PDA

View Full Version : Why use an edger???

wild willy
04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Could someone educate me please on the use of an edger..I have been reading these posts for years and have only seen a couple of lco using this piece of equipment. I have only used my trimmer to do edging and have never contemplated using one (edger).
Is this more of an American thing or do Canadians just not care about this sort of thing?
I have never been asked if I use one... or asked to use one on a property...or am I THAT good at using a trimmer alone????LOL

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
04-22-2011, 04:47 PM
If you mow zoysia,you'll love using one ...but theres alot more behind using one...

vencops
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Because my customers care.

You're not as good as my edger.

bjack312
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Down South, we have alot of creeping grass, such as bermuda. It overgrows curbing and sidewalks very rapidly. If you don't edge on a weekly basis, the property will look like crap.

You can accomplish this with a trimmer, but a dedicated edger does a MUCH better job.

BCL Services
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Canadian......oh that explains it.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Could someone educate me please on the use of an edger..I have been reading these posts for years and have only seen a couple of lco using this piece of equipment. I have only used my trimmer to do edging and have never contemplated using one (edger).
Is this more of an American thing or do Canadians just not care about this sort of thing?
I have never been asked if I use one... or asked to use one on a property...or am I THAT good at using a trimmer alone????LOL

Don't worry bro edgers are just as pointless here in America as they are in Canada. There is absolutely no difference in quality in what an edger could do and my edging with my trimmer. If there is any differene my trimmer is doing the better job. The only reason you would need an edger though is for commerical properties where the sidewalk is 100yards long. The way you are less fatigued and you can more or less just walk instead of really concentrating on that edge.

Another reason I find them dumb is while I'm doing my edging, I also do all of my trimming. I also trim over the edges (over the top on the edge of the grass where the mower leaves spots quite often) and so I never end up hitting the same lines twice. I couldn't imagine doing all of your edging up front and on the patio in the back then going BACK to the truck to get a trimmer and essentially walking over everything AGAIN. Total waste of time.

They also may be good use for people who have no idea how to edge with a trimmer. Don't be fooled though, absolutely no difference in quality if you know what you're doing.

-Griffin

ajslands
04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
An edger leaves a much cleaner, more uniform edge, whereas a trimmer does not.
A trimmer is made for evening out the lawn near shrubs, houses, boarders, etc...

vencops
04-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Are we talking about doing things quickly......or, doing them the right way?

ajslands
04-22-2011, 05:34 PM

The right way.

You should post this same comment in the "how many lawns is your record" thread.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Trimmer=
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower028.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower037.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower035.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower040.jpg

Edger? No thanks. :waving:

ajslands
04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Trimmer=

Yea it's only scalped like every 8 or so feet.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:02 PM
lol I knew better than to post pics. Always someone criticizing every little detail other than edging. That's a perfect height to cut. Looks like freaking a perfectly cut piece of carpet. Both clients told me to cut it short, so I did, and it looks great. What else is wrong now??

ajslands
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
lol I knew better than to post pics. Always someone criticizing every little detail other than edging. That's a perfect height to cut. Looks like freaking a perfectly cut piece of carpet. Both clients told me to cut it short, so I did, and it looks great. What else is wrong now??

I was actually talking about the edging. Where the trimmer missed where it was suppose to "edge" and went up on the grass, therfore scapling part of the grass.

Clark Griswold
04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Southern Pride, your edging looks fantastic!

Some people can & some people can't, it's just the way it is!

No use getting in to an arguement with lawnboys that can't!

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Southern Pride, your edging looks fantastic!

Some people can & some people can't, it's just the way it is!

No use getting in to an arguement with lawnboys that can't!

Big WORD on that. This guys got a microscope on my edging. Any little thing he can note to counter the pictures. I appreciate the compliment though. My edging/trimming and overall crispness of cut is what sets me apart. Every guy I've tried to hire amazes me at what they think passes for edging. Constantly have to go behind them. The day I find a good helper is the day I can move a level up.

WJC
04-22-2011, 06:20 PM
When I lived in FL we used an edger on every lawn because St Augustine grass runners are too thick to use a line trimmer. Now in NC I use a line trimmer on all my edges. I used to use an edger, but after awhile you start to have erosion problems along driveways and walkways unless its Bermudagrass. So you actually want to let the grass grow over the edge a little to prevent this from happening. This was a big change for me because I wasn't used to using a line trimmer for edging.

vencops
04-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Why not just buy your helper an edger and not worry about him?

Are we back to the time?

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I was actually talking about the edging. Where the trimmer missed where it was suppose to "edge" and went up on the grass, therfore scapling part of the grass.

As for your criticism there, when I edge I stand in the yard and face the concrete. I hold the trimmer vertically and angle it back a bit towards me so that you're not just barely hitting the edge. Rather my way you're actually pulling back the grass and forming that bit of separation between grass and concrete. When it comes time to blow you blow out all the grass and thus have a nice deep dark edge. The customers eat it up. A little bit of scalping may occur bro, I'm not a miracle worker and an edger sure as hell isn't my answer, I promise ya that.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Why not just buy your helper an edger and not worry about him?

Are we back to the time?

Again, it's just not practical to do all of the edging and then go back to the trailer and go BACK and do all of the weed eating. It's pointless when you can just train the guy to do it all perfectly in one sweep. The problem is I keep getting different helpers, not one specific person. When I do get that specific person they'll be thoroughly trained on how to edge the right way, with a trimmer.

If I was doing a commercial property with 100ft of sidewalk, I'd go buy an edger so they could roll through it without as much fatigue, but other than that, 0 need.

ajslands
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Oh, i use an edger and don't scalp at all, even on a bad day.

nobagger
04-22-2011, 06:26 PM

I counted 4 blades of grass too many in that lawn and it looks too sunny to be mowing thats whats wrong, lol. Looks good. As far as dedicated edgers vs. string trimmer's go, You obviously can have great results with both. Some lawns we use a string trimmer because the lawn sits about 4" higher than the sidewalk and a lot of properties we do are on a corner and a stick edger is twice as fast. I personally think a stick edger is much faster and more consistent.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I counted 4 blades of grass too many in that lawn and it looks too sunny to be mowing thats whats wrong, lol. Looks good. As far as dedicated edgers vs. string trimmer's go, You obviously can have great results with both. Some lawns we use a string trimmer because the lawn sits about 4" higher than the sidewalk and a lot of properties we do are on a corner and a stick edger is twice as fast. I personally think a stick edger is much faster and more consistent.

There you go. Not trying to say a trimmer IS THE BEST NO MATTER WHAT. I'm simply saying FOR ME, an edger would be obsolete. If I was one of these guys that just couldn't figure it out with a trimmer then I'd go get an edger. I also understand certain grasses my need an edger but not any here in Memphis.

ajslands
04-22-2011, 06:34 PM
There you go. Not trying to say a trimmer IS THE BEST NO MATTER WHAT.

Don't worry bro edgers are just as pointless here in America as they are in Canada. There is absolutely no difference in quality in what an edger could do and my edging with my trimmer. If there is any differene my trimmer is doing the better job.

-Griffin

Except here you said it.

vencops
04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey, I'm just hearing you out. If the truth be known, I use a trimmer to finish "edge" beds every week. But, on the drives and walks, I use the stick edger. I agree they both have their place.

I only have a handful of residential properties I maintain. The photo below is one of them...and indicative of the rest.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/williams.jpg

yardguy28
04-22-2011, 06:48 PM

i personally use one for a number of reasons.

one being that i think it provides i nicer, sharper, cleaner looking edge.

for me it's also easier and quicker to edge with an edger than to use the trimmer.

Greg78
04-22-2011, 07:22 PM
As I posted before. Edger first time on property then trimmer with Edgit every week.

This was done with trimmer and Edgit. I haven't used an edger on this property in over a year probably closer to 2.

I haven't had any problems with St. Augustine grass and using a trimmer, of course we do the edges every week even in the winter months when everybody else is doing every other week, all of our full service accounts get a visit every week.

ed2hess
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Quickly is the main objective......if you can't make a good line with trimmer then obviosly you will have to use an edger. No customer in 35 years has complained about how our edges look. And I am not going to make space for a set of edgers in the trailer...costly also.

wild willy
04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I thank you for the input and awesome quality pics of manicured properties BOTH should be proud of your work as I am. I just don't think and edger will give me an edge, but being further educated on other ways of doing things will.I do believe there are several ways of doing things that goes along with comfort level and the ability to make our customers happy, to wit goes dedication and caring for the work............

and yes GO FIGURE..... I am Canadian...fight me for the beaver..... I'll win (lol)

unkownfl
04-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I too can edge just as well with a trimmer while walking on the grass with the trimmer to my left throwing debris forward as compared to edging with a mechanical stick edger. I use the stick edger because of the help its easier to train and that using the line trimmer you must have clearance for the line above the head which is not always possible in every yard. Some people have certain things over hanging the edge lines especially in the beds. Where as, with the line trimmer it will hit such plants the edger won't as it has a guard and only needs 5 inches of vertical clearance. Also, it is very time consuming to edge over grown edges with line and you tend to go through a lot of it. There is also the factor that the line trimmer really can propel small rocks or mulch when using it as an edger pretty far where the edger won't. I pretty much use the edger for everything up front and I use the trimmer in the back for edging, line trimming, and blowing off small areas.

Greg, what areas of SWFL are you maintaining?

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Greg78, what is "EdgeIt" You say you use this combined with your trimmer? Just wondering. Never heard of it.

h2oskier
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Again, it's just not practical to do all of the edging and then go back to the trailer and go BACK and do all of the weed eating. It's pointless when you can just train the guy to do it all perfectly in one sweep. The problem is I keep getting different helpers, not one specific person. When I do get that specific person they'll be thoroughly trained on how to edge the right way, with a trimmer.

If I was doing a commercial property with 100ft of sidewalk, I'd go buy an edger so they could roll through it without as much fatigue, but other than that, 0 need.

Then come on down to West Texas, and see how long you continue to use your trimmer trying to edge.

Get Some...
04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
When you beat the edge with a trimmer....it can destroy the grass root's......just sayin......

An edger once in a while work's well, then trim with a trimmer and cut the grass off without beating up the sod.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Then come on down to West Texas, and see how long you continue to use your trimmer trying to edge.

Why the hell would I come to West Texas?

mnglocker
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
I use my edger once or twice a year to cut back the heavier roots/grass that overgrows the curbs and walks. I also use it for once time "uber" cleanups. Once the edge is established I maintain the edge with my trimmer.

A string trimmer is not practical to try to cut through the sometimes 1-2" thich layer of dirt and roots.

LALawnboy
04-22-2011, 10:36 PM
I've edged with a trimmer for years and can guarantee that my edges look just as good as an edger. HOWEVER, I use an edger for one reason....SPEED. When I'm edging, I'm practically jogging. To get the same results with the trimmer requires a slower walking pace and more concentration. I have never had a person complain about my edges with my trimmer, but I just needed something to go faster and I accomplished that by buying an edger.

For those that say that walking back to the trailer to get the edger takes too much time....seriously? It takes me maybe 30 seconds to a minute to grab the edger or trimmer off the rack.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 10:42 PM
LAlawnboy, I am the one that said that about going back to the trailer, and I hear you. Only 30 seconds. If I had a helper with me constantly it'd be his problem but since I work Solo it would get really old having to do that 40 times a week. I am like you though, do great with just the trimmer. If the edger was a priority at all, I would already have one, but it's not.

unkownfl
04-22-2011, 10:56 PM
If you stop and think for a second you can make your pass with the trimmer and end right back at the truck to grab the next tool. I'm always getting on my guys making extra rounds going back a forth on the yard. Work in a circle and end up where you started.

LALawnboy
04-22-2011, 10:57 PM
LAlawnboy, I am the one that said that about going back to the trailer, and I hear you. Only 30 seconds. If I had a helper with me constantly it'd be his problem but since I work Solo it would get really old having to do that 40 times a week. I am like you though, do great with just the trimmer. If the edger was a priority at all, I would already have one, but it's not.

I honestly thought the same way, but I've been blown away by the speed difference and I feel that it more than makes up the time for going back and grabbing another piece of equipment.

And btw, I'm solo as well.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
And btw, I'm solo as well.

Yeah I figured. I would be interested in trying and edger to see if I can just run with it like some say.

THEGOLDPRO
04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Im glad we dont have to edge in my part of CT.

h2oskier
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Why the hell would I come to West Texas?

When you get the itch to visit, bring your EDGER your going to need it.

Greg78
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Greg, what areas of SWFL are you maintaining?

Cape Coral & N Ft Myers.

Greg78
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Greg78, what is "EdgeIt" You say you use this combined with your trimmer? Just wondering. Never heard of it.

Here is the website. http://edgit.com/
I will not run a trimmer without one.

LALawnboy
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah I figured. I would be interested in trying and edger to see if I can just run with it like some say.

I've learned that the key to being able to move fast is to run WOT (wide open throttle). Plus, it's better for the engine. What's funny is that I never used to run much of my equipment wide open thinking that I would waste gas....not one of my smarter thoughts. I'm not using any more gas than when I would baby the throttle.

ajslands
04-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Where in CT are you?
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
04-22-2011, 11:37 PM
I sold my edger, had some use for it but with most people having blacktop driveways you can't use an edger on I sold it. They are nice to have on Zoysia and Bermuda, but Fescue will get the trimmer.

THEGOLDPRO
04-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Where in CT are you?
Posted via Mobile Device

In the woods, lol we don't have sidewalks around here to edge.

ajslands
04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
In the woods, lol we don't have sidewalks around here to edge.

No realy where you at?
Standford?
Greenwich?
Umm the place where the coast guard station is?
Norwalk?
Hartford?
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I've been looking at this Edgit attachment for trimmers more and more. If I can't find a guy to do a descent edge I will end up buying an stick edger since their essentially idiot proof.

weeze
04-23-2011, 12:21 AM
i use the trimmer for my edges...there are only about 3-5 customers i have where the driveways and walkways need edging...the rest the pavement is higher than the grass or they have a gravel driveway or something...i don't live in a big urban city setting...i also live in the southeast where we cut the grass alot shorter than northern grasses...typically 1.5"-2"...therefore the grass doesn't stick up higher than most driveways or walkways....here's an example:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2rmtvl4.jpg

here's an example of the walkway being higher than the grass:

http://i53.tinypic.com/9aptmr.jpg

grincon
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
I can edge pretty dam good with a trimmer but using an edger(stick) is way easier, safer and yes, idiot proof also.

KINGMADE
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
There you go. Not trying to say a trimmer IS THE BEST NO MATTER WHAT. I'm simply saying FOR ME, an edger would be obsolete. If I was one of these guys that just couldn't figure it out with a trimmer then I'd go get an edger. I also understand certain grasses my need an edger but not any here in Memphis.

You saying that you would use a stick edger for long sections suggest that you know it is not as easy to use the timmer. Not as easy means cost more money. I laugh at companies that edge with string trimmers and I do have customers that specifically asked me if I use a steel blade for edging. Steel blade = perfect and that is what I want to try to give my customers every time. String trimmer = to damn lazy to walk back to the truck. A stick edger would walk circles around your string trimmer. So are you actually saving time not walking back to the truck?

weeze
04-23-2011, 12:39 AM
just for the record walking back to the truck on a 3 acre yard takes more than 30seconds lol....

i might buy an edger one day down the road but they cost alot...almost $400 which is more than a trimmer...the price is kindof steering me away from it right now...maybe in the future i will try it but i need a ztr mower first :)

BINKY1902
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
All the yards I've seen around here with trimmer edges have brown grass tips around the perimeter, as in the string cut is harder on the grass.

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 12:58 AM
You saying that you would use a stick edger for long sections suggest that you know it is not as easy to use the timmer. Not as easy means cost more money. I laugh at companies that edge with string trimmers and I do have customers that specifically asked me if I use a steel blade for edging. Steel blade = perfect and that is what I want to try to give my customers every time. String trimmer = to damn lazy to walk back to the truck. A stick edger would walk circles around your string trimmer. So are you actually saving time not walking back to the truck?

LOL nope I'm not suggesting it's any better. I suggested that because it's less fatigue'ing holding an edger rather than a trimmer vertically. I believe me+trimmer= best results by far.
I could care less what your customers asked for and also what you think of me using my trimmer. Neither one makes someone "professional" anymore than other. It's all about the final product, and for me, that's with a trimmer.

You should learn not to make blind generalized comments that are far from true. You're asking if I save time not having to walk the complete yard twice because I do it all with a trimmer PERFECTLY? Hmmm...I'll let you guess that one.

I've learned so much from this site but it really gets old. Grown ass men sitting here whining at midnight about how they're soo much more professional and perfect because they use a "edger" I tried them back when I was a kid. They were a waste of time for ME. Personally I just think it's an idiot proof way to edge. Srsly though the ignorant statements get old.

KINGMADE
04-23-2011, 01:26 AM
LOL nope I'm not suggesting it's any better. I suggested that because it's less fatigue'ing holding an edger rather than a trimmer vertically. I believe me+trimmer= best results by far.
I could care less what your customers asked for and also what you think of me using my trimmer. Neither one makes someone "professional" anymore than other. It's all about the final product, and for me, that's with a trimmer.

You should learn not to make blind generalized comments that are far from true. You're asking if I save time not having to walk the complete yard twice because I do it all with a trimmer PERFECTLY? Hmmm...I'll let you guess that one.

I've learned so much from this site but it really gets old. Grown ass men sitting here whining at midnight about how they're soo much more professional and perfect because they use a "edger" I tried them back when I was a kid. They were a waste of time for ME. Personally I just think it's an idiot proof way to edge. Srsly though the ignorant statements get old.

Ok srsly though. I have trimmers and edgers. I think I have a better idea of which one is better than you. Since you havent used one since you are a kid and all. An edger is faster and leaves perfect lines. What is there to argue. Oh a short walk back to the truck.. where you would be going to put up your trimmer anyway. Oh whats that.. a drive way and walkway right by your truck? Oh gosh. What am I to do. Oh yeah. I will stand here for 10 minutes looking like and idiot and breaking my back at the same time to prove a point.

2brothersyardcare
04-23-2011, 07:04 AM

relay? were always edging

a clear difference lawn
04-23-2011, 08:08 AM
After reading this thread I think it is pretty obvious that it depends on the type of grass you are cutting as well as the setup of the lawns. I am not trying to offend anyone, but there is no way anyone could edge some of my thick st. augustine lawns as well and as fast with a string trimmer as I do with my edger. On some of them, the grass is five inches off the curb and thick thick thick. Sometimes the edger even boggs after one weeks growth. Now on the bermuda and zoysia lawns, or even thinner grass mixtures - I believe it might be possible. I, personally, have to walk backwards to edge with a string trimmer, so I try to avoid it. I do all curbs, flower beds, tree rings etc with a stick edger. If you come down to Orlando you will see all the big companies (brickman, valley crest etc) do the sme thing. Around here I never see anyone edging with a string trimmer. However, on lawns with thinner grass that are maintained regularly, I think it is possible. I do have to admit, that if the grass is not too thick I can edge fast enough with my stick edger that I almost have to jog to keep up. Someone would have to have mad skills to be as fast with a string trimmer.

ajslands
04-23-2011, 10:15 AM
relay? were always edging

It's all hills in CT
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
04-23-2011, 10:46 AM
After reading this thread I think it is pretty obvious that it depends on the type of grass you are cutting as well as the setup of the lawns. I am not trying to offend anyone, but there is no way anyone could edge some of my thick st. augustine lawns as well and as fast with a string trimmer as I do with my edger. On some of them, the grass is five inches off the curb and thick thick thick. Sometimes the edger even boggs after one weeks growth. Now on the bermuda and zoysia lawns, or even thinner grass mixtures - I believe it might be possible. I, personally, have to walk backwards to edge with a string trimmer, so I try to avoid it. I do all curbs, flower beds, tree rings etc with a stick edger. If you come down to Orlando you will see all the big companies (brickman, valley crest etc) do the sme thing. Around here I never see anyone edging with a string trimmer. However, on lawns with thinner grass that are maintained regularly, I think it is possible. I do have to admit, that if the grass is not too thick I can edge fast enough with my stick edger that I almost have to jog to keep up. Someone would have to have mad skills to be as fast with a string trimmer.

You said it all, I cut grass down there for 20 years before moving up here and I totally agree with what you're saying.

zopi
04-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Scored a husky 385 curb hopper @ yardsale yesterday...sweet...
Have, in every lawn service, used an edger...does not take long, customers appreciate it, and I do not have to wind as much trimmer string...
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
04-23-2011, 01:55 PM
No realy where you at?
Standford?
Greenwich?
Umm the place where the coast guard station is?
Norwalk?
Hartford?
Posted via Mobile Device

Southbury.

Roachy
04-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I can edge pretty well with my string trimmer and cant imagine doing too much of a better job with an edger. Im sure it might take a little longer with a string trimmer but not sure if im willing to spend the extra $400. The only reason I would get one would be for the edging on mulch beds. Do you guys find that an edger saves a lot of time and makes nice straight lines on bed edging compared to using a flat shovel??

KINGMADE
04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I can edge pretty well with my string trimmer and cant imagine doing too much of a better job with an edger. Im sure it might take a little longer with a string trimmer but not sure if im willing to spend the extra $400. The only reason I would get one would be for the edging on mulch beds. Do you guys find that an edger saves a lot of time and makes nice straight lines on bed edging compared to using a flat shovel??

I think it would work well with the right blade. Just pick up a used stihl for 100-150 and give it a go.

yardguy28
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Quickly is the main objective......if you can't make a good line with trimmer then obviosly you will have to use an edger. No customer in 35 years has complained about how our edges look. And I am not going to make space for a set of edgers in the trailer...costly also.

for me it's more about quality than quickness. but everyone runs there business differently.......

If you stop and think for a second you can make your pass with the trimmer and end right back at the truck to grab the next tool. I'm always getting on my guys making extra rounds going back a forth on the yard. Work in a circle and end up where you started.

exactly how i work the whole property when mowing. with whatever i do, in most cases i start at the trailer and end at the trailer. i start with edging WITH my edger. when i'm done i'm right at the trailer to grab the trimmer, do the trimming then bam back at the trailer to get the mower, mowing done at the trailer to grab the blower, done back at the trailer hope in the truck onto the next job.

dgw
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM

no, a regular edger wont create a bed edge

you need a bed shaper or i have a walker attachment for it, and i edge the grass from beds with a trimmer

i dont use an edger for the couple resi s i have or small commercial

but i have properties with miles of concrete edges , and no way im doing it with a trimmer
'
'i have walk behind edgers for that

and those are half day properties anyway so im not in a huge rush

dctexans
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I used to be HUGE on using an edger...then i started doing it with a trimmer to save time...a little practice goes a long way. I love using my trimmer to make lawns look like carpet...just posted my $350 edger on craigslist. don't think i'll need an edger any more, however some new clients i picked up have never edged before and the grass is grown over the sidewalk like an inch or two, this is when you need an edger because it wears out your trimmer and eats your line up plus burns alot of gas

TuffWork
05-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Hey, I'm just hearing you out. If the truth be known, I use a trimmer to finish "edge" beds every week. But, on the drives and walks, I use the stick edger. I agree they both have their place.

I only have a handful of residential properties I maintain. The photo below is one of them...and indicative of the rest.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/williams.jpg

I use a trimmer. The help uses a stick edger. (when I do it with the trimmer it looks better)

Every time I use the edger I think it looks like crap, but one of my helpers uses it and it looks amazing every time. He takes twice as long to do it though.

Still think a trimmer is better AND faster if you are good at it. However, my response is based upon my local grass types alone. Try cutting an inch or two of bermuda off the sidewalk with an edger.

People who are edger die hards need to get off it a little. We all do things how we do them because it is the way our customers like them done and it is what has made us successful. Period.

rain man
05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Edger here. Easy to use, fast, cost effective, and consistant uniform professional finish. Does a good job on bermuda, centipede, and St. Augustine.

944own
05-20-2011, 12:47 AM
I edge with a trimmer and I have a stick edger the reason I dont use it people say its idiot proof but every time I use it the thing digs so deep and just makes such a mess of dirt and mud. Also for people edging around mulch beds with a trimmer what is the best method to do this without getting grass all in the beds.

Agape
05-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Trimmer=

looks choppy even at the angle you've selected to take the pic from, take a pic looking straight down the edge so we can get the same reaction as the HO when they walk by.

SeasonGreen
11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
` 890-=2`1

Snyder's Lawn Inc
11-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Same here ppl ask me if I use a edger or a trimmer
I get more jobs cause I use a edger Its a clean cut 90 degree cut
I walk as fast I can with a stick Edger We always edge before we mow so if there any heavy build up the mow will mulch it up and most time only have to edge at least every 3 weeks
With edging saves on trimming time

Snyder's Lawn Inc
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
looks choppy even at the angle you've selected to take the pic from, take a pic looking straight down the edge so we can get the same reaction as the HO when they walk by.

looks like bare dirt showing to me seen this at louisville Ky everywhere doesnt look clean