PDA

View Full Version : Nicest lawn on the block...

TeamLawnCare
04-22-2011, 01:01 PM
A customer of mine told me he wants to have the "nicest lawn on the block" the biggest issue is his front yard it was a dive! He hired me last year a month before the snow started falling to "renovate" his lawn. At that point there wasn't much I could do. The lawn was sparse, the weather was cold, and it was full of weeds. I applied some heavy fertilizer to jump start the lawn and I spent a good hour pulling all of the weeds. They were long, and I figured it would be better then spraying them at that point. The customer informed me that he had only mowed the lawn once the whole season because it wasn't growing and it was very yellow. The neighborhood was built in an area with a lot of clay and the builders didn't lay down a lot of top soil before putting in the lawn. This year we got it growing again, by applying some 24-6-8 fertilizer each week for a month, I also aerated it a few weeks ago. It has been very rainy in our area so the lawn has greened up quite nicely compared to what it was last year. (it's all relative) That brings us up to this point, now that something is growing I have to attack the weeds and make a plan for what to do with the rest of the lawn. I have attached some pictures and am wondering what you would recommend as a plan for this customer.

RigglePLC
04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Install irrigation. If you are not licensed--hire someone to apply crabgrass control, then weed control. You should be sure to apply weed control angain later in year. And also in the fall--dandelions sprout in October and bloom the following spring. Kill them in fall--no problem in spring.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
I would also do a compost overlay followed (or preceeded) by a slice overseed job on that turkey. Do it very early fall or even late summer.

KINGMADE
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Those broad leafs are very easy to kill with 24D. I think speed zone is the best in my opinion but don't breath the stuff in, or get someone else to do it if you don't have a license.

Smallaxe
04-23-2011, 07:49 AM
You said " ... a month before snow...",,, which for us is late Oct./early Nov...

Spraying broadleaf foliage in the fall does the best job for an herbicide to kill.

Why is that true? And it is true BTW, you missed a great opportunity last fall, but the question is.

Why is fall best for killing broadleaf weeds?

On a second note, if you pre-m use the tupersan or sideron, becuz you don't want to send this lawn through the summer w/out a lot of new grass... :)

mikesturf
04-23-2011, 08:10 AM
No one caught this comment:

"This year we got it growing again, by applying some 24-6-8 fertilizer each week for a month"

I'm surprised there is any grass left after doing this!:hammerhead:

TeamLawnCare
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Install irrigation. If you are not licensed--hire someone to apply crabgrass control, then weed control. You should be sure to apply weed control angain later in year. And also in the fall--dandelions sprout in October and bloom the following spring. Kill them in fall--no problem in spring.

There is already an irrigation system installed, the timer wasn't working like they thought it was. I fixed that last fall, I wouldn't have put that much fertilizer down without an ample amount of water. I am not licensed, I looked into it last year but decided against adding application services to my business just yet. I took this project on because it is a family friend and I look as it as an opportunity to grow my knowledge. It seems like I missed a real opportunity last fall, I will make a plan to do some of these things in the fall. What can I do now though? I am planning on applying some 2,4D here this next week to attack the broadleafs. Thanks for the recommendations thus far, this is why I love this site!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Round er up and move em out:)

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Take a soil test ,If its clay it might need lime
I have one customer we seeded there lawn and they didnt want to buy any black dirt.
So every year we plug and lime it and Fertilize,just keep it growing .They wish now they bought the black dirt

nightshutter
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
There is already an irrigation system installed, the timer wasn't working like they thought it was. I fixed that last fall, I wouldn't have put that much fertilizer down without an ample amount of water. I am not licensed, I looked into it last year but decided against adding application services to my business just yet. I took this project on because it is a family friend and I look as it as an opportunity to grow my knowledge. It seems like I missed a real opportunity last fall, I will make a plan to do some of these things in the fall. What can I do now though? I am planning on applying some 2,4D here this next week to attack the broadleafs. Thanks for the recommendations thus far, this is why I love this site!

spray and pull weeds. try a fert that will thicken and make the grass grow. like milorganite or urea or humite ( i think its called) because its so overgrown with weeds i would spot spray and focus and building healthy grass. overseed also

Smallaxe
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
With this kind of growth, mow it and 2 days later, spray it with a good liquid broadleaf spray that professionals use, [by a pro that sprays, not granular] then 2 days later mow again and put down seed...

When the rains have come and settled the seed mulch mow to 3.5 inches high for the rest of the season and worry about crabgrass next year... You shouldn't get much if any, but this lawn needs good turf now...

BTW hold off on the fert until after the heat... You have done quite enough of that for one season, and over irrigating is not a solution for over fertilization...

TeamLawnCare
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Would it be worth it to recommend tearing it out and laying all new sod. With it being such a small area I am tempted to not mess with overseeding, or hydro seeding and just put in a quality sod. I would think I could rent a sod cutter rip it all out in an hour then lay down all new sod and have less than $300 in materials. What are your thoughts on cost effectiveness and replacing the lawn? Should I look into hydro seeding the bare spots?

An update: I mowed it last week and sprayed some 2,4D to kill the broadleafs. But the weather out here is being bipolar, and the lawn is currently covered in half an inch of snow. Yesterday it was 75....:dizzy:

Smallaxe
04-30-2011, 08:11 AM
If you are going to sod it, be sure and till it well add ammendments as needed till it again, soak it down uniformly and rake out any bumps or valleys, once it dries enough to walk on without causing 'puddling' problems under each step.

Be sure the irrigation system is working before the sod, and plan on a bit of Milorganite under the sod, no crabgrass preventer or other herbicides, etc. flood it when it is put in, let it dry enough to roll, then water each morning enough to moistened the ground, and check it again by 1pm and see if it needs another dose... Do not overwater sod either...

It should root enough in 1 week to reduce the water from whatever level is needed at the beginning...

JFGauvreau
04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
I would definitively top dress and over seed this lawn.

THIESSENS TLC
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
A customer wants me to get her lawn growing again, the lawn is almost 3 times as bad as the one in the picture above. 95% weeds 5% grass, any suggestions?
I almost puked when I saw the jungle! would it be better to start fresh with new sod, or could I salvage it?

TeamLawnCare
05-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Update, less then one month later... I did not mow this lawn, the owner has just hired me to improve the lawn. He wants to do the maintenance himself, I am clearing my name of the lawn stripes, lack of edging, and trimming... Overall I think it has a long way to go before it is the nicest lawn on the block but it is improving.

nightshutter
05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Nice job came out great! What did you decide to do to it?

Patriot Services
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
"Nicest lawn on the block". Requires getting off one's wallet. A shame he won't let you add the pro's touch to the details.
Posted via Mobile Device