PDA

View Full Version : 36 Grandstand or 36 Turf Tracer

mastruck04
04-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. I'm leaning towards the GS, but I still haven't made up my mind.

What are your thoughts? the good, the bad, the ugly.

THanks

Southern Pride
04-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Man that's tough. Obviously the Grandstand has the upper hand. I wanted a grandstand, just not for 6-7k and I got interested in the TTHP so I bought Toro's version of that. The Hydro's allow for the reverse so I can use it just like a ZTR and that's what attracted me to it. It has a two wheel sulky I can back up fine with too but the grandstand has that platform that's obviously wayy better than riding a sulky. I believe rider fatigue would also be far less on a grandstand rather than riding around on a sulky. Not sure why that is but it makes sense.

PTP
04-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Where are you from? I have a 36" Grandstand that I am seriously considering selling. It is in very good condition. There is less than 100 hours on the engine and I could save you a couple thousand off of new.

mastruck04
04-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm in St Louis MO. PM me and see if we can work something out.

My other question is, I weigh about 260 or so. Will the front end be off the ground on this thing.

mastruck04
04-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Anyone else have any input?

grassman177
04-24-2011, 12:15 AM
we just this week bought and used a 36 granstand. WOW, that is a serious and able machine. very productive for a 36. worth the money

ElephantNest
04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
My 36" Turf Tracer is over 7 years old, never been in the shop once for repairs, leaves the best cut of any mower I've ever seen (not just used, but seen), and is much more maneuverable than a grandstand, being that you can easily lift the deck to go over roots, hoses, etc. by simply pushing down on the handle bars. 100's of hours, and all I've done is maintenance.

BigMike450
04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm 300 GS will wheelie on occassion but if you get used to it it's preventable.I have weight kit on my 48 GS don't really wheelie unless I want to on purpose.

LALawnboy
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
My 36" Turf Tracer is over 7 years old, never been in the shop once for repairs, leaves the best cut of any mower I've ever seen (not just used, but seen), and is much more maneuverable than a grandstand, being that you can easily lift the deck to go over roots, hoses, etc. by simply pushing down on the handle bars. 100's of hours, and all I've done is maintenance.

This ^ is why I'm not sold on stand-ons being more efficient. The amount of times I'm lifting up the mower going over uneven terrain, cypress tree knees, or any other obstacle would make a stander unusable for me. At least on riders you have the foot pedal. But how in the world do you lift up with a stander?

fastlane
04-24-2011, 11:29 AM
It depends on what other mowers you have. You can get the TT anywhere the GS will go. but not the other way around.

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
we just this week bought and used a 36 granstand. WOW, that is a serious and able machine. very productive for a 36. worth the money

Weve ran stands for awhile have 8 now. Very durable and clean cutters. Might add some weight to the front. But Gstand or wright!!!

Reliable 1
04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I'd say it depends on your application and the type of lawns you service. If a majority of them are wide open areas, you are definitely better off with a GS....as you will be able to maximize on what a stander would allow you to do. I have a Exmark Vantage and I love mine....but I can also tell you there are times that my walk behind is better suited....again goes back to my original point...depends on your application and types of lawns you are servicing. Can't go wrong either way and good luck!

GrandMaster
04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I'd say it depends on your application and the type of lawns you service. If a majority of them are wide open areas, you are definitely better off with a GS....as you will be able to maximize on what a stander would allow you to do. I have a Exmark Vantage and I love mine....but I can also tell you there are times that my walk behind is better suited....again goes back to my original point...depends on your application and types of lawns you are servicing. Can't go wrong either way and good luck!

Just get both LOL! You'll use them !

Reliable 1
04-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Agree with GrandMaster....get 'em both. My ideal set up would be my current mowers plus a 36 Vantage. This addresses the customer that have gates along. Maximize productivity through effective and efficient utilization of hardware and manpower. Helps keep you profitable and productive.....and you can maintain quality control without being concerned about volume. Has worked very well for me....

MowingMowingMowing
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I haven't ran stand ons yet, I just can't seem to get away from walk behinds, particularly Turf Tracers. They can go just about anywhere, don't scalp, and leave a great cut.... So my verdict is, Turf Tracer because it can handle just about any situation (particularly inclines where the stand ons are not even a comparison).

grassman177
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I haven't ran stand ons yet, I just can't seem to get away from walk behinds, particularly Turf Tracers. They can go just about anywhere, don't scalp, and leave a great cut.... So my verdict is, Turf Tracer because it can handle just about any situation (particularly inclines where the stand ons are not even a comparison).

i think i could suprise the hell out of you side by side:drinkup:. i am considered the slope master and have cut serious ones for many years with about every type of machine, standons are by far the best....just saying

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
go with the turf tracer, it will go places the grandstand will not, unless you run only flat areas with your 36 then a stander would be good, why arent you looking at the 36" vantage instead of the toro??

grassman177
04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
i have a question you seem to be able to answer .

do the exmark decks clog in wet conditions and is the discharge affected during the dreaded spring conditons?

i have seed plenty of exmark show signs of clogging(not series 6) while mowing around here, and was curious on your experiences.

ours, toro decks barely buildup and seem to be fairly self cleaning. i have a test right now with one of them and FF on very well cleaned deck to see how it holds up to some of the worst conditions of mowing all year...the next three weeks or longer.

alexschultz1
04-25-2011, 11:37 PM
buy the gs, your cutting time will be around half of what it would be with a tt and ou dont have to walk. they make sense, and they pay themselves off. plus the resale of these mowers will be very high for a while

dvgross
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
There is an HOA around my house that uses a company that has GS's, and it looks like the worst cut I have ever seen. It is on a little bit of a slope, but it looks like garbage, and I would never buy one because if that. TTHP is the way to go if you want the best quality cut. If you want a stander, I would look at another company.

grassman177
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Then they dont know what they are doing.our experience with the turbo force its new, not long time biased, and it cuts"like a laser"!i mean extreme crisp cut....to the point of rediculous
Posted via Mobile Device

dvgross
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Then they dont know what they are doing.our experience with the turbo force its new, not long time biased, and it cuts"like a laser"!i mean extreme crisp cut....to the point of rediculous
Posted via Mobile Device

That's kind of what I figured, but it is really bad. I'll try and get a picture of it some time in the future.

brian1425
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I am looking at 36 GS right now. Any problems with rutting? The tires look fairly small. I am looking for a better cut than I am getting with my Gravely. Also looking at the vride even though I missed out on the fleet pricing. So, will I be happy with cut? Mostly flat open areas.

Chevy z71
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
You would love the nice cut of a scag.