PDA

View Full Version : Running trimmer without guard

Pages : [1] 2

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Several guys here run trimmers with a lot of line out and no trim guard for large area's such as hillsides, ditches, etc. I'm sure it's not the safest method but many of them swear by this method for larger area's that may not be accessible by ZTR, wb, etc.. Your thoughts? Have you or would you use this method?

THEGOLDPRO
04-22-2011, 11:47 PM
first thing i do when i get a new trimmer is throw the shield in the garbage.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Yea the guard is the first thing to come off when I buy a new trimmer. Just make sure to put it back on if you ever take it to the dealer.

It's one of those things, once you use it off you wonder how or why you ever left the guard on before.

zak406
04-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Couldnt agree with you more man lol. I have one trimmer with a guard on mostly because I dont use it!

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
lol goldpro beat me to it.

Jamie22
04-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Yep i couldnt agree more.

tacoma200
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Wow I was expecting a bunch of negative responses due to safety or liability. Thanks for the input.

Jamie22
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Dont really protect alot or atleast I dont think so...

zak406
04-22-2011, 11:56 PM
If you run a trimmer with a guard on I find you dont really need safety glasses, however I still wear mine all the time!

THEGOLDPRO
04-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Yea the guard is the first thing to come off when I buy a new trimmer. Just make sure to put it back on if you ever take it to the dealer.

It's one of those things, once you use it off you wonder how or why you ever left the guard on before.

i have never put a guard back on when i have them serviced, In fact no one i know has guards on there trimmers and the dealers never ask why they are off, They dont really care.

Southern Pride
04-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah I've found I randomly get pelted in the face no matter what. The guard only lets you have like an inch of string which is just impossible. There is a length without the guard that's just past where the guard would have normally stopped it that's perfect for edging or trimming.

THEGOLDPRO
04-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Try and trim a grave yard with a guard on and you will see why i throw mine out.

siclmn
04-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Without the guard you don't have a line cutter. So how do you cut the line?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-23-2011, 01:12 AM
If you run a trimmer with a guard on I find you dont really need safety glasses, however I still wear mine all the time!

Not true, man I won't touch any string trimmer without a quality pair of safety specs on, and hearing protection.

ajslands
04-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Make sure you don't hit any dog ****!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
04-23-2011, 01:19 AM

Your teeth!
Or a knife works too.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Actually you do need to keep ANY part you remove in case you ever go to sell it,
because when a machine still has all its parts it shows the owner cared
at least that much more than the owner who threw something away.

Same reason why I have every owner's and operator's and parts manual.

dishboy
04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Actually you do need to keep ANY part you remove in case you ever go to sell it,
because when a machine still has all its parts it shows the owner cared
at least that much more than the owner who threw something away.

Same reason why I have every owner's and operator's and parts manual.

Why in the heck would I want to sell it?

cutbetterthanyou
04-23-2011, 09:07 AM

Don't take this wrong because it isn't intended to be smart i just don't really know how else to word it , but once you learn how to use the trimmer you will not be hitting the button and letting string out all the time. The only time i cut my string is when i spool it up, and that is just to make both strings the same lenght. I acutally use it till the string shortens up then tap it to let a little more out when needed. During the learning curve i turned it on its side and ran the string in the concrete till it shorten.

Think Green
04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Finally, Someone explained it..................CUTBETTERTHANYOU!!!

The shield only protects the user from backflying debris. It has everything to do with forward thrust as the splash plate on a spreader would do. What falls on the curved plate will the thrust forward by the inertia. As far as keeping the line at a nominal length, concrete cuts it well or other safe hard surface. Knowing how to run a piece of equipment is different than using one. Most of our properties have bare root trees and shrubbery planted in clusters and often need to be line trimmed close to the trunks. With the guard on...........I couldn't tell you how many times I slit the bark. It took me a little while to get adjusted to the method............but once you get it then you will fly like the wind..........even at edging. When edging be assured that objects either in front and back of you will get a line drive shot with a rock, so keep your eyes peeled for cars, pedestrians, and pets........CHILDREN especially. Use the machine with common sense and everyone will be fine.
Keep the guard stored........use it on the machine a couple of times to make it dirty and grimy so when you need something done the dealer won't blow his fuse on you. Problem solved.

JPsDuramax
04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I've always kept my guards on. Just depends on how you get used to using them. To each their own.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcw615
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, loose the guard.

freshprince94
04-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't use a guard. Much easier to run line out and the trimmer fits in tight areas much easier. The guard never did anything to shield me anyways, I still took a rock that gashed my leg open using a trimmer with a guard.

williams lcm
04-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Dealer says that longer line will wear out engine more. It will put more stress on motor than it was designed for.I dont know if this is true. I always take mine off.

coreisntlife
04-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Dealer says that longer line will wear out engine more. It will put more stress on motor than it was designed for.I dont know if this is true. I always take mine off.

if that was true, then running the trimmer in thick tall grass everyday would have the same effect. i dont know why the dealer would care if the guard was removed. i find it nearly impossible to run a trimmer with a guard on. you cant see your edge, and if you trim around a lot of plants you cant you the back of the string to get up next to them.

dtc0207
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Try and trim a grave yard with a guard on and you will see why i throw mine out.

I understand the brands with really wide guards but please explain how a guard like Echo or redness gets in the way
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
04-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Just make sure to put it back on if you ever take it to the dealer.

In that case you'll have a well used looking trimmer with a spotlessly clean guard on it. :D

SouthSide Cutter
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
I use to run with guards off and use 105 line. I just cut the line with side cuts. I will argue with anyone and prove it. Its not how much line you have out, its how good the end of the string is. When I got the new trimmers I left the guards on and went back to 095 line. And would just tap them when doing the grave yards every so often. It really cut my time down and really nothing is in the way. And I still get chit thrown in my face with the guard on.

greenstar lawn
04-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I cant believe how many ppl run with-out them on you guys are idiots, dont you know that you will burn your clutch faster, your dealer won't warranty them if you bring it up there with no guard, and i don't even want to get into how many windows you will break, or having bloody shins.

Ha yeah right first thing I do is take that damn thing off and toss it in the trash. Never had a problem at the dealer with bringing them in for warranty work.

RTR Landscaping
04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
During the warranty period, its best to leave them on. According to my dealer, if it comes into his shop without the guard, it voids the warranty.We leave ours on,no problems.

Jims Lawncare
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I leave mine on and have no problems trimming around anything, I been using Stihl trimmers for 15 years and have never took a guard off. I also wear saftey glasses even with the guard on.

jtsnipe
04-24-2011, 09:30 AM
The only reason I can think of to leave the guard on is liability if someone or something were hurt or broke.An insurance company mite take issue if safety shields are altered or removed,I know OHSA would.I leave mine on and its only a inconvenience in a few spots.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I use a Edgit on one trimmer and the other uses nothing. It makes it easy to get in tight areas without a guard. I VERY rarely have the throttle remotely close to WOT. I use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle ALL the time. Basically I use enough throttle to trim the grass blades and that's it. No need to walk around at WOT all the time. That's when stuff flys and you wind up breaking a window or something.

ALC-GregH
04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I leave mine on and have no problems trimming around anything, I been using Stihl trimmers for 15 years and have never took a guard off. I also wear saftey glasses even with the guard on.

Jim, I'm quoting you more to ask what you're pulling with the Scag in your avatar? Is that the drum spiked aerator? Do they work remotely as good as a plug type?

THEGOLDPRO
04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I understand the brands with really wide guards but please explain how a guard like Echo or redness gets in the way
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you ever trimmed a graveyard?

Sammy
04-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I have always left the guard on. I see no reason too take it off.

fireman gus
04-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I always have the gaurd on the trimmer I use. My son, on the other hand, has the shield off the trimmer he uses. No question ask when we take them to the dealership for a problem. Guess it all depends on what you perfer.

WJC
04-24-2011, 12:34 PM

Me too, I run .080 line so I can run it longer. A friend of mine got stopped by someone from the county or city for not running it though. But I have never had anyone say anything to me.

Tuna3679
04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
My two cents...

1. My guys have dedicated equipment, which helps make sure they take care of it, so it's up to them whether they want it on or not. My personal preference is to not have it on, the safety is not really an issue as an experienced operator will not be hitting rocks and such.

2. There is increased wear on the engine but really we replace line trimmers about every 18-24 months anyways so it's not that big of a deal.

3. Some dealers will refuse warranty work if you take a guard off but I've found that a dealer who wants to keep the thousands of dollars spent on equipment at his store coming in every year will overlook it.

Sackett
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
My $.02,

Removing the guard INCREASES the efficiency of both the trimmer line and the trimmer. Your spool of line will last twice as long on a guardless trimmer due to the lack of a blade cutting 3-8 inches of line each time the advance is hit. If mowing around lakes, ditches and other areas, your guys get done faster, meaning less cost in wage/income to you, the employer.

When talking about a $325 trimmer, I could care less about voided warranties.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
My guards stay on, mostly for liablility reasons. The guards on my Shindaiwa's don't get in the way much as far as seeing what I'm doing but it does make it more difficult to trim around trees and posts etc since you can't trim with the back side at all. But I've just got too much to lose to be removing safety equipment from my machines. I did remove the lower portion of the guard on my FS 110 bike handle trimmer though...kind of like a skirt thing....it kept the string wayyyy too short for a unit that size....like silly short.

shadrach
04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
echo gt-200 curved shaft trimmers with no guards. Better balance w/o the guard and can use it in place of a push mower in a lot of places. It voids the warranty but to me the increased efficiency is well worth it. Takes me 18-24 months to burn one up, I keep 1 straight shaft w the guard on it on the truck for heavier stuff but only gets used once or twice a week. I've been working off of the same big roll of .85 line for 2.5 years. I use safety glasses when edging because it seems to kick up more w/o the guard. There is a bit of a learning curve on keeping the line at the right length, but once you figure it out it seems so much quicker & easier.

MJB
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I hate the guards have not used one in 15 yrs. Instead I use the Edgit on all my trimmers I let out about 1 to 2 INCHES past the Edgit. Some trimmers are not powerful enoughto do that But my Echo 260T do very well.

cutbetterthanyou
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't see how you guys running guards think that by taking it off puts a strain on the engine. I run my string almost the same lengh you do. Once again if you know how to use it you will not have 2 foot of string whipping. I also don't understand running it 1/2 or 1/4 open. The only time i do that is around delicate things. Its 2 stroke its made to be ran hard, ask anyone that races motorcross. If you don't run it hard it is getting less fuel, but also less oil. How can WOT be hard on it when it is lubercating it more?

I don't run one because :

#1 It gets in the way, and if you move at any faster than a turtles pace than you WILL at some point hit the ground with the corner of the sheild, then the trimmer will turn on its side, and then scalp. I can run while trimming and edging (WOT and no sheild). To me it is about doing a good job, but if you aren't fast your not making money, got to be efficent

#2 It doesn't really sheild anything anyway your going to be cover with grass and hit by rocks. It's part of it, quit whining. Do you think welders don't get burnt from sparks, or a painter never gets paint on there clothes?

#3 If it is at all wet outside it will start to collect grass making the trimmer front heavy. When off my trimmer is balanced almost perfect when holding it with one hand at the throttle.(Which makes bending over to trim deep ditchs much easier.

I really can't see any advantage to having it on.

Johnagain
04-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I was awarded a nice little settlement from a LCO not using guards. Rocks came flying through my side window and dented up both front and rear passenger doors. I don't know what OSHA had to say about it but I'm sure that company will probably not take the guards off anymore. If you take the guards off you have removed a safety device and WILL loose all lawsuits against you. If an employee gets hurt with the guard removed. He can sue you for everything you have. Just something for you to think about.

Think Green
04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I cant believe how many ppl run with-out them on you guys are idiots, dont you know that you will burn your clutch faster, your dealer won't warranty them if you bring it up there with no guard, and i don't even want to get into how many windows you will break, or having bloody shins.

Ha yeah right first thing I do is take that damn thing off and toss it in the trash. Never had a problem at the dealer with bringing them in for warranty work.

Don't know what series of line trimmers you use, but our stihls--KM90R's are each 4 years old with no guards. They are still cutting. It has been my observation that machines will burn out clutches when you treat them with the chain saw or motorcycle mentality. I mean------to diddle the throttle like a chainsaw. This will burn out a clutch faster than just running the thing in full blast. I don't care what the dealers say...........I do my own repairs,etc.
As far as the warranty......put the guard back on before you have it serviced/

tacoma200
04-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Don't know what series of line trimmers you use, but our stihls--KM90R's are each 4 years old with no guards. They are still cutting. It has been my observation that machines will burn out clutches when you treat them with the chain saw or motorcycle mentality. I mean------to diddle the throttle like a chainsaw. This will burn out a clutch faster than just running the thing in full blast. I don't care what the dealers say...........I do my own repairs,etc.
As far as the warranty......put the guard back on before you have it serviced/

Ok, I'm curious about your location. Where is Rice country? Arkansas, Louisiana

Think Green
04-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I personally and our crews over the years have run the stihls, the echo's, the john deere's and never--ever replaced a clutch. The engines will burn out before a clutch. I see other lco's buying clutches for their equipment and I have to ask them............why? Do their employees treat their line trimmers like shovels and throw them in the back of the trucks. Do they rev throttle their equipment.........this will cause the most troubles.

Arkansas!
Home of the state bird--The Mosquito!

tacoma200
04-25-2011, 12:28 AM
I personally and our crews over the years have run the stihls, the echo's, the john deere's and never--ever replaced a clutch. The engines will burn out before a clutch. I see other lco's buying clutches for their equipment and I have to ask them............why? Do their employees treat their line trimmers like shovels and throw them in the back of the trucks. Do they rev throttle their equipment.........this will cause the most troubles.

Arkansas!
Home of the state bird--The Mosquito!

Arkansas, cool. When I used to drive a tractor trailer through there they I would hear them say (on the cb radio) the Chinese only wish they could grow rice like that. It was flat as heck west of Memphis.

yardguy28
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM

guess i'll never know because i'm not willing to take the safety chance of removing it.

plus the trimmer works fine with the guard on.

i've never removed a single guard or shield from anything. all trimmers have there guards on them, all mowers have there deck belt covers. when mowing discharge chute is always down.

when working period i always wear safetly glasses and ear protection.

Wow I was expecting a bunch of negative responses due to safety or liability. Thanks for the input.

guess i'll be that guy then.

i personally don't believe its a smart decision to remove guards or shield.

both for liability and safety issues.

as said above, i leave all safety items in place at all times.

safety is not something i'm willing to compromise for anything. i don't care if it would speed production. quality and safety are my concerns. not quantity and speed.

yardguy28
04-25-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't see how you guys running guards think that by taking it off puts a strain on the engine. I run my string almost the same lengh you do. Once again if you know how to use it you will not have 2 foot of string whipping. I also don't understand running it 1/2 or 1/4 open. The only time i do that is around delicate things. Its 2 stroke its made to be ran hard, ask anyone that races motorcross. If you don't run it hard it is getting less fuel, but also less oil. How can WOT be hard on it when it is lubercating it more?

I don't run one because :

#1 It gets in the way, and if you move at any faster than a turtles pace than you WILL at some point hit the ground with the corner of the sheild, then the trimmer will turn on its side, and then scalp. I can run while trimming and edging (WOT and no sheild). To me it is about doing a good job, but if you aren't fast your not making money, got to be efficent

#2 It doesn't really sheild anything anyway your going to be cover with grass and hit by rocks. It's part of it, quit whining. Do you think welders don't get burnt from sparks, or a painter never gets paint on there clothes?

#3 If it is at all wet outside it will start to collect grass making the trimmer front heavy. When off my trimmer is balanced almost perfect when holding it with one hand at the throttle.(Which makes bending over to trim deep ditchs much easier.

I really can't see any advantage to having it on.

i hope your presenting this information as your opinion....

i run trimmers with the guards on and i don't need to go at a turtles pace to keep the guard from hitting the ground causing the trimmer to scalp the turf. in fact i move at a speed walkers pace with the trimmer.

the balance thing i wouldn't know about. i've never had my trimmer be any heavier than when i bought it new. i've also never had to bend over with the trimmer to trim anything. i can do all my trimming with the trimmer without bending over.

RLS24
04-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I kept mine on, but over the winter while servicing my equipment I took them off. People always tell me "oh you haven't experienced life until you've run a trimmer without a guard" so I'm gonna see what all the hype is about haha

Richard Martin
04-25-2011, 04:16 AM
I don't use the trimmer guards either. On a whole lot of trimmers the guard is only protecting your shins anyway.

cutbetterthanyou
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
i hope your presenting this information as your opinion....

i run trimmers with the guards on and i don't need to go at a turtles pace to keep the guard from hitting the ground causing the trimmer to scalp the turf. in fact i move at a speed walkers pace with the trimmer.

the balance thing i wouldn't know about. i've never had my trimmer be any heavier than when i bought it new. i've also never had to bend over with the trimmer to trim anything. i can do all my trimming with the trimmer without bending over.

It is just a opinion.

I used a guard the first two years i was in bussiness, till i and a buddy did a ditch about 500 feet long. He was on one side, me on the other. I had a echo 260 with a guard and was bustin a$$ to beat him. He hada shinny that little homeower one, t22 or something. He didn't even look like he was tring and got half the ditch done before me and it looked better. I was moving fast but was limited because i didn't want it all scalped up. I took mine off then that was it, i could keep up and it looked better. The biggest thing is you can see where the string is cutting.I hate when ppl trim a yard and the yard is 3-4 inchs tall and the trimming is dirt or the same height but all lumpy.I want mine the same height as the yard and smooth, not all choppy

I guess to each there own. I know that if i had to use one with a guard on it now it would add at least a half to a whole day to my week i'm not all about that.

As for the ditchs u are blessed. Around here i have to trimmer alot of ditchs that you can't get a mower into.Alot of homes in town have front ditchs ranging from 3-5 feet deep. About 5 years ago i had one for that state that was about a half mile long and so steep u could barly stand on it. It ranged, from about 20 feet down to about 8, it took a crew of 3 about 2-3 hours. They called it 'THE DITCH" they still talk about how much they hated it.

yardguy28
04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I kept mine on, but over the winter while servicing my equipment I took them off. People always tell me "oh you haven't experienced life until you've run a trimmer without a guard" so I'm gonna see what all the hype is about haha

i'm a big fan of "if it aint broke don't fix it".....

i don't have problems with using my trimmer with the guard on and i don't feel it slows me down in any way, shape or form.

it was put on there for a reason. if it was useless trimmer manufacturers wouldn't put them on there.

to each there own though.

It is just a opinion.

I used a guard the first two years i was in bussiness, till i and a buddy did a ditch about 500 feet long. He was on one side, me on the other. I had a echo 260 with a guard and was bustin a$$ to beat him. He hada shinny that little homeower one, t22 or something. He didn't even look like he was tring and got half the ditch done before me and it looked better. I was moving fast but was limited because i didn't want it all scalped up. I took mine off then that was it, i could keep up and it looked better. The biggest thing is you can see where the string is cutting.I hate when ppl trim a yard and the yard is 3-4 inchs tall and the trimming is dirt or the same height but all lumpy.I want mine the same height as the yard and smooth, not all choppy

I guess to each there own. I know that if i had to use one with a guard on it now it would add at least a half to a whole day to my week i'm not all about that.

As for the ditchs u are blessed. Around here i have to trimmer alot of ditchs that you can't get a mower into.Alot of homes in town have front ditchs ranging from 3-5 feet deep. About 5 years ago i had one for that state that was about a half mile long and so steep u could barly stand on it. It ranged, from about 20 feet down to about 8, it took a crew of 3 about 2-3 hours. They called it 'THE DITCH" they still talk about how much they hated it.

maybe it depends on what you trim and i've never tried them with out the guard but i find it very, very hard to believe using a trimmer with a guard vs. without a guard would add a whole day to anyone's schedule.

i spend most of my time on the properties mowing, not trimming. all the trimming i do is around trees, light posts, beds, fences and the perimeter. having the guard off wouldn't speed things up a whole day......:hammerhead:

ALC-GregH
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't use the trimmer guards either. On a whole lot of trimmers the guard is only protecting your shins anyway.

That's right Richard. The guard is there to protect the OPERATOR not the window 50ft away. Stuff flies off the trimmer regardless of having a guard on or not. Try trimming around wooden fence posts on a farm with a guard on. You find out quick it will go by in no time without a guard on since you can cut around both sides of the post from one angle. Eliminating the need to go to the other side of the fence.

cutbetterthanyou
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

i don't have problems with using my trimmer with the guard on and i don't feel it slows me down in any way, shape or form.

it was put on there for a reason. if it was useless trimmer manufacturers wouldn't put them on there.

maybe it depends on what you trim and i've never tried them with out the guard but i find it very, very hard to believe using a trimmer with a guard vs. without a guard would add a whole day to anyone's schedule.

i spend most of my time on the properties mowing, not trimming. all the trimming i do is around trees, light posts, beds, fences and the perimeter. having the guard off wouldn't speed things up a whole day......:hammerhead:

I think you have the nail hit on the head. I spent as much time on most of my yards trimming and edging as i do riding. Like someone said earlier that they have never had to bend over in a ditch to trim, i do everyday. I think this is a subject like "A 72 inch ZTR is to big" or "A pushmower is usless" It depends on the application.

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Several guys here run trimmers with a lot of line out and no trim guard for large area's such as hillsides, ditches, etc. I'm sure it's not the safest method but many of them swear by this method for larger area's that may not be accessible by ZTR, wb, etc.. Your thoughts? Have you or would you use this method?

Well it depends.... I dont take them off because im a bad ass and dont care about rocks.

We will leave them on certain models and what we use them for.

Alot of our shins we use for edging and light trimming so we modify the sheild by cutting it where it dosent contact them grass and hang up.

Leaving the shield on is best due to keeping the right string lengh will not eat up your clutch and more gas etc. If you don't have a string cutter or your not trimming against walls concrete etc the string will be uneven and shake the trimmer and your hands too death... you might not notice it but after the days over and you use it correctly its a alot more comfortable...

MJB
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Having the guard off gives you twice the swath cutting down trimming when you have large areas, or corners where you have to trim out a ways and yes saves your back and a ton of time. But it took me 4 or 5 yrs of doing it the hard way too. 15 yrs the easy way. As you get older you'll understand why many do it. Plus cutting 16 inches you can control it better and have less scalp marks that I see whenever I see someone trimming with the guard on. I use the Edgit with mine that gives the string even more control imo. Plus edging is so much easier doing it with 1 hand dragging the edgit backwards. Most guys have to bend a little edging because they are more than 4 ft tall.:waving:

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Finally, Someone explained it..................CUTBETTERTHANYOU!!!

The shield only protects the user from backflying debris. It has everything to do with forward thrust as the splash plate on a spreader would do. What falls on the curved plate will the thrust forward by the inertia. As far as keeping the line at a nominal length, concrete cuts it well or other safe hard surface. Knowing how to run a piece of equipment is different than using one. Most of our properties have bare root trees and shrubbery planted in clusters and often need to be line trimmed close to the trunks. With the guard on...........I couldn't tell you how many times I slit the bark. It took me a little while to get adjusted to the method............but once you get it then you will fly like the wind..........even at edging. When edging be assured that objects either in front and back of you will get a line drive shot with a rock, so keep your eyes peeled for cars, pedestrians, and pets........CHILDREN especially. Use the machine with common sense and everyone will be fine.
Keep the guard stored........use it on the machine a couple of times to make it dirty and grimy so when you need something done the dealer won't blow his fuse on you. Problem solved.

LOL ya right mec ben! do what you want but they are there for line lenght and protection only! Do you really think cos give a rats azz what lenght you wanted to cut at????? You buy there trimmer and they set the best! cutting lenght on the sheild cutter.......... LONG string Long grass Lots more grass being cut due to longer string>>>>>>>>More wear and tear. But it is nice not have off if you relize to risks and know how to keep line at right lenghts!!!

GMLC
04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
The only reason I still have the guards on all my equipment is the liability issue. I just cant take the risk of the insurance company refusing to pay and getting sued, or OSHA on my but. Its all fun and games til someone gets hurt. But yes equipment seems to perform better and is a lot more fun to operate without safety equipment installed:)

yardguy28
04-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Well it depends.... I dont take them off because im a bad ass and dont care about rocks.

We will leave them on certain models and what we use them for.

Alot of our shins we use for edging and light trimming so we modify the sheild by cutting it where it dosent contact them grass and hang up.

Leaving the shield on is best due to keeping the right string lengh will not eat up your clutch and more gas etc. If you don't have a string cutter or your not trimming against walls concrete etc the string will be uneven and shake the trimmer and your hands too death... you might not notice it but after the days over and you use it correctly its a alot more comfortable...

Having the guard off gives you twice the swath cutting down trimming when you have large areas, or corners where you have to trim out a ways and yes saves your back and a ton of time. But it took me 4 or 5 yrs of doing it the hard way too. 15 yrs the easy way. As you get older you'll understand why many do it. Plus cutting 16 inches you can control it better and have less scalp marks that I see whenever I see someone trimming with the guard on. I use the Edgit with mine that gives the string even more control imo. Plus edging is so much easier doing it with 1 hand dragging the edgit backwards. Most guys have to bend a little edging because they are more than 4 ft tall.:waving:

am i the only one who has never got the guard caught up on grass causing the trimmer to scalp the turf? oh i've scalped turf before but not because i got hung up on something. i just got a little to close in general.

as for the edging goes. i don't edge with my trimmer. thats what stick edgers are for.

and no as i get older i will not understand why guys take the guards off because i will never be taking my guards off. too much of a liability issue as some have pointed out.

it's gonna be hard to win a lawsuit against you when that rock fly's through some little girls eye and you didn't have the guard on the trimmer. sure the guard may not have stopped that rock but the guard is one more step towards being safe that we can take.

so maybe we should take it all the way. if we are gonna remove the trimmer guards, lets take off the belt covers on the mowers, lets not tie down our equipment on the trailers.

Florida Gardener
04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Yup, I keep my guards on all the time. As said before, buy a stick edger to edge...
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Once again, it depends on the accout. I have a stick edger, but use it about every 2-3 years. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, because i feel that if you are good with a trimmer it looks just as good as a edger. That isn't the reason i never use one thou. For me about 90% of the places that require a edge to be maintain, a edger can't work. Most of the places the ground was graded higher or the walk was put in to low. When edgeing with the shaft side to the yard the shaft gets hung up on the high ground. Sometimes it is so out of wack that the guard gets hung up if i put the shaft side to the walk. I know that on some i can do it with the shaft to the walk ,but alot of the time that would put me in the road walking the edger down the curb. With the trimmer i can edge from etheir side, and walk forward or backward if needed. For my places a trimmer is alot easier,safer, and faster.

bobcat48
04-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I have always had mine on and plan on staying like that.

fazzy815-66
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
not only do I always have mine on, I replace them when they break....I like them on

DLCS
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I toss them, haven't used the guards since 02. I have some trimmers that are 10+ years old and have not replaced one clutch or had one go out on me. I don't see many in my area using the guards on their trimmers. Even the city, state, and park districts in my area remove them. To each their own though.

chris@perfectlawncare
04-25-2011, 11:40 PM

I was always told it will burn out the gears... to me it isn't worth it. They put it on there for a reason. Maybe you'll have insurance problems if you throw a rock?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thomas Grundy
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
I have taken the gaurds off two trimmers and burned them up within two years. The trimmers I have with gaurds on go 6 years or more. Piston rings get to hott and stick. When they stick its only a matter or time. Unless you want to pay half the price of a new trimmer to get fixed. Leave the gaurds on.When off it takes away power from the trimmer and theres no need to run a foot of line to trim a yard and edge.

jas1980
04-26-2011, 12:46 AM
It's against OSHA regulations to remove your guard. Jus sayin'.

yardguy28
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
not only do I always have mine on, I replace them when they break....I like them on

yep....

i replace belt covers, guards, anything like that when it breaks.

I toss them, haven't used the guards since 02. I have some trimmers that are 10+ years old and have not replaced one clutch or had one go out on me. I don't see many in my area using the guards on their trimmers. Even the city, state, and park districts in my area remove them. To each their own though.

so if everyone jumped off a bridge including the city, state and park districts would you.......:laugh:

It's against OSHA regulations to remove your guard. Jus sayin'.

if for no other reason, leave the guards on for legal issues.

if i threw a rock through some kids eye, i would want the situation to look like i did every single thing i could possibly do to prevent that injury. sure doesn't look good for me if my trimmer was missing a guard or my mower discharge chute was up.

DLCS
04-26-2011, 09:30 AM
yep....

so if everyone jumped off a bridge including the city, state and park districts would you.......:laugh:

if for no other reason, leave the guards on for legal issues.

I thought we were talking about trimmer guards? Didn't know we were talking about jumping off bridges. :laugh:

I sure hope you run with the mower deflector all the way down. Because OSHA says you must, if you don't and a rock hits someone..... Well then I'm sure there is a lawyer out there that will make a case against you.

Darryl G
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
OSHA regulations are applicable to employee safety only, not the general public. In fact if you're self employed, they do not apply to you at all. As stated previously, I keep my trimmer guards on. I keep them on mostly for legal reasons, not because of OSHA.

yardguy28
04-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I thought we were talking about trimmer guards? Didn't know we were talking about jumping off bridges. :laugh:

I sure hope you run with the mower deflector all the way down. Because OSHA says you must, if you don't and a rock hits someone..... Well then I'm sure there is a lawyer out there that will make a case against you.

you guessed right. that mower deflector is always all the way down unless there is a bagger or mulching kit attached.

OSHA regulations are applicable to employee safety only, not the general public. In fact if you're self employed, they do not apply to you at all. As stated previously, I keep my trimmer guards on. I keep them on mostly for legal reasons, not because of OSHA.

i do it for safety reasons. safety is more important than legality and speed IMO.

Darryl G
04-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm very safety conscious myself (I was the site safety officer on countless jobs in my former career), but I'm not sure that the guards really make that much of a difference in the safety of a trimmer. I've thrown plenty of rocks/debris with my guards on.

But if an accident did happen that caused property damage or personal injury, I sure as hell want my guard to be there....it all has to do with "standard of care". It can easily be argued that a reasonable and prudent individual would not operate a string trimmer that they know can hurl objects with a safety device that is designed to reduce that risk removed. Maybe some of you guys have nothing to lose if you get your tails sued...I do.

mowcrazy
04-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I run the redmax tr2301 trimmers. One of my trimmers has the guard slid up the shaft and really is there for no reason becaue it doesnt cut any line and I love it that way. I have had some of my help use it and didnt seem to care for it.

I have went through 2 head gears running the trimmer like that though but its how I like to run the trimmer so................................

By the way, my help is just as fast at trimming as I am for the most part but we are doing lots of ditches here in southern ohio with a foot of rain this month. I absolutely BURN there a$$ ditching with more line out.

That guard may mean something to osha but for someone who has done cemeterys for 14 years now I can say I get hit with just as much stuff with the guard pulled back as with the guard in its right place.

Just like others stated, to each there own. I can run them either way but I am MUCH MUCH MUCH slower with the the guard in the factory location.....

mowcrazy
04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
oh and by the way, my dealer said if I want any warranty work done I was to have the guard on the trimmer when I came through the front door but as long as it was on he would take care of it!

Will P.C.
04-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Freshman year of school I got a job working at a golf course. 89 bunkers and the designer had gone 'finger' crazy with them. We pretty much had 2 full Mexicans whose only job was to trim and edge around the bunkers all day every day. I would occasionally get put on to help if I had nothing else to do. The only trimmer left was one w/o a guard. It was a horrible experience. Sand stinging you the whole time. I never would consider taking a guard off after that experience. I eventually told the super that I refused to do any weedeating the rest of the summer.

grincon
04-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Okay, so with the guard off, do you constantly have to keep picking up head of the trimmer to cut line out or does it just fray away? Just curious.

MJB
04-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Okay, so with the guard off, do you constantly have to keep picking up head of the trimmer to cut line out or does it just fray away? Just curious.

You can only let out so much string to achieve the most control, to much and it will not work, to little and your wasting time I like about 14 to 16 inches with the edgit shield on. To much and you have to cut some off once you find the sweet spot you can control it better not dipping into the rocks I can trim right over a rock because I an see the edge of the string easier with the edgit. But I'm sure someone well say I'm full of it or something but 14 yrs doing it this way I'll never change, to each his own.

nathannc
04-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Guards off for me. Back cutting or trimming around posts and trees is much easier. Moreover, I find it safer. The guard continuously getting in the way requires more positioning, makes it harder to see exactly where you are cutting and, makes it especially difficult to near impossible to backcut safely and effectively for you and the brushcutter. Someone can argue this point but, you'll never prove it by me. This is especially true on hilly or slippery terrain. Using a guard under these circumstances can lead to greater frustration leading to a loss of focus on safety.

In all the years that I have used a trimmer or brush cutter without a guard, I have only a couple of bruised chins to show for it. It seems the most of the time where I could have been really hurt is when something I have hit bounces off of a tree or other object back into my face. This is where safety glasses come in handy.

With all this said, I would not recommend someone not to use a brushguard. Too many liability issues there. Whether to use a brushguard or not is something each should find out on their own.

Knight511
04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Probably because I am a lefty, but I find the guard does nothing for me. Doesn't block JACK from being thrown into my legs... like I said, I am a lefty so I stand on the "wrong" side of the shaft.... but whatever... guard stays on for me.

THEGOLDPRO
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Trimmer guards are for noobs.

Darryl G
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Some of the faces have changed but the debate really hasn't changed much!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=46278

BestImpressions99
04-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Used a Shindaiwa long ago with no trimmer guard. In big trimming projects always ran into too much line coming out, bogging down the machine. I find that using thicker line helps.

StihlBR600
05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Does anyone run the Stihl FS100RX? I have 2 of them and after 2 years I finally took the guards off. They cut soo much faster, but they dont start back up after cutting a yard because they overheat. Anyone else experience this?

yardguy28
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Guards off for me. Back cutting or trimming around posts and trees is much easier. Moreover, I find it safer. The guard continuously getting in the way requires more positioning, makes it harder to see exactly where you are cutting and, makes it especially difficult to near impossible to backcut safely and effectively for you and the brushcutter. Someone can argue this point but, you'll never prove it by me. This is especially true on hilly or slippery terrain. Using a guard under these circumstances can lead to greater frustration leading to a loss of focus on safety.

In all the years that I have used a trimmer or brush cutter without a guard, I have only a couple of bruised chins to show for it. It seems the most of the time where I could have been really hurt is when something I have hit bounces off of a tree or other object back into my face. This is where safety glasses come in handy.

With all this said, I would not recommend someone not to use a brushguard. Too many liability issues there. Whether to use a brushguard or not is something each should find out on their own.

likewise only i leave the guard on..............

Thomas Grundy
05-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Does anyone run the Stihl FS100RX? I have 2 of them and after 2 years I finally took the guards off. They cut soo much faster, but they dont start back up after cutting a yard because they overheat. Anyone else experience this?

Yes they over heat the piston rings get to hott and stick and its half the price of the trimmer to get it fixed. Leave the guards on it also terminates your warranty running them without a guard. Red max and stihl are both no nos without a guard. Its just dumb you dont need a ft of line to trim a yard. I burned up two redmax taking the guards off

MJB
05-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Yes they over heat the piston rings get to hott and stick and its half the price of the trimmer to get it fixed. Leave the guards on it also terminates your warranty running them without a guard. Red max and stihl are both no nos without a guard. Its just dumb you dont need a ft of line to trim a yard. I burned up two redmax taking the guards off

Why do the Stihl and Redmax do that but not the Echo and Shindawi? Is it the mix or what?
I been doing it for over 12 yrs on mine and the worst thing happen was the coils wore out after 2 years. But I run the Edgit on mine which shouldn't make a difference than just taking off the guard. I should measure the string sometime but I'm guessing I run 14 inches on average.

Richard Martin
05-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Why do the Stihl and Redmax do that but not the Echo and Shindawi? Is it the mix or what?

It's probably the mix or the oil. My FS80 has been in service forever. I removed the guard at the dealer and fill it with Amsoil at 80:1 almost exclusively. It has never overheated, seized up or failed to restart when it's hot. I suspect that Stihl uses high graphite piston rings. In tests they have run the 4 Mix through 5 tanks of straight gas without damage.

DLCS
05-03-2011, 06:59 AM
My Stihls never get over heated.

lawn splop
05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I think we are all in the same boat here. Guard comes off and Life is easier

Prairie Lawn and Snow
05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm with guards off, but if an old lady or a kid ever got a rock in the face I want every thing I can get in my corner if the want to sue my a$$. Even though the guard dosnt do a dang thing to stop rocks. Just a place to mount the line cutter.

Lots of talk about "Cut shins" Do alot of you guys run without long pants and Boots??

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm with guards off, but if an old lady or a kid ever got a rock in the face I want every thing I can get in my corner if the want to sue my a$$. Even though the guard dosnt do a dang thing to stop rocks. Just a place to mount the line cutter.

Lots of talk about "Cut shins" Do alot of you guys run without long pants and Boots??

If it's hot out I'm wearing shorts mowing and trimming...pretty much all summer. Boots always though.

yardguy28
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
i don't even own a pair of shorts for work or otherwise. when i'm not working i'm wearing jeans. when i am working it's the kahki's i get at kohls. always boots when working. doc martins when not working.

deerewashed
05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
i would take mine off my old one, but i stripped the bolt in the process because i didnt use a ratchet. i was f**kin pissed!

SLR
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I am curious, what about you Restrorob? No guard or guard?
I run with a guard because the 'Tap&go' spring in my weeder is so dam soft that it let's line out at the smallest of bumps,therefore, having to stop project every 5-10mins to cut excess line with pliers.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Honestly I personally have never used one without the guard off but I think you problably would get the same amount of dust and stuff thrown up as you would with the gaurd on or off...either way most likely makes no difference as far as throwing small rocks...etc

StihlBR600
05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
I just started trimming without guards this season. I can honestly say that they are never going back on. It is soo much faster and more efficient without the guard on, but you do get hit with a lot more rocks and dirt when it isnt on.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Just took the guard off mine...only thing i regret is not doing it years ago when i bought the trimmer...i dont personally get hit as much either

Robert Pruitt
07-03-2011, 11:04 PM
tried to give a guy a pair of used safety glasses Thursday, got a good cussing, and told to mind my own business.

yardguy28
07-04-2011, 10:23 AM
yeah you should mind your own business......

everyone should. it's everyone's choice whether they wear safety gear.

if i spent any amount of time trying to get guys i see not wearing saftey gear to wear it, i'd never get any work done. i rarely see guys wearing safety glasses or ear protection.

Robert Pruitt
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
07-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Well I for one always ware my safety glasses,and ear plugs.glasses last me about dour to six weeks if I see someone working in a unsafe way I am going to butt in. Fussing or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Well I for one always ware my safety glasses,and ear plugs.glasses last me about four to six weeks if I see someone working in a unsafe way I am going to butt in. Cussing or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
You can try. But, you can't protect people from themselves (in every case).

I've never taken the guard off my trimmer (admittedly). I just can't understand the need to do so. What are you guys "trimming"?

Do you have brush cutters? Hedge trimmers? Trim mowers? I don't get it.

yardguy28
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Well I for one always ware my safety glasses,and ear plugs.glasses last me about four to six weeks if I see someone working in a unsafe way I am going to butt in. Cussing or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

what are you doing with them??? i have had the same safety glasses i started with when i started my business. i'm on my 5th year of business.

the gray coloring on the plastic is faded and worn in spots and the lenses have there share of scratches. but i get a clear view from them and they aren't cracked or broken. they serve there purpose.

i'm on my second set of work tunes. i just can't seem to keep the music part working. something always happens inside the wiring. the current pair i have just took a sheot. thinking about getting another set. but also thinking about just going back to regular ear muffs. work tunes are pricey to be replacing ever couple of years.

as for butting in. i still say it's not your business. but to each to there own. i know there are people out there who just can't mind there own business.

Robert Pruitt
07-04-2011, 12:08 PM
what are you doing with them??? i have had the same safety glasses i started with when i started my business. i'm on my 5th year of business.

the gray coloring on the plastic is faded and worn in spots and the lenses have there share of scratches. but i get a clear view from them and they aren't cracked or broken. they serve there purpose.

i'm on my second set of work tunes. i just can't seem to keep the music part working. something always happens inside the wiring. the current pair i have just took a sheot. thinking about getting another set. but also thinking about just going back to regular ear muffs. work tunes are pricey to be replacing ever couple of years.

as for butting in. i still say it's not your business. but to each to there own. i know there are people out there who just can't mind there own business.
Posted via Mobile Device

Robert Pruitt
07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Scratched,broken.can't stand scratches. I will keep on butting in till l quit this work.if you don't like it don't read my thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Prairie Lawn and Snow
07-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Maybe Im missing something but who pays the work comp and signs the checks. I make everyone wear eye protection and the young guys eye and ear protection. If your guys say they wont wear them, say your docking them a dollar per every time you seem them without. They'll be wearing the sh#t in the truck while their eating lunch. :laugh: I don't pay my guys enough to lose their hearing, wreck there back or look like a pirate.

yardguy28
07-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe Im missing something but who pays the work comp and signs the checks. I make everyone wear eye protection and the young guys eye and ear protection. If your guys say they wont wear them, say your docking them a dollar per every time you seem them without. They'll be wearing the sh#t in the truck while their eating lunch. :laugh: I don't pay my guys enough to lose their hearing, wreck there back or look like a pirate.

you are missing something.

the fact that he was going up to someone who has there own business or works for another business that is totaly not related to his business.

if he was going up to his own employees thats one thing. but to go up to someone elses employees or someone else with there own business. he needs to mind his own business. its not his place to make or suggest to others, except for himself and his employees, to wear safety gear.

Prairie Lawn and Snow
07-14-2011, 08:14 AM
you are missing something.

the fact that he was going up to someone who has there own business or works for another business that is totaly not related to his business.

if he was going up to his own employees thats one thing. but to go up to someone elses employees or someone else with there own business. he needs to mind his own business. its not his place to make or suggest to others, except for himself and his employees, to wear safety gear.

Settle down Yard Guy 28, he doesn't indicate anywhere that it was some random person that cussed him out for trying to give them glasses. I assumed it was his own guy. Sorry it didn't occur to me he was running around town like the saftey glasses profit spreading the good word. I'd like to hear a little more of the cussing out story. Its hard to believe he parked, got out and walked onto some other lco's lawn while their working to recommend wearing eye wear. Sounds pretty stupid.

yardguy28
07-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Settle down Yard Guy 28, he doesn't indicate anywhere that it was some random person that cussed him out for trying to give them glasses. I assumed it was his own guy. Sorry it didn't occur to me he was running around town like the saftey glasses profit spreading the good word. I'd like to hear a little more of the cussing out story. Its hard to believe he parked, got out and walked onto some other lco's lawn while their working to recommend wearing eye wear. Sounds pretty stupid.

there's nothing to get excited about. there was not ment to be any excitement in my post. not towards you anyway.

i posted back some to the operator of this thread. he seems to think it's ok to go around and suggest the use of safety gear to any tom, dick, or harry he sees.

i'd have major problems with anyone who did that with me. they'd find there selves in the same situation the thread starter did. a big fat cussing out.

i do kind of get excited when it comes to people minding there own business. it's a peev of mine.

Prairie Lawn and Snow
07-15-2011, 01:22 AM
there's nothing to get excited about. there was not ment to be any excitement in my post. not towards you anyway.

i posted back some to the operator of this thread. he seems to think it's ok to go around and suggest the use of safety gear to any tom, dick, or harry he sees.

i'd have major problems with anyone who did that with me. they'd find there selves in the same situation the thread starter did. a big fat cussing out.

i do kind of get excited when it comes to people minding there own business. it's a peev of mine.

I want to hear more from the poster who got cussed out. If he's stepping foot on another guys account for any reason, yeah he needs to get cussed out. Tell the whole story safety glasses guy. How'd you get cussed out?

GrassGuerilla
07-16-2011, 12:04 PM
I've been at this a while. I've run trimmers with and without guards. I'm curious, what trimmers are you running 12-16 inches of line? Meaning a 24-32 inch cut? And what size type line?

And what trimmer guard is so big you can't trim around posts etc. I do it every day with an Echo or Redmax.. Some of those Stihl guards are pretty bulky.

I'm guessing most guys running guardless like .095 or smaller?
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
i'm as curious as you are. i run my trimmers with a guard on and i use .095 line. that guard hasn't gotten in the way of a single thing.

there isn't an area i can't trim with the guard on.

Chevy z71
07-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Mines in the trash.

StihlBR600
07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
I run 0.80 twist line on my stihl FS100RX and it throws out exactly 12 in on each side. So it cuts a path way wider than a push mower

MJB
07-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I was trimming a bar ditch the other day with my Echo 260T and the Edgit attachment I let out about double what one with the guard lets out, and because it was tall but easy to cut cheat grass. I cut it faster than you could of mowed it with a walk behind. They had a maintenance guy trying to cut with a regular trimmer with the guard , I laughed at him and said watch this. He could not believe how much faster and easier it was. So depending on the application using no guard or an Edgit will increase productivity especially trimming out larger areas. I've done this for 20 yrs and used Edgits for the last 15. No matter what anyone says theguards come off and the productivity goes up.. with 1 exception. For the guys mowing with walkbehinds they don't have to trim out near as far as the guys mowing with big 60" ztrs. So they can run along making a smaller swath and make good time. So to each his own I know what works for us.

yardguy28
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
the main thing i'm getting from the guys that take the guards off is they are willing to sacrifice safety for productivity.......

i admit a guard on a trimmer isn't full proof, but it's safer than one without the guard.

i for one will not sacrifice safety for production no matter what. but thats just me. while i think more people should operate this way, to each his own......

MJB
07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
the main thing i'm getting from the guys that take the guards off is they are willing to sacrifice safety for productivity.......

i admit a guard on a trimmer isn't full proof, but it's safer than one without the guard.

i for one will not sacrifice safety for production no matter what. but thats just me. while i think more people should operate this way, to each his own......

The Edgit gives as much protection as the guard, but they all throw rocks.
When I used to always have the guard on my employee would always get mad when a rock would hit him 50 ft away on a mower. I rarely throw rocks as much now I can throttle way down why edging , plus if I see a rock in the way I scoop it out of the way with the edgit disk. Works for a poop scooper too when the pile is in the way. I've even used it to fling mice, or small snakes etc out of the way, without cutting them up.

Bumpmaster
07-17-2011, 11:53 AM
For me and the crew it is either guard on with tennies, shorts, no shirt, no glasses, and no head gear, or guard off with work boots, pants, shirt, safety glasses and head gear. No exceptions!

Lloyd at work
07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I must reply to this post.. I was always anit-guard, Every trimmer I got the first thing I did was take off the guard to get longer string (for banks,ditches,etc...). I thought the guards were pointless except for blocking flying debris... Now, I'm not so sure. I just purchased a new stihl and I decided to leave the guard on for 1 property to compare the fuel usage (My friend said fuel usage and power was a huge difference, which I doubted). Here is the layout of the property I did.... It's HUGE... I fill the trimmer before I get started and then I usually walk about 1/2 the property line (horse farm) and then at the 1/2 way point I pass my truck and refill the trimmer along with a water bottle I fill with fuel to keep in my back pocket (Which i use to refill the trimmer on the way back to the truck along another fence line), well the trimmer with the guard on I trimmed the whole property (only filled up before I started) and went on to trim 3 more decent size properties and my own house on the same tank, I was blown away on how much fuel I saved so I've decided if I'm not doing a large area (bank or something) then I will use the trimmer with the guard on, I can't believe how much of a fuel difference it made and my time was actually 3 minutes faster on the whole property so there was no time lost.... My usual trimmer is a stihl fs80 and the one with the guard on was a stihl fs85 so it wasn't the type of trimmer. I suggest people try this and see what I'm talking about, I' mean mix gas is not going to make or break a company but it's such a huge difference you might decide other wise.... So if you have a Huge property I suggest you try it once with a guard on and see the difference and make the decision yourself.

GrassGuerilla
07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I run 0.80 twist line on my stihl FS100RX and it throws out exactly 12 in on each side. So it cuts a path way wider than a push mower

You're experience with this trimmer has been different than mine. I bought one a couple years ago ("08 I think). It ran out of steam quick with a guard running .095 when trying to cut tall thick grassy weeds. I took mine back after the first or second day. I had my brother helping me trim, and nobody wanted to use the new Stihl.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassGuerilla
07-17-2011, 07:13 PM
You can only let out so much string to achieve the most control, to much and it will not work, to little and your wasting time I like about 14 to 16 inches with the edgit shield on. To much and you have to cut some off once you find the sweet spot you can control it better not dipping into the rocks I can trim right over a rock because I an see the edge of the string easier with the edgit. But I'm sure someone well say I'm full of it or something but 14 yrs doing it this way I'll never change, to each his own.

I'm really curious, what trimmer and line are you running? Assuming it has a 4" head 14-16" of line means your cutting 30-34" swath with a trimmer. I'd like to know what make, model trimmer and what size and type of line. Further, I want to know how long a trimmer lasts you under these loads.

If there's a trimmer out there that can cut 30"+ ... I want one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kingfish
07-17-2011, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=GrassGuerilla;4097698][HTML]I'm really curious, what trimmer these loads.

Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

130R stihl

yardguy28
07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
The Edgit gives as much protection as the guard, but they all throw rocks.
When I used to always have the guard on my employee would always get mad when a rock would hit him 50 ft away on a mower. I rarely throw rocks as much now I can throttle way down why edging , plus if I see a rock in the way I scoop it out of the way with the edgit disk. Works for a poop scooper too when the pile is in the way. I've even used it to fling mice, or small snakes etc out of the way, without cutting them up.

i almost never run the trimmer in anything but high, wide open throttle. when i'm by vehicles or there are people close by, but thats it. have always been told by the dealer not to baby the trimmer. it's better to run it wide open all the time than to run it low.

which i use to do and had my trimmer in for adjustments all the time. ever since i started running wide open all the time, that trimmer has never been in the shop for anything.

For me and the crew it is either guard on with tennies, shorts, no shirt, no glasses, and no head gear, or guard off with work boots, pants, shirt, safety glasses and head gear. No exceptions!

for me it's guard on, work boots, pants, shirt, safety glasses and ear protection, no exceptions or you won't be working for me.

I'm really curious, what trimmer and line are you running? Assuming it has a 4" head 14-16" of line means your cutting 30-34" swath with a trimmer. I'd like to know what make, model trimmer and what size and type of line. Further, I want to know how long a trimmer lasts you under these loads.

Posted via Mobile Device

what the hell are you guys trimming that you even would need something like this.

you don't need a 30"+ swath to trim around beds, trees, light posts and areas a mower can't reach.

i haven't found an area yet my stihl fs70 with guard left on can't trim.

MJB
07-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

You miss understood me the edgit disk is 14 inches around and I have let out 6 more inches and cut cheat grass because its easy to cut. Generally I let out just 2 or 3 inches past the edge of the edgit. I use an Echo 260T. I have an old shindawa that I use for ditches and it has more power and I can let out a little bit more. But mainly I use the echo.

MJB
07-18-2011, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=yardguy28;4098187]i almost never run the trimmer in anything but high, wide open throttle. when i'm by vehicles or there are people close by, but thats it. have always been told by the dealer not to baby the trimmer. it's better to run it wide open all the time than to run it low.

which i use to do and had my trimmer in for adjustments all the time. ever since i started running wide open all the time, that trimmer has never been in the shop for anything.

I don't worry about it my Echos run a long time on fuel, I use Amsoil mix and use Vortex string .095 lasts forever compared to the orange crap. I don't have any issues with my trimmers I buy new every 2 or 3 yrs usually even though they still run ok. I do run them wide open a little each day but only where it is necessary, an that blows the carbon out.

Prairie Lawn and Snow
07-18-2011, 01:35 AM

Do you always run with your chute guard down also?

yardguy28
07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Do you always run with your chute guard down also?

unless i have a grass catcher or mulch kit attached yes i do.........:waving:

IXINRGIXI
07-19-2011, 05:54 AM

haha same .. except i keep mine just in case it goes to the dealership

troyota71
08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
""""" WOW"""" this some fun reading !! I myself take the guards off but I do leave a trimmer with one guard one for when you are doing delicate areas where you want very little flying debris. Its so much faster trimming around trees and such with guard off when you reach around. WHY do you need to cut the string ????? When you spool your trimmer head make sure to have one length 4" longer than the other that way when you load them up the two ends are even and no snipping the longer end off.Here's a good tip for any one who has a bigger Echo trimmer - Throw the echo head in the garbage as they strip out to easy ( DAM plastic nubs ).Put a Stihl popper head on your bigger Echo if you have the " guard " off. If you get a fair bit of line out the echo head will let the line tangle up in that small gap above the head. The Stihl head sits up nice and tight so no tangling up. I have 3-SRM400's and its so much nicer.

Fawcett
08-21-2011, 12:37 PM
When I worked for my old boss I'd get pelted with sand, stones, mulch, clippings etc. Both of his trimmers had their guards cut off and I hated it. I went off on my own and picked up a RedMax trimmer. I cant remember the model # but it was their best one under the high torque model which was a good bit heavier weight wise.

I considered cutting the guard off but prefer it on. I maintain a mini golf course and about 30 other accounts as a solo operation. I still get hit in the eyes/face with rocks mostly when I verticle my edged beds. It sucks but it would be much worse without the guard. Thats why I keep it on.

After using both set ups for years I think in most cases its nuts to take it off. Although if you're doing something like a grave yard, I'd take it off right away.

yardguy28
08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
""""" WOW"""" this some fun reading !! I myself take the guards off but I do leave a trimmer with one guard one for when you are doing delicate areas where you want very little flying debris. Its so much faster trimming around trees and such with guard off when you reach around. WHY do you need to cut the string ????? When you spool your trimmer head make sure to have one length 4" longer than the other that way when you load them up the two ends are even and no snipping the longer end off.Here's a good tip for any one who has a bigger Echo trimmer - Throw the echo head in the garbage as they strip out to easy ( DAM plastic nubs ).Put a Stihl popper head on your bigger Echo if you have the " guard " off. If you get a fair bit of line out the echo head will let the line tangle up in that small gap above the head. The Stihl head sits up nice and tight so no tangling up. I have 3-SRM400's and its so much nicer.

i can reach around to some degree (enough) around trees with the trimmer guard on.

as for the cutting the string. i'm not sure i completely follow. but why do you need to cut one end 4 inches longer? when i cut string both lines are equal lengths and just get wound up in the head like normal. i've never had any problems with needing to cut past that.

i usually cut either a 7' or 8' lenght. both lines. wind them in the trimmer head like normal and go.

while i've honestly never used a trimmer without the guard i can't say i desire it, even after reading these posts. i've never come across a situation where the guard has gotten in the way or slowed me down in any way, shape or form.

ed2hess
08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
. i've never come across a situation where the guard has gotten in the way or slowed me down in any way, shape or form.

So with the guard on how big is the swath you make along a fence? The answer is not big enough for a mower to overlap without clipping the fence. You need over a foot.....and the guard only give you 6 inches. So in most cases it could slow you down as much as 50%. Expecially when clear cutting with the trimmer.

yardguy28
08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
So with the guard on how big is the swath you make along a fence? The answer is not big enough for a mower to overlap without clipping the fence. You need over a foot.....and the guard only give you 6 inches. So in most cases it could slow you down as much as 50%. Expecially when clear cutting with the trimmer.

i happen to disagree with those numbers.

maybe the trimmer gives me a 6 inch swath. but that is more than enough for me to mow next to the fence with my 52" deck.

i've never clipped a fence and the fence area is always perfectly cut and trimmed.

the mower deck is as close to the fence as i can get without touching the fence. it doesn't slow me down at all. if your referring to speed when mowing around the fence don't bother because my first pass around the perimeter is never at full speed. whether i'm mowing a wide open area, around a fence, tree, mulch bed, etc. i take my first pass at 75% speed no matter what.

so a wider swath with the trimmer will not save me 50% time.

GrassGuerilla
08-22-2011, 08:15 PM

What trimmer only cuts a 6" swath? Standard trimmers cut 17". A couple have 18" and a few only 16". Are you using a battery powered Wally world trimmer?
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
08-22-2011, 09:35 PM
What trimmer only cuts a 6" swath? Standard trimmers cut 17". A couple have 18" and a few only 16". Are you using a battery powered Wally world trimmer?
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah i thought 6 inches seemed small too. but no matter what size a trimmer with a guard cuts my point was that removing the guard will not increase my time that much.

i've never removed my guard and i have a good number of clients with fences on the property and i never have problems mowing around them.

not really sure why he thinks you need a good foot of trimming around the fence to mow around it in the first place.

bobcat48
08-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I just took mine off last week and few lcos i know have there guards off and they use echo like me and i must say it's faster,doesn't throw alot of rock and dirt around like i thought it would and only have to bump the head once a yard not two or three times like before im likin it some of guys i know said it's great without it...not that bad like i said ,yeah of course not the smartest and safest idea really.

troyota71
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a whack off Stihl trimmers and I also have two Echo SRM-400's. I Have the guards off of them and if I run 0.95 line I get a 26" swath so it eliminates a push mower on the edges. I don't do lawn care any more but thats when I did.Now I only use them on hard to maintain grass.

GrassGuerilla
08-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a whack off Stihl trimmers and I also have two Echo SRM-400's. I Have the guards off of them and if I run 0.95 line I get a 26" swath so it eliminates a push mower on the edges. I don't do lawn care any more but thats when I did.Now I only use them on hard to maintain grass.

Im not sure what you're saying about Stihl trimmers.... But it sounds dirty. Is this some new expression? Quite a visual.
Posted via Mobile Device

drenchedlawn
08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Guard off has been the best thing I have ever done for my productivity. No problems with rocks just got to know what angle not to twist but that was the case with guard on.

yardguy28
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM

a push mower around the edges???

i leave the guards on my all my trimmers and i've never needed to use a push mower around the edges.

what mowers are you guys using that you can't get almost against the area your mowing without problems. i can mow right up against a fence and not touch the fence or have any problems. trimming for me is for the pieces of uncut grass the mower leaves around a tree, light post or fence. but not a whole row width or push mower width.

as for what your saying about stihl. i don't know what that term means but it doesn't sound good.

troyota71
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Okay maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase " a whack of stihl trimmers " as I forgot its a bunch of over worked,under paid, lonely yard monkey's reading this post ! ( I'm one too so no insults meant by this ). "" I HAVE A LOT OF STIHL STRING TRIMMERS ''' is that less dirty ??
As for the push mower part,well there is alot of tight spots you can't get a 50 or 60 inch mower into. I have a 50" Gravely and there is push mower work at my house as the bigger mower WON"T fit.

Ijustwantausername
08-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Guard comes off the before the first time I use it.

yardguy28
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Okay maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase " a whack of stihl trimmers " as I forgot its a bunch of over worked,under paid, lonely yard monkey's reading this post ! ( I'm one too so no insults meant by this ). "" I HAVE A LOT OF STIHL STRING TRIMMERS ''' is that less dirty ??
As for the push mower part,well there is alot of tight spots you can't get a 50 or 60 inch mower into. I have a 50" Gravely and there is push mower work at my house as the bigger mower WON"T fit.

i just use the trimmer where the mower won't go.

the only time the 21 incher leaves the trailer is if i'm actually mowing a property with it.

randy100170
12-15-2011, 02:47 AM
We keep our guards on however we slide them up to where they are about 2 inches above the line when spinning. And we take the cutter bars or blade whatever you want to call it off . I feel a little protection from debris is better than none at all

randy100170
12-15-2011, 02:52 AM
We keep our guards on however we slide them up to where they are about 2 inches above the line when spinning. And we take the cutter bars or blade whatever you want to call it off . I feel a little protection from debris is better than none at all

Also dont run the twisted form of trimmer line it actually fools the operator and engine by allowing the engine to run faster and before you know it the line is to far our. Regular round line is actually consider commercial duty. Tornado twisted line is crap we tried it and nobody likes the twisted line

idealscape
12-15-2011, 08:43 AM
I didnt read through all the pages of this thread...all I have to say is...My guys take the guard off a trimmer and they find a new job. Plain and simple. In my experience I have found that guard or no guard the job gets done just as fast. We have (2) guys that work here than can weed eat circles around everyone else and have no problem with a guard. To each his own, but around here we keep them on.

lsylvain
12-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I found a happy medium and I like it. Take your guard and cut it so the string doesn't hit the guard then you can let out as much sting as you like but you still have a little protection from the crap. I've always ran with no guard after the first couple of tanks of gas to get it broken in without the added stress of the extra sting. last month I bought a new one and forgot to take it off before heading out to a big job and about have way through I said enough is enough of this stupid guard grabbed my snips out of my pocket and cut it instead of walking back to the truck and it worked great.

ddixon7
12-24-2011, 03:58 AM
I've never ran a trimmer with a guard. Can't get enough string. There is absolutely no need for a guard if you know what you are doing. The reason they put guards on there is because of liability because 99% of people do not know how to trim. They just don't. The only use I can see is on a high powered straight shaft when you have a brush cutter on there or you get tangled up in some heavy stuff, but for trimming, no need. I want to be able to get more than an inch of string out of the head and don't want the grass clumping up out of it. And, they don't really protect you, most objects that hit people in the face are ricocheted off of walls and other objects, not merely thrown straight backward. As long as the operator is coordinated enough to not dig into the dirt, or dig a trench when edging, then he will be fine.

SouthSide Cutter
12-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I ask this question and still no one has answered it. If you have a cut end it will cut better than a worn down end which is what you have with no guard. Take your trimmer let out all the line you want beat it on the ground concrete what ever, then get a new cut end and see how much better job is done. And if you cant see the difference, you dont need to be cutting grass!!!!! Its no difference guys than the blades on your mower.

Kingfish
12-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I ask this question and still no one has answered it. If you have a cut end it will cut better than a worn down end which is what you have with no guard. Take your trimmer let out all the line you want beat it on the ground concrete what ever, then get a new cut end and see how much better job is done. And if you cant see the difference, you dont need to be cutting grass!!!!! Its no difference guys than the blades on your mower.

This is very true:clapping: Merry Christmas South side

Federal Lawn Company
12-25-2011, 07:56 AM

You NEVER have to cut the line if you get some speed feed heads. I would quit the lawn business if they didn't make those. Pre-cut a bunch of lengths that fill the head, three full arm lengths for the large head, carry an extra length in your pocket to save a trip back to the truck when it runs out at the far end of a 10 acre cemetery *smile*, re-load in 20 seconds and keep going. If you bump out too much line, just twist the head and wind it back up a notch or two. Express mower parts sells them. If you're using anything else, you're wasting your time....guaranteed. Just one of my Cemeteries is THREE DAYS, ALL DAY LONG, with THREE GUYS, just the trimming. If you had a guard, 1- you couldn't get around all the "toys" people place around the graves (these are ground markers that most are buried half in the ground that have to be "burned off" at an angle), and 2- you couldn't lift the trimmer after the first day 'cause your arm would be worn slam out.

SouthSide Cutter
12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
You NEVER have to cut the line if you get some speed feed heads. I would quit the lawn business if they didn't make those. Pre-cut a bunch of lengths that fill the head, three full arm lengths for the large head, carry an extra length in your pocket to save a trip back to the truck when it runs out at the far end of a 10 acre cemetery *smile*, re-load in 20 seconds and keep going. If you bump out too much line, just twist the head and wind it back up a notch or two. Express mower parts sells them. If you're using anything else, you're wasting your time....guaranteed. Just one of my Cemeteries is THREE DAYS, ALL DAY LONG, with THREE GUYS, just the trimming. If you had a guard, 1- you couldn't get around all the "toys" people place around the graves (these are ground markers that most are buried half in the ground that have to be "burned off" at an angle), and 2- you couldn't lift the trimmer after the first day 'cause your arm would be worn slam out.

Mowed a cemetery, first two years with no guard. Echoes 261T's then went to Stihl 100's with the guard. Cut my time down and it was 5hrs straight trimming for me. And the guard does make a difference in weight. But I get a better job and faster with the guard on to keep a cut end on the string. And I know how much string is out and how close to get to things.

Federal Lawn Company
12-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Mowed a cemetery, first two years with no guard. Echoes 261T's then went to Stihl 100's with the guard. Cut my time down and it was 5hrs straight trimming for me. And the guard does make a difference in weight. But I get a better job and faster with the guard on to keep a cut end on the string. And I know how much string is out and how close to get to things.

But I guarantee that you wouldn't get NEARLY as close on the vast majority of graves in the cemeteries around here. There are so many trinkets and stuff around the graves, and so many of the markers are sunken and buried, that you have to get not only the grass and weeds, but a couple of inches of dirt as well. At least that's how I demand that it is done...NOTHING left on the granite. These markers aren't the upright ones. And many have been there for 50 years...settled below ground level. I tried to upload some pics to make it clear what we have to deal with around here, but I keep gettin a "bad request" from my browser. As far as the clean edge of a string, well, you won't have a clean edge here for 30 seconds. There's so much digging and grinding, it's pointless.

SouthSide Cutter
12-25-2011, 11:53 AM
But I guarantee that you wouldn't get NEARLY as close on the vast majority of graves in the cemeteries around here. There are so many trinkets and stuff around the graves, and so many of the markers are sunken and buried, that you have to get not only the grass and weeds, but a couple of inches of dirt as well. At least that's how I demand that it is done...NOTHING left on the granite. These markers aren't the upright ones. And many have been there for 50 years...settled below ground level. I tried to upload some pics to make it clear what we have to deal with around here, but I keep gettin a "bad request" from my browser. As far as the clean edge of a string, well, you won't have a clean edge here for 30 seconds. There's so much digging and grinding, it's pointless.

Alot of mine was the same way. Mine was only cut twice a month a real tuff job. And like you said some have more trinkets and toys than WalMart. I dont know how you trim but I found the fastest for me was to go down one side say the back first then also get the far end of the grave. Then turn around and come right back down the front then get the other end. I never stopped almost at a fast walk. But the ones with the trinkets took more time. Gave it up this year was just to much for me. Had to many other new accounts this year.

tony b
12-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I didnt read through all the pages of this thread...all I have to say is...My guys take the guard off a trimmer and they find a new job. Plain and simple. In my experience I have found that guard or no guard the job gets done just as fast. We have (2) guys that work here than can weed eat circles around everyone else and have no problem with a guard. To each his own, but around here we keep them on.

No offense but it sounds like you give estimates for a living. lol

jiggz
12-26-2011, 02:58 AM
I guess I'm the only person that loosens up the guard, slides it up a 1/2 inch and tightens it back up?

run all the string you want while keeping the saftey of the guard.. lol its that simple.. I try to limit the amount of **** that can hit my face

just noticed.. its my 500th post!! haha

ed2hess
12-26-2011, 08:20 PM
But I get a better job and faster with the guard on to keep a cut end on the string. .

So you have a theory that the very tip of the string is doing the work? And the cut-off blade on the guard is what makes the sharp cut on the string?

Darryl G
12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
I guess I'm the only person that loosens up the guard, slides it up a 1/2 inch and tightens it back up?

run all the string you want while keeping the saftey of the guard.. lol its that simple.. I try to limit the amount of **** that can hit my face

just noticed.. its my 500th post!! haha

I did something similar on my son's Husqvarna trimmer because it runs the string really short in factory configuration. I took the cutter off and flipped it over so that it's at the edge of the guard instead of sticking in and filed the edge, since that edge was blunt. On my FS110 with the bike handlebar trimmer I took the bottom skirt with cutter off so I can run the string longer. On my Shindaiwa trimmers they're just fine with the guards on in factory configuration.

SouthSide Cutter
12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
So you have a theory that the very tip of the string is doing the work? And the cut-off blade on the guard is what makes the sharp cut on the string?

The way I run one yes. When I run one without a guard it cut the best when I had a new end that I cut with a pair of side cuts. They would cut but not as good. Was cutting several pond dams and I cut the fastest with the guards on and keeping a new edge. Have run them both ways for over 11 years now and will never run one without the guard. And I know the weight adds up to. Just go fishing with a 1/4 ounce spinner bait then put on a 3/4 and see how the ol wrist performs all day.

ClineLawnCare
01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
The guard is the first thing we remove when we buy a new trimmer.

thethirstymoose
02-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I dont like the guards, however I try to leave them on, but I do take the razoe blade off, and alter the guard, by cutting the bottom of, so it's a little more flatter, and alows me some longer line. The only reason I like to keep the guards on is to avoid rocks being thrown through wndows.

Richard Martin
02-08-2012, 06:10 AM
The only reason I like to keep the guards on is to avoid rocks being thrown through wndows.

Just how does a guard that only covers a small portion of the back side of a trimmer prevent rocks from going through windows? The ONLY purpose of a guard is to protect the operator.

StihlMechanic
02-08-2012, 06:17 AM
I used to love guys who complain about how their coils go out once a year after removing the guard. I have explained it a million times yet noones seems to care. Basically if you prefer to remove the guard, then prepare for premature coil and clutch failure and dont blame the mfg.

Richard Martin
02-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I used to love guys who complain about how their coils go out once a year after removing the guard. I have explained it a million times yet noones seems to care. Basically if you prefer to remove the guard, then prepare for premature coil and clutch failure and dont blame the mfg.

If it ever happens (it hasn't since 1998) I promise not to blame the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

WJC
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
If it ever happens (it hasn't since 1998) I promise not to blame the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Same thing here, I'm sure they run hotter but I havent had any failures.

thethirstymoose
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Just how does a guard that only covers a small portion of the back side of a trimmer prevent rocks from going through windows? The ONLY purpose of a guard is to protect the operator.

Well not sure how it all works, but I can tell you, when we run trimmers with the guards naturally removed, because they are flimseyand break I get complaints from the guys that work with me, they feel like they are being sandblasted.....the trimmers with the guard shield that, it's all in the velocity of the head...we always trim gong to the left, because of the way the head spins.........go the other way and the trimmer throws things out towards objects

ralph02813
02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Well not sure how it all works, but I can tell you, when we run trimmers with the guards naturally removed, because they are flimseyand break I get complaints from the guys that work with me, they feel like they are being sandblasted.....the trimmers with the guard shield that, it's all in the velocity of the head...we always trim gong to the left, because of the way the head spins.........go the other way and the trimmer throws things out towards objects

Not for nothing, but if you turn your trimmer upside down and look at the bottom side of the guard - ya gotta wonder who puts that stuff there.

I have a cub cadet 4 stroke started it up one day lots of twine out clunk clutch blew it worked great for 2 years before.

Valk
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Guards are removed when new with every string~trimmer I've ever owned. I've NEVER had a clutch or coil issue...and I edge with them having never owned a true edger whether wheeled or stick.

Yes, removing the guard results in more projectiles toward the operator, but it saves a LOT of time, and a LOT of string. By walking backward while edging the vast majority of the flying debris is moving away from the operator and thusly allowing a clear view of the edging action.

USE EYE~PROTECTION ALWAYS!!

FWIW, curved shaft trimmers rotate the head the opposite direction of straight shaft trimmers.

dtford
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
go through 2 or 3 every couple of years, always take the guard off. Go through way too much line with it on

thethirstymoose
02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Take the razor off it wont cut your line and trim the curved part of the guard and you can run you line a little longer......I don't mind the guard, I also don't mind it it's off too

dtford
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
If you do this for a living, trimmers are throw away items. If I get 2 years from a trimmer, im happy. cost you more to have someone repair it than what its worth.
Use em up, beat the crap out of them, throw em out. keep a couple for parts

thethirstymoose
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Are you serious? I have trimmers from way back I have a 30yr old green machine.I don't use it much, But I use it on my lawn, just for kicks.....my other shindaiwa's I have had for at least 5 years or more, I fix em myself, and the most expensive thing I have ever put on them is a new bump head......I might have put a carb on one......I learned a long time ago to buy quality stuff, I used to burn up cheap trimmers 2-3 a year, $100 bux a pop so I bought a green machine, got a good 10 years of use out of it, well worth the money...what do you do with your old trimmers? If they are Shindaiwa's sell 'em to me, I'll fix em

mikeypizano
02-08-2012, 09:01 PM
I started to run a Stihl FS90r and I will NEVER remove the guard and I personally think anyone who does so is wrong. In my opinion, only idiots remove it. Two years is LUCKY? What the hell are you doing with it? Using it as a hammer?

Valk
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Learning to trim on a curved-shafted trimmer will make transitioning to a straight-shafted trimmer a real struggle...and vice versa.

cgaengineer
02-09-2012, 11:53 AM
No guard on the trimmer I use...that's how I roll.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fred B
02-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Wow,

I am stunned on how many people use trimmers without guards. I will admit when I first started out 25 years ago it was nice to lose the guard and make the weight lighter. But now that I employ 30 odd people and are mowing nothing but shopping centres, commercial and industrial parks I wouldn't be caught dead without a guard. I do make some slight modifications to guards when nessecary but that is it. If anyone gets hurt the first thing Workers compensation, OHS or insurance will ask "was there a guard in place and was the employee wearing safety glasses" assuming it is an emploeye injured. If not then you as the owner are in deep crap.

Anyone who does not wear CSA approved steel toed foot wear and eye protection at the minimum should not be in the business. During my younger years I also did not wear hearing protection, I am paying for it now and now I always wear that as well and all my employees have too as well as with CSA flouresent vests or t shirts.

cgaengineer
02-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't remove them for weight, I do it for more string.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Anyone who does not wear CSA approved steel toed foot wear and eye protection at the minimum should not be in the business.

Most boots will actually have the ASTM F2413-05 compliance. That is what is sown into the tongue of my boot. I also wear ear plugs and shatter resistant glasses with an ANSI approved clip on sunglass. I just don't have the guards on my trimmers.

Fred B
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Don't you guys worry about liability. People these days are stupid they don't think for them selves and if something happens to them it is never their fault. Take this senerio:

You are trimming along a sidewalk at a shopping mall. Someone approaches you from behind so you cant see them. Your weedeater cord hits some pea gravel that was left there from snow removal and it hits the guy behind you which is possible. So now he has an eye injury that you caused even though good sense would say he should keep a safe distance away from you. But he has not been trained on a weedeater so he does not know what a safe distance is. So his lawyer and yours are going to ask " was all safety equipment installed and checked for non damage before the incident". Did you do your due dilagence? Now same senenerio you have all of your CSA approved PPE on, you have a guard on your weedeater you are wearing a high visibility vest or t shirt. Occupational health and Safety, your lawyer will say you have done all your due diiiagence, you as a company are requiring all of your employees to adhere to a health safety policy and you are also an employee of your company. By doing this you have significantly reduced your public liability exposure.

Fred B
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Most boots will actually have the ASTM F2413-05 compliance. That is what is sown into the tongue of my boot. I also wear ear plugs and shatter resistant glasses with an ANSI approved clip on sunglass. I just don't have the guards on my trimmers.
If you have employees who wear glasses you should be requesting them to be shatterproof and have side sheilds on them. And give that request to the employee in writing and have them sign it for your records. It once again covers your ass in case the get an eye injury. It's all part of training the employee, so you can CYA.

yardguy28
02-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow,

I am stunned on how many people use trimmers without guards. I will admit when I first started out 25 years ago it was nice to lose the guard and make the weight lighter. But now that I employ 30 odd people and are mowing nothing but shopping centres, commercial and industrial parks I wouldn't be caught dead without a guard. I do make some slight modifications to guards when nessecary but that is it. If anyone gets hurt the first thing Workers compensation, OHS or insurance will ask "was there a guard in place and was the employee wearing safety glasses" assuming it is an emploeye injured. If not then you as the owner are in deep crap.

Anyone who does not wear CSA approved steel toed foot wear and eye protection at the minimum should not be in the business. During my younger years I also did not wear hearing protection, I am paying for it now and now I always wear that as well and all my employees have too as well as with CSA flouresent vests or t shirts.

i agree about keeping the guard on. i will not sacrifice quality or speed over safety in that case. so the job takes a bit longer with the guard on (which IS debatable), i'd rather be safe and take a little longer.

but i disagree about the boots. i wear hearing protection and safety glasses but my boots are whatever i get at red wing or a catalog or whatever. they are never steel toed. i don't think thats necessary in this industry for the most part. certainly not for every day maintenance like mowing, trimming, edging, hedge pruning, etc.

Fred B
02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
i agree about keeping the guard on. i will not sacrifice quality or speed over safety in that case. so the job takes a bit longer with the guard on (which IS debatable), i'd rather be safe and take a little longer.

but i disagree about the boots. i wear hearing protection and safety glasses but my boots are whatever i get at red wing or a catalog or whatever. they are never steel toed. i don't think thats necessary in this industry for the most part. certainly not for every day maintenance like mowing, trimming, edging, hedge pruning, etc.

Accidents can happen, 99% of the time you are ok not wearing steel toes or other safety equipment. But it is not just lawn mower blades to worry about. There are steel ramps that must be lowered and raised several times a day. Some dumb ass drops a ramp on his toe and breaks it. Are you going to still pay him while he can't work? If he decides to go on disability they are going to ask "where are his CSA approved boots" and it will come back to you.

My posts are generally more directed to companies that have employees. In 27 years of commercial lawn maintenance I have seen alot of things happen due to a lack of commen sense or training. I say this for a cover your ass thing. To a person who is a one man show I guess it is up to himself but you still have the public to be aware of.

Here is one example and I will use myself as one since I did it to my self.

Who wears chain saw chaps while hedge pruning? I never used to and never even thought about it. I was pruning at a large commercial site about 10 years ago and had been pruning for 6 hours. Alot of shrubbery in a confined area as I was pruning I moved to get in between some bushes next thing I know I caught an edge of a shrub and the pruners stalled on my leg. The blades went right through my jeans and literaly stalled just above my knee. 20 stiches later and me being a little wiser after the incident it is now company policy to wear chaps while hedge trimming.

You can hum and haw if you need them for yourself as a sole propriotor but if you have employees it sure is a good policy as now I have several pairs of chaps that have dings in them from hedge trimmers.

This is just one example of safety that we might not even think of.

ralph02813
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Accidents can happen, 99% of the time you are ok not wearing steel toes or other safety equipment. But it is not just lawn mower blades to worry about. There are steel ramps that must be lowered and raised several times a day. Some dumb ass drops a ramp on his toe and breaks it. Are you going to still pay him while he can't work? If he decides to go on disability they are going to ask "where are his CSA approved boots" and it will come back to you.

My posts are generally more directed to companies that have employees. In 27 years of commercial lawn maintenance I have seen alot of things happen due to a lack of commen sense or training. I say this for a cover your ass thing. To a person who is a one man show I guess it is up to himself but you still have the public to be aware of.

Here is one example and I will use myself as one since I did it to my self.

Who wears chain saw chaps while hedge pruning? I never used to and never even thought about it. I was pruning at a large commercial site about 10 years ago and had been pruning for 6 hours. Alot of shrubbery in a confined area as I was pruning I moved to get in between some bushes next thing I know I caught an edge of a shrub and the pruners stalled on my leg. The blades went right through my jeans and literaly stalled just above my knee. 20 stiches later and me being a little wiser after the incident it is now company policy to wear chaps while hedge trimming.

You can hum and haw if you need them for yourself as a sole propriotor but if you have employees it sure is a good policy as now I have several pairs of chaps that have dings in them from hedge trimmers.

This is just one example of safety that we might not even think of.

It didn't take me 20 stiches, just a shoe full of blood, I always wear jeans or shorts with the double thigh protection.

FoghornLeghorn
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
How does running a trimmer without a guard help you work faster? If I really feel like hustling, I can trim faster than a meth addicted, olympic sprinter Ninja.

I can practically run with the trimmer, although I don't because it looks so stupid. But most of the time, I feel like the trimmer could not keep up with me. And we use Echo 280-T trimmers with Speed Feed heads, so we're set up for speed.

I'd rather spend the extra 10 minutes a day trimming, than have an employee with a sliced open lip from a rock hitting him in the face.

Besides, I just don't see how removing a SAFETY DEVICE designed to protect you and your employees can help you trim faster when the trimmer can't even keep up with the operator as is...

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
How does running a trimmer without a guard help you work faster?

Lighter weight equals less fatigue and instead of having to walk around a lot of objects you can get all of the trimming done from one side.

Not everyone has the endurance of an Olympic marathon runner. :walking:

mikeypizano
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I'd rather spend the extra 10 minutes a day trimming, than have an employee with a sliced open lip from a rock hitting him in the face.

Exactly. How much time does it REALLY SAVE? I guess maybe if your doing a wide open area but I have done that with the guard on, and still finished in 30 minutes which would have taken me an hour with a mower.

Valk
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
The degree of maneuverability is significantly increased with the guard removed. What I can see when edging while walking backwards is a huge difference. The amount of string saved is very much appreciable.

To each their own. If the guard is there to basically only protect me (which it is)...then I willingly give it up to save time trimming/edging and restringing trimmer-heads FAR less often.

cgaengineer
02-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Exactly. How much time does it REALLY SAVE? I guess maybe if your doing a wide open area but I have done that with the guard on, and still finished in 30 minutes which would have taken me an hour with a mower.

If you had a 150 Townhome community like I do with areas that you cannot access with even a 21" mower you would remove your guard. Some of the areas are so tight that I can barely get back to rear patios to blow debris because with the blower on my back I cannot fit between the privacy fences that intersect retaining walls with a 2.5' gap. These areas, even of you could get a 21" mower you still couldn't cut because it's a swale.

Not everyone has 2000 sq ft homes that have grass growing to the exterior that you can mow against. The Townhome (150 units)community and the elderly community (77 homes) we maintain...trimming and edging is not measured in feet...it's miles. One sidewalk, a strip of grass and a highback curb...3 edges to edge and 227 driveways to edge. Removing the guard makes my 130 Stihl a mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-11-2012, 12:15 AM
How does running a trimmer without a guard help you work faster? If I really feel like hustling, I can trim faster than a meth addicted, olympic sprinter Ninja.

I can practically run with the trimmer, although I don't because it looks so stupid. But most of the time, I feel like the trimmer could not keep up with me. And we use Echo 280-T trimmers with Speed Feed heads, so we're set up for speed.

Besides, I just don't see how removing a SAFETY DEVICE designed to protect you and your employees can help you trim faster when the trimmer can't even keep up with the operator as is...

Lighter weight equals less fatigue and instead of having to walk around a lot of objects you can get all of the trimming done from one side.

Not everyone has the endurance of an Olympic marathon runner. :walking:

it doesn't really speed things up that much. it's all in these guys heads.

i can trim around an object from one side with my guard on. you think i actually run a circle around a tree? well ok sometimes i do but not always. especially small ones. same with metal posts.

lighter weight? really? come on guys, you gotta do better than that. those trimmer guards are made of plastic. they don't lighten the trimmer that much :hammerhead:

ralph02813
02-11-2012, 06:03 AM
it doesn't really speed things up that much. it's all in these guys heads.

i can trim around an object from one side with my guard on. you think i actually run a circle around a tree? well ok sometimes i do but not always. especially small ones. same with metal posts.

lighter weight? really? come on guys, you gotta do better than that. those trimmer guards are made of plastic. they don't lighten the trimmer that much :hammerhead:

I am weird, and my gear is weird becuase I have never seen excess twine flying of the spool to be chopped off by the cutter on the guard. I think we all work a little different, I think I am older than most, so the least amount running around is best for me, I like to think of it has personal strategy, I have spent a lot of time thinking and rethinking my approach to each yard - the guard for me is a nice tool.

Richard Martin
02-11-2012, 06:39 AM
I am weird, and my gear is weird becuase I have never seen excess twine flying of the spool to be chopped off by the cutter on the guard. I think we all work a little different, I think I am older than most, so the least amount running around is best for me, I like to think of it has personal strategy, I have spent a lot of time thinking and rethinking my approach to each yard - the guard for me is a nice tool.

Let me also add, some of us have stick limbs. I'll admit it. I can take my 2 hands and wrap them around my middle thigh and touch finger to finger. The less weight the better. On my Stihl FS80 trimmers there a small chunk of aluminum on the trimmer gear box that the guard attaches to. I even cut that off.

My good buddy Derek at Ron Ayers Motorsports in Greenville, NC is my Stihl dealer. He has been trying for years to get me to buy one of the 4 Mix trimmers. There is no way. They're already grossly out of balance with the guard on when the handle is placed in the factory position. If I were to remove the guard to make it lighter, I couldn't use the trimmer because it would be so far out of balance.

cgaengineer
02-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Let me also add, some of us have stick limbs. I'll admit it. I can take my 2 hands and wrap them around my middle thigh and touch finger to finger. The less weight the better. On my Stihl FS80 trimmers there a small chunk of aluminum on the trimmer gear box that the guard attaches to. I even cut that off.

My good buddy Derek at Ron Ayers Motorsports in Greenville, NC is my Stihl dealer. He has been trying for years to get me to buy one of the 4 Mix trimmers. There is no way. They're already grossly out of balance with the guard on when the handle is placed in the factory position. If I were to remove the guard to make it lighter, I couldn't use the trimmer because it would be so far out of balance.

Wow...To think, I am a small fella and I use a KM130
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeypizano
02-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Wow...To think, I am a small fella and I use a KM130
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I use the FS90r and I can only lift about 50 pounds and don't ever think it is heavy at all.

yardguy28
02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
it must just be me, maybe i'm the weird one.

i've never come across a single trimmer by any brand that i find "heavy". i've never found one that seems out of balance either.

when i buy new trimmers so far i've left the dealer and gone straight to work with them because the one i was using broke in the middle of the day and i didn't have a back up.

i just pick up the trimmer and use it. i don't find them heavy, awkward, out of balance or anything. i never make any adjustments to the guards, handles or anything. they remain the way they were when i purchased them from the dealer.

when i've picked trimmers out i've never even considered the weight or balance. i bought the last one i had because the dealer said this is what most of the guys were using and for the amount i use them this was the best one. can't remember the model number i wanna say it's the fs75. the middle of the road one i'm sure. i currently do between 40 and 50 accounts a week so i don't need the higher models because my trimmers aren't running constantly for 8 hours a day. but i've held most all the trimmers on the market at one point in time and one doesn't seem all that heavier than the other. certainly not to make an issue out of it. for me anyway.

mikeypizano
02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
i just pick up the trimmer and use it. i don't find them heavy, awkward, out of balance or anything. i never make any adjustments to the guards, handles or anything. they remain the way they were when i purchased them from the dealer.

That is the same exact thing I did. I went to dealer, picked up my FS90r, and went back to work.

FoghornLeghorn
02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Yea, I find that most guys over analyze everything. I used to do the same thing, I'd obsess over every detail and would never get anything done.

Now, I just buy top of the line equipment, leave everything stock and have the guys work hard.

It's simple: Find good work, and get the job done right. The customer doesn't care about anything but safety and a good final product.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Yea, I find that most guys over analyze everything. I used to do the same thing, I'd obsess over every detail and would never get anything done.

Now, I just buy top of the line equipment, leave everything stock and have the guys work hard.

It's simple: Find good work, and get the job done right. The customer doesn't care about anything but safety and a good final product.
Posted via Mobile Device

exactly right.

when i pick equipment my concerns are what kind of quality will it produce and is it the right piece of equipment for the job.

i'm not gonna pick up every trimmer looking for the lightest one. they all weight about the same. like i said i told the dealer how many accounts i do a week and she made a recommendation. i went with it and have been totally happy. thats how i've purchased my last 2 trimmers.

same thing with blowers. i just want the one that fits my needs. i don't put them all on my back trying to find the lightest one.

mowers are pretty easy purchase too. how well does it cut. and since i stick with the same brand year after year after year i don't really mess with demoing them. i know they will cut good.

when i picked out my last one i never demoed it. in fact they didn't even have one on the floor. they ordered it. and my next one will probably be a very similar purchase. i'll go and see what they have and pick out what i want.

again since i know the brand and have used them ever since i've been in the business i know they will cut good.

i don't over analyze about fuel efficience, weight, etc.

mikeypizano
02-11-2012, 12:50 PM
exactly right.

when i pick equipment my concerns are what kind of quality will it produce and is it the right piece of equipment for the job.

i'm not gonna pick up every trimmer looking for the lightest one. they all weight about the same. like i said i told the dealer how many accounts i do a week and she made a recommendation. i went with it and have been totally happy. thats how i've purchased my last 2 trimmers.

same thing with blowers. i just want the one that fits my needs. i don't put them all on my back trying to find the lightest one.

mowers are pretty easy purchase too. how well does it cut. and since i stick with the same brand year after year after year i don't really mess with demoing them. i know they will cut good.

when i picked out my last one i never demoed it. in fact they didn't even have one on the floor. they ordered it. and my next one will probably be a very similar purchase. i'll go and see what they have and pick out what i want.

again since i know the brand and have used them ever since i've been in the business i know they will cut good.

i don't over analyze about fuel efficience, weight, etc.

I tend to do it a little but usually I pick something and buy it. If I have to wait to get it, I start looking at the other stuff but I still come back to first choice almost every single time. :laugh:

I don't demo anything, I do my research and ask around. I picked out my trimmer quick and I don't think I could have done any better for the price at all! I did some research into blowers because I didn't want to spend the extra for a Stihl, and now I am back to Stihl and buying the BR600 soon as I get the money I need saved up. I will be buying a Honda HRC216HXA so I figure I shouldn't cheap out now.

jackal
02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I take off the cutter leave the guard on my sthils. I think the worn down end does as well as a cut one, after all it is sharper. A pound makes a difference in a trimmer. I just ordered a new RX 100 which is a pound or so lighter than the FS 90.

yardguy28
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I tend to do it a little but usually I pick something and buy it. If I have to wait to get it, I start looking at the other stuff but I still come back to first choice almost every single time. :laugh:

I don't demo anything, I do my research and ask around. I picked out my trimmer quick and I don't think I could have done any better for the price at all! I did some research into blowers because I didn't want to spend the extra for a Stihl, and now I am back to Stihl and buying the BR600 soon as I get the money I need saved up. I will be buying a Honda HRC216HXA so I figure I shouldn't cheap out now.

thats pretty much me. i do any research i want to do before i head out to buy unless something breaks in the middle of the day like a trimmer and i don't have a back up and need one asap. but i'm not in that situation any more. i have back up trimmers now.

since i stick with the same brands of equipment i know the quality. so when i need a new trimmer it's just a matter of checking out all the trimmers stihl offers and picking the one that fits my needs.

same goes for mowers. if i know i want a stand on i'll be picking out another grandstand or an exmark vantage. if i decide i want a sit down ztr then i'll be looking at lazer z's most likely.

I take off the cutter leave the guard on my sthils. I think the worn down end does as well as a cut one, after all it is sharper. A pound makes a difference in a trimmer. I just ordered a new RX 100 which is a pound or so lighter than the FS 90.

i disagree. maybe it's because i'm young and strong but i don't think a pound makes a big difference in trimmers.

maybe you guys use your trimmers more than i use mine.

i'm solo. the trimmer gets out for every property to trim the normal stuff. it's not getting used 8 hours constantly. it's not in my hands all day long.

maybe a pound makes a difference if all you using day after day is a trimmer and nothing else but not for me. sure i notice the weight difference but no trimmer has ever caused me fatigue.

i pay no attention to the weight what so ever. half the time i pick out a trimmer i don't pick it up until i've purchased it and walk out the door with it. it's certainly not a deal maker or breaker for me.

cgaengineer
02-12-2012, 02:33 PM
thats pretty much me. i do any research i want to do before i head out to buy unless something breaks in the middle of the day like a trimmer and i don't have a back up and need one asap. but i'm not in that situation any more. i have back up trimmers now.

since i stick with the same brands of equipment i know the quality. so when i need a new trimmer it's just a matter of checking out all the trimmers stihl offers and picking the one that fits my needs.

same goes for mowers. if i know i want a stand on i'll be picking out another grandstand or an exmark vantage. if i decide i want a sit down ztr then i'll be looking at lazer z's most likely.

i disagree. maybe it's because i'm young and strong but i don't think a pound makes a big difference in trimmers.

maybe you guys use your trimmers more than i use mine.

i'm solo. the trimmer gets out for every property to trim the normal stuff. it's not getting used 8 hours constantly. it's not in my hands all day long.

maybe a pound makes a difference if all you using day after day is a trimmer and nothing else but not for me. sure i notice the weight difference but no trimmer has ever caused me fatigue.

i pay no attention to the weight what so ever. half the time i pick out a trimmer i don't pick it up until i've purchased it and walk out the door with it. it's certainly not a deal maker or breaker for me.

Our edgers and trimmers run just about all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Our edgers and trimmers run just about all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

well if they are running all day and people are spending the whole day with a trimmer or edger in there hand then i could see where weight of the equipment would matter.

but i'm solo. the only time the trimmer is held is by me when i'm trimming. which isn't all day. i spend a good portion of the day on my toro grandstand. and a very small portion of the day with a backpack blower.

so for me a pound difference between one trimmer or the next isn't a concern.

Valk
02-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Try attaching a 1 lb weight to your trimmer-head...and ignore it ALL DAY....and don't back to us. Then we'll know that an extra 1 lb doesn't matter in the slightest.

A balanced trimmer is a beautiful thing.
(Go ahead and quote me on this.)
$0.02

cgaengineer
02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Try attaching a 1 lb weight to your trimmer-head...and ignore it ALL DAY....and don't back to us. Then we'll know that an extra 1 lb doesn't matter in the slightest.

A balanced trimmer is a beautiful thing.
(Go ahead and quote me on this.)
$0.02

Hell, try eating at McDonalds 3 times in one week and gaining a pound or two...you will complain when your pants waist is too tight. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Like I said, edge a few miles of curbing and you too will remove edger rear wheel and also the guard.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Hell, try eating at McDonalds 3 times in one week and gaining a pound or two...you will complain when your pants waist is too tight. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

how about 6 to 7 days a week and never gaining a single pound?

yep i maintain pretty much a steady weight. sure it goes up a pound or 2 here and there but it no later drops a pound or 2.

i eat breakfast at mcdonalds 6 sometimes 7 days out of the week. usually 2 sausage mcmuffin with eggs, a bacon egg n cheese biscuit and a large mocha frappe.

mikeypizano
02-12-2012, 08:23 PM
large mocha frappe.

*GAG* McDonalds Mocha stuff is horrible! :eek::eek:

cgaengineer
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
how about 6 to 7 days a week and never gaining a single pound?

yep i maintain pretty much a steady weight. sure it goes up a pound or 2 here and there but it no later drops a pound or 2.

i eat breakfast at mcdonalds 6 sometimes 7 days out of the week. usually 2 sausage mcmuffin with eggs, a bacon egg n cheese biscuit and a large mocha frappe.

And let me guess...you are under 25 too...It will catch up with you I promise. I was just like that, stayed at 155 for years, now I have to watch what I eat. Got down to 155 last season but I'm back at 165 again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Well, it was nice knowing you.

cgaengineer
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, it was nice knowing you. (while you were skinny)

Lol...edited your post...
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
nope i'm 30 and while i do wanna shed 10/20 lbs i'm right where i want/need to be in my weight.

i had the weight down before winter but i always put a little bit on during the winter months with the holidays and only working when it snows.

ralph02813
02-14-2012, 07:54 AM
nope i'm 30 and while i do wanna shed 10/20 lbs i'm right where i want/need to be in my weight.

i had the weight down before winter but i always put a little bit on during the winter months with the holidays and only working when it snows.

That gives you another 10 years to ignore your eating habits - then, and only then will you wake up and wonder who turned your calorie burning motor down and where the hell the 10 more pounds got added on after last year where you worked all year and barely lost 5. And, my friend you will learn that at that same time, you will begin to loss muscle mass - they are the big calorie burners, if you eat right only 5% of it will disappear in a year.

Valk
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Being thin doesn't ensure health or fitness...but we all seek places to hang our hats.

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Well, I seen that this has got a little off topic but I just thought I would add that I don't use a guard on any of my trimmers either. I mow cemeteries and you can't get much done with a guard on. I do wear safety glasses and I have never had any trouble with safety.

larrylawns
02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Using a trimmer without guard shorten life of trimmer so have fun throwing them away I'll keep mine
Posted via Mobile Device

K&L Landscaping
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Using a trimmer without guard shorten life of trimmer so have fun throwing them away I'll keep mine
Posted via Mobile Device

Trimmers, for my crew, are pretty much disposable anyway so the guards come off immediately. I don't expect a $400 piece of equipment to last for years on end. My trimmers get used hard 40+ hours per week in season. If I get 2 years out of 'em I'm satisfied.

larrylawns
02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Disposable income is what made America what it is
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Trimmers, for my crew, are pretty much disposable anyway so the guards come off immediately. I don't expect a $400 piece of equipment to last for years on end. My trimmers get used hard 40+ hours per week in season. If I get 2 years out of 'em I'm satisfied.

This...

The way I look at it is time=money...the time I save in a season by letting out more string allows me to profit more and also buy new trimmers. We use 130's, they can easily handle 18-20" or line.

Besides, like I said before...we trim places where not even a 21" mower will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

DALLAS WARD
02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I been told to keep it in the truck in case code compliance or city inspector ask you were it is. I dont use it. I think must off us think it is in the way, and it slows you down. But allways have eye protection and i stop when a pedestrian is passing by.

Valk
02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
For the umpteenth time: The guard only protects the user...and it most certainly doesn't always do it anyway.

I've taken the guard off every single trimmer I've ever owned. I want to save time, save string...and be more effective/efficient. A guard limits where you can put your trimmer head (IE around an above ground gas meter, etc...)

My old (RIP) RedMax lasted 8+ solid years with no guard...with the same stock clutch and it never even needed a wrench put to it EVER. I use trimmers as my edger as well - 100% of the time.

If you're going to run a lot of string like cgaengineer said, you need to move up the line to an even more powerful trimmer to mo bettah get the job done.

I've found that square-shaped string sends WAY more debris flying...as another poster had put it a few years ago, it's the fungo bat of trimmer lines.

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no doubt that using a trimmer without a guard does shorten the life of the trimmer. However, in my application, using a guard just isn't feasible. I run Stihl trimmers and a trimmer normally lasts 1-2 years without the guard. For no more than they cost, it seems reasonable to me.

mikeypizano
02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
There is no doubt that using a trimmer without a guard does shorten the life of the trimmer. However, in my application, using a guard just isn't feasible. I run Stihl trimmers and a trimmer normally lasts 1-2 years without the guard. For no more than they cost, it seems reasonable to me.

Seriously? If my Stihl only lasted me one year I would be PISSED! My Craftsman is 4yrs old and besides the few parts that broke, like guard and tube (yes, I REPLACED my guard! *GASP*), I could just get a new head for it and it would still be used right now. If a COMMERCIAL trimmer dies before junk form Sears I would be ranting and raving and throwing at fit at the dealer. Have fun wasting your money!

cgaengineer
02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Seriously? If my Stihl only lasted me one year I would be PISSED! My Craftsman is 4yrs old and besides the few parts that broke, like guard and tube (yes, I REPLACED my guard! *GASP*), I could just get a new head for it and it would still be used right now. If a COMMERCIAL trimmer dies before junk form Sears I would be ranting and raving and throwing at fit at the dealer. Have fun wasting your money!

Take the guard off your craftsman and run out 20" of string and let us know how many days it lasts.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeypizano
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Take the guard off your craftsman and run out 20" of string and let us know how many days it lasts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I am not stupid enough to run it like that. :laugh:

cgaengineer
02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I am not stupid enough to run it like that. :laugh:

That's why we buy the Most powerful engine and remove guard...I have 2+ hp at my disposal to trim with.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeypizano
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
That's why we buy the Most powerful engine and remove guard...I have 2+ hp at my disposal to trim with.
Posted via Mobile Device

My FS90r does all I need and I see no reason to take the guard off. If anyone with a Stihl don't want the guard, send it to me so I can have a spare.

Fred B
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
My question would be if you are running 20 inches of string out of a weedeater, why are you not using a lawn mower?

K&L Landscaping
02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
My question would be if you are running 20 inches of string out of a weedeater, why are you not using a lawn mower?

Have you ever considered that some people have to weedeat looonnnggg creek banks and other rocky, uneven areas? I have lots of applications where I need 20" of line where a rotary mower will not go. It's not like some of us only trim around objects in a lawn. If that was the case, I would have several 22cc trimmers rather than 35cc trimmers.

cgaengineer
02-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Because like I said, I cannot get a mower behind some of the townhomes we do. They have privacy fences that intersect with retaining walls and leave barely enough room to walk through.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Have you ever considered that some people have to weedeat looonnnggg creek banks and other rocky, uneven areas? I have lots of applications where I need 20" of line where a rotary mower will not go. It's not like some of us only trim around objects in a lawn. If that was the case, I would have several 22cc trimmers rather than 35cc trimmers.

These people trim around houses where grass grows all the way to foundation and around trees and light poles. I on the other hand have many areas where no mower will go, but I need as much cut length as possible to saver time. I also like how I can trim all the way around a pole without having to walk around it.

Here is one of the properties we do (two of us)

427 Loganville Highway
Winder‎ GA‎ 30680
United States

We do the entire project except for the two large building near the road (retail)

Take a look at some of the back yards of the townhomes...no mower will fit, I have to lift my blower above the BBQ grills that are built into patios to access these places with grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm a one man show. I run a Echo SRM-225 with the guard on. All I do is residential properties and have no spaces I can't get into and I don't mind walking around the whole tree to get it done.

Now IF I did have a steep bank to handle or lived in an area where it was super hilly and it would be unsafe to run a mower and I would have to line trim the area sure I'd run without a guard if I had to because thats the only way it could be done.

I personally believe it depends on the terrain and the type of properties you deal with but it is probably safer to run them with the guard concerning employee's and the public.

weaver
02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
How does not having the guard on cause engine failure?
Posted via Mobile Device

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-16-2012, 12:52 AM

I guess I am just hard on things. I would like to note that I don't use professional use Stihl trimmers though, I currently run a FS55R.

thethirstymoose
02-16-2012, 01:17 AM
You guys must be pathetic.to think a guard will slow you down or get in the way? Gees.I agree the guard doesn't allow long enough line, so I personally take the razor off so it lets me trim a little longer line but does it slow me down......no it actually is nice when I set it down, kinda props the trimmer up instead of setting everything on the ground............but I like the guard just for protection, however they don't last long

yardguy28
02-16-2012, 10:55 AM

1-2 years and you think the price is reasonable for lasting only that long?

for what they cost they better last longer than that, with or without the guard.

These people trim around houses where grass grows all the way to foundation and around trees and light poles. I on the other hand have many areas where no mower will go, but I need as much cut length as possible to saver time. I also like how I can trim all the way around a pole without having to walk around it.

Here is one of the properties we do (two of us)

427 Loganville Highway
Winder‎ GA‎ 30680
United States

We do the entire project except for the two large building near the road (retail)

Take a look at some of the back yards of the townhomes...no mower will fit, I have to lift my blower above the BBQ grills that are built into patios to access these places with grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

i'm gonna consider myself talented because here is yet another person insinuating that you can not trim around a pole with the guard on and not walk around the pole or tree.

i leave my guard on and i don't walk around the pole or tree (depending on how large the tree) to trim it.

i can stand in one place and trim around the whole pole without lifting my feet on the ground.

orangemower
02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
1-2 years and you think the price is reasonable for lasting only that long?

for what they cost they better last longer than that, with or without the guard.

i'm gonna consider myself talented because here is yet another person insinuating that you can not trim around a pole with the guard on and not walk around the pole or tree.

i leave my guard on and i don't walk around the pole or tree (depending on how large the tree) to trim it.

i can stand in one place and trim around the whole pole without lifting my feet on the ground.

but you're god and can do anything without moving your feet. :hammerhead:
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 12:10 PM

And when he does move his feet it's so he can walk across water. And all because he has a guard on his trimmer. :)

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 12:17 PM
You know something? I've noticed there are two distinct types of posts in these guard or no guard thread. There's the guys that don't use one and then there's the guys that do. The big difference is the guys that do use them belittle all of the guys that don't use them. They threaten them with trimmer explosions, call them pathetic and other names. Ease up there guard guys, we just prefer not to use a guard.

weaver
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
You know something? I've noticed there are two distinct types of posts in these guard or no guard thread. There's the guys that don't use one and then there's the guys that do. The big difference is the guys that do use them belittle all of the guys that don't use them. They threaten them with trimmer explosions, call them pathetic and other names. Ease up there guard guys, we just prefer not to use a guard.

Does it really shorten the life span of the trimmer though? Just wondering i seen guys say it does but cannot figure out how it would.

yardguy28
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And when he does move his feet it's so he can walk across water. And all because he has a guard on his trimmer. :)

ok ok i can take a little joking.......

but seriously i don't need to remove the guard to be able to trim around a post without walking in circles around it, like some of the people have posted.

i can see how no guard saves you time allowing the line to come out longer which in turn gives your a larger swath but thats about it. i certainly don't buy the reason that you can trim around a pole or small tree without walking circles around it because i can do that too and i leave the guard on.

well richard i'm not trying to belittle anyone for anything on this website.

i'm simply answering the OP about whether to leave the guard on or take it off.

my answer is leave it on. the main reason is safety. the other reason is i don't feel it speeds things up so much so to sacrifice that safety. and even if it did, i personally put safety before all else.

you wanna take your guard off by all means go ahead. but my personal opinion is to leave it on.

APLUS LAWN CARE
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Amen to that!

cgaengineer
02-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

If I remove my guard it frees up so much weight I actually levitate.
Posted via Mobile Device

thethirstymoose
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
for all of you guys that don't want your trimmer guard, I could use few, need a t-262. t-270, a few T-272, t-27..let me know what you have, Thanks.These are all for Shindaiwa trimmers

cgaengineer
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
for all of you guys that don't want your trimmer guard, I could use few, need a t-262. t-270, a few T-272, t-27..let me know what you have, Thanks.These are all for Shindaiwa trimmers

We removed the Shindaiwa from our guards and tossed them. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

thethirstymoose
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Well send me your shindaiwa, and keep the guard funny boy

cgaengineer
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Well send me your shindaiwa, and keep the guard funny boy

We tossed em and bought Stihl's!

Actually I have never used one...it was just a joke.
Posted via Mobile Device