly/bi weekly maintenance, the 90 will be more then enough to get the job done.

StihlMechanic
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Very odd. If you have another dealer, go see them.

But help answer your question, I have a 90 and love it.

smz89
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought it was odd they said I would pay shipping also being they are a dealer. What I have right now doesn't have a lot of overgrowth but then you never know what the future holds.
Posted via Mobile Device

cashishift
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
You paying cash?

Oddly enough, if you can pay cash.. i've gotten some nice discounts from saying that.

Alan0354
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
FC90 is quite strong already, do you need just a little bigger for $100 more?

freshprince94
04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
The FC 90 is a curved shaft edger, the 110 is a straight shaft with a slightly bigger engine. Having owned both a straight shaft and curved shaft Stihl edger, I can say without a doubt buy the FC 90. The straight shaft Stihls don't turn the blade nearly as fast, and as a result, you have a significantly worse edge with grass left hanging over. The FC90 cuts a perfect edge every time and has plenty of power. I use mine on foreclosures and overgrown edges all the time. I hated my straight shaft stihl with a passion.

PLS-Tx
04-23-2011, 01:20 AM
110, find a new dealer.

grincon
04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I would tell the dealer to shove the shipping up his *** and go find another dealer that has one in stock.

knox gsl
04-23-2011, 01:41 AM
At my dealer I get it assembled ready to run, 5% off MSRP and a pack of 2stroke oil with a Stihl purchase. They also have a great service dept often same day turn around.

Turf Dawg
04-23-2011, 09:03 AM
The FC 90 is a curved shaft edger, the 110 is a straight shaft with a slightly bigger engine. Having owned both a straight shaft and curved shaft Stihl edger, I can say without a doubt buy the FC 90. The straight shaft Stihls don't turn the blade nearly as fast, and as a result, you have a significantly worse edge with grass left hanging over. The FC90 cuts a perfect edge every time and has plenty of power. I use mine on foreclosures and overgrown edges all the time. I hated my straight shaft stihl with a passion.

What he said.

I have both straight and curved and use the curved 99.5% of the time.

smz89
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys, I am still trying to decide though. Anyone know of a good site to order from?

Alan0354
04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys, I am still trying to decide though. Anyone know of a good site to order from?

That's the catch, you can't order Stihl online. They don't allow that. You have to buy it from dealer. Also Stihl is not generous in giving out parts diagram and support for do-it-yourself. They want you to have the "authorized" shop to repair.....$$$

smz89
04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I picked up a 90 from the dealership yesterday. This will be the first year that we are offering edging and its raining so I havent gotten the chance to play with it yet. To start do you have to take a shovel and take out a little chunk to get started? or do you just set it along side the cement and it will do the work? Also was wondering how they work on curves.. Thanks guys

knox gsl
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I picked up a 90 from the dealership yesterday. This will be the first year that we are offering edging and its raining so I havent gotten the chance to play with it yet. To start do you have to take a shovel and take out a little chunk to get started? or do you just set it along side the cement and it will do the work? Also was wondering how they work on curves.. Thanks guys

No shovel needed, and they work well with a normal curve.

georgiagrass
05-02-2011, 03:29 AM
The 90 works fine. You'll be pleased with it, especially if you've never used Stihl edgers.

All_Toro_4ME
05-02-2011, 09:51 AM
The 90 has plenty of power as others have already said. Just line your blade up with where the yard ends between that gap and the curb. I'd go slow at first until you get the hang of it. As your blade wears down, adjust the thumb screw to change the blade height. Be sure to buy plenty of edger blades.