PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on landscape & wall design

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 12:44 AM
HOPE TO HEAR SOME FEED BACK ON THIS DESIGN...I had designed another one a few days ago but changed it to this now.

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
its not letting me upload the original design:confused:

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-23-2011, 01:07 AM
the design that is uploaded i don't like. There isn't really much bed design, your just making a small border retaining wall were the beds already are and filling it with ornamental high maintenance flowers ,shrubs and grasses. Since the house isn't a mansion, try to make the landscape big so it doesn't make the house looks so small. The left part is fine with what you have since the sidewalk is parallel with the house but on the right side, try to add some curves and bring out the beds some more to create some shape.

Lets be honest, that house is horribly ugly, but as a landscaper you need to make it look nice and clean. Create some curve and eye pleasing colors.

Here is what i mean by curves:

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 01:37 AM
I appreciate the input! Trust me when I met with the owner I said the same exact thing! They dont want the beds any bigger and without making the beds bigger I cant curve the wall on the right side it wont look right at all... I had orig met with the owner and basically walked the same patern youve done on the right but they dont like that idea. I think basically they want a landscape wall but want as little as possible in length to save $. I also wanted to put in a flowering ornamental tree on the right but they insist on NO tree at all. Its a hard one for me to design because they have so much input on what they want and don't want. Also up close to the house it is alot of shade. N facing front hence the reason im trying to bring in mainly all perennials that will survive shade or at least part sun. As for high maintenance, I dont see that much maint. involved with the current design.

Oakleaf landscape
04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Make sure in your estimate you put in cleaning that roof!!! Damn that thing is UGLY!!!

Sutherland
04-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. There's also no theme/style to the design, it just seems like you put an array of individual plants. I just finished a design that didn't see any direct light as well and there are plenty of options. What about a more Rudbeckia, you have the one plant but a mass of those would really make it pop. Azaleas would be great on that property as well. I'd worry about the grass you have in the picture. I don't know if the scale of that grass is accurate, you may end up blocking the window.

I'd want to see a similar plant on each side of the stairs and maybe Euonymus on each edge of the house. Lamium would be nice on this site as well, a ground cover that likes shade, has small flowers and interesting verigated leafs.

ZKSLAWN
04-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. There's also no theme/style to the design, it just seems like you put an array of individual plants. I just finished a design that didn't see any direct light as well and there are plenty of options. What about a more Rudbeckia, you have the one plant but a mass of those would really make it pop. Azaleas would be great on that property as well. I'd worry about the grass you have in the picture. I don't know if the scale of that grass is accurate, you may end up blocking the window.

I'd want to see a similar plant on each side of the stairs and maybe Euonymus on each edge of the house. Lamium would be nice on this site as well, a ground cover that likes shade, has small flowers and interesting verigated leafs.

I agree with this. except im not a huge fan of the lamium.. if you do that just keep it under control and don't let it take over.

White Gardens
04-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Normally I like an asymmetrical design but that house is so symmetrical that I would want to see balance. .

Agreed, need balance. The original design is to random.

The house and beds are too small to try and randomize. Keep it simple and clean. Just look at it and think of how you would want it to look, not only after the install but 15 years from now.

Choppasuit
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Which program are you using to create the design?

TPS
04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Would also like to know what program you are using?

weeze
04-23-2011, 04:54 PM
get rid of all the flowers next to the sidewalks...they will be growing and hanging all over the sidewalk...i can't stand that lol...i'm not a fan of big flower beds and stuff everywhere...it just means more maintenance and upkeep...simpler is better in my opinion...i'm not sure what that other drawing was that guy did but i don't like it since it comes way out into the yard...i would say leave the walls like you have in your first pics and get rid of all of that in front of the walls...i'm coming from a grasscutting point of view though...i don't like things that are in the way or that make it harder to mow the grass lol...if you really wanted to get fancy you could bring the wall all the way out to the inner edge of the sidewalk and put lights inside of it on the face of the wall to light the sidewalk

wallace014
04-23-2011, 07:49 PM
here's something simple,basic,and cheap the cut leaf maple is a low budget tree to use shouldn't cost more then 60-110

McG_Landscaping
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I like that one ^^

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Make sure in your estimate you put in cleaning that roof!!! Damn that thing is UGLY!!!

Im a landscaper not a roofer lol I will leave that to the pro's

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Which program are you using to create the design?

I am using Realtime Landscaping By Idea Spectrum... It came with 3 programs - Realtime landscaping photo, Architect & Picture editor which is basically a cheaper version of photoshop. I like the program alot it has alot of plants & material

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 11:45 PM
get rid of all the flowers next to the sidewalks...they will be growing and hanging all over the sidewalk...i can't stand that lol...i'm not a fan of big flower beds and stuff everywhere...it just means more maintenance and upkeep...simpler is better in my opinion...i'm not sure what that other drawing was that guy did but i don't like it since it comes way out into the yard...i would say leave the walls like you have in your first pics and get rid of all of that in front of the walls...i'm coming from a grasscutting point of view though...i don't like things that are in the way or that make it harder to mow the grass lol...if you really wanted to get fancy you could bring the wall all the way out to the inner edge of the sidewalk and put lights inside of it on the face of the wall to light the sidewalk

If anything the landscape infront of the wall on the left hand side will make the lawn cutting easier, since right now there is a 3ft strip of grass where I would be planting and filling with large river rock

CJCuttingEdge
04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
here's something simple,basic,and cheap the cut leaf maple is a low budget tree to use shouldn't cost more then 60-110

I like that design also but here is the problem. (1) The home owner does not want the wall to extend all the way to the driveway with the fear of hitting it with their car or me hitting it when plowing, (2) The home owner does not want any trees planted :nono: (3) They also do not want shrubs (4) They want as much color as possible without being too expensive (5) The house faces north so I must use shade perennials in the back near the house, part sun infront of the wall and corners............................................. (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) lol :dizzy: I presented a design today to them and found out no shrubs, ever greens etc etc etc... we have made some changes (per owners request) and I think we have a design ready to go:clapping:

wallace014
04-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I like that design also but here is the problem. (1) The home owner does not want the wall to extend all the way to the driveway with the fear of hitting it with their car or me hitting it when plowing, (2) The home owner does not want any trees planted :nono: (3) They also do not want shrubs (4) They want as much color as possible without being too expensive (5) The house faces north so I must use shade perennials in the back near the house, part sun infront of the wall and corners............................................. (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) lol :dizzy: I presented a design today to them and found out no shrubs, ever greens etc etc etc... we have made some changes (per owners request) and I think we have a design ready to go:clapping:

wow she doesn't sound too picky :hammerhead: lol, but good luck and keep us updated i want to see the final outcome

CJCuttingEdge
04-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Just bored playing around with yet another concept/design idea :confused: idk im too tired :sleeping: LETS HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS GUYS

CJCuttingEdge
04-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Heres a pic with both sides included

wallace014
04-24-2011, 12:42 AM
i just don't care for the plants in-front of the wall it takes away the beauty of the wall itself

CJCuttingEdge
04-24-2011, 12:47 AM
i just don't care for the plants in-front of the wall it takes away the beauty of the wall itself

I see your point, just can't extend the wall anymore and they also don't want grass there so I'm basically stuck under a rock. Ah oh well its their house not mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I still think you are trying to mash too much stuff in a small place. Even some of the plants you've put in are going to over-grow the space.

Another thing to keep in mind is the winter time. Is it going to be completely blank, or are you going to put any evergreens in?

CJCuttingEdge
04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I still think you are trying to mash too much stuff in a small place. Even some of the plants you've put in are going to over-grow the space.

Another thing to keep in mind is the winter time. Is it going to be completely blank, or are you going to put any evergreens in?

The planting space is actually much deeper then the picture shows. I can't plant any evergreens in the landscape per owners request

White Gardens
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Here's my idea.

You are the proffesional, not the homeowner you need to let them know what will look the best for the over-all value of the property.

Why no evergreens? What is the reasoning? Your client is letting you be creative.

Do multiple designs, show different options. The best part of a 3-D graphic design program is the ability to play with the design without wasting too much time.

CJCuttingEdge
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Here's my idea.

You are the proffesional, not the homeowner you need to let them know what will look the best for the over-all value of the property.

Why no evergreens? What is the reasoning? Your client is letting you be creative.

Do multiple designs, show different options. The best part of a 3-D graphic design program is the ability to play with the design without wasting too much time.

I appreciate you taking the time and doing that. I think every one of us on here will agree that the landscape is missing shrubs.... I have told the homeowner that several times and they still insist they want no shrubs. :confused:. I would love to put a flowering orn tree on the right but they again want no trees. It seems like they almost want a landscape in the summer and a empty garden in the winter? They are "very allregic to evergreens" so thats a no go. They want perennials with color, the house is shade so it again limits what can be done. I feel I have done my part telling the owner what will look good and they still insist on knowing what they want.

White Gardens
04-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd run, you'll never please these people.

Never heard of an evergreen allergy, even if it's true it's probably conifers. Never had I heard of anyone being allergic to box-woods, holly's, and other broad leaf evergreens.

Sutherland
04-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Your new design is a little better but there are still some problems that I would have.
-Your lights are very unbalanced.
-The river rock in the bed and the retaining wall seem out of place.
-You have a small amount of variegated leafs

Some things I'd like to see.
-A mass planting of something, the Rudbeckia or the Hosta maybe.
-Looking at the picture I can't imagine the site really gets as little light as you said. Maybe adding something that tolerated partial shade would wise.
-Heuchera would add some color with the leafs, probably a good fit near the walkway.

dgw
04-24-2011, 12:52 PM
i like white gardens

my issue with your first couple is you werent drawing your focal point to the entrance , always do that

without evergreens , maybe work with klethra (cant think of right spelling)butterflys , maybe a limelight hydrangrea for focals and knockouts at the ends?

and mass some lirope lily turf , walker low catmint or coreopsis in there for a year round bloom

and personally with the colors of that house i would stay away from reds, oranges and pinks