PDA

View Full Version : This $#%^#@^@ Rain!!!!

rywnygc
04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I finally got to work the last two days, but they were small jobs. I have so many big jobs lined up, but cant get to them because the lawns are soaked.

Why is it that the crap lawns are nice and dry, yet the lawns around the big money houses (and jobs) can't drain for crap? A week without rain would be amazing.

On the other hand, the jobs I've done the last two days have come out great. I finally pursuaded my customer to let me take out a 15' Arb that looked like a bag of smashed azz today. After taking it out, it looks soooo much better. Once every thing is done and planted in a couple weeks, I may post some b4 and after pics. I just wish this stupid Western New York spring rain would let up a bit.

Pointless thread, I know....but so are 80% of the others..lol

topsites
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM

You won't get much argument out of me there.

ajslands
04-22-2011, 06:51 PM

Ain't that the truth! :laugh:

nobagger
04-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I feel ya! Its been nothing but rain, rain, rain here too. There's nothing better than laying mulch in wet snow at 9am.

JB1
04-22-2011, 08:36 PM
go cry to the guys in Texas.

Baytownlawncare
04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Send it to Texas! Man we need the rain!

mattfromNY
04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm with ya!! Yesterday we mulched beds... Rain at 8am, snow by 10, all the while 50 mph winds. Just as we broke for lunch around 1pm the sun shined bright and looked promising. Then, just as we stepped out of Taco Hell to resume work.... more snow! Wind and rain again today....looks like chance of rain every day for at least the next 7 days. UGGHHHHH

Bumpmaster
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Atleast when it is raining the grass is not growing.

R & R Yard Designs
04-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Grass is not growing at all up this way. Not yet but I will take off next week when it gets in the high 60s.
Posted via Mobile Device

rywnygc
04-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I wont be mowing for another week and a half or so yet. I'm just glad I've been able to do the work I've done. My first winter in WNY, so it's been really long. My buddy back in Indiana has been doing everthing but major planting for almost 3 weeks now.

elitelawnteam1
04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I finally got to work the last two days, but they were small jobs. I have so many big jobs lined up, but cant get to them because the lawns are soaked.

That's my story too, if i aerated in the rain (which i've seen other companies do) i'd be practically tilling their lawn.

i just need 1 dry week please...?

swhittington
04-22-2011, 11:52 PM
just wondering if anyone has had a problem with a mower running hot I have a 26hp kawasuki skag wildcat I just had the radiator cleaned and it is still running hot do you think it would be ok to run without radiator

ajslands
04-23-2011, 12:05 AM
If you wanna mow in the rain, wear a wetsuit :D
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
04-23-2011, 12:08 AM
it rained 2 days this week in a row and everything is still kindof wet...mowed 3 days of yards in one day today trying to catch up lol

ajslands
04-23-2011, 12:11 AM
it rained 2 days this week in a row and everything is still kindof wet...mowed 3 days of yards in one day today trying to catch up lol

Did you wear a wetsuit
:laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Wet and cold here, too cold for this time of year.

But hey, Texas is worse off.
Those southern states with all those nado's and severe weather are worse off.
I guess I'll zip my lip.

weeze
04-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Did you wear a wetsuit
:laughing:
Posted via Mobile Device

no!!! lol...it was like 82 degrees today..getting hot already

sunny days 101
04-23-2011, 08:45 AM
this rain sucks! More coming next week--at this point cat tails will start growing in my yard and my employees might leave for a different line of work--got 100 spring cleans or more to do....will go bankrupt waiting to work!

MOW ED
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I have to say I feel for you but last week after I had many many spring cleans done we got 10.1 inches of wet heavy SNOW. April freakin 19th. The ground is so wet we need 80 degrees for a week just to dry it out. Last year was the best spring I ever had and this year is bar none the worst.

Kelly's Landscaping
04-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Our first week of cuts more then a week later then last season and we don't even get to finish them. This is the year with out a spring today its raining but yesterday it wasn't just the typical mid 40s all day and I am sick of freezing my azz off on the mower. And its still hit or miss here some have no growth others have normal and then there are the nightmare lawns. Filled the barrel on my trac vac 6 times on a lawn yesterday that was perhaps 15,000 sqft and the sick part was I raised the deck to 4 inches to do it.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Well please send some down this way! I have done nothing but breath/choke/gag on dust for weeks now it is so dry and no rain in site!

SouthSide Cutter
04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Worked real late Thursday and son helped me get done. And it has rained and is suppose to keep raining till Wed. Mowers look like they have been in a mud bog. Yards will be so soft a lot will not be able to be cut next week. Seems like you get to much or not enough anymore.

rywnygc
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
beautiful weather today. Its near 70 and sunny....

But we got a couple inches of rain last night and everything is soaked yet again. This is my first real season on my own. I worked last year, but wasn't completely legit and I didnt have a ton of work, as I started in early june. I really got a lot of word of mouth referrals this season (kinda blows my mind how quickly it took off), so I have enough work to keep me very busy. I know it will get done soon, but wet yards are really starting to get old.

And yes, I know, Texas has it worse, but I'm not in Texas. Gotta go, it's beer-thirty.

SLMGT
04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Sometimes it just feels good to vent. The tide will turn.:weightlifter:

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Sometimes it just feels good to vent. The tide will turn.:weightlifter:

SLMGT, are you all as dry in Savannah as it is here?

ZMAX
04-23-2011, 06:20 PM
70% chance of rain for the next 5-6 days and nights! great, already have standing water everywhere.

R & R Yard Designs
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Skilling has chicagoland down for 2-7 inches of rain for the next seven days, have fun guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityLawnCare4u
04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Alright, you guys just rub it in!:)

GravelyWoman
04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Yards in South Alabama are dry, brittle and burned up! Breathing in the dust and grass is just about to choke me to death! If anybody has any suggestions for a breathing mask let me know!:confused:

gravelyman50
04-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Atleast when it is raining the grass is not growing. LMFAO!!!:hammerhead::dizzy:

JoeKuhl
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I know what you mean by all the rain. Here in Illinois we have been getting tons of rain. Last nigh we got 4", today at least 3", and they expect at least 8" more before it is done. I have a lot of yards to mow and not to mention a big Landscaping job that needs to be done in two weeks. I tried to work on it today but they yard was absolute mush.

Lawnut101
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
It's supposed to rain everyday of this next week. I have plenty of work lined up, but can't get to it... We are gonna have to fertilize in the rain I guess.

chris@perfectlawncare
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Why is it that the crap lawns are nice and dry, yet the lawns around the big money houses (and jobs) can't drain for crap? A week without rain would be amazing.

On the other hand, the jobs I've done the last two days have come out great. I finally pursuaded my customer to let me take out a 15' Arb that looked like a bag of smashed azz today. After taking it out, it looks soooo much better. Once every thing is done and planted in a couple weeks, I may post some b4 and after pics. I just wish this stupid Western New York spring rain would let up a bit.

I'm two weeks out on all my lawns... its supposed to rain until Thursday. People aren't happy... at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

R & R Yard Designs
04-23-2011, 11:45 PM
well its raining agian out right now, with much more on its way

ZMAX
04-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm two weeks out on all my lawns... its supposed to rain until Thursday. People aren't happy... at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

well you could just mow and create tracks and ruts everywhere, maybe they would like that instead? lol

JoeKuhl
04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
the rain here in Southern Illinois just keeps coming. We have had well over a foot in the last 4 to 5 days, and more is on the way, if I could find a way to send some out to everyone else I would do it. My yard is so soft you can't even walk on it with out sinking at least 3 or more inches, and I live on a hill with witch is well drained!

R & R Yard Designs
04-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Raining good out again. Looks like we are planting in the mud and rain on Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

chris@perfectlawncare
04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
well you could just mow and create tracks and ruts everywhere, maybe they would like that instead? lol

Yeah that's what I said. I have to borrow a friend's lazer z because my belt driven metro just makes noise in the rain... no grass gets cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Feast or famine for rain. We are on extra long feast but we don't need the additional 6 of the next 7 days of rain. It is miserable. I just did some work however. A senior citizen customer had her gutters overflowing and needed help. 5 minutes with the Redmax and the problem is solved. Thats about all I can do for another week. We got an inch of rain in the last 4 hours.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Feast or famine for rain. We are on extra long feast but we don't need the additional 6 of the next 7 days of rain. It is miserable. I just did some work however. A senior citizen customer had her gutters overflowing and needed help. 5 minutes with the Redmax and the problem is solved. Thats about all I can do for another week. We got an inch of rain in the last 4 hours.

You guys got HAMMERED with snow this winter, didn't you?

sunny days 101
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
we got lots in michigan i know. barely survived all the storms--the one in february was the worst i have ever seen in my entire life. it actually became a liability issue and we had to send our employees home because the weather was so bad.

MOW ED
04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
You guys got HAMMERED with snow this winter, didn't you?

I would say HAMMERED is the perfect word. I think we got most of the snow in April. These pictures are from our latest 10.1 inches that we got on April 12th. On top of all that melting over the last week we got 1.72 inches of rain yesterday and more coming tomorrow. I am so far behind I can't imagine how much money I have lost. The bottom picture is snow blurred by my tears.

We may have a summer but I know we didn't have a spring.

ed2hess
04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I would say HAMMERED is the perfect word. I think we got most of the snow in April. These pictures are from our latest 10.1 inches that we got on April 12th. On top of all that melting over the last week we got 1.72 inches of rain yesterday and more coming tomorrow. I am so far behind I can't imagine how much money I have lost. The bottom picture is snow blurred by my tears.

We may have a summer but I know we didn't have a spring.

Thanks for posting the pictures we don't see handly any of either. I don't remember not being able to mow because it was raining.