PDA

View Full Version : Hydrostatic sit-downs

adforester
04-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a scag freedom z 48" sit down mower and was wondering how everyone else fares on hills that have hydrostatic sit downs?

I went to mow a new clients lawn that is steep and noticed that my wheel produ ces ruts from when the wheels loose traction going upill. Going downhill with the mower made you loose control even quicker. Is it because I weigh so much?
I've seen lil equadorians on a "surfer" mower which seemed to do well going down hills that I didn't think mine would be capable of going down!

Also my front tires are producing ruts too when they need to turn sharply.(?)

Just seemed like any turn I made today produced marks on the lawn. Is it because of my mower? Imean I thought i was going slowly, I wasn't even trying to do a zero turn with it?

adforester
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
The grass/bare dirt surfaces were wet today, I couldn't do a zero turn anywhere.

Just wondering, does anyone do zeru turn everytime they make a 180 turn?
Is that what I should be doing?

weeze
04-23-2011, 02:01 AM
when it's wet or moist i do 3 point turns also called Y turns...if it's dry i do zero turns...alot of people do zero turns wrong...they key is to almost come to a complete stop or you can even completely stop before you do your 180 turn...if you just keep going forward and then turn the inside wheel tends to stay still during the turn and rips the turf up...if you stop or almost stop then the inside wheel turns backwards while the outside wheel goes forwards which is the correct way and it doesn't damage the turf.

topsites
04-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Yeh it's the dunlap disease lol I'm sorry it was hard to resist.

pugs
04-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone,
I have a scag freedom z 48" sit down mower and was wondering how everyone else fares on hills that have hydrostatic sit downs?

I went to mow a new clients lawn

There's your problem. You bought a homeowner mower to use commercially.

adforester
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I thought all hydrostatic mowers were the same on hills? ...sucky
Last I checked my mower says SCAG on it, I think that means commercial

Patriot Services
04-23-2011, 06:14 PM
The Scag Freedom series is listed as high end residential or light commercial. Regardless most hydros have a hard time holding steep hills. Scags do pretty well, my cub has no problem. Keep practicing, it takes a learned touch. Y or K turns are least apt to tear the turf. But again practice is the key. No you cannot do a 180 pivot turn on any mower and not rip the turf.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Where are you GMLC??? Tell him what he's got. An "entry level Scag"!!

:laugh:

adforester
04-23-2011, 09:34 PM
LOL gmlc?
I like the freedom even compaired to enmark's

pugs
04-24-2011, 12:27 PM

I think that means its made by SCAG. It has a shortened commercial warranty for a reason and a special warranty for Homeowner use. It doesnt have the Velocity deck that they are known for. It has smaller tires than all of their other ZTR's which probably makes it worse on hills. It has engine options that are not commercial engines.

adforester
04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
hmm I'm just thinking that the narrower the tire the more traction it would get, like when your four-wheeling right? it digs in better?
I wonder if I could get bigger tires for it? ...if tires would mean better traction on hills?

StanWilhite
04-24-2011, 03:32 PM
LOL gmlc?
I like the freedom even compaired to enmark's

Inside joke. :)

BINKY1902
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Scag builds homeowner machines too.