PDA

View Full Version : What's the best parts of this book?

starry night
04-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I just received my new copy of "The Landscape Lighting Book" by Janet Lennox-Moyer. I haven't started to read it yet so I will just tuck it under my arm as I visit my first client.......
...........Seriously, for those who have this book, what chapters are the most useful in your opinion?

jlouki01
04-22-2011, 09:08 PM
pictures and schematics.

Tomwilllight
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
There is no unimportant chapter in Jan's text, but most of us don't need the detail in the section on Corrosion. That chapter was originally aimed at luminaire manufacturers who read it and responded by giving us much more durable equipment.

Her photos are very instructive and are worth the time you spend figuring out how she did it.

Please remember, Wiley is a college text book publisher. The Landscape Lighting Book is a college level text book and is rated as a 3rd (Junior) year level text. I'm certainly not saying it is impossible to read, I am saying it will be more technical than... say an article in This Old House Magazine.

I suggest you go the Amazon.com listing for Jan's book and read the reviews; they may help you.

Tom

BTW: Wiley has asked Jan for a 3rd edition and she is working on it. It will include a lot of information on LEDs and be full of wonderful photographs by George Gruel.

starry night
04-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks Tom. I didn't know Wiley was a textbook publisher but I noticed as soon as I opened it that it was textbook-level.
Lots to absorb. If the new one, with LED info, were coming out soon, I would have elected to wait for it.

Tomwilllight
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Well the best news is that you will have a pile of good photos to review and learn from. Both the 1st and 2nd editions are useful. I would have advised you to buy the 1st edition used and saved your money for the 3rd.

But the fact is, I'm not sure what the publication date for the 3rd edition will be. I know Jan's researching the LED section like crazy and has published several articles on LEDs.

Tom